Maybe. (Part II)

Is it Worth It?

“Yoona, I need to ask you something.”

“What is it? Ask away.”

“The doctor said you weren’t getting enough sleep,” Yoona was about to open and give some lie about needing to finish assignments, but Minho continued. “He also said you lost quite some blood, and it’s definitely not from nature’s calling.”

“I…” Yoona was lost for words, not knowing how to respond. “What’s your question?”

“My question is, have you been cutting yourself?” Minho inquired, still holding the stern but concerned face. “Please don’t lie to me.”

“I…” Yoona suddenly felt the blanket covering her was more interesting than her boyfriend’s face. “Yes.”

“As a friend, I’m concerned and want you to tell me everything,” Minho gently lifted her face up by the chin, gazing into her dark brown eyes. “But as a boyfriend, though it pains me to wait and see you continue with it, I will until you are ready to tell me everything.”

Immediately, the tears that pooled at her eyes overflowed and eventually burst out as she buried her face into her palms, clearly heartbroken about her boyfriend finding out about it. Minho quickly enveloped her into his arms and let her cry, not caring whether or not it was wetting his T-shirt.

That night, Minho slept with her on the bed, still holding onto her. Yoona gently his cheek as her mind began to wonder back to what Minho said to her, about opening up to him. She wondered if she should, after seeing how concerned he was.

‘No! It’d break his heart to know.’

Her eyes quickly averted to the bags under his eyes.

‘He must’ve been up waiting for me.’

She slowly brushed her fingers across it, heart aching from seeing them. Come to think of it, not only Minho, but her parents too had bags under their eyes. Just because she fainted, all 3 of her beloved couldn’t sleep. She brought them so much trouble and it was killing her with guilt. On top of that, Minho had lied to her parents for her sake.

Flashback.

“Minho!” Mr & Mrs Im quickly rushed to the boy’s side, who was sitting next to Yoona’s bed, holding onto her hand. “What happened?

“She fainted,” Minho stared at the double doors. “She was unconscious when I found her.”

“What?” Yoona’s mother looked at Minho, eyes filled with distress. “Please explain in details.”

“I decided to accompany Yoona for the night since she told me that the both of you will be attending a wedding dinner. Upon arrival, no one was downstairs so I went upstairs to look for Yoona. She was showering at that time, so I waited in her room,” Minho paused to inhale some air. “Then I heard a big ‘THUD’ in the shower. I knocked on the door but there was no response. I panicked so I broke the door. I’m terribly sorry about that.”

“It’s ok, go on.”

“When I went in, she was unconscious inside the tub with the faucet still . I quickly wrapped her in her bath robe and rushed her here,” Minho suddenly kneeled before Yoona’s parents. “I’m so sorry. I saw your daughter’s body.”

“Minho! It’s ok!” They quickly pulled him off the ground. “It was unintentional and obligated so we’re not mad at you.”

“Thank you,” Minho bowed.

“What did the doctor say?” Yoona’s father while her mother replaced Minho beside her.

“He said she’s been lacking sleep, and that the loss of blood also contributed to her condition.”

“Loss of blood??” They both questioned.

“Yes, from her time of the month.”

“Oh! Good God I thought she was cutting herself or something,” Minho bit his lip when they both sighed in relief.

End of Flashback.

‘Pabo, you didn’t have to lie to them. You’ll lose their trust.’

She continued to caress his cheek carefully, not wanting to wake him up.

‘He lied for me. He lied just to keep my secret, even though he’s not aware of it.’

She began to question, once again, if all of it was worth it. Was it worth it to have him sacrifice things for the sake of keeping her secret? Was it worth it to bring worry and concern to her already stressed out parents? Was it worth it to bring emotional distraught to her loved one just so she can selfishly hold onto him? Her ignorance had brought pain to her beloved. The irony? She was trying to keep him from it.

Is it still worth it, Im Yoona?

‘I don’t know. Maybe?’

**********

How is it? Please comment! c: