final

I just really really love you

Her fingernails drummed on the desk repeatedly, eyes directed toward the front of the class. If Huang Zitao pressed her s any further into their professor’s arm, Jongin would personally walk up to the front of the class and grab her by her hair. Of course, she didn’t think it helped that their professor was ridiculously attractive—tall, handsome—and Jongin loved his goofy smile more than anything in the world. Park Chanyeol, a first year literature professor, and Jongin’s boyfriend. But that last part was a secret.

She took a deep breath, tearing her eyes away from the front of the classroom, focusing them on her fingernails. Jongin had just had them done, acrylic nails in black with little fake diamonds making a heart on each corner. She looked at them and wondered if they were too much. Would Chanyeol even notice? He was a little slow.

“That’ll be all for today. See you all on Thursday,” called Chanyeol’s voice.

Jongin looked up again and saw Zitao skipping back to her seat as everyone else packed up. Chanyeol was slipping his textbook and files into his messenger bag at the front. Jongin slipped her notebook into her backpack and zipped it up, standing right after. She debated going down to talk to the young professor, but decided against it, shouldering her bag and heading out the door.

A tall boy sidled up to her, bumping shoulders playfully. Jongin looked up, only to see the meme like face of her best friend, Oh Sehun.

“’Sup?” he said.

“Heading to my next class. What else?”

“I thought you didn’t have class for another forty-five minutes?”

Jongin frowned at him. “Shut up, Sehun.”

“What? Are you trying to avoid someone?”

The young woman didn’t want to say yes, but she didn’t have a chance to even come up with an excuse because Zitao came skipping up to them.

“Hi, guys!” she said, accent still present, though barely there.

Jongin tried not to glare holes into her as she stood there. Sehun patted Zitao on the head.

“Hi, Tao.”

“Have you seen Professor Park? He’s soooooo hot.”

The tan young woman rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. She refused to look at Zitao. She wasn’t allowed to press up on her boyfriend like that, even if no one knew he was her boyfriend. Chanyeol was still hers.

Jongin took a moment to observe Zitao. They both had tan skin, though different bases and shades, but overall classified as tan. Zitao was taller than Jongin and had long dyed red hair that she usually kept up in a ponytail. Jongin was proud though, she could tell Zitao’s s were smaller than hers. She was pretty sure her was bigger than the Chinese girl’s too, but Chanyeol was a lover and she needed better s to win. Jongin even pushed her chest forward slightly in pride at the realization.

“Who’s Professor Park?” Sehun asked, looking at Jongin with a questioning expression.

“The new literature professor. He just started this semester. He’s so hot, Sehunnie. You have to see him,” Zitao continued.

Sehun shrugged. “I believe you.”

“Is there a rule about that?”

“About what?” Jongin asked.

“About relations with teachers,” Zitao said with a cat like grin.

Jongin’s fingers curled into fists, anger surging through her. She blew air out of her nose to calm herself down before reaching into her pants pocket and pulling out her cellphone. She had forty minutes until class. That was enough time.

While Sehun was trying to explain to Zitao the rules between teacher and student relations, Jongin told them she was leaving and hurried off. She made her way to the building which housed faculty offices and, without needing to look at the directory, got into the elevator and clicked the third floor button. When the doors opened, she got out and walked straight to Park Chanyeol’s office, knocking before opening the door.

Chanyeol was sitting at his desk, a cup of noodles sitting in front of him. He was about to put some into his mouth, but he grinned at the sight of her.

“Jongin!”

Jongin shut the door and fixed a glare on her professor/boyfriend and he wilted a bit. He dropped the noodles back into the Styrofoam cup. She walked to his desk and put her hands on the edge, trying to look stern and not think about when they broke the desk in when Chanyeol had first moved into his office. Chanyeol looked at her curiously, eyes large in what seemed to be confusion.

“Do you think it’s funny to let other girls hang on you when I’m right there?” she demanded.

He blinked a few times before tilting his head. “What are you talking about?”

“In class! Huang Zitao! She practically had your arm between her s!”

Jongin tried not to get to loud, biting her lower lip after the outburst. Chanyeol stared at her, then laughed, eyes crinkling a little.

“Oh my god, baby, are you jealous?” he managed out through his chuckles.

Her tanned cheeks flushed. “N-No. Shut up.”

Chanyeol got up and came around the desk, reaching out to wrap a strand of Jongin’s dark brown hair around his finger. He brought it up to his lips and kissed it.

“Baby, you know I love you.”

“Stop calling me ‘baby,’ I swear to god, Chanyeol.”

He let her hair drop and put his arms around her. “Would a kiss make it better?”

Her cheeks were still aflame and she looked away from him before nodding gently. Chanyeol leaned in and captured her lips, pulling her closer to him. Jongin couldn’t resist his kisses and smiled into it, reaching up to wrap her arms around his neck. They pulled away a moment later and Jongin bit her lower lip, trying not to look too happy. Chanyeol just chuckled.

“Better?”

“Just…try not to let girls get up on you, alright?”

Chanyeol nodded as he the small of her back. “As you wish, my love. I’ll do all I can to avoid women.”

The door was knocked on and Chanyeol practically flew backwards, colliding into a file cabinet. The door swung open to reveal another colleague of Chanyeol’s and Jongin nervously excused herself as Chanyeol returned to his desk to eat his lunch. That had been a close one.

 

Jongin and Chanyeol had met the previous year, when Chanyeol was still a grad student at the university. He was the TA for Jongin’s literature class her first semester in college. Chanyeol was just as handsome then as he was now and Jongin had spent half of her class time staring at him. Apparently he had noticed, because he drew little smiley faces on her assignments that he graded and Jongin cherished every single one. Finally, she got one that had his number on it and the request to call him. Jongin had done so and the two had started dating after their second date.

What Jongin hadn’t planned for was the fact that Chanyeol would become a professor at the university after graduating. When they had started dating, Chanyeol had talked about getting his teaching credential while finishing up his masters in English Literature. He was going to look for another university to teach at and if it didn’t work out, maybe work at a high school. He’d taught one course in his last semester and apparently had done so well, the university offered him a job immediately since there was an opening in the department.

While Jongin was happy for him, she was frustrated that he had gotten a job at the same university she was attending. There was a policy about students dating their professors and that meant they had to break up or keep it a secret. Keeping it a secret meant that Jongin couldn’t do anything about the students who hit on her boyfriend. And Jongin wasn’t exactly the calmest girl when it came to feeling threatened by another woman.

 

Jongin sighed softly as she walked out of her final class for the day. She was still mad about Zitao and wondered why her jealousy was so extreme. As she waited to meet up with Sehun and Zitao, her phone rang. It was Chanyeol, his name displayed clearly on the screen with a heart beside it.

“Hello?” she answered, waving as she saw Sehun and Zitao coming out of class together.

“Hi,” came Chanyeol’s voice, “Do you want to come over tonight?”

Sehun and Zitao came to join her. They began to walk as she responded.

“Oh, you’re going to have time for me tonight?”

“Baby, don’t be like that. I always have time for you. We can watch a movie and have dinner. You can even bring the puppies over.”

Zitao and Sehun were both eagerly watching her, intrigued by her phone conversation and Jongin tried to hide her blush as she turned away from them.

“D-Don’t sweet talk me.”

“Isn’t that my job?” Chanyeol said cheekily.

Jongin didn’t say anything, still walking toward the parking lot and hiding her face from her friends who trailed behind her.

“Is that a yes?” Chanyeol said since she didn’t respond. “I’ll see you at seven?”

“Okay,” she said in defeat.

“Bye, baby~”

Jongin hung up and looked back at her friends. Her cheeks were still flushed a little. She couldn’t handle Chanyeol up to her.

“Who was that?” Sehun said teasingly, “Your secret boyfriend you won’t tell me about?”

“Jongin has a secret boyfriend?” Zitao chimed.

Jongin unlocked her car. “Yes, it was my boyfriend. No, I still won’t tell you about him. Drop it.”

Sehun pouted. “You’re no fun, Nini.”

“It’s just…not the right time.”

Sehun shrugged and climbed into Jongin’s car. Jongin got in and started the engine, but Zitao remained outside. Sehun rolled down the window and looked at her.

“Are you not getting in?”

“Oh, no. I just wanted to say goodbye. My boyfriend is coming to get me.”

“Oh…damn, I’m the only one who’s single.”

Jongin waved goodbye to Zitao and pulled out of the parking spot as the other girl headed back towards campus. As she drove, she wondered why if Zitao had a boyfriend, she would hit on Chanyeol the way she did. It annoyed her to no end.

“So, why won’t you talk to me about your boyfriend?”

“Oh my god, Sehun. Why do you want to talk about my boyfriend so much?”

Sehun pouted at her. “I need to know who my best friend is dating. I’m concerned.”

Jongin sighed. At a stoplight, she opened her phone and showed Sehun a picture of her and Chanyeol together.

“That’s him.”

The younger boy held the phone as he examined the picture. “He seems attractive. Tall too. Is he taller than me?”

“Yes.”

“How old is he?”

Jongin bit her lip as she drove. “He’s…twenty-five.”

Sehun gaped at her in surprise. “Twenty-five? What?”

Jongin pulled up to Sehun’s house. “Yeah. He’s older. We like each other.”

The younger boy offered her phone back and gathered up his things. “Be careful.”

He got out of the car and went into his house. Jongin stared at the door before she drove away. She knew Sehun would judge her. Sure, her nineteen compared to Chanyeol’s twenty-five was a little odd, but they loved each other.

Jongin drove to her home and went inside. No one was home as usual and she gathered up her things she’d need, including her three toy poodles, who were of varying sizes. She put a leash on each and led them out to the car. Once they were safely in the back and she had her schoolwork and a bag of necessary clothing, she drove over to Chanyeol’s apartment. She went up the stairs and knocked on his door.

The door swung open, revealing Chanyeol in a hoodie and sweatpants, glasses on his face, the complete opposite of the professional look of Professor Park, who wore dress shirts and slacks and styled his hair. Chanyeol looked like he’d just rolled out of bed and put on his glasses.

“Hey! Come in,” he said, stepping aside.

Jongin stepped in and released the puppies as she removed her shoes. The three dogs ran around Chanyeol’s legs happily, trapping him in his spot. Jongin giggled as the dogs jumped and yipped playfully at her boyfriend, who reached down to rub their heads. She shooed the dogs away and stepped close to him. Chanyeol put his arms around her and pulled her closer by her waist.

“Hi, baby,” he greeted, giving her a kiss.

Jongin hummed happily as she returned the kiss, putting her arms around his neck. He picked her up slightly, her toes dangling just above the carpet. When they pulled back, she giggled and pressed her face into his shoulder.

“Put me down, you jerk,” she teased.

Chanyeol put her down and smiled at her. “See? I’m a good boyfriend. Are you still mad at me?”

Jongin blushed, looking to the side to hide her face. Her dark brown hair fell over her face a bit, but Chanyeol reached out and gingerly pushed it behind her ear. His hand gently cupped her cheek.

“Are you still mad at me?” he asked again.

“No…I’m not mad at you.”

Chanyeol pulled her into another tight hug. “Good. I made your favorite just in case though.”

Jongin laughed, hitting Chanyeol in the side lightly. She held him tight just as he did to her. Sure, they’d only been dating a little over a year, but Jongin loved him.

Chanyeol let go of her and sneezed. He rubbed his nose gently. “I need to go take an allergy pill. Just give me a sec, okay?”

Jongin nodded and went to get comfortable, while Chanyeol disappeared into his bathroom. The puppies had made themselves comfortable on the couch in the small living room and Jongin laughed, plopping down between them. She opened up her backpack and pulled out an assignment.

“How many classes do you have tomorrow?” Chanyeol asked as he came in, carrying a glass of water with him.

“Just one in the morning,” she said without looking up.

Chanyeol picked up Jjangu, the fattest of the poodles, and moved him aside so he could sit down. As soon as Chanyeol was settled, Jjangu climbed into his lap and made himself comfortable. He chuckled, rubbing the poodle’s head gently as he looked over Jongin’s shoulder.

“The answer to that is 482.”

Jongin put her paper down and looked at him. “I can do my own homework, thank you.”

Chanyeol pouted cutely. “Just trying to help so I can have more ‘us’ time.”

She chuckled softly and went back to her work. Chanyeol leaned against the back of the couch, scratching Jjangu’s neck quietly.

“Do you mind if I turn on the TV?”

“Go ahead.”

Chanyeol switched it on then as Jongin continued to work. After a while, his phone rang and Jongin looked up at him. He gave her an apologetic smile and swiped to answer, moving the dog aside to leave the room. Jongin tried to focus on her work, but her ears were focused on Chanyeol’s phone conversation.

“Oh, yeah, I’ve been good. Have you been doing well since graduation?” his voice carried, “Oh, really? That’s great. Good to hear.”

Jongin ignored it, writing down another formula.

“A blind date? For me? Nah, I’ll pass…oh, well, um…I am kind of…seeing someone,” Chanyeol’s voice came again.

Jongin froze in her spot, turning to look over her shoulder towards the small doorway to the kitchen. Chanyeol was leaning against his counter, only half visible.

“Sure, I’ll give you a call if it doesn’t work out…Right. Yeah. Talk to you later, Baekhyun.”

Jongin’s cheeks flushed. She knew Baekhyun. She’d been one of Chanyeol’s classmates and good friends. Baekhyun had also felt affection for Chanyeol and she and Jongin had been at odds with one another. It had been a while since they’d seen one another. Chanyeol didn’t exactly talk about Baekhyun around her.

Her fingers tightened around her pencil and she bit her lip. Her jealousy was back in full force and she hated it. It’s not like Chanyeol was hiding Baekhyun from her.

“Do you feel like eating now?” he called.

“Yeah. That’s fine.”

Chanyeol came out with the food a few minutes later, plates piled high with steaming pieces of fried chicken and green beans. Jongin looked up at him and she smiled, taking in his still rumpled appearance. She accepted the plate and put it down.

“Who was that?” she asked.

“My friend, Baekhyun,” he said, “Bothering me about blind dates or something.”

“Oh…she doesn’t know we’re dating?”

Chanyeol looked at her nervously from his position at the small table. He picked some green beans up with his fork.

“If it’s supposed to be a secret…I can’t exactly go around telling everyone about us. Baekhyun isn’t exactly good at keeping secrets…” he said, “It’s not like I want to hide our relationship.”

Jongin took a bite of chicken and nodded quietly. She then leaned over into him and he braced himself with a hand.

“I love you,” she said quietly.

Chanyeol chuckled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. “I love you too, Jongin.”

“I’m sorry that this is so difficult.”

He laughed again. “It’s my fault for taking the job. Don’t worry, okay? Just one and half more years and it won’t be a secret anymore.”

“Or after this semester ends, and then I’ll avoid being your student ever again.”

“Good, because it’s really hard for me not to draw little hearts all around your name when I grade your papers,” he teased.

Jongin laughed and kissed him softly. Chanyeol returned the kiss, then pulled away so he could keep eating. Jongin went back to eating, humming over the flavor of her food, thankful she had a boyfriend who could cook.

 

After they’d finished dinner and Jongin had managed to finish at least one assignment, they watched a movie together. Jongin sat sideways on the couch, halfway in Chanyeol’s lap, legs covering the rest of the couch. He held her around the waist and she lay her head against his shoulder. About half way through, Jongin had dozed off against him, relaxed. When the movie was finished, Chanyeol jostled her lightly.

“Go get in bed while I take the dogs out to the bathroom.”

Jongin rubbed at her eye, a sleepy yawn falling from . She got up and stumbled into the bedroom, dragging her bag behind her. As she changed, she listened to the door of the apartment open and close, the sounds of her dogs’ tags jingling against their collars. She changed into a pair of light blue short shorts and an oversized t-shirt which said “Dope” on it, which she had stolen from Chanyeol. She dropped herself onto the bed and relaxed, closing her eyes once more.

She dozed off for a few minutes, because she was awoken by the feel of Chanyeol’s hand on the small of her back. She stirred and turned to blearily look at him. He just smiled at her, pulling back the covers for her to climb under. Jongin slipped under the burgundy blanket while Chanyeol began to undress. He sidled up to her a moment later and Jongin immediately snuggled, throwing an arm and leg across Chanyeol’s almost body. She cushioned her head on his chest. Chanyeol was quiet, wrapped an arm around her, and let his fingers run through her hair.

“I love you,” he whispered softly, “Good night.”

“Night,” Jongin managed out through her sleepy haze.

 

The next morning, Jongin awoke before Chanyeol. She sat up, rubbed at her eyes, and then looked at her still sleeping boyfriend. She felt bad that she’d fallen asleep so easily. She blamed it on the stress of being jealous. To wake herself up more, she stretched, pushing her hands up over her head and then leaning towards her toes. She was greeted with the sight of the three dogs all huddled up at the foot of the bed. She smiled happily, but looked back at Chanyeol. His nose looked slightly red.

Jongin climbed out of bed, urging the dogs to follow her. The three did and they went into the living room with her. After she set out their bowls of food, Jongin managed to find Chanyeol’s allergy medication in the bathroom and she started up the coffee pot to make him coffee. She hated the stuff, but Chanyeol loved it and so she’d mastered how to work the coffee pot (which was harder than expected). Once it was finished, she poured a cup and took it and the pills back into the bedroom. The clock beside the bed blinked eight AM at her. She had class in an hour and a half.

“Chanyeol,” she whispered, nudging him with her foot since her hands were full, “Wake up.”

Chanyeol rolled onto his side and opened one eye up, looking at her. “Hey…”

“Morning. I brought you coffee and some pills. Your nose doesn’t look too good.”

Chanyeol’s hand immediately flew up and covered his nose. He got embarrassed over his allergies, especially since Jongin loved her dogs more than anything in the world, except maybe him. Jongin had realized he was afraid of losing her because of his allergy. She figured she was more likely to lose him over it than her.

He sat up, leaning his back against the headboard, and held out his hand. Jongin gave him the pills and his coffee, which he took thankfully. He smiled at her afterwards.

“Getting ready to head off to class?”

“I need a shower. You can join me if you want,” she said teasingly, cocking her hip for emphasis.

Chanyeol just smiled, drinking his coffee.

Jongin headed into the bathroom and stripped , turning on the water. She checked to make sure her things were still in place in the shower, but luckily, Chanyeol hadn’t moved anything. She stepped in a moment later and let out a content sigh as the water fell over her. After standing under the spray for a few minutes, just soaking in the comforting feeling, she began to do what was needed for her to start the day.

Chanyeol stepped into the shower only a few seconds after she’d lathered up her body with soap. His large hands slid onto her hips, and Jongin felt her breath catch in as they began to travel upwards. He lightly squeezed her s, leaning his chin onto her shoulder.

“My favorites,” he said obnoxiously.

Jongin elbowed him some. “You better love me for more than my s.”

Chanyeol laughed, giving another light squeeze as he pressed a kiss to her cheek. He then let his hands fall away and reached for the soap so he could clean himself. Jongin stood under the spray and turned around to look at him.

“You are a guy, right?”

Chanyeol paused mid-scrubbing and blinked. “What do you mean?”

“You like s best.”

“Well, I am quite fond of s, but they’re not the most important thing ever.”

“So, if I didn’t have good s, you wouldn’t like me?”

Chanyeol shook his head. “What’s gotten into you lately? I’ve never seen you be so self-conscious. I love you for you, silly.”

Jongin let out a sigh of relief and she wondered why she’d even asked. She wasn’t insecure about the way she looked. She was just insecure about Chanyeol for some odd reason. She reached for the shampoo and opened it up, squeezing some onto her hand. She hoped Chanyeol wouldn’t inquire about why she was feeling bad. Just as she placed her hands in her hair, Chanyeol’s joined hers and he helped her work the soap into her hair. As his fingers worked against her scalp, she relaxed.

“Have you ever been cheated on?” she asked quietly.

“Yeah, once. Why do you ask?”

“I never have…Just curious.”

Chanyeol cupped her cheeks. “Are you sure you’re okay? You’ve been acting odd lately.”

Jongin wanted to tell Chanyeol about how insecure she was feeling, how nervous she was that he’d leave her, but was afraid. They were both adults. She’d seem like a child for having those thoughts and that was the last thing she wanted Chanyeol to think about her.

She managed a smile. “I’m fine. Just been feeling a little weird lately. Sorry to worry you.”

Chanyeol kissed her nose. “Okay. Tell me if anything is bothering you, though, okay?”

Jongin smiled at her boyfriend. Why was he so sweet? She kissed him and then tipped her head back to wash out the shampoo.

She finished washing, realizing she was spending too much time in the shower with Chanyeol and would be late to class. He switched off the water and climbed out with her once she was done.

“Would you mind if I left the puppies here? I can come back after class is over.”

“That’s fine. I have an event to do with one of the campus clubs today. You should stop by after class. We can play around a bit,” he said cheekily.

Jongin rolled her eyes, wondering if Chanyeol would ever not be playful. She doubted it though and just smiled.

“Which club?”

“The one I was a member of before I graduated. Now I’m one of the advisors.”

Jongin finished toweling herself off and leaned in to kiss him. “I didn’t know they were having an event.”

“It’s a fundraiser thing. You should stop by so I can see you.”

She laughed and gave him another kiss, then pulling her clothes on. Chanyeol stood there in a towel, watching her. She blushed at the realization, flicking her hair back over her shoulder.

“What?”

“I just think you’re beautiful.”

Jongin blushed a little more, rolling her eyes to hide it. She picked up her backpack. “I’ll see you later, Yeol.”

“Bye, baby. Have a good time.”

Jongin laughed and rushed out of the apartment, making sure she had everything she needed and bidding her puppies goodbye. She only had about twenty minutes to get to class.

 

After her class, Jongin dragged Sehun along to campus center to check out the club events. Sehun was not exactly excited, but agreed to go with her anyways.

“So, how are you and your older boyfriend?” he asked as they walked across campus.

“We’re good. Well…mostly.”

“What’s the problem? Maybe I can help.”

“Don’t laugh, okay?” she said, looking up at her best friend.

Sehun nodded in agreement and Jongin held her book closer to her chest.

“I’m kind of…insanely jealous when other girls are near him.”

“Oh god, you’re one of those girls?”

“Shut up! It’s not that I don’t trust him, but all these girls flirt with him and he just lets them. It really bothers me.”

“Have you told him that?” Sehun asked.

“N-No…I don’t want to sound immature,” Jongin said, looking away from him.

“I don’t think it’s immature. It sounds like it could be a possible concern. Does he flirt back?”

“Not that I’ve seen. It’s like he’s unaware.”

“He could be,” Sehun said with a shrug of his shoulders, “There are some people who can’t tell when others are flirting with them.”

“No way.”

“Way,” Sehun said a bit sadly, “The person I have a crush on is like that.”

“You like someone? Who is it? Tell me!” Jongin said as they got closer to campus center. “You can’t be mad at me for not telling you about my boyfriend now that I know this.”

“I-It’s not a big deal,” Sehun said, face flushing.

“Yes, it is! You never like anybody!”

The two walked into the courtyard of the student center. There was a large crowd gathered and Jongin was surprised at how many people were there. Maybe there was a lot going on or something. As they got closer, it grew louder and Jongin was surprised at how many girls had gathered. Chanyeol was a part of the videogame association or something similar. It wasn’t known for attracting girls.

“What the hell?” she said.

Sehun was taller than most of the crowd. “Looks like they’re doing a fundraising. Throwing water filled sponges at members of the club.”

“So, everyone really wants to throw sponges at nerds? Damn.”

As they waded forward through the crowd, Jongin came to understand what it was that had caused all the girls to gather. Chanyeol was in the area for the sponge throwing, wearing a white shirt that was already semi-wet and clinging to his frame. The longest line of the three men who were being pelted with sponges was Chanyeol’s. Tons of girls were lined up, all talking to one another and blushing as they got closer. Chanyeol cheerfully teased them from his spot, making the girls giggle and attempt a throw.

Jongin felt a fire in her belly. Her hands balled up into fists at her sides. Sehun seemed to pick up on her rigidness and touched her shoulder.

“Are you okay?”

“Fine…” she said, looking away quickly.

Sehun looked toward the front and his eyebrows raised. “Wait…isn’t that…?”

Zitao sprung on Sehun then, looping her arms around his shoulders. “You guys made it! Are you going to get in line for Professor Park?”

The tall boy looked even more confused. “Professor Park? That’s him? But…”

He looked at Jongin and Jongin kept her eyes averted. She flushed unwillingly.

“Oh,” Sehun said, mouth forming an “o” shape, “Ohhh.”

Zitao looked confused. She shrugged and dragged the two into the line in the spot she’d saved. Jongin crossed her arms over her chest, unable to look at Sehun. This had to be the worst way for him to find out that her boyfriend was a professor.

Jongin wasn’t even really that upset over Sehun finding out though. She was more upset over the amount of girls around her. She could hear them all talking, discussing how attractive and friendly he was. Even sharing some details of what they’d do to him if possible. Jongin’s heart was pounding and her stomach hurt. She felt sick from the amount of jealousy she was experiencing. As they got closer to Chanyeol, she only got more upset.

Once they got to the front, Zitao waved happily at Chanyeol. He grinned, though his eyes were focused on Jongin. Jongin looked away, feeling frustrated. She was trying not to cry and Sehun reached up to pat her back lightly. Zitao threw a sponge towards Chanyeol, who didn’t bother to dodge because he was focused on his girlfriend.

“Your turn, Jongin,” the Chinese girl said then.

Jongin looked up at her and then at the sponge. She then looked at Chanyeol, who looked concerned. She shook her head.

“No thanks.”

She walked away quickly, Sehun tagging along.

“Jongin!” Chanyeol yelled after her.

Jongin broke into a run, Sehun barely able to keep up, unwilling to look back.

 

Jongin didn’t mean to cry as hard as she did, but she couldn’t help it. She curled up in her front seat and started sobbing. Sehun sat awkwardly beside her, patting her shoulder.

“Hey…it’s okay,” he said as confidently as he could muster.

He wasn’t even really sure what was wrong.

“I won’t tell anyone about him, okay? I promise I won’t get you guys in trouble.”

Jongin sniffled, trying to calm herself down. She clasped her hands over , catching her breath.

“T-Thanks, but that’s n-not it.”

“What is it then?”

“What we were talking about…” she managed out after catching her breath.

Jongin wiped at her eyes and nose with a sleeve, feeling embarrassed for how she looked. Sehun tipped his head back in thought.

“Wait…about the jealousy thing? You were jealous about that?”

Jongin nodded. “I’m stupid, right?”

“Just a bit.”

“Sehun!”

She swatted at him and Sehun whined, leaning away from her.

“Hey! It’s not my fault you’re weirdly jealous over something like that! So, he’s popular, so what?”

Jongin shook her head. “I don’t know! I don’t know why I’m jealous. I don’t know why I’m this upset. I just don’t know!”

She wanted to scream. She started crying again in frustration and Sehun sighed softly, reaching out to rub her shoulder. Her phone buzzed beside her, text messages from Chanyeol. She could only imagine how he was feeling at that moment, probably thinking he’d done something wrong. She covered her face with her arms.

Sehun left her alone after a while, mentioning he had class. Jongin managed to calm down again and drove back to Chanyeol’s apartment. She let herself in, smiling as her puppies greeted her excitedly. Jongin could only imagine she wouldn’t feel so good when Chanyeol got back. She settled on the couch, her dogs piling up around her and making her feel safe. She wasn’t ready for whatever was going to happen. She hadn’t responded to Chanyeol’s texts at all.

 

Jongin hadn’t realized she’d fallen asleep until she heard the apartment door open and close. She jolted up, startled awake, her dog sliding down her lap a bit from the movement. Blinking, she looked around, before realizing Chanyeol was standing in the doorway. His hair was still wet, a towel around his neck, but he’d changed into some different clothes. Jongin immediately felt ashamed and looked away from him.

“I thought you might be mad at me…but you’re here,” Chanyeol said, walking into the room.

Jongin didn’t look up and so Chanyeol planted himself on the couch, moving Monggu out of the way so he could sit.

“Jongin…What’s going on?” he asked.

“N-Nothing…” she said.

“It’s not nothing,” Chanyeol said angrily, near yelling.

Jongin cowered. Chanyeol didn’t often get angry and Jongin had only seen him like that once, but it intimidated her. She didn’t want to be on the receiving end and usually Chanyeol was good about being firm, but still kind with her, even when frustrated.

She looked up at him, eyes watering some. “I’m jealous, okay?”

The professor looked confused, but he reached out and wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. “Don’t cry, Jongin. I’m sorry I yelled.”

She nodded softly, pressing her cheek into his palm. His hand was warm and it made her feel comforted.

“What are you jealous about?”

“All those girls…”

Chanyeol tilted his head. He decided to let Jongin finish, instead of asking her a thousand questions.

“I didn’t want you to think I’m childish, but…” Jongin sniffled, her nose still a bit clogged from her crying, “I’m jealous of all the girls around you. I can’t stand it. I get so upset when I see all those girls surrounding you and flirting with you.”

“So, you were jealous when you came to talk to me about Huang Zitao?”

“Yes! You couldn’t figure that out?!”

“You said you weren’t jealous!” he argued back.

Jongin threw her arms up in annoyance, the only way to express her frustration. Chanyeol sighed.

“Okay, so you’re jealous. Over every girl that comes near me?”

Jongin nodded, face flushing and she lowered it in shame. She closed her eyes, feeling a tear fall just as she did so. She was waiting for Chanyeol to say they should break up, that she was crazy.

“Why? Why are you jealous when they’re just around me? I understand the flirting thing kind of, but just having them around me…”

“I don’t know…Because I’m stupid? Because I love you so much, I don’t want you to look at anyone else?”

Chanyeol tipped her head up by the chin and she opened her eyes again.

“Is this because we have to be a secret? Is that why you’re scared?”

Jongin blinked. She was confused at why Chanyeol was trying to understand her. Wouldn’t it just be easier to break up?

“Do you think I’m going to cheat on you because all those girls flirt with me? Do you think I don’t think you’re pretty? Is that why you asked me about the thing?” he said, voice speeding up as worry became evident in his voice.

Jongin quickly shook her head. “Chanyeol, stop.”

He shut his mouth and waited patiently. Jongin smiled a little bit and hugged him tightly.

“Chanyeol, why are you even bothering?”

“Because I want to know what I should do to make this better,” he said matter-of-factly.

She buried her face in his neck. “Why are you like this? It’s my problem.”

“Yeah, but I want you to feel comfortable and if I can help with that, I’m going to. I want to understand.”

“I guess…it is because we’re a secret. I get so upset that I can’t tell girls to back off because I can’t say I’m your girlfriend.”

“I can only imagine that is frustrating.”

“And girls just flirt with you shamelessly! I mean, I was standing in that line, and those girls just kept talking about how hot you were and how they would sleep with you if they had the chance. And I can’t say a word! I guess I just get in my head and start thinking, what if you do hook up with one of them? What could I do?”

“You think I’m going to cheat on you?”

“No!” she said, pulling away from him immediately, “I don’t think that, but the possibility of it is terrifying. Like, what if you meet someone better than me? What if I’m not what you want like you thought?”

Chanyeol sighed softly and reached out to hold Jongin’s hand. He looked her in the eyes.

“I admit, I’m kind of hurt you think I’d cheat on you, ever. But I guess I can understand the fear. Some people are always afraid they’ll be cheated on, even when there’s no reason to. Are you afraid you’re not good enough for me or something? Because I think I’m the lucky one. I got you.”

She looked up at him and Chanyeol smiled.

“I don’t know why you’re scared, Jongin, because I love you more than the number of stars in the sky. I think you’re the most beautiful girl in the world. I love your laugh, the smile you get on your face when you see dogs, the way your feet turn inward, your tan skin, and everything else about you. I love you so much. You’re funny and cute and I think I’m lucky that you’d ever look at me, this big, goofy nerdy guy. I don’t have eyes for any other girl. No one is up to par compared to you. You’re everything I want and more.”

Jongin was surprised by Chanyeol’s confession. Sure, he lavished her with affection and compliments, but he’d never been so honest, so blunt about his thoughts on her. Jongin was self-conscious of her pigeon toes and her tan skin deep down, though the extent of how much it bothered her was far less than when she was younger. But for Chanyeol to pick out those features as some of his favorites warmed her heart.

“I don’t know how else to assure you that I don’t care about any other girls but you, but I’ll try to find a way. I adore you, Jongin. I love you so much, sometimes I just want to scream it at the top of my lungs. When other girls flirt with me, I don’t even let it phase me. I just think of you. I’m sure that sounds really stupid, but you’re really the only girl I ever think of. I don’t even e to girl idols I really like anymore, because you’re all I need.”

Jongin burst out laughing, shoving Chanyeol’s shoulder. Chanyeol managed to smile.

“So, you still e, huh?” she managed out.

“I am a man,” he said, puffing his chest out playfully.

She laughed again. “You’re silly…”

She reached out and patted his face, making him smile.

“Well, lucky for you, I like big, goofy nerdy guys. They’re just my type. Especially ones with big ears.”

She winked playfully and Chanyeol laughed, pulling her to his chest in a hug. She put her arms around his torso, leaning her head on his shoulder.

“I’m really lucky I have you…”

“If it makes you feel better, I won’t do that sort of event again. I’ll collect the money instead,” Chanyeol said.

Jongin laughed. “I’m sorry. I sound so childish.”

“Hey, you were mature enough to talk to me about it. It took a little prying, but we turned out okay.”

“I’m really sorry.”

Chanyeol kissed her forehead, looping her hair around his fingers. “I love you, Jongin. Don’t apologize. Next time, let’s talk about it immediately, okay? You can be honest with me.”

“You too. I promise.”

Chanyeol nodded, then clicked his teeth. “I’m insecure that your best friend is a boy.”

She started laughing. “Don’t even worry about it. I’m like ninety percent sure Sehun is gay. I don’t have any feelings for him. I only have eyes for you.”

“And I for you,” Chanyeol said with a glint in his eyes, leaning in to kiss her.

Jongin wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back. Chanyeol tilted his head to the side, allowing the kiss to have a better angle. They kissed happily for a few moments before Jjangu nuzzled his way in between them. They broke apart and Jongin laughed.

“He must be hungry,” she teased.

“Let’s feed them. Then you and I can go get dinner.”

“Sounds good.”

Chanyeol got up. “Let me go change into some better clothes and dry my hair.”

Jongin nodded, getting up. She gave Chanyeol one last kiss before skipping off to feed her dogs. Chanyeol smiled. He knew that he and Jongin still had a while to go before their relationship could possibly count as perfect, but he was willing to stick it out.

He got up and headed into the bedroom, finding some nicer clothes to put on. He opened the drawer to get out a pair of socks and his eyes fell upon the small velvet box hidden in the corner. He smiled. He was waiting for the perfect day to present the box to his girlfriend. They just needed a little more time, but Chanyeol knew that the day would come soon, and he wouldn’t have to worry about the rule about professors dating their students anymore.

He joined Jongin back in the living room a few minutes later and she smiled at him happily. She looked radiant and Chanyeol never felt more in love. He hoped Jongin would realize that soon. She hugged him tightly a moment later.

“I love you so much, Chanyeol.”

“I love you too, sweetheart.”

“Thank you for understanding me.”

“Hey, I’m willing to work with you until you feel completely comfortable. I can’t avoid women entirely, but I hope you’ll eventually realize I don’t need to at all.”

She laughed and took hold of his hand, heading for the door. The two left the apartment and headed down the stairs. Jongin swung their hands back and forth lightly with a grin.

“Hey,” Chanyeol said.

“Yeah?”

“I really like your nails.”

Jongin giggled. “You’re the best, Chanyeol.”