[01]. Graduation

The Town Where It Always Rained

Summer 2015

Her

Chapter Soundtrack: Elephant Gun - Beirut

Maybe today will be different.

As Holly opened her eyes ever so slowly, she was filled with anticipation and hope. Hope that maybe, just maybe, things could be different today. But when she looked out the window, there was the rain--as usual. The pitter patter sound of the rain beating on the glass made her heart sink, the false hope shattering within mere moments.

Of course, because why would today be any different from any other day?

The town of Shadow Pines, a small population of 14 thousand, tucked away behind miles and miles of empty highway, tall mountains, and Evergreen trees in the state of Oregon, had always experienced rain. And Shadow Peaks’ unique weather conditions was not like oh we get a lot rain, but the town had literally not gone a day without rain in over 18 years.

No one knew why. The small town was famous in America for its rather strange situation but in the two decades the rain went on, no one could offer explanation as to what the cause of it was. Even the people of Shadow Pines had come to accept it. For the town, this was just a way of life.

But Holly always dreamed for more. Most folks had given up on the prospect of a clear day but Holly always held onto that small ray of hope. That maybe one day she’ll wake up and for once, even just for an hour, the rain will have let up and the sun could truly shine.

She was just hoping that maybe on the day of her high school graduation, life would give her a break.

Guess not.

- - -

They were on the Ps. Parker, Phelps, Philips…

Holly's graduating class wasn't that big so it was only a matter of time before Zimmerman was up on the list.

It was strange. Up until that day, even on the drive over to the school, Holly hadn't felt nervous about graduating high school. In fact, she was hoping to get it over with as quickly as possible. But now she felt an uneasy tingle in her chest as began to dry up. Why was she suddenly so nervous?

She held her graduation cap firmly down on her head as she titled her head back and opened wide to let some of the rain in.

"Nervous?"

Holly slightly jumped where she stood. She wasn't used to people making conversation with her and the voice practically startled her. She looked down to see the boy in front of him was looking at her.

"Uh, what?" she mumbled. She hadn't really heard him the first time.

"You're nervous, right?" the boy repeated. He mimed her drinking the rainwater and said, "I do that too sometimes; it helps when your throat gets super dry." He flashed her a quick smile.

He had a rather good smile. Holly didn't know what exactly qualified as a good smile and a bad smile but she knew that this boy's smile was a good one. When he smiled it was great and big, showing off his pearly white teeth while still somehow looking modest. And his eyes looked like they were only half open as they shaped into crescents, forming little wrinkles on the edges. It was a good smile.

But why the hell was he talking to her?

"Jeonghan Yoon!" the speakers boomed.

Suddenly the guy perked up, looked at the stage, back at her and said, "Oh my gosh that's me! I'm up! Wish me luck!" He pumped up his chest and confidently strided towards the stage leaving Holly absolutely dumbstruck.

It wasn't often that she interacted with other people, and usually people didn't leave much of an impression worth noting when she did. And yet this boy's enthusiasm and friendliness had struck her like a bolt of lightning.

As she watched him elegantly grace the stage and cheerfully greet the school principal and other official looking adults she didn't recognize, she suddenly realized who the boy was.

Jeonghan Yoon. Arguably the most popular student in their graduating year, Jeonghan had lived a life that one could only describe as the "dream high school scenario". He was the captain of their basketball and football team, one of the stars of the debate team, student body President, well liked by all his peers regardless of their social status, and somehow graduated valedictorian with all honors.

He was sort of a rockstar.

So why the hell did he talk to me?