Chapter 1

My Iron Cage, Your Wretched Shackles

“Ms. Sung, you look beautiful as ever,” the maids commented as one of them brushed my hair gently.

My long fingers traced the golden swirl imbedded in the marble of the make-up table.

I smirked. “Of course, I am, but I don’t need someone like you to tell me the obvious,” I replied back. “But the compliment was a nice try,” I added while I looked at my manicured nails. The maid became silent, and there was much more stiffness to her hand as she brushed my hair.

With my chin rested on my hand, I looked outside to see the big water fountain that was in front of our house as a symbol of wealth. The water was coming out of a marble shaped girl who appeared to be dancing. My glanced to the left to see the gardeners finishing their morning work. They even scrubbed the tiled driveway several times. Really, that must get tiring. Fall had arrived majestically. The trees were beautiful shades of red, orange, and yellow. Over all the hedges and gardens, I could see at a distance the tips of the Iron Gate, which was the big gate that allowed people to enter or leave. Although it was meticulously crafted, I felt like I was living in a majestic bird cage. I clucked my tongue at the thought.  

Suddenly, the maid pulled on my hair a little too hard. Pain shot through my scalp slightly which fueled my sharp tongue.                                                                                           

“Ah ah, that’s enough,” I impatiently stood up and flipped my hair. I grabbed my bag from the couch and walked out of my room as the maids bowed me out. Out in the hall, I tried combing my undone hair with my fingers. It was a horrible attempt. I ended up getting it more tangled.

“May I offer assistance?” I then felt someone’s fingers comb through my hair. They were soft and gentle as they parted my hair the right way. I stood there with this calm and relaxed feeling.

“Finished,” the hands swiftly moved away as if they were never there. I turned around to see Gongchan. He had a black suit on with a loose white, ribbon tied into a simple bow around the collar of his white shirt. He bowed to me.

“I guess I’m supposed to say thank you,” I rolled my eyes, with my hands on my hips.

“Good Morning, Lady Jiwon,” Gongchan kindly said to me.

“Breakfast is waiting down stairs,” He lent his hand out for me to take.

He never appeared to be bothered my harsh words. He heard me clearly. He wasn’t ignoring them, but he wasn’t offended by them either.

 “…Good Morning…and I guess, thank you…” I mumbled as I took his hand. Gongchan smiled as he led me down the hall.

Gongchan was listing off today’s breakfast menu, but I just tuned him out as I stared at him. Gongchan is my attendant and has been assigned to me since I was six. He is two years older than me, making him 18 years old since I was 16.  

“Lady Jiwon? Is something wrong?” Gongchan tilted his head slightly. We had stopped walking. I blinked a couple of times.

I scoffed. “Of course not! And I wasn’t looking at your face or anything like that! I just, I didn’t have much sleep so I dozed off slightly!” I crossed my arms with a defensive look on my face.

This is my horrid personality.

I don’t know when it happened, but to protect myself I began to insult others. A stupid and childish personality created to only cause misery to others. But it would prevent anyone to get close to me. So without even thinking, cruel words come out of my mouth naturally as my original self becomes buried deep inside of me.

“Of course,” Gongchan said chuckling to himself. He kept going on the list of the menu as if I hadn’t just said something mean.

He is really considerate. He always tries to adapt to me.

 

*****

 

“Miss Sung, have a good day,” the maids and butlers bowed me out as I walked towards the black car. The late september wind whipped my hair around. Gongchan held the door opened and allowed me to come in before he went in.

“The weekend is over, are you excited for school today?” Gongchan asked me politely. He gave me a smile. I responded with a lofty smirk.

“Who would be excited for a Monday? Are you crazy? And even though we’re just starting the second semester, the professors have been piling up with so much work” I asked with arrogance. Gongchan just laughed quietly and looked at me with a gentle expression.

“Yes, Mondays are a bore,” he agreed with me. He then moved his eyebrows up and down. My mouth twitched slightly into a smile and I lightly slapped his arm to make him stop. Gongchan is the best.

When we reached Yonsei Academy, Gongchan swiftly got out and opened the door for me. I gracefully walked out with my head held high. I brushed my white uniform dress as I walked towards the giant school building. Gongchan closed the door and the driver bowed me out.

At Yonsei there are three educational branches. The elementary school which went from grades fourth grade to sixth. The middle school: seventh to ninth and then the high school: tenth to twelfth. Before fourth grade, most of us have been homeschooled with tutors and other professionals, which explains why elementary starts at fourth.

I rolled my eyes when I swiftly walked past the school monument. This school was supposed to a nondiscriminatory school where people from all backgrounds can get in it. They formed an entrance exam where one must take one (of course they would be different all three times) to enter any of the three branch. Therefore, those who are accepted to the middle school may not be accepted to the high school. However, this school surprisingly has only the wealthy percentage of this country. I scoffed to myself. ‘Stupid prestigious school’

I turned around to see if he was there. Carrying my book bag, Gongchan followed me from behind leaving a couple of feet apart. It was an unspoken rule that the servant must be a few feet away from his/her master.

I forced myself to keep my arms down because I wanted to wrap myself up and curl up into a ball. I let my eyes fall into a steady, bored gaze. Other students were chatting with each other or filing inside the buildings. There were people in the garden, sipping their final drops of morning tea. I walked straight with a sharp pace without bothering to stop. I wanted to get inside as fast as possible. Gongchan though easily and gracefully followed me.

The pathway to the school was long. Too long.

I could feel the stares on me, and although I’m used to their many eyes following me wherever I go. However, I could never shake off the feeling of chilliness. Even though I was far away enough, the whispers sneaked around me, creating an isolating barrier around just me. I walked a little bit faster, trying to get to school.

“Lady Jiw-“ I heard Gongchan’s voice call.

I then suddenly bumped into something. I blinked a couple of times to see a girl with her books dropped. She had two braids and glasses. Her white dress was wrinkled in some places and the dark red standard bow was not tied properly around her dress’s collar. The white sleeves were also dirtied in some places. Although she wore our school uniform, she was one of the few students here that came from the poorer classes.

The brown haired girl looked up with regret. I raised an eyebrow at her.

 “Ah, I’m sorry…I just dropped my books…and, I will clean them right away,” the girl rambled on. I rolled my eyes at her.

“Tch. Not that I care, but please do consider this is a walkway,” I coldly said to her and walked past her.

“Gongchan…help her,” I added quietly and quickly. I clenched my fists with regret as well. I should have bent down and helped her. Tell her that it was okay and that no harm was done. But of course, I lost the ability to do that. That’s why I had to use Gongchan for my selfish deeds and he always complied, without a complaint.

“Yes, My Lady,” he said. My back was turned to him, I heard the rustle of papers, and I took that cue to continue walking into the school building alone.