One

Sunflowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thank you, I can handle from here. This is for today.” Seolhyun thanked the staff from the moving company. The sky was dark so Seolhyun quickly carry her boxes under the shelter.

 

The black haired girl carried boxes by boxes into the lift and pressed on the fifth storey button. She moved into a new apartment because the rent for her previous apartment is too expensive and she couldn’t afford it anymore. She found a much cheaper place which is where she currently moved in.

 

Seolhyun opened the door to her new home with a heavy heart. She loves her previous apartment because they hold so much memories. She had to move out of there because things were not working out for her.

 

Her father is in jail for company embezzlement and her mother is in a relationship with another man. She wanted Seolhyun to move in with her and her boyfriend but the latter didn’t want to because she isn’t comfortable with that. Her mother’s boyfriend wasn’t well off, as well as her mother, so she had to support herself.

 

“At least it’s not what I expected it to be. Let’s be positive about this Seolhyunie!” There’s a king sized bed by the corner of the apartment and a study x dining table just opposite the bed. Also, there’s a balcony which Seolhyun loves.

 

Seolhyun was too captivated by the view outside of the window that she had forgotten she had left the rest of her boxes outside.

 

“Hey! Anybody inside?!” Someone screamed just when Seolhyun was about to go out.

 

“Hi, I’m the new resident here.” Seolhyun smiled. Hyejeong, the resident opposite Seolhyun’s apartment glared at Seolhyun.

 

Hyejeong eyed Seolhyun from top to toe, “Can you please move these boxes into your apartment? It’s so dusty. Do you know something called air pollution?”

 

“Hey, you don’t have to be so rude. There’s so many boxes and I only have a pair of arms.” Seolhyun argued. Her mood that day was nowhere near good.

 

“Yeah, yeah. You have money for a Gucci bag but doesn’t have any to hire a moving company?” Hyejeong hissed. There was a box labelled ‘Precious’ that is slightly opened so Hyejeong could see what’s in it.

 

“This is the first bag I bought using my first pay. I did hire a moving company but I only told them to leave my boxes downstairs and I’l carry it up because if they did, there’s going to be extra charges. I don’t even have money for a cup of ramyun now.” Seolhyun rolled her eyes and carried two boxes at the same time.

 

Hyejeong felt soemthing when Seolhyun said those things. Hyejeong didn’t know what it was. Sympathy? Pity? She’ll find that out soon.

 

At night, there was a heavy downpour. Seolhyun couldn’t sleep as she hasn’t got used to the new environment yet. She went to the balcony and watch the rain. Seolhyun always liked the sound of the rain drops, there are sounds from Seolhyun’s stomach as well. She’s hungry but there wasn’t any food for her to eat.

 

She looked to her right and saw Hyejeong. The taller girl is smoking and there’s a pack of cigarette next to her, lying lifelessly on the railing. Seolhyun was shocked because she didn’t know Hyejeong smokes. she looks like a good girl. Just when Seolhyun changes her line of vision, Hyejeong turned to her left and saw Seolhyun.

 

“I’m so hungry… Kim Seolhyun, you can do it! You can fall asleep with this empty stomach. You’ll pull through tonight and let’s find a job tomorrow!” Seolhyun talked to herself.

 

“She’s hungry…? And doesn’t have a job? Then how is she going to live?” Hyejeong mumbled.

 

Hyejeong figured out what Seolhyun was talking about because she studied lip read in her final year of university. Hyejeong then went back into her apartment.

 

Seolhyun went back to her bed and lay flat on her tummy. She was tossing and turning around but she just couldn’t fall asleep. Seolhyun gave up on trying to sleep and took out a photo of her family portait. 

 

“Appa… Umma… I really miss you.” Tears start to roll down Seolhyun’s face as she was getting more emotional. She wiped them off quickly, remembering that she had promised her parents that she’ll be strong.

 

 

 

#ding dong#

 

 

Seolhyun wondered who will visit her at such wee hours. Nonetheless, she went to open the door. No one was outside the door, Seolhyun was slightly annoyed because she thought someone pulled a prank on her. But when she looked down, there were tofu stew, some rice and some side dishes. Below the bowl, there’s a name card.

 

 

Shin Hyejeong

Senior Psychiatrist

Sunflower Psychiatrist Clinic

Tel: 010-9968-834

Email: [email protected]

 

 

’Could it be that girl just now who was cold to me?’

 

Seolhyun shrugged off the thoughts as her stomach grumbled again. She brought the tray of food in and ate everything within 15 minutes. Seolhyun washed and dried the utensils, bowls and plates and placed them on the table. She figured it would make her look like she hasn’t eat for the whole day (which is true) if she returns the utensils now so she decided to return them tomorrow morning.

 

Now that Seolhyun’s stomach is filled, her brain can start thinking. She was wondering why Hyejeong gave her the name card. Could it be Hyejeong has figured out that she doesn’t have a job? Or could it be she wanted Seolhyun to work with her so she can see her beautiful face? Sometimes Seolhyun does think highly of herself.

 

Seolhyun laughed at what she just thought. She has had many girlfriends before but they all only wanted her money.

 

Seolhyun decided to drop by the clinic tomorrow and for now, she’ll throw Hyej

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter