Lucky Streak

Sugar Free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Lucky Streak

 

 

 

A petite blonde woman serves as a waitress in a café for two years. She went to the city two years ago just to work and get a nice salary. But her salary turns out low but enough for her daily needs. Everything was okay but the only problem is her hot tempered boss.

 

“TAEYEON!” yelled by a pale woman

 

“Y-Yes, Miss Jung?” Taeyeon said as she was busy in the kitchen preparing a pancake ordered by a customer

 

“WHERE’S THE RED VELVET CUPCAKE FOR TABLE 2? THEY’VE BEEN WAITING FOR TEN MINUTES!”

 

“Sooyoung is making one already Miss Jung.” Taeyeon said

 

“Deliver this Strawberry Frappe on table 6, quick!”

 

“B-But the p-pancakes...”

 

“JUST DO IT YOU STUPID FOOL! GEE, THAT’S WHY YOU’RE SO SLOW TO PICK UP YOU NEVER WENT TO COLLEGE...”

 

Taeyeon was hurt by the remark of her boss but neither the less chose to keep shut and obeyed the order. She went to out the kitchen and delivered the frappe on table 6. But she heard another yell from the kitchen.

 

“TAEYEON!”

 

“Y-Yes, Miss Jung?” Taeyeon hurriedly

 

“WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE PANCAKES IN THE KITCHEN?! TABLE 8 IS WAITING FOR IT! DON’T YOU HAVE COMMON SENSE AT ALL?!”

 

“S-Sorry Miss Jung...” Taeyeon immediately went to the kitchen counter and prepared the pancake. She put some flour on the bowl and get some eggs on the tray

 

“HURRY! WHY ARE YOU SO SLOW? ARE YOU INSIDE THE MOON?! YOU’VE BEEN MAKING THAT PANCAKE FOR TEN MINUTES!”

 

“B-But you told me to deliver the frappe on table 6...” Taeyeon closed her eyes as she cools down herself. She was holding two eggs on her hands. She is starting to lose her patience towards the insults and demands of her boss.

 

“DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT IS MULTI TASKING?! MY THREE YEAR OLD NIECE IS WAY SMARTER THAN YOU! WHY ARE YOU SO DUMB? I BET YOUR PARENTS ARE DUMBOS TOO THAT'S WHY YOU'RE LIKE THAT! URGH, SO STUPID!”

 

“THAT'S IT!”

 

Taeyeon attacked her boss by cracking the eggs on her hands on her boss' head.

 

“AAAAAHHHHH!” Miss Jung screamed in horror

 

The sticky slime of the egg drenched Miss Jung's hair causing her hair and her blouse to be sticky. Taeyeon's co-worker, Sooyoung, was shocked as she watched everything that's happening and later cheered for Taeyeon silently as she mouthed ‘Go,Tae!’ to her friend.

 

“WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!”

 

“THAT IS FOR INSULTING MY ENTIRE BEING FOR TWO YEARS!” she said as she cracked another egg on her boss' head and later went to the counter and get the money on it

 

“AND THIS IS FOR UNDERPAYING ME FOR TWO YEARS!” she said as she held the money on her hands

 

“I’M GOING TO REPORT YOU TO THE POLICE!”

 

“REPORT ALL YOU WANT! I’M GOING TO REPORT YOU TOO FOR MALTREATMENT AND VERBALLY ABUSING YOUR EMPLOYEES!” Taeyeon said

 

“Y-YOU...”

 

“I’M DONE WITH THIS CRAP, SO THANKS FOR EVERYTHING AND GOODBYE!” Taeyeon threw her apron away and went out the café. On her way out, someone called her name.

 

“Tae!” Sooyoung called her

 

“Are you coming with me too?”

 

“A-Ah...No. B-But...”

 

“What is it?”

 

“How will you go home?” Sooyoung asked worriedly

 

“Well, I’m going to ride a train I guess...”

 

“Are you sure you're okay?”

 

“I got the money...” Taeyeon showed her the money from her pocket

 

“Call me if you need anything, okay?” Sooyoung said

 

“Okay... And Soo?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You’re way taller than Miss Jung... Show her who's more dominant.” Taeyeon advised

 

“I'll take a note of that... Good luck Tae!... May the luck be on your side!”

 

“Well, they didn't call me Lucky Taeng for nothing.” Taeyeon waved goodbye and went away with nothing on her but her resignation payment which she claims all by herself.

 

 

Her life is now full of uncertainties of what will happen to her next after she lose her job.

 

She was walking down the streets and thinking how will she live her life next.

 

“No fame, no job, I’m nobody... Heck yeah, why did I ever existed in this world?”

 

 

She later on saw a shinning light from a Casino in front of her.

 

“Lucky Taeng, here I come! Gotta spend this money like a billionaire!”

 

Taeyeon spend her whole night at the casino.

 

 

 Wins over series of wins. She just can't stop playing

 

“LUCKY STREAK!” she screamed in happiness a s she won over and over again

 

Until, the sun goes up and her luck rans out.All her winnings came back to dust when she lost in Roulette. She bet all her chips and she lost. She even lost her money for her train ticket. All she got is 4 dollars on her pocket and a messy hair when she get out on the casino.

 

She sighed as she stared at her 4 dollar coins.

 

“What should I do with you?”

 

Yes, she's last night a rich man but when the morning comes, she's completely a pauper.

 

She later on saw a cigarette vending machine and later on decided to just buy a pack of cigarette.

 

“Better make use of what I have...” she said as she stared at the varies of pack of cigarettes on the vending machine.

 

“What the heck is this? $14 for a pack of cigarette?Seriously! Who invented the damn sin tax bill?!” she yelled at the machine in frustration.

 

Her eyes twinkles when she saw $4 on the lower left part of the vending machine.

 

“Lucky strike $4... Not bad.” she put on her four dollar coins on the machine but later on nothing came out of it.

 

“What is this? You eat up my money! Urgh, what a lucky day!” she later hit the machine and yelled at it “YAH, GIVE ME MY PACK OF CIGARETTE!” she said angrily and kicked the vending machine many times and something happened when she did it.

 

All cigarette pack came out of the machine; she can only stare in awe as what is happening. There was a minute of silence until she realized what is happening.

 

“LUCKY STRIKE!” she screamed in joy as she watched the cigarette packs come down on the floor. She later on get it all and put it on her eco bag.

 

“Wow, this machine wants me to die early due to lung cancer I see...” she chuckled “But anyway, this can be my 6 month supply... I guess my luck hasn't ran out yet.” she laughed and walked as she struggled to handle the cigarette packs on the eco bag. She suddenly stopped when a man wearing a top hat called her attention and get two packs of cigarette on her eco bag.

 

“Two Marlboro packs.” the man said and gave her 28 dollars in her hand. Taeyeon can only stare at the man as he went away and walk.

 

“W-Whoa...” Taeyeon said as she stared at $28 on her hands.

 

“LUCKY STREAK! HAHAHAHA! ON YOUR FACE DAMN ROULETTE!”

 

She had an idea of selling cigarette on the street to gain money for her train ticket. And then she did. A lot of patrons bought cigarette from her due to the reason that she lowered he price from the original price..

 

 

 

A small petite brunette saw her selling the cigarettes and shook her head disappointedly.

 

 

------

 

She was the town's health officer Lee Sunny. The city health officer Dr.Lee was bothered on the rise of asthma case on their town due to the numerous cigarette user so the doctor went to the town major slash superintendent to complain.

 

“Officer Hwang, please help.” Dr.Lee said

 

“Oh, Dr. Lee Sunny. What can I do for you?” the officer said as she stood up from her chair and talk to the doctor

 

“Isn’t it forbidden to smoke in non smoking area here on our town?”

 

“Ah, yes. Why?”

 

“Well, the asthma cases is rising due to the smokers not following the rule.”

 

“In what area?”

 

“District 9... And some kid is selling cigarette there. Many patrons buy cigarette from her. I find it somehow disturbing.”

 

“A minor selling cigarette packs?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well, I’ll take action for it right away...” the officer said

 

“Thanks officer Hwang, you’re the best major that’s been ever appointed in this town.”

 

“It’s my duty, no need to thank me.”  Officer Hwang said

 

 

-------

 

On the next day, Taeyeon was still having her lucky day. She's almost close on buying her train ticket due to the influx of the customers buying packs of cigarettes on her, until someone blow a whistle.

 

“Hey kid!”

 

She was about to yell at the person who called her kid until she saw a police officer wearing her uniform looking at her. She was so afraid that she ran away.

 

“AAAHHHH!”

 

Taeyeon ran away as the cigarette packs fall down on her bag due to her running. She hid on the distant wall.

 

“I’m safe here...” she said as she pants and hold her chest

 

Meanwhile, Officer Hwang tracked the packs of cigarette fell on the ground. She stopped on the wall that Taeyeon was hiding and saw her there.

 

“You could’ve been safe but your cigarette packs betrayed you.” the officer chuckled “Why are you running away?”

 

“I-I am i-innocent officer! I didn’t killed anbody!” Taeyeon said afraid

 

“Silly, I called you because the health officer in this town had been complaining due to rise of asthma cases in our town. Many of the smokers smoke on non smoking areas and those smokers buy cigar from you...And besides, a minor selling cigarette is strictly forbidden.” the officer said

 

“A minor?” Taeyeon scoffed and was about to yell but she realized she was talking to an officer

 

“I was about to fine you and file a case of public disturbance but you’re a minor so I cannot do that...”

 

That made Taeyeon kept shut

 

“How old are you anyway? Where’s your parents?”

 

“I-I’m...”

 

‘, I cannot say I’m 28! Think Taeyeon, think! Or you’ll go to jail!’

 

“14! Haha! Y-Yes, I’m 14 years old officer!” Taeyeon said as cracks because of lying

 

“Wow, you got a big voice over there.” the officer chuckled

 

“Oh, do I? I was j-just nervous. I-I guess, officer.” Taeyeon put an aegyo on her voice to conceal her ajumma voice. She has to act 14 or she will be filed a case

 

“Where’s your parents?”

 

“I-I...I do not know...”

 

“You do not know?”

 

“I’m lost...” Taeeon made an alibi

 

“And where did you get these cigarettes?”

 

“A-Ah... The v-vending m-machine outside the c-casino broke down when I- kicked it... So, I sell them to g-gain money ticket to t-train home.” Taeyeon said nervously

 

“WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE CASINO?” the officer was surely displeased

 

“I-I was lost! The lights are b-blinking..It’s soooo cute!... Mother said to follow the lights when I’m lost so I followed it...” Taeyeon said cutely as she act like a fourteen year old girl

 

“Where’s your mother?”

 

“I-I... I was lost on the train station... So...I-I w-walk and... I w-was left h-here...” Taeyeon made an alibi

 

“Aaawww, you poor little one. Come here cutie…” the officer hugged her and pats her head. “I’ll help you go home and I’m going to give your parents a lecture, big time!” the officer said

 

And in that moment, Taeyeon knew she was on a big deep of .

 

------

 

“So, what is our name cutie?” the officer asked as she held Taeyeon's hands as they walk towards the station. The officer definitely love children so skinship is not a problem for her.

 

“Tae...TaeTae!” Taeyeon fake her aegyo and laughed nervously

 

“Aaaah! Such a cute child!” the officer pinched her cheeks and Taeyeon was feeling really pissed off but decided to act for her own benefit

 

“I am Officer Hwang... Stephanie Hwang. I’m the town’s major.”  she said

 

“A-Ah...” Taeyeon chuckled awkwardly “Where are we going officer?” Taeyeon asked keeping her childish voice on

 

“I’m taking you to the police station...”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

‘Yeah, since you’re lost. You can call your mother there.”

 

‘... Why can’t this officer mind her own business and leave me alone?! I’m so doomed!’ Taeeon thought

 

“C-Call my m-mother?” she asked nervously

 

“Yes, do you know your mother’s phone number?”

 

‘I-I...”

 

“If not, I can page you to the missing persons list so that your mother can see you there.”

 

“NOOOO!” Taeeon said in higher pitch and the officer looked at her confusedly

 

“I-I k-know mommy's p-phone numb-ber...” Taeyeon said childishly

 

“Alright, child. Let's go and call your mommy.” the officer said

 

‘Ahhh, I’m a 28 year old woman for Pete sake! This is a shame calling my mother because I am missing? You kidding me bro? Urgh, seriously this officer!’

 

They arrived at the station and Taeyeon was in front of a telephone fidgeting her fingers.

 

“Go on child...” the officer said

 

“I-I....”

 

“Do you want me to call her for you?”

 

“Nooo!... I-I mean... I-I’ll do it o-officer.”

 

“Okay.”

 

‘Call me if you need anything okay?’ she remembered Sooyoung's words and called Sooyoung. When the phone rang, someone called Officer Hwang's attention.

 

“Officer Hwang, can you sign this?” a police of lower rank said

 

That divert the officer's attention away from Taeyeon. Exactly at that time, Sooyoung picked up her phone.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Soo, it’s me Tae...”

 

“Oh, Tae! What’s up?”

 

“I’m in a deep , pretend to be my mother...” Taeyeon said in a low voice

 

“Wait, what? I’m Soo Young not Soo Old!”

 

“JUST DO IT!”

 

“You sound like Miss Jung there.” Sooyoung joked

 

Taeyeon heard Officer Hwang’s voice ‘Is this all Officer Kwon?”

 

“Yes, thank you Officer Hwang.” the tanned police officer bowed and left

 

And suddenly, officer Hwang’s attention came back to Taeyeon

 

“M-Mommy!” Taeyeon squealed like a child on the telephone

 

“What mommy? Are you on drugs?” Sooyoung said on the other line “And what’s up with your aegyo? It’s so weird!” Sooyoung chuckled

 

“I’m here at the police station mommy...” she said in a childish manner

 

“Oooohh...” Sooyoung can only reply

 

“Can I talk to your mother TaeTae?” officer Hwang asked

 

“I-I...” Taeyeon gulped and her hands were sweating that the phone almost slipped through it

 

“Can I?” Officer Hwang insisted

 

“Y-Yes...m-mommy...o-officer will t-talk to you. Please be good at me I-I m-mean h-her.” Taeyeon said and prayed to the Lord above

 

‘Oh goodness gracious, please send Sooyoung divine intervention today...’ Taeyeon closed her eyes and opened it as she handed the telephone to the officer

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hmmm...”

 

“This is Officer Stephanie Hwang from the police department. Is this uhm...” the officer looked at me and asked me something “What's your last name cutie?”

 

“K-Kim...”

 

“Ah, sorry...Is this Mrs.Kim?”

 

There was a minute of silence on the line and Taeyeon was preparing herself to go to jail until something happened

 

“Y-Yes...o-officer.”

 

Taeyeon sighed in relief when she saw the officer’s facial expression

 

“Mrs.Kim. Your child TaeTae is with me today.”

 

“TaeTae?”

 

“Do you know where did I found her?”

 

‘Where o-officer?”

 

“Selling cigarette in front of a casino.”

 

Sooyoung can’t help but to chuckled on the other line.

 

“What’s so funny Mrs.Kim? She’s a minor!”

 

“N-Nothing o-officer...I...I-I’m crying!” Sooyoung faked her sobs

 

“A-Ah...sorry. But still, it’s clearly a form of irresponsibility from your part you see Mrs.Kim, your child was lost on the train station...”

 

“A-Ah...Yes! Poor Tae...I-I mean TaeTae. Sorry o-officer. C-Can I speak to Taeye...I-I mean TaeTae? O-Officer?”

 

“Sure.” Officer gave the phone to nervous Taeyeon

 

“Officer Hwang... This is the report you asked for yesterday.” someone told the officer and the officer’s attention was diverted elsewhere again

 

“YAH, TAEYEON... WHAT IS THAT?!” Sooyoung asked in the other line

 

“I spent my resignation money at the casino and got totally bankrupt... The vending machine of the cigars broke down when I kicked it so it all went out. I sold them to earn money for my train ticket to my home... I got caught and the officer thought I was a 14 year old minor...” Taeyeon explained lowly “Please help me Sooyoung... I need to go home.” she whispered

 

“Fine...but Taeyeon, you understand that your idea is crazy, right?” Sooyoung chuckled

 

Taeyeon noticed that officer Hwang was done with her business so the attention was diverted to her again. She suddenly changed her tone.

 

“M-Mommy!” she whined

 

“Oh, don’t do that Taeyeon. You sound so ugly!” Sooyoung cringed on the other line

 

“Can I speak to your mother again?” Officer Hwang asked

 

“Y-Yes...o-officer.”

 

“So, Mrs. Kim...Are you coming here to pick up TaeTae?”

 

“I’m afraid I-I cannot d-do that Officer...I already ride t-the t-train to o-our h-home...”

 

“Oh? You didn’t even noticed your child wasn’t there with you?” the officer said disappointedly

 

“Y-Yes...I’m sorry officer... However, Taeye...I-I mean TaeTae can ride the t-train to Valley Hill and I-I’ll pick her up i-in the station tomorrow.” Sooyoung said and made an alibi to help Taeyeon and reach agreement with the officer

 

“I see Mrs. Kim...I’ll give you a call once TaeTae arrived there with me.” and hang up the phone

 

“WAIT, WHAT?!” Taeyeon reacted as she was listening to the conversation to the other phone line in the police station and the officer looked at her and sighed “TaeTae, do not play inside the police station...” Taeyeon pouted fakely and the officer chuckled “Ayyy, this cutie!” she pinched Taeyeon's cheeks. Taeyeon can only sigh in annoyance

 

“I’ll take you home cutie okay? Don’t you worry child.” Officer Hwang said

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I'll keep you companied on the train... It's a long travel you know. I cannot let a minor travel alone.” the officer said

 

“I-I...I c-can go there a-alone!” Taeyeon said in a high pitch and the officer can only look at her “I-I mean..I do n-not want to be a b-bother at your w-work o-officer...”

 

“It will only take a day, so don't worry child. I'll appoint officer Kwon to replace me for a while.” she said

 

“B-But...”

 

“Give up cutie...I insist. Besides, you might get lost again” the officer said

 

Officer Hwang and Taeyeon are walking hand in hand as they walked out from the police station. Taeyeon’s hand was unusually sweaty.

 

“Cutie, your hand is sweating...” the officer chuckled “Am I that scary?”

 

“”H-Hmmm.” Taeyeon innocently nodded

 

“Don’t be scared. I’m not going to harm you.”

 

“O-Okay, offic-cer...”

 

There was a minute of silence until Taeyeon speak up

 

“Are we going to the train station now officer?”

 

“Well, the train is only up to 6pm and it’s now 7. I guess we’ll have to go to the Valley Hill tomorrow.”

 

“W-What do you m-mean?”

 

“I’m taking you to my house... Don’t worry, you’ll be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter