Chapter IV

Love Me Tender (or Simply Love Me At All)

 

The envoys took a journey of about three days, and when they came back on the third night, the fire was piled high with wood. Everyone was in a celebratory mood since all the envoys had come back without any visible scratches.

“Sehunnie, they’re back!” Baekhyun busted into Sehun’s tent, where Sehun had been laying motionlessly simply staring up at nothing, thinking deeply. Sehun lifted his head to meet the gaze of the older Omega before lethargically dropping his head back to the furs.

“Helme gettup” Sehun grumbled, stirring slightly. Baekhyun helped him to sit up, steady hands on his back rubbing small circles.

“They all have come back safely, and the Alpha seems to have news he wants to share with everyone, so I’m excited for the announcement.” Baekhyun was almost vibrating with excited energy as he helped Sehun get his blood pumping again. Sehun stood up slowly and did some stretches before he sighed loudly.

“I’m ready to go.”

People were chattering excitedly, all gathered around the bonfire waiting for the Alpha to make his appearance. Rumors were flying around as if being thrown from person to person. Some had heard that the new pack was only a couple of wolves and that they were leaving. Others had heard we were absorbing them into our pack. Someone even started the outrageous rumor that one of them had seduced the Alpha into letting their Alpha rule our pack. With all these crazy ideas running around, Sehun was eager for the Alpha to clear up what was going on.

“Silence.” The Alpha stated in an uncharacteristically quiet voice. It was still an order though, so the crowd hushed. Onew, Amber, and Jungkook stood behind him, looking courageous and putting their faces up high in glory.

“We have spoken with the new pack in the area, and we have come back unharmed. They also wish to negotiate in peace, so we appear to have no reason to fear them currently. They are a smaller group that we had imagined, but they do not appear to wish to join our pack. As a peaceful group, we shall not force them to do so. The pack does, however, wish to be acquainted with our group, if only to smell out potential mates. Our envoy group said we would discuss this before agreeing. I will now open up discussion on this idea.” The Alpha said with great deliberation. The pack had been mating within the pack for many years, and new people were rare, especially in the remote forest where they were located. This meant the pack was relatively standoffish to strangers, and many would have to adjust to the idea of the new pack coming in and changing some things.

“Would the Omegas in our pack who are mated go into their pack? Or must they join our pack since we are the more powerful?” An older man in back shouted out.

“If any of them find a mate within our pack, they have decided they will all join us together.” Alpha responded coolly.  A murmur swept through the crowd like a wave, rising and then falling again back into silence.

“How would this event take place?” Baekhyun called from next to Sehun, the sudden loud noise startling him. The Alpha made direct eye contact with the Omega, making Baekhyun unconsciously scoot back an inch.

“Well we will be having a special ceremony soon, in honor of Baekhyun taking Sehun under his wing. I believe this will be the perfect time for the other pack to visit us, so they can join in some of the festivities.” The Alpha seemed slightly nervous about throwing that idea out there. Sehun assumed he did not want to offend Baekhyun by making a political move out of his personal event. Baekhyun stayed silent, voicing neither agreement nor frustration at the idea.

The rest of the meeting went rather boringly. Someone changed the topic to quality of furs in the tents, and someone else asked about specifics on the ceremony for Baekhyun and Sehun. Sehun zoned out the rest of the meeting, and started to imagine the new pack visiting. He wished they wouldn’t come during his bonding with Baekhyun, because that was already so much in one day. It seemed excessive to throw it all together like that.

“How do you feel about our celebration being turned into a political move?” Sehun asked Baekhyun as soon as they were back in Sehun’s tent on the outskirts of camp. Baekhyun sighed loudly, and flopped down onto the furs piled in the corner of the tent.

“I dunno. I mean this could mean meeting a mate, but I also want it to be about you becoming my wittle puppy-wuppy.” Baekhyun started to pout and make baby faces at Sehun, who simply rolled his eyes in response.

“I don’t really mind it, I mean, all the pack’s attention on us would have been a lot anyway. Maybe this will divide some of that up.” Sehun shrugged, debating whether or not to curl up next to Baekhyun. Those furs looked unusually fluffy.

“That’s true…” Baekhyun’s voice trailed as he went deep into thought. This apparent stress made Sehun choose to snuggle up next to Baekhyun. Baekhyun’s serious thinking expression quickly changed into a smile once Sehun was under his arm lying next to him.

“You know, you might meet a mate too.” Baekhyun offered cautiously, aware of Sehun’s sensitivity to the mating topic. Now it was Sehun’s turn to sigh.

“I hope not. That would for the poor person who ends up with me.” Sehun closed his eyes, tired out from the excitement of the bonfire announcements and the envoys returning.

“You have to stop talking about yourself that way. You’re wonderful, and whoever the person is who ends with you is super lucky already.” Baekhyun hit Sehun on the head in a light, loving chastising manner.

“I have to tell you a secret soon, Baek.” Sehun whispered, almost hoping he would not be heard. If Baekhyun were going to be his guardian, he would need to know about Sehun’s ailment.

Baekhyun sat up sharply, bringing the sleepy Sehun with him. He held Sehun up by the shoulders and made him look directly into his eyes.

“No, you tell me now, Sehun. What secret is possibly making you this miserable? I have been wanting to know for awhile and you’ve opened up, so we talk now.” Baekhyun was much more commanding than usual, which scared Sehun a little. Baekhyun had always felt a weird turmoil in his stomach when Sehun said things about not finding a mate. It made Baekhyun feel guilty for letting Sehun believe these things, and he had finally snapped. To Sehun, it felt like a parent scolding him for keeping secrets. Sehun looked down at the furs scattered about on the ground.

“Well, it’s the reason I’m all the way on the outside of camp, and why I was gone for so long,” Sehun took a long pause hoping for some random outside force to make him stop his speech, “I-Well, you see- I… I’m sick Baekhyun. Not fatally so, you don’t have to worry about me dying on you, but I’m not normal. I’m stuck in this lazy and powerless body forever and there’s nothing I can do.” Sehun could not look Baekhyun in the eyes, and continued to look at the floor. Baekhyun put his left hand under Sehun’s chin to pull his eyes up, but Sehun closed his eyes.

“How do you know you’re sick?” Baekhyun’s voice was both tender and stern.

“When I left, I went into the human world to see why I was so different than even other werewolves and they told me I most likely had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and so I ran back here before they could do more testing. I thought Alpha would kill me once I told him but he is too soft, he would not kill me. Even though I am a drag on our pack, a waste of the pack’s food, space, and attention, he would not kill me.” Sehun was in tears at this point, eyes still closed. Baekhyun took the hand on Sehun’s chin and used it to pull Sehun tightly to his chest.

“So I’m tired all the time, I can’t get rid of it. I don’t feel like living, and Alpha wouldn’t even let me die. I’m stuck in limbo and I can’t bring a mate into that, I don’t even want you in that.” Sehun spoke through sobs, some of his words almost incomprehensible to Baekhyun. Sehun started to mumble complete nonsense into Baekhyun’s chest, so Baekhyun patted his head comfortingly.

“Shh. Shhh. It’s okay Sehun. Hey, calm down, you’re okay. I’m glad you told me this. Now stop talking, no more crying. You may be tired but you are not a waste of anything, and you are not helpless.” Baekhyun pulled Sehun out from under his chin and looked at Sehun. Sehun finally opened his eyes and saw Baekhyun’s teary ones making direct eye contact.

“I’m sorry Baekhyun, I’m sorry I’m not a good pup, I’m sorry.” Sehun whispered. He felt as though speaking at a regular volume would break him.

“Stop saying you’re sorry. You have not done anything. You are an amazing pup, and you will stop crying. You have pitied yourself for too long. It’s time for you to move on, Sehunnie. I will stay in here with you tonight, okay? From now on I will be firmer with you in getting you thinking straight. For now, let’s sleep. You must be exhausted.” Baekhyun’s eyes were teary, but his voice was not shaky like Sehun expected. His voice was comforting. Sehun was expecting more comfort from his parental figure after revealing his secret, but perhaps this would bring about a change. Sehun shook his head, to stop overthinking. Baekhyun lied back down on the furs, inviting Sehun next to him with a pat. Sehun smiled weakly before almost collapsing next to him. It took only seconds for both of them to be deeply asleep.