Love in Unexpected Places (For anitaklr24)

Give Me A Prompt and I'll Write You a Story!

 

Kim Myungsoo/ L (Infinite) x OC (Anita)


 

Myungsoo had enough of it.

Of everything and everyone.

But he could only do so much to vent out his stress.

Not when he worked part-time at a high-end restaurant in the more expensive neighborhoods in the city.

Even though it a smaller restaurant on the scale of the other ones in the neighborhood, Ápeiro held its own. 

And even though it was small place, their reservation list was at least six months long.

Myungsoo could never imagine waiting that long for anything.

And if he did, it better be worth it.

Ápeiro’s food was good, but it wasn’t his type of good food.

He liked food that warmed the soul.

Ápeiro’s food was too high-end for him.

And when there’s high-end food, there are high-end people who think that expensive food equates to good food.

Myungsoo disagreed with that notion whole-heartedly.

He never wanted a part-time job at the restaurant, but he needed the money. Who in the world doesn’t? He had learned the hard way that money really does make the world turn.

Or at least his.

And he disliked it immensely.

Still, working at this sort of place was never his first pick, but the money he made just from working part-time made him stay.

Myungsoo could only handle so much of pretentious people in one day. And in a four hour to eight hour day, that was a lot of them. 

He sighed as he glanced at his watch. There was still thirty minutes until the restaurant opened up for dinner.

“Hey, now. You can’t be tired now. We have a full reservation tonight. I can’t have my best looking waiter dead at the start of the shift.”

Myungsoo looked up to see the maître d watching him from behind the counter. He walked out and put his arm around Myungsoo’s shoulder.

“Woohyun,” he acknowledged.

Woohyun grinned and took his arm off.

“Smile, would you? Or else your handsome looks will be a waste.”

Myungsoo looked away and rolled his eyes. He sighed involuntary again. He seemed to do that often lately.

Woohyun laughed and patted his friend’s back roughly. “Now, stand up straight and give me a wink,” he ordered.

Only Myungsoo shot him a deathly glare back. “You may be my friend and have gotten me this job, but I don’t do winks,” he emphasized. “Isn’t that your job?”

Woohyun laughed good-naturedly and winked for good measure. “Well, I suppose. But, you know, it doesn’t hurt to add it into your routine.”

Myungsoo snorted. Woohyun was a natural at his job. A smooth talker. And he was better at it than anyone he knew. He could calm an angry guest in less than thirty seconds.

“Still,” Woohyun mused as he took Myungsoo’s face into his hands and turned it to him. He studied it thoroughly. “You really got the looks.”

Myungsoo was surprised when Woohyun held his face, but scoffed as he rolled his eyes. “I really don’t know why you keep saying that. It’s not like you’re not handsome either,” he tried to say, but came out muffled from Woohyun pushing at his cheeks.

Woohyun gasped and dropped his hands from Myungsoo’s face to put them on his own cheeks.

“Awww, Myungsoo,” he gushed, throwing a coy hand gesture at him as he gave him a wink. “Don’t make me blush.”

Myungsoo simply rolled his eyes.

“Will you two stop flirting?” a voice said from behind Myungsoo. “If the owner sees you two messing around, he’ll kill you.”

Woohyun looked at the person, another waiter who had come into the dining area to see what was holding the two up.

“Oh my. Sungjong! Are you jealous?” Woohyun asked jokingly. He walked up to him and hugged him so close that he was snuggling him. “Don’t worry. You’re this restaurant’s freshest face. You are also another important asset to us. Don’t you agree, Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo shrugged. “I guess? Does it really matter?”

Sungjong sighed as he shrugged the other male off him who gave a small exclaim of sadness. “Woohyun may be an idiot, but he’s right about one thing. You really need to smile more often.”

Myngsoo frowned. “Excuse me? It’s not like you’re smiling right now either.”

Sungjong gave him a brilliant grin, and it disappeared as soon as it appeared. “Sure, but at least I know how to when customers are around. Whenever you’re tending to the guests, you always have this chic poker face.”

Woohyun nodded solemnly next to him. “I agree.”

Myungsoo sighed again. “Well, I’m sorry, alright? I can’t help it if my face likes to be like this. And I do too know how to smile.”

Woohyun slyly looked at Sungjong who saw where the man was going for. “Well, you know what would change that?”

Myungsoo looked at them curiously.

“A girl,” Sungjong deadpanned.

“That’s right!” Woohyun exclaimed. “You need to fall in love.”

Myungsoo let a sigh. “Guys, not again.”

“Seriously, Myungsoo,” Sungjong argued. “You always so fixated on living life so rationally and safely, that you never do anything in the romantic category. I mean the only time I seen so smile so hard is when the head cook gave you free food.”

“That’s right! Experience a love worth smiling for!” Woohyun swooned.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. “Right. Sorry that I think about my living expenses before a girl. And like I said before, where am I going to find this love?”

Woohyun grinned. “That’s what makes it so great. You never know. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find her tonight amongst the customers.”

Myungsoo scoffed. “Like that would happen. I don’t even know if I can stand any of them.”

Woohyun frowned and smacked him lightly on the arm. “Now, don’t say that. Every one of our customers is lovely.”

“Lovely? Sure,” Myungsoo muttered sarcastically.

Sungjong clapped his hands to get the other two males’ attention. “Seriously. We need to get ready. We still have to set up a few more tables. You guys can gossip after the night’s done.”

“Hey, now. Who exactly is the boss here?” Woohyun laughed as he followed Sungjong.

Sungjong rolled his eyes. “Apparently not you if you can’t do anything properly.”

Myungsoo followed the other two silently as he thought about what they said. Myungsoo never actually experienced what the other two would call a “real love”. Sure, he had his fair share of crushes, even went out with one or two girls. But even he knew that he didn’t really love any of them and found relationships trivial at best. Honestly speaking, he really was more focused on living life well, managing his living expenses.

And he was fine with it. Living his life like this.

But sometimes, just sometimes, when the other guys at the restaurant talk about love like it’s something so special and beautiful, Myungsoo felt jealous that he never felt like that.

But it was always a fleeting thought.

Because Myungsoo was a realistic person, and he wasn’t about to spend his time thinking about something so unrealistic as love.

 

“Salad and soup for Table 2.”

Myungsoo took the plates on his hands and headed to the table.

“A Macedonia salad for the lady and a Fasolada for the gentleman.”

“Oh my, this looks absolutely delicious!  Doesn’t it darling?” the female crooned.

“Well, I sure hope so. We are spending a small fortune on this meal alone,” her male partner subtly complained.

“Is there anything else you need?” Myungsoo asked politely.

The couple seemed to notice that he was still there.

The man waved him off. “Not now. We don’t need your presence here. You’re spoiling the meal.”

“Now, darling. Don’t be so rude,” the woman scolded lightly. She gave Myungsoo a wink. “Isn’t that right, handsome?”

Myungsoo had to take all his will to not roll his eyes at them.  

He only nodded once and said, “Then I’ll take my leave.”

He walked away feeling the night creeping on him. It had only been only a few hours into service, and Myungsoo was already feeling the fatigue. He glanced at his watch which only made him sigh.

Woohyun passed him and nodded towards one of the back tables. “Got a guest at Table 18. Go take her order.”

Myungsoo nodded silently and headed over.

For some reason, tonight’s service was one of the worst he had. Tonight’s customers seemed more pretentious and snobby than usual. And the more he interacted with them, the more he grew tired. One would think that seeing wealthy people every day would desensitize him, but he doubt he would ever get used to it. Which also made him think that Woohyun and Sungjong were wrong.  

If he was struggling to get through each service, how would he able to find love in this situation.

He shook the thought out of his mind and walked over to his assigned table.

Table 18 wasn’t the best seat in the house. It was tucked in the corner and cramped around other seats.

He was also surprised to see a young woman sitting by herself; and instead of going through her phone like any other young adult her age, she was reading a book.

Myungsoo almost stopped in his tracks when he saw her. He blinked a few times to get his bearing back and walked over to the table.

“Good evening.”

The girl looked up at him and looked down back at her book. She stuffed something between the pages and closed it, setting it down on her lap.

She gave him a brief smile and opened the menu.

Myungsoo glanced at the empty seat across her and questioned, “Are you expecting anybody else?”

She looked at him in mild surprise and followed his quick glance at the empty seat.

She laughed softly, a sound that reminded Myungsoo of bells. “Oh, no. I’m here by myself. I mean, I was expecting someone, but it seems like Gramps won’t make it. So, I thought forget him. I can have a feast by myself.”

Myungsoo nodded slowly. “Alright. Have you decided your order?”

She made a face as she flipped through the menu, humming to herself.

By this time, Myungsoo was a bit dumbfounded. This girl wasn’t exactly the stereotypical guests he had seen all night. Yet, she was dressed like one and the posture of a refined lady, but spoke and acted like a normal girl.

She closed the menu with a snap. “Meh. I think I’ll go with the Chef’s tasting menu. That’s always a safe bet.”

Myungsoo blinked once as he scribbled her order on the notepad. “Very good. We’ll have your food out shortly.”

She gave him a smile and pulled her book from her lap to continue reading.

He walked away feeling odd and a bit refreshed.

He moved toward the kitchen, pulling the page off his pad. “Order up!” he yelled into the kitchen.  One of the kitchen staff took the order and clipped it on the wire line.

Myungsoo tended to his other tables, but his mind wandered to girl who was eating solo.

“Table 18!”

Myungsoo’s  head snapped towards the call and without realizing it, he walked over to take it over.

Sungjong was already there, seeing how whenever it gets busy, any of the waiters can bring food to the tables. He was about to pick up and walk over until he saw Myungsoo.

“What’s up?” he asked curiously, seeing the interesting look on his coworker’s face.

Myungsoo stiffened and mumbled. “Nothing.”

“Oh, really?” Sungjong intoned, raising an eye at him.

Myungsoo looked away as Sungjong silently laughed at him.

He watched the younger boy take the dish over to the girl. “Table 5!”

Myungsoo took the dishes in his hands, but he couldn’t help but to glance over ever so often.

Sungjong and the girl were chatting amiably which made Myungsoo feel a bit queasy inside.

“Stop it, Myungsoo,” he told himself. “She’s probably just another girl from a rich family. Don’t expect anything.”

He nodded to himself, trying to focus on the busy night on hand.

And it was going well.

That is, until there was a loud scream from the back.

 Everyone, including both patrons and workers, turned to look what exactly happened to elicit such a sound.

Myungsoo followed everyone’s gaze to the back where the girl was.

She was standing up; her hand up to her ear which Myungsoo assumed that she was talking through the phone.

“What?” she exclaimed. “Oh my god. I’ll be right there!”

Everyone watched as she grabbed her purse, still on the phone, and rushed through the tables.

“Everybody.”

People’s heads turned from the girl who made the fuss to the man who spoke up in the mess.

“Sorry for the disruption. But it only a small commotion. Please continue to enjoy your meal. We will handle this.”

The customers murmured to each other before going back to their meals.

While Woohyun was placating the guests, Myungsoo watched as the girl hurriedly paid for her uneaten meal and rush out the restaurant.

He blinked at the swinging doors, before turning away and heading back to work.

 

“Oh god,” Sungjong murmured as he took a short break, leaning against the back wall watching Myungsoo stack chairs.

“That must have been the longest service ever. That couple just wouldn’t leave.”

Myungsoo merely nodded as he continued to work.

Sungjong glanced at him before smirking. “By the way, Myungsoo,” he trailed.

“Hmm?” the other male sounded, not looking at his coworker.

“What was all that about?”

Myungsoo stopped moving and looked at Sungjong. “What are you talking about?”

Sungjong grinned teasingly. “You know. Table 18.”

Myungsoo froze for a split second, his eyes widening only so slightly, until he looked away and folded up a tablecloth.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he lied.

Sungjong nodded, unconvinced. “Sure,” he sarcastically murmured. “Didn’t know at all, huh?”

Myungsoo was silent, giving Sungjong a look that could only mean to shut up.

But he didn’t. Not that he knew that his poker faced coworker had taken an interest in someone, especially since that someone was a patron of the restaurant.

“She was cute,” he teased.

Myungsoo stiffened but only said, “You better get started on the other side or else we’ll be here all night.”

Sungjong watched him and before long sighed. “Alright, alright. I’ll let you off this time. But don’t expect me to forget it.” He gave him a cheesy salute and headed off across the room.

Myungsoo watched him before turning back to his work.

He sighed deeply. Sungjong always managed to know what he was thinking, but then again he was good at catching fleeting expressions.

He wanted to forget about the girl who piqued his interest. He was a realistic man, and he doubted that he would ever see her again.

He moved on to the next table before realizing that this was the same table the girl was at.

Myungsoo scoffed at himself for thinking so much about a girl he knew nothing about. He began to clean the table when he realized that there was something underneath it.

He bent down to pick up the object when he realized it was a book.

And not just any book.

The same book the girl was reading earlier.

It was a plain book. Brown and leather bounded.

The cover didn’t even have a title or anything printed on it.

Just a smooth cover that seemed to emit a sort of comforting feeling to it.

His fingers began to itch, his curiosity taking over, urging him to open the book and see what’s inside.

But he forced himself not to and tucked the book into the pocket of his apron and continued to clean the tables.

 

He stared at the book in his hands as he lied in his bed, the bedside lamp illuminating it.

Myungsoo sat up, crossing his legs, as he set the book on his lap.

He didn’t know why he took it home. Nor did he know why he didn’t tell the others that someone forgot their book. They would have kept it safe until she came back.

But Myungsoo simply walked out the restaurant, the book tucked in his backpack.

And now the book was in his possession staring back at him.

He swallowed and bit his lip as he slowly peeled the cover open, hesitating ever so slightly.

He took a deep breath and opened the book to the first page.

“Love Poems,” inscribed with a fancy font that made Myungsoo think of the Victorian Ages.

A poetry book.

Myungsoo didn’t know what he expected, but he wasn’t thinking it would be a poetry book.

His thumb leafed through the pages until he noticed that something was stuck in the pages.

He opened up to the page where he saw a brown object in between the pages, acting like a bookmark.

Myungsoo picked it up and examined it closely.

It was a bracelet. A brown leather bracelet that was similar to the covering of the book.

He ran his finger down the simple bracelet when he realized that there was some letter debossed in it. He frowned and took it closer to the light to read what it said.

Anita

A name.

It was a name.

Myungsoo felt his heart pound a little harder in excitement until he realized his emotions were running wild.

He took a deep breath to calm himself and looked at bracelet again before turning to the book.

He stuck the bracelet back where he found it and glanced at the pages it was holding to.

Myungsoo recognized some of the poets.

Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, E.E. s, and Christina Rossetti to name a few.

Even some the poems he knew from the first few lines.

 

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.”

 

“I loved you first: but afterwards your love

Outsoaring mine, sang such a loftier song.”

 

Myungsoo had recognized the few first lines of both poems from long ago in school.

He flipped through the pages again until he noticed that some of the poems were marked by black ink.

He squinted as he read the poem first.

 

“Sometimes with the Heart

Seldom with the Soul

Scarcer once with the Might

Few – love at all.”

-Emily Dickinson

 

 Underneath it, someone had scribbled, “How very true. Especially in a world like mine.”

Myungsoo frowned at the words, wondering what the girl, who he assumed wrote those words, was thinking.

He continued to look through the pages and the small scribbles in it.

Some said things like, “Thought about this in the park. So many lovers!” under a poem about being alone in a place full of lovers.

Or things like, “My grandparents” on one that sung about a dear and nostalgic love.

He laughed where she wrote, “I love you forevermore. I kinda want someone to tell me this. Haha. Maybe not. Too cheesy. But I love my cheese.”

As Myungsoo continued to read, he suddenly felt like he was intruding. It was obvious that this girl cared a lot for this book and put a lot of thought into some of the poems.

It was if he was gleaming off the surface of the water and making his own judgments about this girl.

Of course, they weren’t bad judgments. In fact, he found that he sort of enjoyed this girl’s personality on the pages. But he refused to make a solid impression just on that.

That would be a disservice to her.

He silently closed the book shut and turned off the lights.

He made a decision to return the book back to the girl and the first step for that would be for the restaurant to take care of it.

 

The next day, Myungsoo didn’t have to work until dinner service, so he didn’t feel the need to go back to the restaurant until then.

But as the day grew darker, he had a sinking feeling that she might have gone back to the restaurant earlier.

 

Woohyun gave Myungsoo an odd look.

“So, what you’re trying to tell me is that you kept the book?”

Myungsoo nodded embarrassedly.

Woohyun sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

“Lovely. It’s too bad you didn’t tell me earlier.”

Myungsoo looked at him regretfully. “She stopped by earlier, didn’t she?”

Woohyun nodded. “Yeah, a young lady came by before lunch rush and asked if we found a book. She said it was important to her. Told her we didn’t, and so she left.”

Myungsoo sighed as he thudded his head on the podium where they were talking at.

“Great. I feel so bad now.”

“You should! What were thinking, bringing it back home with you?” Woohyun scolded him lightly.

Myungsoo didn’t want to tell him why, but he didn’t need to because Sungjong came bounding out.

“Because!” the younger male exclaimed, putting his arm around Myungsoo. “He’s in love,” he sang.

Myungsoo glared at Sungjong while Woohyun turned to look at Myungsoo in surprise.

“Love?” he asked slowly, tilting his head in surprise and wonder.

Sungjong removed his arm and made some corny cute hand movements as he affirmed, “Yes, that’s right. Love.”

Myungsoo sighed and laid his head on his arms that was resting on the podium. “Shut up,” he mumbled half-heartedly.

Woohyun made a noise short of a squeak and a scream. “Myungsoo! No. Yes! My baby is finally growing up.” He wiped an imaginary tear off his cheek.

“So it was that girl who came by earlier?”

Sungjong turned to look at the maître d and grinned cheekily. “Yep, the same one who made that commotion and ran out last night.”

Woohyun laughed. “Oh, Myungsoo. You picked an interesting one. You need to go find her.”

Sungjong frowned. “How can he? He doesn’t know a thing about her.”

The other male shrugged. “Who knows? Put up flyers. Stake out the restaurant in hopes she comes back again. And who cares! Myungsoo’s finally opening up to love!”

Myungsoo only glared at both of them as he continued to brood silently while the other two kept chattering like two high school girls.

 

After already spending two days with the book in his possession, Myungsoo was feeling a bit restless.

Even with last night’s service, his mind was elsewhere. And even with Woohyun and Sungjong teasing him throughout it, he still couldn’t keep his mind off it.

But he wouldn’t know where to start or how to even begin.

All he had was a book and a bracelet, and he knew that would never get him anywhere.

It was simply unlikely that he would meet her again.

Lost his thoughts, Myungsoo realized that he walked into in an unfamiliar neighborhood. He had decided to take a walk before he had to work again in the evening.

But having been so lost in his thoughts, Myungsoo had wandered somewhere he never seen before.

He frowned when he realized that he had walked into the financial district. Myungsoo never really ventured in this particular neighborhood. Mostly because it was simply large business establishments which didn’t have anything to do with him.

He spun around, heading back to the direction he came from.

As he walked, businessman and businesswoman rushed past him, all hurrying to their destinations. Myungsoo thought their eyes looked glazed over as if they all had a single thought and did not focus on their surroundings.

Some almost ran into him or slightly bump into him, but when they looked him, it was as if he wasn’t there. They merely mumbled a small “Sorry” and continued on.

It was a bit unnerving.

And Myungsoo never felt so alone.

He shivered, quickening his steps.

But as he was walking, his eyes managed to glance over to the right as he passed a group of people.

And amidst the people, his eyes caught one figure.

A girl who was walking briskly but almost casually at the same time. She was dressed in professional attire that she looked like the other people on the road. She was talking on her cell phone, an annoyed expression on her face.

Myungsoo froze, causing some people to run into him. They gave him peeved looks but continued on, too busy to care.

When Myungsoo realized that he had stopped, he immediately spun around to look.

He couldn’t see her among the crowd of walking people, but that didn’t stop him.

He blinked once before bounding the opposite direction.

He weaved through the crowd, only spotting the woman as she stopped in front of a building.

He managed to catch up with her as she was fumbling through her purse while still talking through her phone.

“I’m coming!” she growled into the phone. “Tell Gramps that he needs to stop nagging. It’s bad enough that he’s sick in bed. And he’s not even really sick.”

She pulled a key card out of her purse and swiped in through the access swiper.

The light turned green, and she pulled the handle down.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, had never ran so hard in life and was too busy panting to even say anything.

But when he realized that the girl was about to walk inside, he finally managed to shout, “Wait!”

Although it was breathy and short, the girl heard it and turned around to look.

She frowned when she saw an unfamiliar male breathing heavily as he tried to catch his breath.

“Are you talking to me?” she asked, pointing to herself in a confused manner.

Myungsoo nodded and straightened up.

A million thoughts rushed through his head, trying to figure out what was the best way to start a conversation.

Instead, he blurted out, “Book.”

She gave him an even more confused look. “Book?”

By that time, Myungsoo felt like it was better for him to show her instead.

He pulled off the backpack he was wearing and rummaging through it until he pulled it out.

“Book,” he repeated, holding it out to her.

And if it was even possible, the girl gave an even more surprised look. “That’s my book! I thought I lost it! Where did you find it?” she exclaimed excitedly. After thinking it through, she paused. “Wait, how do you even know it’s mine?”

“Sorry,” Myungsoo could only reply.

She raised an eyebrow and laughed. “Is this one word caveman style of speaking in style nowadays?” she teased.

Myungsoo blushed and shook his head.

“I’m sorry.” He smiled at her. “My name is Myungsoo.”

She looked at him briefly before returning the smile. “My name is –”

“Anita,” Myungsoo blurted out the same time she said it.

She blinked at him, opened before closing it. She looked at him up and down and slowly said, “Are you a stalker?”

Myungsoo waved his furiously in protest. “No, no! I, er, looked through your book and your bracelet…” he trailed off, not knowing how to explain.

But she seemed to understand because she brightened up. “Oh! My bracelet. Obviously. My name’s on there.”

She looked at Myungsoo. Actually looked at him. She blushed a bit at seeing his handsome face but snapped out of her thoughts.

She then realized that she had seen him before.

“You’re that waiter from Ápeiro, aren’t you?”

Myungsoo snapped his head up with his mouth agape. “Oh. Yeah. I am.”

“No wonder you found it,” she murmured thoughtfully.

Myungsoo watched her as she smiled softly, his insides swimming.

And before he knew what he was doing, he blurted out, “Will you go out with me?”

She widened her eyes in surprise while he clapped his hand over his mouth.

“Oh. I mean. Um. Would you, you know, like to go out for coffee with me sometime? It doesn’t have to be coffee. I mean…”

Anita watched the man fumble with words and chuckled under breath, a smile blooming on her face.

“Calm down.”

Myungsoo stopped blabbering, clamping his mouth shut.

As she said that, she realized that they were standing in the middle of busy district and opened the door.

“Why don’t you come inside with me?”

Myungsoo looked at her precariously, unsure what to make of the situation.

She laughed and winked at him. “Come on. I don’t bite.”

 

Myungsoo nervously sipped on the cup of coffee that was presented to him in a dainty white teacup. He couldn’t sit still as he could only feel pressured in the elegant waiting room he was currently in.

It was like it was out of a movie.

Two black couches sat facing each other.

Myungsoo was on one end.

Anita was on the other.

She watched him curiously as she set her cup down with a clink.

The sound made Myungsoo flinch a little as he looked at her.

“So,” she said seriously. “You’re the reason why I couldn’t find my book.”

Myungsoo shifted his feet nervously, but tried to keep a straight face. “Well, technically, you left it there.”

Anita raised an eyebrow at that comment and snorted before going on to laughing. “Oh, god. I suppose that’s true. But if you had just left it at the restaurant, I would have been able to pick it up. I thought I had lost it forever.”

Myungsoo looked away and muttered, “Sorry.”

She laughed again and waved her hand at him.

“I’m just teasing. Though I do suppose that this is quite the nice deviation from the everyday life.”

“What do you do?” Myungsoo asked tentatively.

“Me?” she asked with surprise in her voice. She looked at the ceiling as she thought about what to say. “Well, I guess in layman’s terms. I work with business.”

Myungsoo couldn’t help it. He gave her unamused look. “No. I wouldn’t have ever guessed,” he said sarcastically.

She giggled. “Alright, so that might not be the best explanation. Truthfully, I’m just learning. My grandfather is the one who the real conglomerate man in this family. I only just started learning from him. In fact, I never expected to be going into the business. It’s the same ‘ol, same ‘ol. Family’s in the business.  You learn how to live in a rich family. But I actually studied abroad for my education, so I didn’t get the whole ‘be perfect in front of everyone’ treatment. I just happened to be good at mental math and persuading people. Gramps found out and suddenly declared me as his heir.”

She grinned at Myungsoo and leaned in as to tell him a secret. “And let me tell you, hell broke loose when he said that.”

She leaned back onto the sofa and nodded to herself. “Yep. And then good ‘ol me suddenly had to learn the ropes. Not the most exciting stuff to learn, but eh, you deal. But it’s fun. People very much dislike my manner of handling things,” she grinned.

Her eyes widened slightly as if she realized that she just spilled pretty much her life story in front of a stranger.

Her eyes darted from side to side. “And well. Yeah. So there you have it. What I do. Yep.”

Myungsoo blinked at her as he swallowed what she said.

He knew that she was from a higher end family. But to think that she was an heir, well, he didn’t know what to think. But he did know one thing.

“So that coffee?” he coughed slightly.

She looked at him in surprise. “After all that, you still want to have coffee with me? I mean, I pretty much told you that I was a lot to handle. And that I’m not your typical rich girl.”

Myungsoo shrugged. “That’s what made me interested in you. That fact that you seemed absolutely normal despite having the manner of someone with pedigree.”

She studied him for a while, wondering if he was another one of those people who tried to get close to her because she was an heir to a company. But he seemed so sincere. And yet she wasn’t sure.

“In fact, I pretty much dislike pompous people who only think about themselves.”

She looked at him in surprise. He might have said it under his breath, but she definitely heard him.

And suddenly she laughed. “Oh, dear me. You are different from what I expected.”

He looked at her curiously. “What do you mean?”

She frowned. “I mean, whenever anyone approaches me, it’s because they want to get on my good side. They have this false appearance that they’re nice, but they’re only thinking about themselves and how to make themselves richer or higher in the company.”

She smiled at him. “So it’s refreshing for someone to think the opposite. And the only reason they got close to me is because they like me.”

Myungsoo blushed. “I never said I liked you.”

“And asking someone out isn’t because that person likes the other?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

He looked away, still slightly pink.

She laughed a little and cleared , eyes closed as she said, “I don’t like coffee.”

He looked at her with eyes of a kicked puppy, obviously feeling dejected.

She popped one eye open and laughed. “But I do like tea and pastries.”

“I know a pretty nice place a neighborhood down that sells great cakes,” Myungsoo said slowly.

Anita jumped up in glee. “Lovely. How about we go right now?”

“Now?” Myungsoo asked in wonder. “I’m sure you have previous engagements.”

She shook her head playfully. “Nah. I’m sure they can live without me. And if I don’t go now, when will I? Plus, I’m really feeling strawberry shortcakes.”

Anita paused and thought a bit. “I mean, I do have to tell Gramps I won’t be seeing him today. He was pretty much nagging me to come and visit him. He’s the reason why I had to leave the restaurant early last time. He got hospitalized, the blockhead.” She rolled her eyes and whispered, “Don’t tell anybody, but the reason why is because he tripped over the cat.”

Myungsoo snorted softly.

“Right?” she grinned. “I never laughed so hard in my life.”

She brightened up. “Why don’t you come and meet him with me? Kill two birds in one stone! I’ll get to see Gramps and tell him that I’m going for some cakes.”

Myungsoo shook his head nervously. “What? No! I couldn’t. Not just after I just asked you out on a date! He would probably kill me.”

“Nah. Gramps has always been telling me to go date someone. But all the people who asked me out before were just looking at my status. He’ll have so much fun knowing that the reason why you have an interest in me. And besides,” she said as she looked back at him, “I kinda like you and that’s all that matters.”

Myungsoo slowly stood up and smiled back at her. She waited until he was right next to her to start walking.

“By the way,” he slowly started.

“Yeah?”

I love you forevermore.”

She stopped in her tracks and stared at him.

“You saw that?” she squeaked.

He grinned. “Yep.”

She covered her eyes in embarrassment. “God, how embarrassing. This is also one of the reasons I was so scared that I lost the book.”

Myungsoo laughed. “Well, get used to it. Because if all goes well, there will more where that came from.”

She blinked at him in surprised and laughed, “I look forward to it.”  After a second pause, “You got any more?”

Myungsoo chuckled. “How about: If you were a library book, I would never bring you back.”

Anita clapped her hands in delight. “I love it. I think that I’m actually glad that I forgot my book.” She winked at him and walked ahead.

Myungsoo watched her before smiling. He never expected to find love in such a place nor time, but it came to him in the form of a poetry book and a bracelet.

 


A/N: So, I kinda just took your plotline of him finding a poetry book and bracelet and ran with it. I honestly don’t know what I just wrote; but nevertheless, I hope you like it! At first I was going to make Myungsoo a just a waiter at a simple restaurant and then I thought about making him a bartender. And then this happened. I even thought up roles for the rest of the Infinite members. Haha.

And Myungsoo! I guess I just made his character to be the type to be stupid in love.

Anyways, I hope you liked it! If you somehow displeased with how it turned out, please tell me and I’ll try and make it up to you.

You always comment on my stories, and I appreciate that!

Thanks for requesting!