Chapter 5

My Iron Cage, Your Wretched Shackles

“Good Morning,” Luhan’s voice was perky when he came in. He didn’t wear the full uniform today, but a gray sweater over his white dress shirt. I watched him walk over at my desk and expressionlessly raised an eyebrow at him.

 “And here you go,” Luhan handed me the sketch pad the next day. I forgot I had given him my sketch book. I highly doubted he looked through it for I did throw it at him the other day. Well, it didn’t matter anymore. It had no deep meaning, anyway.

“Am I supposed to say thank you?” I said to him with a smirk.

‘My god, just say thank you normally!!!’ I scolded myself in my mind.

 I handed my sketch pad to Gongchan who took it out of my hands. Luhan just shook his head.

“I am just happy to return it to you, you don’t need to spare me any other words” Luhan smiled and went to his seat. He didn’t look offended, but instead genuinely happy.

“Strange as ever,” I muttered to myself as Gongchan chuckled. “He is a little different from the rest of them,” Gongchan whispered into my ear.

I waved my hand to get him away from me. He was breathing on my neck which made me uncomfortable. The classroom was somewhat empty. There were only a couple of students sitting and rereading over the materials yesterday.

Then, a chatter of voices filled the air as more students came in. A group of boys came in. They were joking around about something stupid I suppose. I rolled my eyes to myself.

“You say it,” “No come on,”  “Hurry!”

“Ah, Sung ssi…Good Morning,” one of the boy said to me. I blinked a couple of times to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

“Good…Morning,” I replied back in a surprised tone. The guys looked at me gawking. I raised an eye brow.

“What?”

“Ah…Nothing!” they then skidded to their seats. “She responded back!” They were whispering to themselves with a happy expression on their faces.

“What was that?” I mumbled to myself. “They never talk to me, much less say a good morning,” I then felt a brush run through my hair. I looked up to see Gongchan with his charming smile.

“What’s amazing though is that you didn’t reply in your usual tone. Did they shock you that much?” Gongchan laughed softly. I shot him a small glare.

“I just didn’t want to start off my morning in a bad way,” I said defensively.

“Yes, yes,” Gongchan said soothingly.

The rest of the class period was strange too. A girl waved to me during tea time, and another boy said hello to me as well. I leaned against my hand as I watched the professor explain an assignment. ‘Everyone is sure weird today, what happened to them all?’ My eyes looked across the room at each and every one of them. Then my eyes befell on Luhan who was staring back at me. I widened my eyes and turned the other direction. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him chuckling to himself. I rolled my eyes unintentionally. Did that idiot do something?

Soon we had to separate into partners of our choice. I usually waited for someone to have no one else to turn to and resort to me. No one would be partners with someone like me. I yawned waiting.

A girl then approached me. She had short, caramel hair that was just below her chin and spiked at the edges and she had bright, blue eyes.

“Hi Sung Jiwon, do you want to be my partner?” She gave me a big grin. If I recalled, she was the daughter of an airline business. Father had important connections with this family for they helped us out with transporting doctors and nurses to other parts of the world.

The classroom got very quiet as everyone watched us. They must have thought this girl wanted to die or something. I thought that same thing because only a minute had passed and this girl could have still picked someone else over me. There were plenty of students left.

“Yes…of course,” I responded after realizing she was waiting and she walked towards the door. We went to the library and she laid out all the books and charts on the dark wooden tables. A giant window with golden curtains was behind us. The weather looked horribly dreary with its gray clouds and cold breeze.

We had to come up with some sort of business plan. It wasn’t that important of an assignment, just something to show the school board we actually learn.

“I’m Han Min Jee, I don’t think I ever introduced myself to you. Oh, you can just call me Min Jee, everyone does,” She was very happy and relaxed. “Ah can I call you Jiwon? It feels weird saying your last name with your first name, haha but wait it feels weird calling you by your first name too,” She laughed as she organized some papers.

I smirked slightly. She was truly amusing.

“Call me whatever you please,” I said without much care. I then began to work. It was quiet for a few minutes before Min Jee started talking in a low whisper. Other classmates were working together on a computer or researching alone. Some have left to go get something from the classroom.

“I’m half Korean and half French. That’s why my eyes are blue and my hair this color,” she suddenly blurted out. I still worked on as she talked.

“Really,” I commented without much concern. If she wanted to talk, she can. All I needed to do was reply back with general comments without offending her. If I said something rude, Father might not let me out of the house for a month.

“Since I’m a half, it was hard being accepted into the family and this school! It’s my first time coming into one of the Seijou schools. The elementary and middle school rejected me. Isn’t that kind of funny? Apparently though, my mom eloped with some French dude, but of course she had to settle down with a proper Korean husband. The engagement had no meaning. It was just an agreement between two major companies,” Min Jee babbled on with a grin.

“I see…” I stopped working and looked up at the girl.

“It kind of upset me because I never saw my actual dad and the other husband kind of hated me. Well I don’t blame him, his to be fiancé got banged before he could do it,” Min Jee laughed.

I stared at her in surprise by her usage of words and her stupidity of being so open to me. Does she not know who I am?

“Why are you telling me this?” I asked her carefully. ‘She must have an interior motive. Did she want my pity or sympathy?’

“No reason. I just know that if I tell you this, you won’t tell anyone else,” Min Jee replied.

“You barely know me though, why trust me with such information?” I asked her. I stared deep into those blue eyes. Just like her words, they were clear and I could see myself in them.

“Because maybe if I give you a part of my life to hold, you will believe in me also?” She pondered at the thought.

“You want my trust?” I asked. My eyes narrowed. ‘Bingo, there it is, that secret motive’

“Of course, because I want to be your friend,” She said as if in a matter of fact tone.

I just gaped at her in surprise.

“You do understand what kind of person I am right?” This girl was absolutely insane. We’ve been in school since March and it was halfway through September now.  She should know how mean I am.

“Just because a majority of people view you as something, that doesn’t mean I do. I finally gained some confidence to talk to you, ya know?” Min Jee smiled.

“You’re a strange one, aren’t you,” the words came out of my mouth before me realizing it. I bit my lip in regret. I cursed to myself. Min Jee smiled at my reaction. She then closed her eyes.

“You know you’re also a lot kinder than what you let yourself appear as. I think everyone in class realized this too,” Min Jee stated.  

I raised an eye brow at her. This whole school has officially gone mad.