Chapter Three

The Kids Aren't Alright

And with the black banners raised
As the crooked smiles fade.
Former heroes who quit too late.
Who just wanna fill up the trophy case again.

 After a few more classes, History - he had history with Jongup, but Jongup didn't much, oddly enough, he gave him answers to questions that he didn't know, rarely. They sat next to each other. Junhong kind of liked Jongup when they were still friends, both of them being the same age and all, but there was no hiding that Jongup had a large crush on Himchan. The latter, on the other hand, didn't notice, either that, or didn't care, - Science, English, and his extra carricular class he signed up for, Chorus - he had Chorus with Youngjae and Daehyun, Daehyun usually didn't bother them, saying he didn't want to catch stupidity and distract him - he walked to lunch with Youngjae. He and Youngjae sat in a spot where no one bothered them, under a large, shaded tree away from everyone.

"Gummy?" Youngjae offered, gestering to the packet of opened gummies.

Junhong shook his head, muttering a "no thanks", rejecting his offer. Youngjae shrugged, popping a couple in his mouth. "Oh, by the way," he said, swallowing, "eomma said my cousin's coming tomorrow morning and we were gonna spend that day shopping and catching up. Since you're also apart of this family," he flashed Junhong a smile and Junhong just knew exactly where this was going. Before he could continue, Junhong said, "I can't, we have school that day." Youngjae groaned in annoyance, resting his head on the taller's shoulder. "You push yourself too much, Zelo-ah." Hearing the nickname made Junhong smirk ever so slightly. He chose the nickname so he and Youngjae can pass on important messages in front of his father, talking about "Zelo" in the third person and they used the nickname if Junhong didn't feel comfortable using his birth name with someone, which was often.

"I do, but I need to have good grades." Junhong replied. "So what if you miss a day? Ms. Kim and Mr. Byun knows just how much you push yourself. They even let you get work done in between class time because they like both you and I. Just one day, pleaaaase?" Youngjae pleaded, looking up at Junhong, jutting his bottom lip out. Kim Taeyeon and Byun Baekhyun were their Chorus teachers, some days it was Baekhyun, most days it was Taeyeon, and sometimes, they joined together. The two of them were a duo, both wonderful singers, full of bright and uplifting energy. Taeyeon and Baekhyun could see how hard Junhong pushed himself, so they let him finish up homework he couldn't finish the night before, giving him small breaks during class time. Junhong wanted to make it up to them, somehow, but they said for him not to worry about it. He casted a glance to Youngjae, arching a brow.

"You're making it really hard for me to say 'no', hyung." Junhong said in a monotoned voice. Youngjae shot up, flashing him a toothy smile before wrapping his arms around the boy's neck loosely, bouncing up and down and practically squealing. "You're going to love my cousin, you'll see! He's so nice, he may seem a little intimidating, but he's like a little puppy dog." Youngjae rambled and Junhong couldn't help but smile, eating his lunch. "Oh!" Youngjae exclaimed in the middle of his rambling, he said, "we'll drop by your house on the way home, so wait for me by the gates, okay?" Junhong nodded.

After saying goodbyes, they parted ways to finish their classes, Junhong smiling to himself. Gym class was usually at the end of the day, which he also shared with Jongup. The coach favored Jongup, considering he had the most atheltic build and stamina. Junhong usually at gym, his body was meant for dancing, not running. Although, ever since the incident, he stopped dancing and got more invested in his studies. Since he lacked a lot of stamina, he got tired quickly, resulting in him overworking himself and almost passing out.

"Good work, Moon Jongup." He heard the coach say, patting the boy on the back. He casted Junhong a glance before hollering at him, "let's go, Choi Junhong! We don't have all day!" A few kids snickered, Junhong picking up the pace and eventually reaching to finish marker. Breathing rather rigid, the coach dismissed the students and they headed back to the locker rooms. The sound of lockers opening and closing and clothes russtling filled the Boy's Locker Room. He usually hated the sounds and hated that his locker was across from Jongup's. Himchan and Daehyun would often pick up Jongup after the bell rang, tormenting Junhong as the other watched. Jongup would often join it, but it seemed forced. Other than that, they never spoke a word to each other.

At the boy began shifting out of his clothes, his gaze was caught by Jongup staring at him. Blinking a couple of times, Junhong called out, "you're staring." Jongup blushed a bit before turning back to his locker. 'Odd,' Junhong thought. Once changed into his normal clothing, as he went to pick up his bag, Jongup's voice said, "I can help you." Confused of the statement, he shot a confused glance at him. Jongup had his head turned the other way. "I can help you with P.E. and history... if-if you want." He said shyly. Junhong arched a brow, moving towards the shy boy. "I thought you hated me..." He began. Jongup shook his head, locking eyes with Junhong. "I don't it's just that-" he exhaled, rubbing his neck. "You want to impress Himchan?" Junhong finshed for him. Blushing more, Jongup nodded. "I want him to seem like I'm cool, y'know, like him. And teasing you is..." he trailed off, hanging his head in shame..

Junhong smirked slightly, bending down so Jongup can look at the boy in the face. "I'd never thought someone like you could be so mean." He stated, making Jongup laugh. The bell rang. School was over. Before Junhong can dash out to meet Youngjae, Jongup took his arm by surprise. He squeaked, turning his head to Jongup. "Hey, uh, Zelo?" He started off. Junhong arched a brow  as the latter said, "I still have that green bunny you gave me. I really like him." And for once, Jongup gave him a sincere smile. His smirk grew, saying, "I'm glad you do. Maybe when you aren't hanging out with Himchan, you can hang out with Youngjae and I?" Jongup nodded, replying, "I'd like that." The two waved goodbye and parted ways.


"Jongup isn't so bad."

The words caught Youngjae so off-guard, he almost choked, making Junhong exclaim with a "careful hyung!". "He's what?" He said, dumbfounded. The two were walking back to Junhong's house to pick up a few things, Youngjae being there just in case his dad came home early. "He's not so bad." Junhong repeated himself, munching on Youngjae's leftover gummies from lunch that afternoon.

"You do understand who he hangs out with, right?"

Junhong nodded.

"So, what makes you say such a ridiculous accusation like that?" Youngjae exclaimed, throwing up his hands dramatically.

Due to the drastic action, Junhong snickered. "He and I talked today and said he was doing all of that to impress Himchan." Junhong shrugged. "Not surprised, to say the least. Love is blind." Youngjae said, causing the latter to roll his eyes. "Looks who's talking. Why did you kiss me this morning, anyways?" Junhong asked. Youngjae shrugged, replying with, "I just like the way it feels." and earning the latter to burst into hysterics, causing them to stop in their tracks. "Knock it off, it isn't polite to laugh at your hyungs, Jello." Youngjae teased, his cheeks tinted red. Afte his laughter subsided, Junhong said, "you need to stop kissing me. People'll get the wrong idea that we're still together." He said, finishing the packet and throwing it away.

The two had continued talking, and once reaching Junhong's house, the two scrambled inside, eager to pack Junhong's belongings. Youngjae tossed in Junhong's backpack clean clothes, pajamas, and anything he might need, while Junhong stuffed his notepad filled with song lyrics, Totomato, and Shishimato, just incase Youngjae's cousin might be into Matoki, or just likes how the bunny looked. It was a while since the last time Junhong held Totomato. His father scolded him that it was a 'child's toy', but it made him hold on to the childhood he wanted. After the two packed enough clothes for the taller, they dashed out of the house, knowing Junhong's father would be home soon.

"Yoo Youngjae and Zelo!" A female voice called.

The two skidded to a stop and turned around to find a danity female skipping to the two, a bright smile on her face.

"Jieun!" Junhong exclaimed, running over to her and hugging her. She laughed, hugging back. "Look how tall you're getting, Zelo! Goodness, I'll need to be stepping on my tippy toes to reach your height." And thus, she rolled onto her toes, yet still didn't reach the taller boy's height. "Mmm, nope!" Jieun laughed brightly.

Song Jieun was 19 years old who recently graduated. She was good friends with the two, giving them a tour of the school and all while they were freshman. Her parents were very good friends with Junhong's mother before she passed. If  Junhong couldn't be at Youngjae's when his father was in a rampage, he went to Jieun. Jieun became like a sister of the two, hanging around with them often. Junhong looked up to Jieun for intelligence and personality.

Putting her hand in Junhong's, she began walking with the two. "So where are you two headed?" Before either of them could speak up, Jieun held up her index finger, shushing them. "Let me guess," she hummed in thought for a moment before saying, "Zelo is spending the night with Youngjae." Both males chuckled in amusement, nodding their heads in agreement. "Yup, my cousin's coming in from Busen and will be staying for a few months." Youngjae announced.

Jieun's eyes widened. "Busen? That's about a 4 hour drive from here to Busen. Is he taking the train?" The female asked.

Youngjae nodded. "Hyung is a brave guy, he can take care of himself. Besides, he's pretty strong, so I wouldn't be too worried about him."

See, Junhong has never seen Youngjae's cousin before. He's heard stories about him but hasn't seen him. Youngjae has been putting off showing pictures of him because he wanted to surprise Junhong. He has no idea if this surprise is going to be good or not. What if his cousin doesn't like him? What if he makes an utter fool out of himself?

"Zelo," Jieun's voice rang through his ears, snapping him out of his thoughts, "you okay? You're spacing out there."

Junhong nodded. "Yes, noona, I'm fine. I was just thinking." Jieun tilted her head to the side in confusion. It was cute, to say the least. "About Youngjae's cousin?" Another nod.

Youngjae snickered, bumping shoulders with Junhong's lightly, wary of the bruises that were on his body. "Don't worry about him. He's a huge sweetheart. He maybe intimidating at first, but trust me, hyung is anything short of mean. In fact, he's such a softie that he even has a Tigger plushie I gave him when I was, like, 10." Youngjae said, a bright smile on his face and earned a laugh from both Jieun and Junhong.

"My cousin and your cousin need to meet sometime, Youngjae-hyung. I'm sure they'd have a lot in common." Junhong said, smirking slightly.

Junhong's cousin, Jiho, lived all the way in the Mapo District in Seoul not far from Incheon - about a 2 hour train ride -  but he couldn't visit often due to college. Junhong got his nickname from his cousin's - his cousin's nickname being Zico - and it stuck ever since. Jiho was Junhong's favorite from his family. He was very nice and rapped a lot. Junhong likes to hear Jiho rap and even inspires to be just like him someday.

Youngjae and Jieun talked during the walk, Junhong spacing out for the most part, often humming along until they reached Youngjae's house. The sky became gray with rain clouds, a clear sign it was going to rain soon. The lights were on inside the house as a familiar car was parked in the parking space. Youngjae's mother was home, most likely preparring for Youngjae's cousin's arrival.

"Well, this is my cue to leave. C'mere, you two." Jieun said, pulling both boys into a hug. Once saying goodbyes, the two made their way into the house

Just as suspected, Ms. Yoo was busy cleaning and preparring for Youngjae's cousin's arrival. The place usually looked spotless, so it didn't seem necessary to clean anymore. Youngjae furrowed his eyebrows taking off his shoes and setting them by the door, Junhong following his lead. "Eomma, what are you doing?" Youngjae called out as he walked over to his overworked mother.

His mother exhaled, setting down the cleaning rag. "Well, I want this place to look spotless for his arrival, my son." Ms. Yoo responded, taking notice of the awkwardly tall boy, a smile forming at her lips when seeing the overnight bag Junhong and Youngjae preparred. "Ah, Junhong, so good to see you again." The elder female cooed, walking over to Junhong and hugging him. Junhong laughed, guiding Youngjae's mother to the couch to set her down. "Ms. Yoo, you need to not overwork youself so much. The house looks amazing as is." Junhong complimented.

"So nice of you, Junhonggie." The boy blushed a tad at the use of the pet name. "Youngjae, can you make sure the guest room is ready for your cousin, please?" Ms. Yoo requested. Youngjae nodded and replied, "yes," as he walked up the stairs. Junhong took a glace at Youngjae's mother before saying, "so you are also avoiding telling me his name as well, huh?" Junhong asked. Ms. Yoo smilied mischievously before saying, "I have no idea what you're talking about." earning a groan from Junhong as the elder woman laughed mirthfully.

"You don't mind you and Youngjae sharing a bed in his room, right?" Ms. Yoo asked. Junhong nodded. Of course he didn't mind. Youngjae walked down the stairs and called out, "the bedroom is all ready, eomma." "Perfect!" Youngjae's mother exclaimed, standing up. "I'm going to cook dinner. You and Junhong can hang out in your room until then, alright?" Youngjae nodded, beckoning his friend to come up the room. Junhong and Youngjae raced up to the room, Junhong reaching the room first as he jumped for the bed.

"Hey no fair! You cheated!" Youngjae protested, crossing his arms over his chest before grabbing Junhong's backpack, ping it and throwing his bunny plushie at the boy as he lied down beside him. Junhong whined, rolling onto his back and saying, "oh god, what will my dad think?"

Youngjae sat up, looking at the younger as his face read, "panic" all over. "Hey, relax," Youngjae said, wrapping his arm around Junhong's shoulder. Junhong whined, shifting uncomfortably. "What if he calls the police? What if he knows I'm over here or knows I'm going to skip school tomorrow?" Junhong began to ramble on and on about his worries until Youngjae slapped a hand over his mouth. "Junhong," Youngjae said firmly, "you need to relax. Everything is going to be okay, and don't say that it isn't, because it is."

He removed his hand, but the sad glance Junhong was giving him made him think he still wasn't convinced.  Youngjae exhaled before reaching for Junhong's backpack again, pulling out the black, camo patterned bunny with the red mask. Youngjae looked at it before throwing it, aiming at Junhong's head. Junhong whined, rubbing his forehead - the area where the bunny hit him. "Ow." Junhong whined, but coming out more as a question.

"Stop worrying. At least you don't have to face Himchan and his litle group of robots. It's gonna be fun, I promise." Youngjae reassured, plopping back down on the bed and laying his head in Junhong's lap.

"I guess you're right," Junhong agreed, the latter's hair. "I just hope I'm not ditching school for a bad reason."

Youngjae snorted, looking up at the dark blue haired boy his hair. "If you are, you can literally punch me in the face." Junhong pretended to think about it before making a disgusted face. "No, that doesn't sound like me." He said, earning a nod from the other boy. Junhong reached behind him, his hands coming in contact with the same material from Junhong's plushie and shoving it in Youngjae's face, earning a surprised yelp from the latter. "Oh, it's on!" Youngjae annoucned, wrestling the boy again.

Although they were having fun, Youngjae's elbow rammed into one of Junhong's bruises, earning a high pitched yelp of pain. "Ah! Junhong, are you okay?!" The latter inquried, concern dripping in his voice. Before Junhong could reply, Youngjae's mother called them both down for dinner. Junhong said, "I'm fine, let's not wrestle anymore tonight, if that's okay." The older hummed in agreement, shooting Junhong a look of sympathy.

At dinnertime, Junhong couldn't stop fidgeting in his seat. He was worried that his father would barge over here and try to take Junhong home. He kept glancing from his phone, to see if his dad were to call, to the front door, to see if his dad were expecting him. It wasn't until Ms. Yoo began talking about Youngjae's cousin which got his attention. She rambled on about how he hasn't visited since Youngjae was 10, how he was so gentle and loved music. Junhong perked up at the mention of music since he inspires to make music when he becomes older. Junhong listened to Youngjae's mother, Youngjae even adding in a few comments, with intensity. The more they talked about him, the more Junhong couldn't wait to see him.

Once dinner was over, Youngjae and Junhong helped Ms. Yoo with the dishes and eventually shooed the boys up to Youngjae's room. Closing the door behind him, Youngjae grabbed a pair of pajamas. "Hey Junhonggie, do you want the shower first?" The dark brown haired boy asked. Junhong shook his head, "no, it's okay, I showered earlier." Junhong said. "Maybe we can shower together?" Youngjae teased, arching a brow which resulted in a flustered Junhong and a laughing Youngjae.

Junhong shook his head, muttering, "ert." Reaching inside his backpack, he got his phone charger, plugging it in and his phone, changing into his pajamas as Youngjae was in the shower and got under the covers. Junhong thought about Youngjae's cousin, who's name was Bang Yongguk. He wondered what Yongguk looked like. Youngjae mentioned he was strong and Youngjae's mother mentioned he was handsome. Thoughts and images raced through Junhong's mind and the opening of the bathroom door that connected with Youngjae's bedroom breaking him from his thoughts.

"Hey." Youngjae greeted. "Hey yourself." The dark blue haired replied. Youngjae crawled into bed next to Junhong, curling up next to him. "What are thinking about?" The dark haired boy whispered, his eyelids becoming heavy as sleep beckoned him. The younger smirked, responding with, "nothing hyung. Go to bed, we have a big day ahead of us." Youngjae nodded, yawning and curling up more into the taller boy.

As the younger's eyelids became heavier and heavier, thoughts of Yongguk arising. Junhong hopes he's everything he imagines.

---

i am so sorry i haven't updated in so long

i really hope you enjoy this chapter, i'm trying really hard, but i'm tired. haha ^^;

enjoy all and i await you in the next chapter! also, i put up what each B.A.P member looks like in the story and i added a few characters for plot lmao rip me