Fourteen

Two Worlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan doesn’t fail to notice the bounce in Seulgi’s steps the next week while they’re at school. It’s a cool, rainy Tuesday morning and yet Seulgi, who is drenched to the bone, couldn’t possibly look any happier. Her friend smiles at the fact that the once sad girl seems to have disappeared and been replaced with her best friend once more.

 

“You seem like you’re having a good time,” Seungwan comments, running a hand through her wet hair as they finally slow their run to a walk, having given up on trying to avoid the rain at this point.

 

Seulgi shakes her head and flips her hair back, using both hands to try and push the wet strands out of her face. It doesn’t work because they still stick to her cheeks and her forehead but she doesn’t pay much mind to it. She simply giggles like a child and shrugs, “I guess life is just getting better, isn’t it? The weather is nice too!” Seulgi spreads her arms and does a twirl, nearly slipping and causing Seungwan to burst into a fit of laughter.

 

“We have midterms. And you look like a wet dog, Seul,” Seungwan jokes, earning a loud laugh from Seulgi who runs her hand through her hair again.

 

“I guess we do…” She grins and stares off into the distance, bringing the conversation to an end. They fall into a comfortable silence, only disrupted by the sound of the rain hitting against the pavement. The sound is calming to the two who have been running around to keep up with extracurriculars and studying for exams, giving them no chance to sit and be in their thoughts for a moment. But that’s exactly what the sound of the rain allows them to do as they walk ahead, closing their eyes for longer than usual with every blink and taking in the surroundings as much as they can. Several minutes pass by and the rain is slowing down but hasn’t come to a full stop yet.

 

They get through the rain and reach the student centre, stepping inside. The air is definitely warmer but Seulgi still feels a chill and she wraps her arms around herself in search for some kind of warmth. She takes a seat at an empty table while Seungwan heads off to the bathroom to dry off. “Aren’t you going to come too?” She asks, but Seulgi waves her hand away and so she heads over alone.

 

Seulgi reaches into her backpack for her phone and notices a missed call, a smile finding its way onto her face. She presses the call button and puts her phone to her wet ear, ignoring the discomfort from the wet, cold clothes hanging off of her body.

 

“Hello?” A soft voice calls through the phone.

 

Seulgi grins and ducks her head, staring at her feet shyly despite being alone. “Hey…I just noticed your call, sorry, I was getting to school.”

 

The woman on the other side of the line giggles softly, “That’s okay, I just wanted to remind you to take an umbrella, you did right? The rain doesn’t look like it’s going to stop anytime soon…”

 

Seulgi hums and shrugs her shoulders, “I refuse to answer that question because I may or may not look like I just jumped into a pool fully clothed.”

 

“Seulgi!” Joohyun yells through the phone so loudly that the girl pulls it away from her ear for a second, chuckling nervously.

 

“Shh, it’s okay, I’ll be fine. I’m sure I can just buy some sweatpants and a hoodie from the bookstore downstairs,” Seulgi assures, pulling a pen from her pocket and twirling it in her free hand absentmindedly.

 

“An umbrella too, please, I’ll even transfer you some money if you don’t have enough for all of it-” Joohyun’s voice is in a rush and Seulgi cuts her off quickly.

 

“Don’t worry, I have enough. You don’t have to try to be a…what do they call them? Sugar parent?” Seulgi questions.

 

Of course, Seungwan happens to return right at this moment and raises her eyebrow as she takes her seat across from Seulgi, tossing her backpack onto the empty chair next to her. Seulgi blushes and stares intensely at the table as she refuses to make any sort of eye contact with Seungwan.

 

“Do you mean sugar daddy? …or mommy I guess depending on the- Ok wait! I’m not your sugar mommy! Or sugar anything, whatever, anyways I have to go, but I’ll call you later?”

 

Seulgi’s heart drops as she realizes that she has to hang up and she clears , sitting up straight and nodding even though Joohyun can’t see her. “Not if I call you first,” Seungwan coughs a bit at this, making a mental note to ask Seulgi about the phone call and Seulgi’s ears turn red as she remembers the girl is there

 

“Sounds like a deal, have a good day Seulgi,” Joohyun whispers before ending the call and Seulgi has to hold back from squeaking at the sound of her name being said so delicately by the older woman.

 

She clears again and stuffs her phone into her backpack, slowly bringing her eyes up to look at Seungwan who’s smirking.

 

“So, it looks like you have a special someone…which you didn’t care to tell me about but I’ll forgive you if you fill me in right now.” Seungwan teases, shooting a wink in Seulgi’s direction as the girl begins to blush a darker shade of red.

 

Seulgi scratches at the back of her neck and looks more nervous than Seungwan has ever seen her. “It’s a long story really, but we just recently got together after a bit of, uh, problems.” She explains, Seungwan hanging onto every word as it leaves Seulgi’s mouth.

 

She smiles and puts a hand over Seulgi’s, “Well, either way I’m glad you were the first broke university student I know to land a sugar mommy,”

 

Seulgi punches her arm and Seungwan tilts her head back and laughs loudly, causing several heads to turn in their direction.

 

“Keep it down you idiot, there’s people…I don’t need any stupid rumours like that,” Seulgi whispers harshly, shooting glares at her best friend.

 

“Yeah yeah whatever, but really, I’m glad you seem to have found someone to bring you happiness…even if it couldn’t be me…” Seungwan jokingly wipes a fake tear from her eyes as she acts out some sort of extra dramatic scene in front of Seulgi, who’s rolling her eyes and waiting for her friend to stop.

 

Right in that moment, a hand lands on Seungwan’s shoulder causing her to jump in surprise before looking up to the figure standing behind her.

 

“Seungwan! I’m glad I ran into you, you left the choir club so quickly the other day I didn’t have time to talk to you…” The girl smiles and Seulgi swears she can see stars in Seungwan’s eyes as her best friends stares up, agape while the upperclassman looks back down at her.

 

Seungwan gulps and stutters over her words, “Y-yeah, sorry about that, it slipped my mind and I had an emergency so…”

 

The girl waves her hand, “No worries! Just stay behind today, okay? It’s really really important.”

 

Seungwan nods dumbly and Seulgi hides a laugh behind her hand, ducking her head as she lets out a fake cough to cover up her smile. Both girls turn their heads to her and while Seungwan is glaring, the latter is holding out her hand and smiling.

 

“Hi! I’m Jung Eunji, one year above you guys, I know Seungwan from the choir club!” She explains, waiting for Seulgi to take her hand. The two shake hands quickly and Seulgi introduces herself and makes some small talk with the older girl.

 

Eunji’s phone rings and she glances down at her watch, frowning a bit. “I should get going…see you later today?” She smiles at Seungwan who nods her head so fast that Seulgi thinks her neck might snap and she has to duck her head to conceal a smile again.

 

The older girl walks away from them and Seungwan turns to Seulgi with the threat of murder in her eyes. “Not a word.”

 

“Ha,” Seulgi snaps her fingers and grins, “Looks like I’m not the only one getting a bit of love?”

 

“It’s not like that.” Seungwan stresses, shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

 

Seulgi giggles and leans on the table, cupping her head in her hands. “Oh really? So what’s this super important thing she has to tell you today after choir?”

 

Seungwan shrugs and turns her head away, her cheeks and ears dusted pink as Seulgi lets out another holler. “You’re in looooove!” She says, standing up from her seat, grabbing her backpack and skipping away.

 

“See you in class, dummy!” Seulgi waves and is out of sight before Seungwan can even get in a word.

 

***

 

Joohyun sighs and slams her apartment door shut, slipping off her shoes as she makes her way into the kitchen. She sheds off most of her clothing until she’s in just a black sports bra and her pants. She stalks off into her bedroom in search for her favourite pair of sweatpants. Her hands reach for the grey pair that she puts on quickly, grabbing for a white t-shirt laying atop her bed. Before Joohyun can manage to get the shirt on, her phone rings and there’s a simultaneous knock at the door. Answering her phone first, Joohyun walks towards the door.

 

“Seulgi?”

 

The line is silent and she swings the door open to reveal her girlfriend standing on the other side. “Hey,” Seulgi whispers, taking a step into the apartment and closing the door while Joohyun squeals and tosses her phone aside, covering her bare stomach with the shirt in her hand.

 

Laughing, Seulgi reaches for Joohyun’s arm to hold her still and pulls her in, kissing the top of her head. “I missed you,” Seulgi sighs.

 

“M-my shirt…” Joohyun mumbles.

 

“You were going to answer the door like that anyway, better that it’s me who answered, right?” Seulgi winks as she pul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter