BONUS: The Pack Alpha and his Beta

Love Me Tender (or Simply Love Me At All)

            One of Yixing’s strong hands was massaging his shoulder, and nothing yet had ever matched the relaxation and healing that came from his touch. He was just melting into the comforting yet sensual touch. He wondered if Yixing knew what he did to him, if this was all some kind of cruel way to tease and mess with his feelings. It was hard to be the Alpha of a pack. He had lots of expectations placed on him, lots of responsibilities, worries, secrets, duties, and not to mention the overwhelming stress. He just wanted to be a good pack Alpha for everyone but it was hard. When he was kind, people thought of him as soft. When he was understanding, people thought of him as lenient. He could not seem to win no matter what he did, and this created knots in his shoulders that he would go to Yixing to work out.

            “Junmyeon you really should relax more. These knots are just getting worse and worse and you’re coming to me less and less.” Yixing complained to him. No one called him Junmyeon except for Yixing. Those who were allowed to call him by name called him by his wolf’s name, Suho, and everyone else showed their respect by simply calling him the Alpha. Yixing and Junmyeon had known each other for a long time, before Junmyeon had the worries of being a pack Alpha, and before Yixing had become a pack doctor.

            “I can’t relax now. We’ve got so much to do. I’ve still got to properly integrate the new members of our pack. I’ve also heard that Kyungsoo and Jongin are having more pups… again. How many litters is that now? I mean really, I love pups but I feel like half of our pack are just tiny Kyungsoos and Jongins now. “ The Alpha sighed, letting Yixing’s magic hands work out some of the worries he held in his neck.

            “They just really love each other, and really love their pups. Speaking of which, have you visited any of the Omegas recently. Many of them are hoping you’ll stop by soon to look for a potential mate.” Yixing moved down to his left arm and felt the strength of his muscles and the softness yet toughness of his skin. He supposed Luhan would be more qualified to give out massages like this but he was selfish and wanted to keep Junmyeon’s body to himself.

            “I know I really should visit…” His voice trailed off and he left the thought unfinished.

            “You just don’t seem very keen on finding a mate. People are worried about you. They want pack pups to take care of, and also many are simply curious who you’ll choose as a mate.” Yixing knew that Junmyeon wanted him as a mate, but that he also felt a need to follow his duties. Pack Alphas were supposed to mate pretty Omegas, not Beta doctors, that’s not what was supposed to happen. Yixing knew that. Junmyeon knew that. It made relations between them interesting. They confided in each other and were comfortable like mates but weren’t allowed to be friendly in public, and could never tell anyone their feelings other than each other.

            “I am keen on having a mate. I just am not keen on the consequences that might ensue from my desired choice. A pack Alpha has more responsibilities than I could have imagined as a kid, Yixing.” Junmyeon looked over sadly to Yixing who made brief eye contact before looking away. Suddenly a memory came into Yixing’s mind.

 

            “Hey wait for me!” A young, 10 year old Yixing yelled to his slightly bigger but same aged friend, Junmyeon. Junmyeon was several yards ahead but at the sound of Yixing’s voice he stopped and turned around.

            “You’re such a slow poke! I bet it’s because I’m an Alpha, I’m stronger and faster!” He started laughing as he ran in circles and growled to prove his childish strength.

            “I don’t care if you’re an Alpha, you should still wait for everyone to catch up. The majority of people aren’t like you! As the top of the chain you should make sure you look out for the bottom people since they don’t have the voice that you do.” Yixing said calmly, sauntering up to his friend.

            “Okay, Okay. I get it.” The young Alpha said in monotone, and then whispered, “You always make everything so serious.”

            “What was that?”

            “Haha! Nothing~!”

            After walking a ways to get to their favorite spot by the lake, Junmyeon play tackled Yixing, who responded wholeheartedly. They tussled like pups do, each play biting and play swiping at each other. They were laughing and giving pathetic growls in a false attempt to intimidate each other. Their voices hadn’t changed yet so the growls were high pitched and harmless.

There was a brief moment of pause in the fighting though and Yixing saw Junmyeon look down at him with the sun shining behind him in the most loving way. It made Yixing nervous because he knew Junmyeon and he weren’t supposed to like each other in that way. He responded by swiftly flipping them around and pinning Junmyeon down for a decisive win in his favor.

            “Hey what was that for?” Junmyeon whined from under Yixing, but not struggling very hard.

            “As a pack Alpha you can’t be distracted when fighting. I’m only a Beta and I beat you, oh strong and quick Alpha.” Yixing said with an amount of venom that surprised him. He felt a little angry suddenly as he remembered that Junmyeon was destined to be a pack Alpha, and he knew that pack Alphas didn’t mate with Betas. He knew it was silly to be angry because Junmyeon likely wanted a pretty Omega and all Yixing wanted was for Junmyeon to be happy. If happy Junmyeon was a Junmyeon with a pretty Omega next to him, he would learn to live with that. It was okay if Junmyeon was happy without him. It still made him feel bitter though.

            “It’s okay to lose to you though. I wouldn’t lose to anyone else, promise. I am tough after all, I just don’t have to be tough with you.” Junmyeon said smiling stupidly up at him. Yixing was sure that Junmyeon had no idea about what he was saying, and that he had no idea that they were destined to fail in this relationship.

            “You can’t lose to me. I just told you that. I’m a Beta. You can’t lose to Betas or Alphas and you can only lose against your mate because you love them.”

            “Well why don't you be my mate. I do like playing with you an awful lot.” Junmyeon said, then shifted to his wolf self and playfully around Yixing’s face before tackling him again to resume their playing. Yixing felt both ecstatic and terrified at Junmyeon’s sudden, likely unknowing, confession.

 

            “You never were the brightest kid.” Yixing teased. Junmyeon laughed as he remembered his younger days and stupidity.

            “You were always so wise. You still are. I some days think you’d make a better leader than me.” Junmyeon admitted. He knew he should never admit weakness, but it felt okay here. He could only talk to Yixing like this; it was always only Yixing who made him feel so calm and open.

            “No, I’m simply wise because I had to be.” Yixing said softly. Yixing knew they were slowly approaching the very controversial topic of them potentially mating. It was always an underlying tension in their conversations, but Yixing could tell that something different was going to happen today. Yixing was going to do his best not to be the first to mention it. He wanted Junmyeon to make his own decision about his mate.

            “How’s Sehun doing? I heard you took him to the Omega’s Den for his heat. He really has some mental blocks around getting a mate. I’ve done my best with him but he’s got a lot of complexity I cannot unweave.” Junmyeon sighed. He really did care about each and every member of his pack, and he wanted all of them to be happy. With drama like these new members, and Sehun’s illness, it made it hard for him to keep everyone happy.

            “From what I’ve heard from the Omegas taking care of him, he’s doing okay. He’s been mostly in the distressful kind of heat, which is natural when your body knows it has a mate but can’t get to it. It is the most uncomfortable kind though, and also is probably affecting Chanyeol. I’ve had Luhan stay with Chanyeol to make sure he doesn’t run to the Omega’s Den, or try and go off howling or anything.” Yixing laughed. Alphas often howled in loneliness when they could not see their Omega for an extended period. It was an instinctual response to the body’s inability to mate. It also was a kind of call and response. The lonely Alpha would howl and any that could hear would howl in response to try and comfort the poor Alpha.

            “He may howl yet. I understand the poor fellow.” Junmyeon cast a sad gaze up towards the ceiling as if looking for the moon, wondering how people would view him if he were to give off one of those lonely howls. He shook his head as he knew people would probably see him as weaker than before.

            “You understand him?” Yixing pushed. His heart was beating faster as he pushed further for Junmyeon to open up his worries about mating.

            “I do.” Junmyeon paused, “Yixing. You must know by now about my conflicted feelings for you. You know that even though we avoid it we are destined. The true question is whether we continue to avoid or we choose to pursue.” Junmyeon looked to the ground. For a pack Alpha, it was unbecoming to be so nervous and unsure, but it was Yixing. It was always Yixing, and Junmyeon loved it as much as it stressed him.

            “I want you to choose what makes you the most comfortable and the happiest. Choosing an Omega would ensure children, that’s why the tradition is the way it is. A Beta like myself is often less fertile, and more controversial as a choice.” It was Yixing’s turn to pause, “I must say though that if you don’t intend to pursue, that I would likely stay unmated. I just don’t think I could choose anyone who wasn’t you.”

            A heavy silence fell upon both of them as Junmyeon processed Yixing’s words. Yixing was right that it was risky and controversial to choose a Beta mate, but everything in Junmyeon screamed to claim Yixing, to hold him, to laugh with him. He was tired of fighting it. With the sweet vanilla scent of Yixing in his nose, Junmyeon took a stand in a moment of bravery.

            “I believe, my dear Yixing, that you are the mate that would make me happiest. No matter the controversy or the consequences I think I would wish for you everyday I didn’t have you. I think I’ve been foolish before… and… Would you have me?”

            There were tears in both their eyes, and Yixing wrapped Junmyeon in the biggest hug Junmyeon had ever received.

            “Of course I would.”

            “There’s still much to discuss about timing and ceremony, but it’s time I face the fact that I can’t choose anyone but you.” Junmyeon smiled and held Yixing close to his bare chest. They stayed that way for a long time, embracing and reveling in the new era of their relationship. Even when they parted they knew it was only a matter of the moon going across the sky enough times for them to truly be together.

 


Author's Notes: I've been dying to write this chapter because in my head this is going on all the time during all the Chanhun stuff. I hope ya'll enjoyed it as much as I did ^^ I'll be back to your regular story line soon~ We're approaching the end of our little adventure!! Oh no.... >.<