002. END

Behind the Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“2013's rising rookies, Bangtan Sonyeondan! 7 members gracing the stage, the number of perfection, entering the industry with a bang! With their fresh and strong concept as a hip hop group, they are slowly on the rise and their increasing popularity proves it!”

 

“Jaerim-ah, enough watching television, dear, you need to study!” her mother called out from the kitchen.

 

“Alright alright, I was just taking a break!” Jaerim replied and stood up to get the control, not seeing the familiar face that flashed on the screen for a moment as the television showed close ups of seven boys at a press conference.

 

She shut off the television and went back to her room to carry on studying. Senior high school problems.

 

The meeting with the mysterious boy that had left her without a necklace now that took place 3 years ago still lingered on her mind sometimes, but as time passed, it slowly shifted towards the back of her mind as more things occupied her thoughts. Stuff like surviving high school, sitting for her college entrance exams, getting into a college, basically.. surviving the life of an 18 year old.

 

“I can do this. Yeah.” Jaerim muttered to herself with a determined frown and sat on her chair, burying herself with her books again.

 

The last time she visited the antique shop was 2 months ago, and the previous time she did before that last time was a month before that. The one thing Jaerim didn't fancy about society was the lack in originality. You can have a complete different thinking, an idea so big, society pegs it as crazy because it didn't have the capability to handle it. It's different, but because it's so different, society decides to mould you and swallow you, making you fade away and blend into it, bringing along your ideas to the drain.

 

She didn't like it, but she had no choice. No more time for hobbies, no more time for strolls around town, just study, study, study. for her because if she put her mind to do something, she could do it, but that also meant that her parents knew that if she put in effort, her results could sky rocket. Which parent wouldn't want their children to succeed in life? Just so happens that 'succeeding in life' often meant getting good grades in society.

 

 

The next time Jaerim did turn on the television was after her exams. When freedom embraced her, she embraced it back with wide opened arms, even if it was a short lived embrace. She was sitting on the floor, at the low table with her parents and younger brother, eating up a feast while watching the news, much to her brother's protests because he wanted to catch a movie but their parents wanted the news.

 

They were halfway through the meal when the entertainment section came up. Jaerim paid half her attention to the television because the food was delicious and she wanted to savour every mouthful of it.

 

“Another group? Are you serious?” her brother, Jaewoo complained. “-the mainstream music industry is really producing too many groups a year. I can't find the talented ones properly. They're all either too pretty and nothing special, or talented but under some dumb company that doesn't know how to promote them well.”

 

Jaerim laughed at her brother. “You speak as if you're a talent-scout. Get your brain into your books first before you talk.”

 

She popped in a mouthful of rice and fixed her eyes onto the television. The newscaster was talking about an uprising rookie group and she couldn't help but remember hearing that same phrase the last time she watched the news. Slightly interested, Jaerim put her spoon down and watched as she chewed on her food.

 

The screen switched from the newscaster's face to show a crowd of what Jaerim thought were fans.

 

“Ah isn't that what they call it.. uhh.. fan-sign?” Jaewoo said.

 

“I think so.” Jaerim nodded and watched as the screen showed the members of the said rising rookie group. She was about to continue eating when she saw this particular boy. Her eyes went wide in surprise and Jaewoo noticed that.

 

“What's wrong with you, noona? Please don't tell me you fell in love with one of them already?”

 

“Ah shush!” Jaerim pushed him away and turned up the volume.

 

There was no mistake. It was the same guy that bumped into her back then. With the make up and styled hair along with the outfit he was wearing, she barely recognised him, but the shiny object, what would seem like the chain of a necklace caught her attention. At first, she thought she was just imagining things, but the more she stared at that boy, the hazy image of the boy in her mind started to match the two faces together.

 

“Noonaaaa what's wrong with you??” Jaewoo complained.

 

“I know that guy.” she pointed at the television. “-the tall one standing third from left.”

 

Jaewoo looked at the boy on screen. “Yeah right. They all look the same, how can you be sure?”

 

Their parents were just watching them bicker and laughed to themselves. It was too common for the two siblings to bicker so they didn't have to give any input to it.

 

Jaerim turned to her brother with a small frown. “His name is Jung.. Jung.. au.. why can't I rememb- AH. Jung Hoseok!”

 

“-pfft! At least come up with a more interesting name will you?” Jaewoo laughed.

 

“Go search it up on the internet then!” Jaerim said.

 

“Oh I will!” Jaewoo turned to the television just in time to catch the name of the group before the new station carried on to report another set of news.

 

The boy ran to his room and brought out his old laptop, placing it on the floor. He keyed in the name of the group in the search bar.


“Bang.. tan So..nyeon.. dan. Enter.” he clicked the search button.

 

The profile came up in a second and he skimmed through the names and read it out loud.

 

“-oldest member, Kim Seokjin. Rapper, Min Yoongi. Main dancer, Ju-....”

 

“What?” Jaerim asked when her brother didn't continue. She put down her chopsticks and went over. “-oh my goodness it's really him. Move!”

 

Jaerim shoved her brother to the side a little but he pushed back some space for himself to see what his sister was up to. Jaerim ran her fingers skilfully fast over the keyboard, typing Hoseok's name into the search bar and looking up his photos.

 

“What're you looking at?”

 

“He took my necklace. Okay, I gave it to him. If he's really the Hoseok I met, he should have a picture of him wearing it..”

 

Jaewoo looked at his sister for a while. “Oh yeah, now that you mentioned it. Didn't you always wear that necklace from the antique shop?”

 

Jaerim tore her eyes away from the computer screen. “It was from the antique shop?”

 

“The old man gave it to you for free! How can you forget it?”

 

“How can you remember it? It was so long ago!”

 

Jaewoo gave her an amusing smirk. “I have good memory.”

 

Jaerim shook her head while laughing at her brother. She continued her search and scrolled over the thousands of photos of Hoseok. “My goodness he just had his début why does he have so many photos of him already?”

 

Jaewoo laughed as he helped his sister observe the photos. “Noona, you know what this feels like?”

 

“What?”

 

“Two fangirls ogling over their oppa.”

 

Jaerim turned to him. “Wanna die?”

 

Jaewoo shook his head with a grin and turned back to the computer. “OH! That one!” he shouted.

 

The girl clicked on the photo her brother pointed out. It was a group photo but when she zoomed in towards the neck area of the boy in the photo, there it was. The necklace with that oh so familiar pendant.

 

“-isn't that the one?” Jaewoo asked. His sister smiled.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter