001. Necklace

Behind the Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's sunny today with clouds floating around the sky and a small breeze. It was the kind of weather where walking around won't be a bother because no sweat will come.

 

Jaerim decided to stop studying and take a stroll around town. She pulled out the pen she had in her hair that had been holding up her long locks into a bun. Her smooth hair slid down her shoulders and she ran a hand over her hair to loosen the tangles.

 

The girl changed into a nice comfortable floral dress and headed out.

 

The place Jaerim lived in was a small part of Korea that resembled an English town. Everyone was of pure Korean descent, but the small town was built in such a way. There weren't many cars as everything could be reached with a little more walking. She took in a breath of the fresh air and smiled. A necklace hung around her neck, sometimes hiding, something showing itself behind the neckline of the floral dress.

 

Jaerim enjoyed her stroll around the town, taking in the smell of the new batch of fresh bread that just came out of the oven in the bakery meant for the customers that would come in during the second half of the day. She went into the florist's to look around at the flowers, imagining the combinations of flowers that went well with each other but not saying anything about it.

 

As per tradition, (her own tradition) she entered the antique shop. There were close to a thousand and one things in the large shop at the corner of the row of shops, there was bound to be a new treasure to be discovered by Jaerim each time she entered. Sometimes if she could afford it and if she could put it to use, she'd buy it. Other times, she'd just learn its history and hope that it goes into good hands should anyone find interest in it.

 

She spent an hour in the store before she found a unique shaped pocket watch and spent another hour listening to its story from the owner of the shop. He handed her a very thick book, holding the records and stories and other details of all the items in the shop. She flipped the yellowed pages carefully and found the page that had a faded pen sketch of the watch and brought the book to a corner to read about it.

 

After she was done reading, she thanked the store owner and went out. As she walked towards the direction of the café to get a hot cup of tea before heading home, she looked to the side across the tiled road at the bookshop right opposite the antique shop. It was always never a good idea to continue walking without looking in front. Jaerim collided with someone. (who should have been doing the same thing as her because he too did not dodge her)

 

The boy had been holding a small stack of clipped papers. When they collided, the stacks of papers sprawled all over the floor.

 

“OH I'M SO SORRY!!” Jaerim exclaimed when she recovered from the shock. She squatted down and helped the boy gather all the papers. By accident, she saw what they were.

 

Test papers.

 

And the results displayed on it weren't too fascinating.

 

“-uhh this-” Jaerim handed it back to the boy. When he saw which stack of papers she had in hand, he snatched it away from her a little too abruptly. Jaerim jolted a little at his harsh actions.

 

“S-sorry..” the boy apologised under his breath.

 

“I guess.. it's okay.” Jaerim managed a smile and stood up. The boy stood up as well and she was slightly shocked at his height. He towered over her by a little more than a head. He had a sharp nose and a bright complexion that could break out into a smile any time he wanted.

 

“T-thank you for the help.” he awkwardly said and scratched the back of his head.

 

“It's fine. I'll be going off then.” Jaerim bowed a little with a smile. With that small gesture, the necklace around her neck dangled out of her dress and reflected the sunlight a little, catching the boy's attention.

 

He widened his eyes and grabbed Jaerim's shoulders while managing to hold on to his papers with one hand. “Jaera-yah?!”

 

Jaerim was shocked out of her wits and could only stare at the boy with wide eyes, unable to utter a single word. The boy who was around her own age had a firm grip on her shoulders, as if she'd run away or evaporate if he let go.

 

“-Jaera-yah? Wait- no, how did you get that necklace?!” he frantically asked.

 

Jaerim's heart sped up not because of the boy's touch but because he seemed so desperate and she was very much confused.

 

“I.. I don't know.. I just..” Jaerim stuttered.

 

The boy realised what he was doing and hurriedly let go of her. “S..S..Sorry.. I.. thought you..” he frowned and shook his head. “-it's impossible.. but..”

 

Jaerim slowly gathered her breath again and studied the boy. “Are you.. okay?” she started off with the easiest question.

 

The boy couldn't take his eyes off her necklace. Jaerim figured the only way to distract him was to get the necklace out of his sight. She ran her fingers over the surface of the pendant and it did the trick to pull his eyes to hers.

 

“Are you okay?” she repeated.

 

The boy took a breath before releasing it. “Where did you get that necklace from?”

 

Jaerim lifted her finger over the pendant. “This?” she asked and he nodded but this time, his eyes weren't fixated on the pendant but it shifted from the pendant to her eyes.

 

“-I don't really remember, but I think I've been having it for some time already.. maybe.. from middle school..?” Jaerim asked. “-I don't know if it was a gift or if I bought it though..”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter