Chapter 6

My Iron Cage, Your Wretched Shackles

 

MinJee P.O.V:

*4 years ago*

I tapped my pencil nervously as I sat in a single desk in the middle of one of the exam rooms. The teacher had not even passed out the entrance exams for Seijou Middle School, but I was close to freaking out. I then stopped my nervous fidgeting and started telling myself to calm down.

“Tu peux le faire!” I encouraged to myself. I smiled to myself as I felt better of myself.

“Did you hear that?”

“Oh is she a foreigner?”

“No I think she’s a half, look at her appearance”

“Haha really? Then we won’t need to worry about her getting in,”

“Haha you are so mean, she has a chance,”

“Sureee”

I breathed in and out as I ignored the voices. Getting angry about something like that is not my first priority.

“Is this seat taken?” I looked up to see a pretty girl with straight black hair and eyes that were big and round. She was pointing at the desk next to me.

“Ah no,” I said to her with a smile. She nodded and sat down. I watched her put her things away and take out a pencil and an eraser. She seemed like a quiet girl. Actually she seemed really boring.

“I wonder why you keep staring at me,” the girl said as she placed her bag under her chair. “Though, I’m used to it by now,”

I didn’t realize she noticed. I clucked my tongue in disappointment and looked back at the board.

“Lady Jiwon! Good Luck,” I looked up to see a guy that looked a couple of years older than the rest of the students here. He looked more of a servant.

The girl next to me frowned and hissed go away to him. The servant merely laughed and waved two orange flags that said go milady. I struggled to restrain a laugh. The girl next to me raised an eyebrow before giving me a playful smirk.

*****

I remember running towards the test center a month later. It was cold and winter, but they were going to put out the names of who were accepted to Seijou Middle School. I had already been rejected to the elementary school. Although it’s required that you must take a test, in reality the school board only looked at your family history, branch, resume, and other things. It was no surprise I was rejected.

I desired to get into this school so badly. Apparently, my mother had gone to the elementary, middle school and the high school of the elite Seijou education system. This was the only way to prove to the elders that I was a worthy member of the Han family.

I stood there like the many other students in front of a giant bulletin board that had listed all the names of those that were accepted into the school. I looked for my name. Anywhere, please, be there. I didn’t care if I might be last place. I just wanted to dearly get in!

After thoroughly searching, my name was not there. I bit my lower lip and I realized I was trembling. I quickly turned around to go back, but bumped into a couple of people in the process.

“Ah isn’t it that half?”

I looked up to see the other students before here. They were wearing expensive fur coats and mufflers. They looked like kings and queens unlike me with my low grade tailored jacket. I may be part of the rich class but I was of course the lower members of that group.

“Did you get in Miss Half?” one of the girls asked in a snobbish tone. The other laughed. I clenched my fists, but I controlled my anger.

“Ah, you didn’t did you? Mei! I told you, didn’t i?” the girl called out to another who just huffed.

“It’s alright, you can always try out for the…high school, but if you didn’t get in by now, I highly doubt you will even get into the high school,” The girl smugly smiled.

Without myself knowing, I was about to throw a punch at her, but someone had stopped my hand. I looked to see it was that girl who sat next to me in the testing center. She gripped my wrist tightly before letting go. Her eyes flashed, warning me not to. She then turned to the other girls and scoffed at them.

“For someone who ranked the very last of all the accepted students, I don’t think you have any right to judge this girl. Besides, not all of you got in. It’s kind of pitiful to see you try to regain your never existed status by tormenting others, but I guess this is what people like you do,” the girl’s tone was filled with confidence as she confronted the girls. She shot a cocky smirk at them.

‘Holy….is she trying to pick a fight?’

The little group though quickly dispersed in anger and aggravation. My eyes widened, I didn’t understand why the group had left.  

“Thank you,” I said to the girl earnestly. She turned around to see me. Her straight black hair glistened against the white background. She was really pretty. This was the type Seijou was looking for. My eyes saw on the coat pocket was a golden emblem that represented one of the highest members of the rich class. I just gaped at her after a while, and the girl laughed softly.

“You can always try out for the high school branch. Therefore, I suggest that you don’t give up yet because we need people like you. None of these rich brats are suitable enough to be leaders.

Besides…” The girl carefully analyzed me. Looking down, I unconsciously tried to cover my cheap looking jacket. However, I then noticed, that she was looking not at my clothes but at my face.

“The world is looking for people who are willing to run out here in the cold passionately and work to their fullest. We need people with blue eyes that can be filled with infinite amount of wonders…just like the ocean,” the girl gave me a wry smile to me before leaving. She snapped her fingers and the servant from last time appeared.

“Lady Jiwon, please wait! Let me give you this coat, it’s winter and Master Sung will not be happy to see his daughter catch a cold,” the servant called after the girl named Jiwon who merely waved her hand.

I first thought she was waving away the servant, but she was waving bye to me. I waved a small bye at her as I saw her leave in a white limo.

I looked back at the bulletin board and searched for a name. My eyes then found it. Next to the number 1 I saw the name Sung Jiwon. I grinned slightly.

“Next time,” I promised to myself and walked back home.

*Now*

I stared at the girl now from four years ago. Most likely she had forgotten about me, but I was lucky enough to meet her in school. She has changed since then. Many avoid her because of her attitude towards others, and I’m sure she knows that people call her the Ice Princess. I would have thought she would be that girl everyone would surround in awe, but her arrogant comments made everyone go away. Even I ran away from her. I was scared of being made fun of if I had associated with her. I know I’m a terrible person, but I had finally got accepted to this high school and I didn’t want to ruin this experience. 

However, her sketch…of the class made me realize that although she came off a certain way, she cared for her classmates. I could sense that there was something more to all that arrogance, something under all that.

“You keep staring at me,” She commented. She had an eyebrow raised at me as her fingers stopped typing on her laptop.

“Ah…” was the only thing that came out of my mouth. I am such an idiot.

“I’m not interested in you that way,” She gave me a sly look with a smile on her lips. Her eyes twinkled with mischief.

“Ah!!! NO!!! That’s not at all how I thought of you!!!” I stood up to defend myself.

“SHHHHH” the whole library stared at me. The librarian gave me a glare.

*****

“I’m…sorry,” I apologized for the tenth time. We were both outside the library door because we got kicked out.

“UGH” I smushed my face with my hands into a weird shape. Jiwon laughed delicately.

“I suppose I have to say it’s okay, now,” she said as she cleared . She abruptly stopped her laughter and her dark eyes became this hollow emptiness.

“Oh well that would be nice...but,” I said. I thought of something fun.  I jumped in front of her face with my face still squished in a weird shape. Jiwon looked as if she was holding in her laughter. She tried pushing me away. However, she started laughing though and I joined in with her. I saw sparkles in her eyes whenever she laughed.

“I ratherrrrrrrrr hear ya laugh!” I poked her sides teasingly. Jiwon tried to push me away for she was very ticklish.

‘Jiwon…my eyes may hold the ocean, but yours hold the night sky’ I thought as I looked into those shining black eyes.

‘Thank you, Jiwon’

End of Min Jee P.O.V