Today

Somewhere different.

 

I looked over my shoulder at him. He was on the floor, lying on his stomach, arms bent in front of him to cushion his head, which was turned away from me. I sighed softly under my breath. I looked out the window again – the moon was rather full, it was bright enough to give the entire room a dull blue glow.

I was sitting up on the window bay’s bench – leaning against one of the three walls surrounding it. I have a quilt thrown over my feet and three pillows behind me, supporting my back. I couldn’t bring myself to sleep next to him. Especially not here where it felt like the rules of home didn’t apply. I sighed again, feeling my eyes droop, even though I wasn’t tired. I kept replaying what had happened today in my head.

---

“Kibum, you’ve bought like half the street already.” Jjong complained, shifting the weight of the bags I made him carry over to high left shoulder. “This is pathetic.” He grumbled.

“I don’t care! I’ve never been in Vancouver before, I want to get as much shopping in as possible!” I exclaimed, he looked at me with a ‘are you serious?’ look. I sighed and looked to my left, away from his glare. I realized the store we were passing was actually a coffee shop. “Fine, why don’t we stop in here for a bit?”I asked, swinging my hand to point to the shop. That’s when I hit one of the coffee-drinkers in the arm, causing her to spill her drink on her shirt.

“Omo! I’m so sorry miss!” I say in English, I drop what bags I had into Jjong’s hands and hop over the small fence to help her clean up her table. “I’m so sorry.” I repeat.

“It’s fine, it’s fine.” The girl chuckles, she looks about fifteen. She finally looks up and me, she stares at me for a few seconds, her expression not changing, a small flash of realization comes and goes in her eyes, and she looks over at Jjong, when she turns back to me, she has a small smile on her face. “You are so cute together.” She says, a little slower, why she said it slower I don’t know, but it did help me keep up with what she was saying.

“Oh… uhm, thank you, I guess?” I said, I wanted it to sound like an actually thanks but it came out more as a question. She looked down at her shirt to survey the damage I had caused. She put down her coffee – which she’d been holding away from her like it had some sort of disease – and grabbed a napkin of the table and started to dab at the brown spot on her chest.

“Sorry for asking,” I began, an idea forming in my head, “but, what size are you?” she looks up at me and smiles.

“Your size,” she replies. I chuckle lightly and look over at Jjong.

“Hand me the GAP bag yeobo.” I say putting my hand out towards him. he looks at me in confusion but obeys. I search through it until I find what I’m looking for. I smile at the girl.

“Here, you can have this.” I say handing her a plaid button-up. It looked feminine enough, since I had gotten it form the girl’s section of the store anyway. She took it from my hands, and shrugged on the purple blouse she’d been wearing.

“Thank you so much. I’m glad you shop on our side of the store.” She said as she buttoned up the shirt and began to gather her things.

“You know Key, sorry I mean Kibum, you and Jonghyun really do look cute together.” She said with a knowing smile and began to turn to leave. I grabbed her hand.

“How did you know my name?” I asked, “and what do you mean we look ‘cute’ together?” she laughed lightly and shook her head.

“I just think that you and Jonghyun would complement each other nicely. Being with a guy isn’t such a bad thing you know.” She smiled at me again; I noticed how nice her smile was, almost motherly in a way. I stared at her with bewildered eyes.

“Well, since you know my name, can I know yours?” I asked.

“Sure, I’m Shari Cooper. That’s S-h-a-r-i. You can look me up on facebook, or twitter.” She chuckled again, leaned in and gave me a hug. Without realizing it I hugged her back. “I’m a huge jongkey shipper by the way.” She whispered into my ear. She pulled away and walked off.

“What was that?” Jjong said from behind me now. I’d forgotten he was even there.

“Oh, nothing.” I said and took some bags back from him, “Do you still want that coffee?”