Chapter 1

The Arrangment

 

 

“You’re getting married.”

 

My train of thought stopped as I looked at my father, “What?”

 

“I have the keys to the new penthouse that you wanted. You’ll move in once you marry her. Oh and please, don’t make a scene.”

 

At first, I thought my father was joking, but here's the catch, he’s a solemn man. You would, at least, believe that a man like him would have a better judgment, but I guess he just proved me wrong.

 

I can’t believe it; I’m getting married to a ing stranger.

 

“She?” My insides boiled with anger. Maybe it's because, oh, I don't know, he's marrying me off to some woman!!!

 

“This was arranged even before you were born, Sooyoung." He sighed– his tired eyes showing off his naturally aged wrinkled, "CEO Jung and I came to an agreement that my first born child would marry his child. And I admit, it was a well sought out plan, until we both realized that there was no male in either of our families. But, we took into consideration that in both of our families, one girl likes the same gender; so we both agreed to continue with the arrangement."

 

Okay... he has a point... but, “But I’m not the first born child.” I mean, am I missing something? I’m pretty sure my sister Soojin is older than me.

 

My father smiled all too knowingly, “Your sister Soojin isn’t the first born child. You are legitimately the first born child that your mother conceived.” He stopped talking for a minute and I let his words sink in.

 

What the did he just say?

 

“Sooyoung…” My father let out a deep sigh before he continued, “Your mom never gave birth to Soojin. My was injected into another woman’s ovaries and she gave birth to your older sister. Soojin is your step-sister.”

 

She… What?

 

“I know this is a lot to sink in, but it's the reason to why I let her do whatever she wanted to do with her life.” He paused for a moment, “You were never supposed to be born. In fact, you were a pleasant surprise to both your mother and me.”

 

I know what he's talking about. My mom was not fertile, and yet one day she was pregnant with me. My grandma told me that I was a miracle. But as fate decided, my mother never raised me because she died giving birth to me. My father’s mom was the one who raised me while he took care of the company. And it just dawned on me why Soojin had always said that I was the lucky one, why I was the one with the silver spoon.

 

Step-sisters…

 

“CEO Jung… His daughter, what’s her name?” My brain was still trying to grasp that I was being married without my consent, and on top of that, I find out that my sister is actually my step-sister.

 

“Jessica Jung. I’m sure you have heard of her.”

 

You have got to be kidding me. Out of both daughters, it just had to be miss ice princess herself. “Yes, I’ve met her on a few occasions.” I find it amusing how many of our peers used to like her so much, even though she was a most of the time.

 

“Won’t this marriage be a problem?” Let’s get serious here. Korea isn’t very open to the idea where two people of the same gender marry. I personally have no problem with marrying someone of the same since I’m gay myself, but it’ll be an issue for future situations.

 

“Yes, I know what you’re referring to, but that is why we are marrying you both in the United States. We’ll get legal action over there, so don’t worry about it.”

 

I let out a sigh, “Can I get a divorce after a few years?”

 

My father shook his head, “No. Once you’re married, then you're married, end of discussion.”

 

I leaned back into my chair and thought about how everything would play out… My father is giving me the penthouse I wanted, but I’ll be sharing it with little miss face. I’ll be promoted to the CEO of our company soon, but since I’m getting married to her then that means that our businesses will be joined together, so I’ll have to be close to her…. What a pain.

 

“Sooyoung,” I looked up to meet my father’s eyes, “This isn’t something where you have a choice. I'm sorry.”

 

I nodded, “Can I please be excused? I need some time to let this all sink in.”

 

My father nodded and I got up from my seat, “Thank you.” 

 

I called my assistant once I stepped out of his office, “Hey Sunny, can you please clear out my schedule for today? I’m leaving for the day.”

 

“Okay. Is there a reason?”

 

I let out a sigh, “You’ll know soon. Bye Sunny.”

 

Once I ended the call, my finger pressed on another name, and I waited for a response. “What’s up Shikshin?”

 

“Meet me at the bar. I have some news for you.” I ended the call and walked to my car. I need a drink, and I need it now.

 

---

 

“What’s so urgent that I had to cancel my date with Tiffany?”

 

I looked at my drink and swirled the liquid inside my cup, as I held up my glass in mid-air. “I’m getting married.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes almost popped out of her sockets, “WHAT!”

 

My cup clinked as I placed it down. “Keep it down would you? My father just told me today that I’m marrying Jessica, the daughter of CEO Jung, and to add the icing onto the cake, Soojin is my step-sister. We’re not full blooded sisters.”

 

“You have got to be ting me.” She took my silence as an answer, “Can you, at least, divorce her?” I shook my head. Taeyeon let out a deep sigh and reached for a cup. She then served herself from the bottle that I bought and lifted her cup, “I’m sorry Soo.”

 

We clinked our cups and drank. 

 

Once upon a time, Taeyeon was in an arranged marriage, but she was lucky enough that the man had declined to his parents about the marriage and his parents had finally agreed with his demands. She was lucky. I always hoped that my father would let me marry who ever I wanted, but I guess things just aren’t going to play out that way. But whom am I kidding? I knew this would happen. Being the daughter of my father, an arranged marriage was bound to happen.

 

“Well, look at the bright side. At least, you’re marrying someone who’s ing hot. Come on, “Taeyeon leaned in and nudged my shoulder, “Don’t tell me that you don’t think that she’s not hot.”

 

I let out a smile, “You’re such a ert you know that?”

 

Taeyeon grinned, “You know I’m right.”

 

I shook my head and drank, “I don’t want to remember anything. Let’s get ing wasted.”

 

---

 

I stumbled into the house after Taeyeon’s driver dropped me off at my house. It was late as , but I sure as hell didn’t care. I saw one of my dad’s whiskey bottles and poured myself a cup.

 

As I made my way to the living room, I took big gulps of the scorching liquor that felt like water going down my throat. That’s how you know you’re ed up already when you can’t even feel the pre-affects of the alcohol to your body.

 

The huge portrait of my mother and father that was hung up on the wall. It's been there even before I was born. As a kid, I would always admire my mother's beauty. They say that she and I look alike, but I don't see it. I’ve only met her through pictures and videos. She acted like such a nice woman. 

 

The memory of my father’s words replayed in my head and I felt that boiling anger rise up again.

 

Why… Why me!

 

The cup shattered against the wall when I took my frustrations out on it. The whiskey in the cup splatted in all direction and even wet me. Seconds later shuffling sounds came towards me. “Sooyoung.” One of our maids quickly walked over and took away the bottle I still had in my hands. “Are you okay?”

 

“What is going on here?” My father walked down the stairs and looked at me.

 

“What? Can’t I drink?” I questioned him and he let out a sigh, “Come. Come Sooyoung. You’re drunk, so let me put you to bed.” He grabbed my arm and draped it over his shoulder. I absently nodded and followed him and the maid to my room.

 

“We’ll talk in the morning okay? Rest for now.” His soft voice barely made it to my ears as I slept under my sheets.

 

---

 

“Good morning.” I greeted everyone at the table and one of the maids served me coffee, “Thank you.” Its bitter taste relieved some of my thirsts.

 

I woke up this morning with a major a headache, and small fragments of yesterday came to mind as I freshened up.

 

“I heard you made quite a ruckus last night Soo.” My sister spoke as she sat next to her husband, and I smiled. “Really? I don’t recall such a scene.” 

 

My father cleared his throat before Soojin could say anything else. “Sooyoung. You’re meeting Jessica today for lunch. Clear your schedule for today’s afternoon. Understood?”

 

“Yes, Appa.”

 

“Oh and Sooyoung.” I looked at him, “Don’t drink like that when you’re with her okay?” I nodded once more understanding what he meant.

 

We ate in silence after that, and I left to work. When the afternoon finally came around, I told Sunny to look after any future arrangements while I was out. She just nodded and continued to type on her computer.

 

“Reservation for Choi.” I said to the man who was behind a desk at the said restaurant my father said I had to be, and he smiled, “Right this way Ms. Choi. One of our waitresses will be right with you in a moment.” I thanked the man and sat down.

 

Minutes later a woman attended me and quickly excused herself. My glass filled with wine and soft tunes hummed around me. I find it funny how pure wine could look, and yet a little too much of it can have you do the most unwanted things. A sigh escaped my lips.

 

She’s late, and yet I’m not surprised.

 

Minutes later a woman appeared and casually sat down, “You must be Sooyoung.” I looked up to see my future wife. “Aren’t you going to apologize?”

 

She rolled her eyes, “Sorry I’m late. I have no bull of an excuse, so can you please get the waiter to come and take our orders?”

 

I let out a snort, “Yes your highness.”

 

The waiter came and took our orders. Jessica spoke once she walked away. “Look Sooyoung, I’ll be honest with you. I don’t want to marry you.”

 

I looked up from my drink and let out a small smile. “And you think I do princess? Who in their right mind would ever want to marry you?”

 

Her expression turned sour for a second before she recomposed herself. After all, we are in a public place. She has to maintain her composure. “My father won’t let me get out of this one, so do me a favor and-“

 

“Woah, there princess. Now why would I help someone like you? What’s in it for me?” Oh hell no. If she thinks that I’m just going to help her out like that, then she thought wrong.

 

Jessica let out a sigh, “Whatever you want. Now, as I was saying, I need you to convince your father to put off this arrangement.”

 

I shook my head, “Not doing it.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I already asked. He said no. Also asked if I can get into a divorce, and he still said no. So, neither you nor I are getting out of this one. I suggest you it up because we are spending the rest of our lives together.”

 

“I am not going to sit around and let my father run my life. Thank you very much.”

 

“And you think that I’m happy with my father’s decisions?”

 

Jessica stayed quiet. 

 

“Look, instead of acting like a spoiled brat-“

 

“Excuse me? Did you just call me a-“

 

“Yes. I did.” I interrupted her sentence just like she did with mine. “ Now as I was saying-“

 

“I’m not a spoiled brat.”

 

I rolled my eyes, “Well you’re acting like one, and could you please stop being rude?”

 

Jessica let out a huff and she crossed her arms.

 

I find it ironic how I’m trying to be the adult here, and yet she’s the older one. “Instead making a big scene about this, let’s set some ground rules. Our fathers are marrying us and they're not letting us divorce, but that doesn't mean we can establish a well sustainable foundation for this stupid marraige. ”

 

This seemed to get her attention, “I don’t want you getting into my personal life, so if I’m not getting into yours, then don’t get into mine.”

 

Jessica leaned forward, “That seems reasonable.”

 

“Girlfriends and boyfriends are to be kept in secrecy. I don’t want my father approaching and asking me why is it that you have one.”

 

Her brows furrowed, “That would apply to you as well.”

 

“I know what is needed to be done. Don’t look at me for these types of things, when I’m the one saying them. “

 

“Whatever.” Jessica blew some hair that was on her face, and skin squirmed at the tone of her voice.

 

“Overall, we'll stay out of each others lives. When our parents are near, you better at least act like a decent wife. Does that pea size brain of yours understand?”

 

Before Jessica could say anything, the waitress came and served us our orders. She glared at me and gave the waitress one of her fake charming smiles. 

 

I can’t believe that I’m going to be stuck with this girl.

 

We didn’t talk much after that. We ate and then left our own separate ways. My father had called me to ask how’d it go and I told him it went well, that I liked her. I lied through my teeth, but it was necessary.

 

---

 

“Why did you want to meet?”

 

It’s been a month since Jessica and I have found out about the arrangements, and our fathers have been pestering us about the ‘dates’ we’ve been going out on. We usually just take a photo or two and then part our own ways just to make it look like we spent the evening together even though we didn’t.

 

“Here.” I tossed a box to Jessica and she caught it. “My father was asking me why you don’t have a ring, so there it is. Just wear it so he’ll stop asking me these stupid things already, and please do show it off. He's can be quite the annoyance.”

 

Jessica let out a snort, “Likewise.” She reached into her bag and handed me a box. “You’re not the only one who’s being hassled by her father.”

 

I opened the box and it revealed an engagement ring. I quickly slipped it on and looked around for someone, “Excuse me, sir. Could you take a picture of us?” The man nodded and I stood next to Jessica.

 

“Smile princess. Our fathers need to see the happy couple.” Jessica rolled her eyes and got close to me. I put my arm around her shoulder and we posed for the picture. “Thank you so much sir.”

 

The man excused himself and I looked at the picture, “Let me see.” Jessica leaned in and I showed her the picture. Her face scrunched and took my phone out of my hands, “I don’t like it. Let’s take another one.”

 

Jessica held onto my arm and lifted the phone out in front of us to take a selfie. “Get closer.” I leaned in a bit closer like she had said and before she could take the shot, she leaned in and kissed my cheek.

 

Her kiss took me by surprise, and I felt my body heat up immediately. Once my phone made a click sound, we looked at the photo. “Much better. Here. Send it to me.”

 

I cleared my throat and sent her the image, “And that’s it. I’ll see you Friday.”

 

We parted our own ways and I mentally scolded myself for being so flustered over that stupid surprise kiss Jessica planted.

 

Stupid Sooyoung. Get a hold of yourself!

 

---

 

“Come in.”

 

Someone knocked on my office door and she stepped in. “Hi, how may I help you?”

 

“You don’t know me do you?” I looked at the girl and narrowed my eyes. She does looks kind of familiar. Those sharp eyes… where have I-

 

“Does Jung ring a bell?”

 

My eyes widened, “You must be Krystal. Am I correct?”

 

She nodded and I smiled, “Please, have a seat. Would you like anything to drink?”

 

Krystal smiled, “Water will be fine.”

 

I called Sunny and asked her to bring some water for Krystal and she did. “So Krystal, what can I help you with?”

 

Krystal looked around my office, letting her eyes wander. “I just wanted to know how the person my sister is going to marry be like. I know about the private ‘rules’ you two have.”

 

I let out a sigh and set my work aside. “Look, Krystal, I don’t have anything against your sister it’s just that she can be a little-“

 

“y?”

 

“Err… well… hard to manage.”

 

She softly laughed. “You don’t have to make it sound like she’s an angel or anything. I know my sister very well.”

 

I smiled, “Is that so?”

 

“Would you like to grab some lunch with me? I wanted to ask you out on a sisterly date.”

 

“Sure. Let me just clean up and we’ll head out.”

 

Krystal nodded and we took my car to the restaurant of her choice. Once we were seated, a waiter took our orders and walked away.

 

“So what did you want to talk about?”

 

“I just…” Krystal let out a sigh, “I know my sister like that back of my hand, and since you’re going to marry her, then it would be handy to know how my sister is like.”

 

I paid close attention to Krystal’s next words, “Even though she has a cold like exterior, she’s a softy on the inside Sooyoung. I know her well, so please try to be patient with her. When she’s hurt, she’ll push everyone away, so no matter how much she pushes please try to push back twice as hard. She’s very stubborn and ignorant about things, and she won’t admit to things easily.

 

“What I’m trying to say is… Could you please take good care of my sister even though she says that she doesn’t need it?”

 

I softly smiled at Krystal. “Not even my own sister would do this for me. You have my word. I’ll take care of her, so don’t worry too much about it okay?”

 

Krystal smiled and the waiter served us our food.

 

We chatted a bit, and I found myself laughing at the stories Krystal would tell me of Jessica. Krystal in general is much easier to speak with, unlike her sister. She was very polite and mature for her age, which surprised me.

 

“Thanks for everything Sooyoung.” Krystal politely bowed and I smiled, “You’re welcome Krystal. It was nice talking to you. I hope we do this more often in the future.”

 

Krystal smiled, “Me too.” She excused herself and I walked back up to my office.

 

If only Jessica was like her sister, then this marriage wouldn’t be so bad.