Chapter Two

The Kids Aren't Alright

Fall to your knees, bring on the rapture.
Blessed be the boys time can't capture
On film or between the sheets.
I always fall from your window to the pitch-black streets.

As Junhong dashed through the hallways, trying to get past the swarm of students, weaving his way through the croud as the boy continued to race to his first class. Math. Oh, how he loathed math. Not only did he not understand it, but he sat in front of Himchan, which often led him into trouble. Walking into class, he realized he made it before the bell. A group of girls were talking to each other, a few were on their phones, and Himchan with his other group of friends were talking. Junhong quickly made way to his desk when someone pulled on his jacket, causing him to stop in his tracks.

"Hey , I heard you kissed Youngjae this morning. Is this true?" A familiar voice asked him.

Of course, it was Himchan. Junhong swallowed, his hands visibly shaking. Fumbling on his words, he tried to explain when he was pushed back into the desk, wincing in pain as the desk made contact with his body and a couple of bruises that had been formed last night. Himchan and his group laughed. "I bet the likes it in the . I wonder what poor daddy would think." One boy remarked. As Junhong tried to get up, Himchan forced him back down by pushing his head into the desk, grabbing a fistful of dark blue hair in order to keep him still.

Junhong whimpered, choking out, "Why are you doing this?"

Himchan sneered at the boy, growling, "your mother crashed into my parents on their way home from vacation. She was crying because of what you did to make her grab her keys and leave you - I'm not surprised. Just look at you. - and the only way to avenge them is by hurting you and the person you love the most." Junhong tried to coward back, but Himchan yanked on his hair, bringing him closer to the dark blue haired boy. Junhong cringed in pain, biting down harshly on his lip to keep from screaming in pain. His other classmates didn't seem to be paying attention. Why should they? "You remember, right? Do I need to remind you?" He hissed. Junhong shook his head, Himchan letting go of the dark blue haired boy and returning to his group. Of course Junhong remembers, but it wasn't like that. Himchan, Daehyun, Jongup, they all used to be friends. Until that incident.


The sky had recently turned dark. Junhong's mother and father were arguing downstairs. It was about Junhong and Youngjae's relationship. Mr. Choi thought it was toxic, how Youngjae was poisoning his only son with his homouality. Mrs. Choi was trying to defend her son, saying that it was most likely just a phase. Junhong was hearing all of it, trying to remain silent as hot tears streamed down his cheeks. He dashed to his room, can't bearing to hear anymore of the conversation. The boy pulled out his phone, dialing Youngjae's number and wiping the tears from his face. "Hello?" Youngjae's voice rang through the phone.

"Youngjae, it's Junhong. Do you... do you think I can stay over at your house? Eomma and appa, they're-" Junhong was cut off by Youngjae's voice saying, "don't say anymore. You're always welcome to come over. I'll tell my eomma the situation." Junhong smiled weakily, sniffling. "I hope I'm not a bother."

"You aren't! Eomma doesn't mind. Get over here quickly, okay? I don't want your appa yelling at you." Youngjae said. "I'll be there in a few mintues. I'll see you soon." And with that, Junhong hung up, stuffing his phone in his pocket. Grabbing his backpack, he began stuffing clean clothes, his notepad filled with song lyrics, his pencils, and his favorite stuffed bunny named Totomato. Youngjae's mother was very much aware of Junhong's situations at home; Mr. Choi being a dirty cheat, getting drunk and cheating on Mrs. Choi, Mrs. Choi trying to take care of her only son and his uality, trying to support him anyway she can. Mr. Choi often lashed out at his son, insulting him, blaming him for being born, starving him, and just downright hitting him. Mrs. Choi and Ms. Yoo were very close, being friends for an awfully long time, entrusting her son with the Yoo family. That's how Youngjae and Junhong were so close. Junhong became apart of the family, the Yoo household practically becoming his second home.

Himchan, Jongup, and Daehyun were completely unaware of the situation, only knowing that Mr. Choi didn't approve of his son being homoual. Himchan and Junhong weren't exactly close, but Himchan liked Junhong. To tease with, that is. Jongup was quiet, the closest to Himchan, but often didn't say much, and Daehyun, well, he was a wild card. He often bought illegal fireworks and set them off at night, causing a rukus. All in all, they were bad news, but the only people Junhong could actually call his friends.

Junhong slung the backpack on his shoulders, opening the window and looking down at the ground below him. His bedroom wasn't too far off the ground and he had to sneak out often. But why was he so nervous now? "CHOI JUNHONG!" Mr. Choi's voice rang. Oh . He heard his mother yelling at him, stomping of feet on the stairs. The boy slung his legs out the window and jumped, landing badly on his ankle. He cried out in pain, but he knew his father was on his tail. The blonde haired boy hobbled his way fast as he could, pulling out his phone and dialing Youngjae once more.

"Youngjae, it's my appa, he's after me and my ankle hurts really badly I think I landed on it wrong," he panted, "I'm heading there now though." Youngjae perked up, rushing downstairs to tell his mother the situation. Ms. Yoo nodded, grabbing an ice pack and ordered Youngjae to help Junhong. "Okay, I'll meet you halfway, alright?"

Once reaching the halfway point, the older boy saw the younger hobbling towards him, he cried out, "Zelo!" and dashing over to him. Youngjae slung one of Junhong's arms around his neck, helping the boy. "Is your appa on your tail?" Youngjae asked, concern in his eyes. The boy shook his head, responding with, "no, I don't think so. I was too scared to check." Junhong replied. "If he is, I'll carry you." Youngjae said, smiling at him. Junhong shot Youngjae a look of surprise, opening his mouth to say something when he heard his phone go off. He fished his phone out of his pocket. It was his dad.

As he was going to answer it, Youngjae snatched the phone from Junhong's hand. "Hey!" The blonde haired boy protested. Youngjae declined the call, shoving the boy's phone in his pocket along with his phone, despite Junhong's protests. "The last thing you need is your appa barking commands at you to go home. Too dangerous." The older boy said, making the other look at him like he was a madman. "But, what if it was important?!" Junhong protested again, making Youngjae roll his eyes. "Oh please, like your appa has anything important to tell you."

That was true. His father usually never called him about anything important. It was usually his mother. Reaching Youngjae's house, both boys stumbled inside, Ms. Yoo waiting for them. "Oh my goodness!" Ms. Yoo whined, rushing over to Junhong.

"Choi Junhong, just what did your father do this time?!"

Junhong opened his mouth to say something when Youngjae cut him off. "Eomma, we need to get Junhong's ankle looked at." Ms. Yoo nodded, directing Junhong to the couch, setting him down and propping his ankle onto Ms. Yoo's lap. Rolling up the leg cuff, his ankle was already forming a nasty shade of blue and purple, but it didn't too bad. "Well," Ms. Yoo started off, "it isn't too swollen, but you are not allowed to walk on it until it gets better, understood?" Ms. Yoo said to the curly, blonde haired boy, nodding in response. "Youngjae, get me the ice pack." She ordered, Youngjae complying.

Junhong felt a ping of guilt in the pit of his stomach, muttering, "I'm sorry," to Ms. Yoo. The woman shot her eyes up at the boy, snapping, "don't you dare apologize, Choi Junhong." It surprised the boy so much, he jumped, eyes meeting Ms. Yoo's. "This isn't your fault, do you understand me?" Junhong nodded his head hasily. Ms. Yoo's smile reached from ear to ear, and Junhong can't help but smile back. Youngjae returned with an ice pack and a towel.

As Ms. Yoo carefully placed the ice pack on Junhong's bruised ankle, Youngjae plopped down beside him, rummaging through his backpack and pulling out Totomato. Youngjae smirked at the plushie. "I see you still have Totomato." Junhong directed his attention to Youngjae, eyes landing on the black bunny with his signature blue mask. He snatched the plushie from the older's hands, hugging it close to his heart as his cheeks turned a light shade of pink from enbarrassment.

Youngjae chuckled, placing a hand on Junhong's shoulder. "It's okay, I still have Jokomato." Junhong's eyes lit up, obviously enthusiastic that Youngjae hadn't thrown out his Matoki plushie like Himchan and Daehyun did.

It took Junhong forever to find those. Himchan got Tatsmato, Jongup got Dadamato, and Daehyun got Kekemato. Himchan didn't like how Tats looked, so he gave him back to Junhong. Daehyun said Keke was too girly, so he tried to throw her away, but Junhong kept her. Jongup decided to keep Dadamato, saying it fit him well. As for Shishimato, Junhong didn't have any other friends, so he kept him.

"Do you like Joko?" The curly haired boy asked hesitantly. "That joker-like bunny?" Ms. Yoo interupted, causing both boys to looks at the woman. "Oh, Youngjae sleeps with that bunny all the time, heck, he never lets that thing leave the bed."  said Ms. Yoo. "Eomma." Youngjae nagged, blushing just a bit. Junhong laughed, , leaning on Youngjae's arm, still holding the bunny to his heart.

A few hours of watching TV, going through Junhong's notepad full of songs, and laughs, Junhong fell asleep. Youngjae looked at the sleeping boy's face, grinning slightly and pushing his hair out of his face. Youngjae planted a kiss on Junhong's forehead before carrying him off to bed.

"Goodnight, Youngjae." Ms. Yoo said in a hushed tone, grinning at her son. Youngjae returned the grin, replying with, "goodnight, eomma. See you in the morning." As Youngjae slid Junhong into bed, it wasn't before long until Youngjae was out, the last thing he remembers was Junhong subconciously curling into Youngjae, spooning the boy.

Both boys awoke to Ms. Yoo hollering their names, saying it was urgent. They raced downstairs, as fast as their legs could carry them. Ms. Yoo was watching the TV, covering with her hands. "Eomma?" Youngjae called out. Seeing as how Ms. Yoo didn't respond, the duo walked over to the woman. "Ms. Yoo?"  Junhong called out tentatively. Suddenly, Ms. Yoo had her arms around the curly, blonde haired boy's torso, sobbing into his chest.

"Ms. Yoo, what's wrong?!" Junhong asked again, concerned as he never saw Youngjae's mother like this. Youngjae rushed over, calling out, "Eomma?!" Pulling away from the tall boy, she spoke in between sobs, "Junhong, your mother she... she crashed into another car last night. A firework went off near her, causing her to swerve and crash." Junhong was taken by surprise. "She's-she's gonna be okay, right?" Tears stung Junhong's eyes. Ms. Yoo refused to look at the boy, worry building in his stomach.

"Right?"

Ms. Yoo came clean, it was fatal for both parties. Junhong sobbed into Youngjae, taking this drastically. The next few days were hell for the boy. Youngjae saw the change in the boy, how he was needy, how he begged and begged Youngjae not to leave him, how he found out it was Himchan's parents who Junhong's mother crashed into, swearing to Junhong he'll make his life a living hell, getting his first beating from both Himchan and Mr. Choi. How all signs of life and joy left Junhong's eyes. It was Youngjae who had to save him from himself, so being there for Junhong was a priority, Ms. Yoo taking care of Junhong like his mother would. It didn't stop Junhong from bringing a blade to his skin, and once Youngjae found out, Youngjae broke down. It was the first time Junhong saw Youngjae a sobing mess, so he made a promise to himself he wouldn't hurt Youngjae again

He wrote.

He wrote and wrote until his fingers hurt. He wrote songs, expressing his sadness in lyrics rather than a blade. When Mr. Choi found these songs, he burnt them to a crisp, dishearting the boy. He wanted his blade, to relieve the pain, but re-wrote everything from scratch, giving the two songs a title. One labeled "Rain Sound" and the other named "Coma". Junhong was careful to hide these songs, but it didn't stop Mr. Choi from hurting his son.


Junhong couldn't stop thinking about all of that. It was long ago that he wrote those songs - when everything went to hell. His thoughts distracted himself in class, ending with his teacher calling him out. The entire class broke into a fit of laughter. His mind was still on that day. He felt a tear leave his eye, wiping it quickly before anyone saw.

"Aw, it the baby crying?" Himchan cooed. Spoke too soon. The teacher slammed his pointer on the desk, the noise echoing throughout the classroom, shutting up the students entirely. "That's enough." The teacher ordered, eying Junhong. "Mr. Choi, I expect you to pay closer attention." He spat. Junhong bowed his head, replying with, "my apologizes, sir. I will pay more attention." His mind still wandered off to that memory, trying not to let tears spill from his eyes. Once the bell rang, he dashed out of class, sniffling as a few tears streamed down his face.

He just wants his mom back.

---

in which robin actually updates

i hope you enjoy that chapter!! sorry it took me so long to update, i'm very busy with work, family, and now i'm sick. whoops. anyhow, i'll try to update more often, but it does take awhile. i hope you liked it though!!! uvu