Chapter One

The Kids Aren't Alright

Stuck in the jet wash.
Bad trip I couldn't get off.
And maybe I bit off more than I could chew
And overhead of the aqua blue.

 

"Appa, please, stop!" Junhong pleaded, trying to use his arms to shield himself from the leather belt.

"I'm sorry Appa, it won't happen again, I'm sorry!" Thedark blue haired boy cried, hot tears streaming down his cheeks. "How DARE I see you with that Youngjae boy?! What have I told you?! Idiotic boy, you never listen to me, do you?!" Mr. Choi barked, bringing down the belt to mark the boy's pale skin, obvious red marks forming on Junhong's arms, legs, and even face. Mr. Choi stopped whipping the boy, spitting out, "stand up and strip of your shirt. You aren't finished yet, boy." Junhong stood, staggering slighty as his legs tremnled, feeling like they were about to give up on him. He began to discard his shirt, wincing in pain from the strikes of his father's belt.

"Hands on your head and turn around." Mr. Choi ordered.

Sniffing, Junhong did as he was told. Mr. Choi mustered a, "this a reminder; a reminder that it's all your fault that your eomma left us, your fault that I get drunk every night, wanting your eomma to come home, your fault that are a burden, a mistake." He began whipping Junhong's back with the belt buckle, putting fresh bruises on top of other. It hurt. It hurt so badly. Everytime Junhong would cry, sob, or even whimper, Mr. Choi made sure it would hurt more and more. Junhong saw black spots filling his vision, his head pounding. After a couple of minutes, Mr. Choi whispered to Junhong, "you're a disgrace" and left to his bedroom. The boy fell to the ground, breathing heavily and shakily.

Before he knew it, he slipped into oblivion, but woke up a couple hours after his back aching and stinging. He knew Youngjae would question him onto why he was so stiff. He wanted to get to bed, to feel the mattress dip into his body, the comfort of his sheets, but he didn't feel like he deserved such a luxury. 'Just for Youngjae,' Junhong thought, 'just for him, I will reward myself with my bed.' Junhong stood from the hard wood of the living room, slowly making his way to his room and not wanting to risk his body making contact with the floor below him. Once entering his room, he closed and locked the door, dragging his feet to his bed. Once the boy made contact with the soft furniture, he was out like a light.


The next morning Junhong awoke with his alarm clock blaring. Groggily, he turned it off and wiped the sleep from his eyes. He shuffled out of bed, his mind still cloudy from drousiness. He retrieved clothes from his closet, a plain black shirt with black skinny jeans, perfect for the cold, September air. Junhong decided a hot shower would be best idea to get the day started. The hot water pelted his back, wincing slightly as it pelted the fresh bruises that marked the dark blue haired boy's back. It stung, but Junhong hastily got himself cleaned off, ridding of the awful stentch of metal and sweat. He quickly dried off and got dressed, giving his hair a good drying before barging back into his room to swipe his favorite mask from his desk, a black mask decorated with evened out rhinestones and a couple of chains, putting it loosly around his neck. Quickly tying his sneakers and grabbing his black jacket that reached just below his knees, he grabbed his shoulderbag filled with his books and barged out the door, locking the door behind him.

He was grateful his father left for work before Junhong got up, but also not very grateful since his dad used to be his ride for school, but now he had to run in order to actually have time to talk to his friend, Youngjae. Youngjae was just a year older than Junhong, Junhong being 16 years young, thus making Youngjae 17 years young. Junhong arrived at the school gates, panting. Once his heartbeat returned to normal, he walked into school to find Youngjae waiting for him.

"Junhonggie~" Youngjae said in a sing-song voice, approaching the latter.

"Ah, hello Youngjae-hyung," Junhong greeted flatly. Scanning his surroundings, he knitted his brows together. "Usually Himchan and his friends would be mocking me by now..." he pointed out. Youngjae laughed, putting his arm around his friend's shoulder. "And that's a bad thing?" He asked, arching a brow and laughing. Junhong shook his head. "No no, I'm not complaining or anything, I just find it strange." The dark blue haired boy said. Kim Himchan - a senior bully who bullied and beaten Junhong ever since he was 13. He and his friends, Jung Daehyun and Moon Jongup, bullied both Youngjae and Junhong. Junhong felt utter guilt since he was bringing Youngjae down with him, but he said he didn't mind much. Junhong had a hard time believing that.

"Anyways, Junhong-ah," Youngjae began as the two walked side by side to the school's cafeteria, "eomma wanted to know if you wanted to stay over my house Friday? A cousin of mine's coming over and eomma really wanted you to meet him." He gave the younger a toothy grin while the other blinked at him. "Well, I guess so. But, you know how my appa is. He... wouldn't like it." Junhong said, biting his lip and casting his gaze to the ground. "So? Just sneak out!" Youngjae suggested. The dark blue haired boy looked at the latter in complete shock. "S-sneak out?" He choked out. Youngjae simply nodded, that stupid smile never leaving his face. "I-I couldn't! I can't even think of the punishment-" He was cut off by Youngjae's hand covering the boy's mouth. "You worry too much, Jello-ah." Junhong growled, pushing the latter's hand away from his mouth. Youngjae knew damn well how much Junhong hated that nickname, yet he said it just to get a reaction from the other.

His thoughts were cut short when he heard a familiar voice holler, "hey look boys, it's the giant crybaby with his boyfriend!"

Himchan began making kissy noises as the others laughed with him in agreement. "Hey Goliath, why don't you put that mask on to hide your ugly face? It's blinding." Daehyun mocked, rubbing his eyes. And that's exactly what Junhong did. He put his mask on, covering the lower half of his face, gazing down at his feet. "Awww, what're you gonna do? Go cry to eomma? Oh wait, she left you!" Jongup exclaimed, howling with laughter, but it seemed forced. Youngjae shot them a dirty look, growling, "wait till I get my hands on you," but Junhong put a hand on Youngjae's arm, squeezing it softly as the others spat foul names and remarks at the two, all getting to Junhong's head. "Let's go, Youngjae... They aren't worth it." He muttered, tears threatning to spill. Youngjae's expression softened and nodded, taking hold of his hand and walking off.

Once out of eye view from Himchan, Youngjae turned to Junhong, grabbing both of his shoulders. "Junhong, are you okay?" He asked, concern in his eyes. The latter didn't say anything and Youngjae took the hint that he wasn't.

He pulled down Junhong's mask, looking at the boy. "I know we aren't together anymore, but god, I'd do anything to have one more kiss from those beautiful lips of yours." He said softly, earning a shy smile from Junhong and an obvious blush to form on his cheeks. "Only on the cheek, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea," the latter responded shyly. Closing his eyes, Youngjae planted a kiss on Junhong's cheek. Nothing romantic, but it felt nice. A few seconds later, Youngjae pulled away, Junhong's face gone completely red. Youngjae laughed, kissing his forehead. The bell rang and Youngjae groaned in annoyance. Junhong surpressed a giggle and said, "I'll see you after classes, okay hyung?" Junhong said reassurringly. Youngjae nodded. "I'll see you after classes, Jello-ah." As the two parted ways, Junhong shouted, "and stop calling me that!" which earned a loud laughter from the other. Junhong smiled and dashed to class.

Junhong loved Youngjae, even though they weren't together anymore. They had dated for 2 years, since Junhong was 13, but had to breakup since Junhong's father found out about their relationship. Youngjae wasn't mad, he knew about Mr. Choi and how he acted and what he did. Which is why Youngjae always invited him over. Since he was practically apart of the family, Youngjae's mother became like Junhong's mother, but always cried when she would go to extreme lengths to let Junhong stay the night to avoid his wasted father.

Junhong loved Youngjae and Youngjae loved Junhong.


three cheers for side!younglo!!!! maybe. i hope this was good enough for it to be apart of your time uwu if you want more, leave a comment down below!!!

btw, if you don't know what zelo's outfit looks like, it's his outfit in one shot (aka this):