Bad Day

Never Get Enough Of You

for Freya, the only one of my friends woman enough to read through all my gay fanfic for me... i don't know where i'd be without your grammar nazi skills and fantastic grasp of the english language. i know you've been having several bad days recently so i hope this makes you smile (and sorry for bringing up your finest moment: the caterpillar incident. please dont hate me <3) 

this is also for everyone who has read/subbed/commented on/ upvoted this or the millionaire matchmaker. i sound like a cheeseball but i honestly can't thank you enough and if i could write something for every one of you individually i would. because you're all perf. im sorry if this is a bit poo, i apparently forgot how to english good at some stage in the  middle of the night, so prepare yourselves for this. its better in my head, i promise. ;) 

Kyungsoo is having a bad day.

No scratch that, he’s having an awful day.

He knew things weren’t going to go to plan from the very moment he woke up this morning. For starters he didn’t get his morning kiss or his morning cuddle, and they are usually the only two things that stop him behaving like a bear with a sore head at half past six. Jongin had an international conference call so he had had to get up and leave at around four, and he was long gone by the time Kyungsoo woke up. Jongin did leave a note with a sappy ‘love youuu xx’ on the back of the door for Kyungsoo which did improve his mood slightly but he still didn’t feel complete.

It decided to rain during Kyungsoo’s walk to work. This wouldn’t have been a problem had it been a normal day but no, today was a bad day. Kyungsoo had left his umbrella and his coat at home so by the time he arrived at the office he was soaked to the core and shivering.

His colleagues had sourced some dry clothes for him and Taeyeon had brought him his delicious (as usual)  coffee, but it was one of those days so the coffee had to spill as soon as Kyungsoo was shut safely inside his office and it had to spill all over the important papers on his desk.

The papers could have been replaced easily if it were a normal day but today Kyungsoo isn’t sure if there’s enough paper left in the printers and the printing budget is low anyway.

In the morning Kyungsoo has to deal with one of his pushiest and most snobbish clients yet without having had a coffee and without the necessary papers to placate the client that they were making some progress with finding his match.

Kyungsoo realises that he’s left his phone at home so he can’t text Jongin to tell him what a horrible day he’s having and he can’t ring him just to hear the sound of his voice. He’s considered just using his office phone because it’s not like he hasn’t got Jongin’s number memorised off by heart already, but then the fire alarm goes off and the whole building has to be evacuated.

It’s still raining. Kyungsoo still has no coat. He manages to stay somewhat dry thanks to shelter from intern Kim Taehyung’s umbrella, but he is sharing it with 3 other people including the disproportionately large Chanyeol so he still gets chilled.

Kyungsoo then realised that not only has he left his phone at home but also his lunch, and his wallet is forgotten as well. He scrapes by by sharing his youngest intern Jeon Jungkook’s salad when the younger comes up to ask him for advice on how to ask a pretty girl named Freya from the translation department to go on a date with him.

The afternoon looks like it could brighten the day up when Kyungsoo hears that Fei from the bakery across the road has broad some of her delicious Chinese delicacies across, but when Kyungsoo leaves his office to get some he finds several boxes that are empty, and it seems every employee has had some except him.

The final blow comes when Kyungsoo has to deal with a celebrity client who seems to shun every suggestion Kyungsoo makes.

Kyungsoo questions why they even agreed to help the man in the first place, seeing as he pays little attention to any of the matches Kyungsoo offers yet spends his time in Kyungsoo’s office yelling about everything he requires in a match.

“What about that girl that brings you the drinks, whashername, Tiyeon is it?”

“Taeyeon...” Kyungsoo mutters under his breath.

“Yeah whatever her name is she’s pretty fit... Why can’t you set me up with her, eh?”

Kyungsoo decides the man is absolutely repulsive. He’s already heard that he’s been making some not so innocent advances on some of the other office girls, but now he’s just crossing the line. “Because I don’t think Tiffany her wife would be too happy about that.”

“Well if you’re not going to find me something half decent with a nice pair on her chest then I’m not interested.”

Something in Kyungsoo snaps. “I’m very sorry sir but I don’t think my company will be able to assist you any further and I would very much like it if you left my office now.”

“Why?”

“I dislike your treatment of women and the harassment you’ve given my staff is absolutely beyond acceptable. The female members in particular feel very threatened by your behaviour and I take their comfort and safety at work very seriously. So if you’d be so kind I would like you to leave now.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t particularly want to think about the stream of mainly homophobic (but also some racist) slurs that poured from the man’s mouth when he realised he was being ejected from the building.

It’s not like Kyungsoo hasn’t heard every single one of them before, but they remind him of his earlier teenage years where being gay was not an accepted thing and the words really really sting. He’s been lucky to have not experienced much abuse in years, and Kyungsoo supposes this is why he feels so strongly about the sudden onslaught. Kyungsoo keeps himself together as the client is lead away by security but there is dullness in his chest. It angers him that someone thinks it’s ok to just walk into somewhere with their prejudices and pretty much insult anyone who isn’t a straight Korean male.

On top of all of this, Kyungsoo just really, really wants to see Jongin. Usually he manages only seeing him at breakfast and then in the evenings, but on tough days Kyungsoo finds himself missing him terribly and needing a big hug and a shower of kisses to keep him going.

The rest of the afternoon was filled with stressful calls with important clients, documents going missing and Kyungsoo generally being worked off his feet (the amount of sets of paperwork he had to complete were no joke). He was still in the office way later than he should have been and Junmyeon eventually had to kick him out and make him go home.

On the journey home Kyungsoo gets splashed by five taxis, three cars and a bus, and the wind is whipping up a storm outside which Kyungsoo is stuck in with no coat.

By the time he staggers up to his and Jongin’s home, he is absolutely exhausted.  He feels like he could cry because he is just so overwhelmed with everything, but he stops himself just before he reaches the door, because he hates crying and he always looks really ugly when he cries.

Kyungsoo pushes their apartment door open and finds that Jongin is home already. He pads around the apartment in nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants, his hair ruffled and a pair of thick stripy socks on his feet.

Kyungsoo can’t explain it, but he is just so utterly relieved and happy to see Jongin that the floodgates open and he begins to leak hot exhausted tears.

“Soo?” Jongin says. He puts down the bowl of cereal he is holding (why is he eating cereal at six in the evening?) and looks concerned at a weeping Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo stands where he is and holds his arms out dejectedly, pout wobbling on his lips.

Jongin gets the message and hurries forward to scoop him up into a tight hold, muttering reassurances as he goes. “Hey, hey ssh ssh... you’re alright, I’m here.”

Kyungsoo sobs and shakes for what feels like hours in a mixture of tiredness, stress and bad memories from the past coming back for him.

Jongin dutifully stands and lets Kyungsoo cry it out, gently his hair and wiping his face of tears when necessary.

Kyungsoo tries to explain but every time he goes to he ends up sobbing again and fresh tears fall. He must seem like such an idiot but he can’t seem to stop. Jongin doesn’t push him for answers and Kyungsoo is overcome with how wonderful and understanding his boyfriend—no fiancé is.

The tears eventually dry up, with Kyungsoo rubbing his face into Jongin’s neck tiredly and his breath still hitching every now and then.

Jongin smiles and gently takes Kyungsoo’s hand and kisses the back of it tenderly. “Would a hot bath make it better?” He asks and Kyungsoo nods dumbly, his throat too scratchy and dry to form words.

Jongin leads him into their bathroom and begins running water into the bathtub. Once he’s sure the water is nice and hot he adds the delicious scented vanilla bubble bath and turns on the whirlpool setting, letting the bath do the hard work of mixing it in.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo whispers hoarsely, and Jongin shakes his head.

“Get yourself in there and all warmed up, ok? You’re absolutely soaking still; I don’t want you getting sick. I’ll go and fetch you a hot drink.” Jongin leans down and presses a warm kiss onto Kyungsoo’s temple before disappearing and allowing him time to settle into the water.

Sometimes Jongin is an absolute angel and Kyungsoo realises how lucky he is.

***

Kyungsoo sighs indulgently as he takes a sip of the drink Jongin brought him. Jongin never tells him how he makes it, because it’s a secret recipe that he and his mother created when he was younger, although Kyungsoo can taste hot milk, honey and maybe a little bit of chocolate too.

Whatever the drink is, it is truly delicious and it caresses Kyungsoo’s sore throat and warms his chest thoroughly. The heat from the bath is already loosening his muscles and the tenseness is ebbing away quickly, especially when Jongin comes in to wash his hair for him.

The younger boy sits and massages his finger tips into Kyungsoo’s scalp, occasionally scraping his nails lightly along the surface. Kyungsoo smiles when Jongin starts singing for him. He recognises the song, it’s by Jongin’s newest favourite artist G-Soul, and even though his voice doesn’t have perfect pitch or control it’s heaven to listen to, with all its cracks and breaks and soft melody. Kyungsoo wishes Jongin would sing more. His voice is beautiful and gentle, and with practice he could get the power and control to make him excellent. Jongin has definitely improved from the first time Kyungsoo heard him sing, and he wonders if that is maybe because Jongin gained more confidence in his voice. He’s glad for it if he has, because Kyungsoo never gets tired of hearing him sing.

When Jongin gets to the end of his tune, Kyungsoo decides it’s probably best to get out of the bath before he turns into a prune.

Jongin shields Kyungsoo’s eyes for him as he rinses the shampoo out of his hair and collects him a fresh pair of boxers and one of Jongin’s shirts for him to change into.

Jongin heads to their bedroom and pulls the duvets and pillows off the bed and dumps them on the sofa. He flicks through the channels and finds some mindless romcom on the television and smiles when Kyungsoo plods his way from the bathroom rubbing his hair with a white towel.

Jongin opens his arms as wide as he can and yells “Come here my sweet!” in the cheesiest voice he can muster.

Kyungsoo giggles and crawls into Jongin’s arms, sighing in relief. It really is good to be home. They shuffle around a little to find the most comfortable position and end with Kyungsoo lying on Jongin’s chest with his arms tucked under the younger and his head propped under Jongin’s chin.

Kyungsoo is warm from his shower and still a little damp but Jongin has no qualms about a good snuggle session so nestles down under the covers, figuring Kyungsoo will talk about his bad day if he feels like it. It hasn’t gone unnoticed to Jongin that the smaller has quieter than usual since he came home and that usually means he’s mulling something over in his head.

When they’re about halfway through the movie, Kyungsoo finally begins to talk. “Kicked someone out today.” He says numbly, head nuzzling further into the crook of Jongin’s neck.

Jongin hums in response, not pushing Kyungsoo with questions because that will make him clam up. He twiddles with a strand of Kyungsoo’s black hair, combing his fingers through the strands gently to reassure the older that he was still there and listening.

“Yeah. He was being really inappropriate towards all the girls, especially poor Tae... and then he started off on all the homophobe rants as usual and he pretty much screamed them to the whole office. I dunno, I just... I’ve heard it all before but I... it bothered me more than it should have done. I don’t usually get clients like that and it’s just... I—it got me down I guess.”

“Well you did the right thing. You kicked his sorry out into the rain and hopefully a bolt of lightning’ll get him or something.”

“Kim Jongin!” Kyungsoo gasps, although there is a slight smile on his face. He smacks his hand lightly on Jongin’s chest. “You shouldn’t wish death on a person, that’s horrible!”

Jongin gives a cheeky grin and pokes his tongue out.

“It wasn’t just him though.” Kyungsoo expands. “I forgot my umbrella, my phone, my wallet and my lunch today. Got drenched on the way into work, couldn’t call you at all because the fire alarms went off, and I had to beg off Jungkook’s lunch when he came to me for advice. Wonder how that went actually...”

“What happened?”

“Oh, Jungkook wanted to ask Freya from translations on a date.”

“Freya? Wasn’t she the one who—“

“Rolled down the stairs in a sleeping bag yelling ‘I’m a caterpillar’, yes that’s her. I think if Jungkook’s brave enough they’d be a sweet match.”

“So it hasn’t been all bad then?”

“Well, Fei brought bakery food and everyone ate it, I spilled my morning coffee and I’m absolutely exhausted from completing twelve rounds of paperwork, but other than that I guess it’s been average. Oh and then I nearly got drowned and blown over by the lovely weather on the way back.”

Jongin laughs and hugs Kyungsoo closer to him. “But it’s all better now because you get to touch me, the hottest CEO in Korea!”

Kyungsoo says nothing but pulls an icky face and Jongin gives a mock offended look before the pair of them erupt into giggles.

The giggle fit brightens Kyungsoo although he mutters, “I’m sorry I cried though. I hate crying.”

“Why are you sorry for that? Soo, it sounds like you probably needed a good cry to let it all out.”

“Yeah but my cry face is ugly.”

“Your cry face is y as hell and you know it!” Jongin teases, leaning down to kiss Kyungsoo quickly on the lips. Kyungsoo blushes furiously and lets out a little disgruntled kitten noise before plopping his head back down on Jongin’s chest so he doesn’t have to look at Jongin’s self satisfied smirk.

The rain outside seems to get heavier and heavier as the night progresses, but it doesn’t matter seeing as neither Kyungsoo nor Jongin can be bothered to move.

Kyungsoo’s mood only seems to improve as he spends more time with Jongin, both of them sharing stories about their day and pressing sweet kisses to each other’s lips. It gets later and later and eventually the pair decides they’re pretty comfy just sleeping on the sofa.

Jongin knows his back and his neck are going to be in agony tomorrow but he really doesn’t care seeing as he gets to hold Kyungsoo so close to him.

“Kim Jongin, get your hands off my .” Kyungsoo hisses in the darkness.

“Dammit.” Well, it had been worth a try.