Hmm, you don't say...

Somewhere different.

 

I seemingly woke-up – I’m not even sure if I was asleep, but it felt like some time had passed – by something cold brushing against my feet. I looked up, startled, to find Jjong leaning against the wall opposite me. He had pulled the quilt up to his waist so it was half on him and half on me. I looked at him with warm eyes; he looked so calm sleeping like that. I wiggle my cold toes against his. His eyes blink a few times before opening fully, he turn and gave me a sleepy smile.

“How long have you been there?” I whispered to him, he looked at me more awake then.

“Awhile. You looked lonely,” he chuckled warmly “why didn’t you sleep on the couch?” he looked at me quizzically. I averted my eyes.

“Oh, I don’t know,” I thought of an excuse that was only half a lie, “the moon looks so pretty tonight, I wanted to see it.”

“Oh,” was all he said. Maybe he didn’t buy it, I know I wouldn’t have. I looked at him, studying him; I felt the urge to say something…

“You know that girl today, she said we looked cute together.” I said in a low voice, loud enough to know he wouldn’t miss it, but not at a normal volume.

“Did she? Well, I guess we do.” He smiled, and then turned to look out at the window.

“Yeah, she said that we complement each other well.” I breathed out slowly, “when I asked her what she meant, she said that liking a guy wasn’t such a bad thing.” I wanted to look anywhere but at his face, but I couldn’t, I wasn’t sure how he’d react to what I’d just said. If he’d shrug it off as if it was nothing or if he’d actually consider it.

“What are you saying?” he said in a soft tone, not accusingly. I shifted my gaze a few different places before I responded.

“Well, I mean, I know that in Korea is not so common to be like a guy if you yourself are a guy… But here it’s different, right? It’s normal almost.” I let out breathe I didn’t know I’d been holding, “I feel like here I can say what I want and not get judged.” I looked at him in the eye and breathed in slowly, “Jjong what would you do if I told you that I was gay?” he just stared at me, like all the blood had been drained from his body. At this point I expected him to just get up and walk out of the room. For good. But he didn’t say or do anything. I felt I needed to continue.

“I really don’t want to get all dumb or sappy when I say this, but, you know we’ve been so close for long, that I think I might like you. More than I friend I mean. But you don’t have to respond to it. We can just stay good friends.” Silence, “if you want. But if you don’t really want to be around me anymore that’s okay too. Well, no it’d not okay, but if it’s what you want,” I felt the quilt shift by my feet, I looked away from him, so he was out of my preverbal vision – I didn’t want to see him walk out of my life. “But you know, I’m not going to change who I am for anyone anymore. Not even my family or friends. I just want to be me for once and not be ashamed of it. So my dream isn't to become the best, it’s to become someone who I’m not ashamed to be.”

“Kibum.” He voice was closer than I expected, I felt his breath on my cheek, I turned towards him. “Shut up already.” He leaned down and lightly brushed his lips against mine, so softly I wasn’t even sure if it’d actually happened. I let out a shaky breath.

“I-I don’t understa-” my words caught in my throat as his pushed his lips on to mine fully. My heart started to beat fast as I realized what was happening. I was kissing Jonghyun. I was kissing Jonghyun! He pulled back and looked at me with uncertain eyes.

“You didn’t have to do that.” Was all I could let escape my lips. He let out a frustrated sigh and sat back against his wall.

“That took a lot of courage on my part Kibum; you could at least look half excited that I did it.” I looked at him with a small smile lifting my lips.

“You’re cute when you’re embarrassed.” I laughed.

“Yeah, well, you’re blushing like you’re sunburned.” He said in a childish voice. That only made me laugh harder.

“Awh, does someone need a hug?” I asked with a fake pout on my face, he didn’t look at me. I got on my hands and needs and crawled over to him, “Do you need a kiss?” he didn’t answer but he blushed dark enough for me to see in the dim light, I smiled, leaned in and pulled his lips to mine. He pulled us into a sitting position. We stayed like that with are lips locked and in each other’s embrace for awhile until we were tired enough to fall asleep in each other’s arms.

---

I woke up in a comfy position on the window bay. I thanked god it was about the size of a four-seater couch. Jjong was playing with my hair when I turned in his arms to smile at him.

“Are you sure you’re okay with this?” I asked him, giving him the chance to change his mind. He looked at me with determined eyes.

“If I’m going to love someone, it might as well be my best friend, who’s been there for me for so long I’d love him anyway.” I smiled at him, but I was still unsure.

“What about the fact that we’re both guys?” I asked again, looking away from him, only to have him turn my face so I had no choice but to look at him.

“I couldn’t care less that you’re a boy yeobo. When you love someone, you love them for them, not what you wish them to be.” I felt my cheeks tint scarlet and I smiled broadly.

“Good. Because I love you too.” I finished and rolled onto the ground. He looked at me with a questioning looked. I sighed, “Jjong, don’t you think we should get up? We have to meet the guys soon.” He just stared at me, but he nodded as slowly got off the bench.

When we were finally dressed and ready, I was just fastening the necklace Jjong had gotten me yesterday around my neck. It was of a cute little puppy, and I had gotten him one of a key – creative I know – they were originally friendship necklaces, but I guess they meant something different now. I smiled to myself as Jjong came up behind me and wrapped his arm around my waist and hung his head on my shoulder.

“You look pretty.” Was all he said, I smiled. Something in the mirror caught my eye, I’m not sure what it was though, because my concentration was broken by a loud knock at the door.

“Hyungs! Hurry up!” we heard Minho call. I grabbed my bag on the chair next to me and pulled Jjong along with me to the door.

When we got out into the hallway, we began walking to the lobby. I noticed everyone was sort of staring at us funny. It took me a minute to realize why – Jjong had his arm around me. And yeah, he did that all the time, but over my shoulder, like any of us would. Something about him having his arm around my waist though, seemed to send out a different message. I looked over and Minho who just smiled knowingly at me. I blushed and gave a small nod back.

“I expected as much.” Jinki said in a cast off tone as he swung his arm around Taemin's shoulders, pulling him along faster.

As we continued walked we passed by a full-length mirror, and the same thing caught eye again. I stop walked and Jjong almost tripped over his own feet.

“What is it?” he asked holding my hand down as I stared at the mirror.

“She was right.” I mumbled.

“Who was?” he looked into the mirror, trying to see what I saw.

“We do look good together,” I smiled as he looked at me through the mirror.

“I could’ve told you that.” He said with a goody grin and he gripped my hand tighter, pulling me along after the guys.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: well, i completely changed how this story was supposed to go. Oh well, I like it better this way. It seems cuter and less mushy gooey crap. A little more relatable. I did a lot of research on the topic of gay rights in different countries, and cam across the fact that it's very taboo to be gay in Korea. I found that so hypocritical. Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed reading this, I enjoyed writing it. Especially once I got enough motivation for it! Don’t forget to comment, okay?