THREE

Ethereal: A Trinket's Tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When "Master" Siwon said he'd introduce Donghae to the way of the land, Donghae never thought he meant like this. 

Not ing hancuffed to the man's--no, a supposed faery's--left wrist and paraded around some amazing places inside what this guy called his 'quarters.' Hell, if these were mere quarters, then Donghae was sure his entire house was just a broom closet. He had never felt more lied to. But no matter how exquisite this guy's house was, Donghae was in no mood to be shown around like a prized doll, like what was currently occurring.

After four awkward encounters with random folks inside of this Siwon guy's mansion (or was it a palace?), Donghae was over the whole charade. He just wanted to go home to his clarinet and trinkets. He was tired of hearing people say how 'beautiful' he was. It was just... too much coming from these literally dazzling faery people! Watching them glow like goddamn lava lamps while they called him pretty was just too insulting. 

And... Here we go again. Donghae thought when Siwon approached yet another wanderer of the faery mansion. 

"Vida," Siwon called to some purple-haired woman with flowing wavy locks, "you may take a moment to admire this human's beauty." Donghae still blinked at the audacity of this statement even after having heard it four times, but remained silent. As directed, the woman, Vida, stopped her shuffling. She seemed to have been tucking flowers into a vase that was already well sorted just to make herself look busy. Now that Donghae could get a good look at her, the attire she was wearing definitely made her out to be a maid. Quite a beautiful one. 

"He is quite beautiful, Master Siwon. You've snagged yourself a partner befitting your own good looks." 

"'Snagged'? You wench! Watch your tongue. I am indeed capable of winning the favor of any eligible faery or even a human in all the land." Siwon bellowed, waving his arm about the air as if to strike the lady with.

He didn't, though, because Donghae was hacking so hard he thought he might cough up a lung. 

With wild eyes, he looked up at Siwon, searching for answers. Immediate answers. "P-Partner? Did she just say 'partner'? Who's favor are you winning?? NOT mine! Right?"

None of the other fairies had mentioned a partner!! 

When all Donghae got in reply was another of those creepy eye smiles made by those beautiful teeth and charming cheek dimples, he just narrowly missed squashing the taller man's toes with the heel of his foot. Siwon had quick reflexes. Donghae had to admire that. Still, he screamed, "Come on, man! Answer me. You're trying to win the favor of some beautiful--or handsome, I won't knock your preferences--faery, right?! I'm not the one you're looking for.

"And look!" Donghae continued, his voice rising to one reeking of desperation, "Vida's beautiful. Vida. Say something. She's your type, right?" Donghae looked back at Vida, his eyes pleading for her to suddenly confess her undying love for her "master" or whatever. Anything to get him out of this weird situation. "Vida. Say something, please!"

Again, silence passed between the three of them as the two faeries just ing glowed, like glowing took all the energy away from their mouths. They remained silent, looking at Donghae. Pissed and starting to feel more panicked now than ever, Donghae began tugging at the handcuffs linking him to Siwon with a violence he didn't know he had.

That was when Siwon finally did something. And what he did then took Donghae's breath away.

Literally. 

****

"Alright, so here's our plan." Kyuhyun was saying as he and Hyukjae rounded a street corner on their way to the local pub. In the FarOut, all there were were pubs, all ranging (downward) from dingy to dingiest and filled with the most lawless bastards anyone could get mixed in with. Although there were so many, the FarOut pubs were some of the last places you wanted to visit. The only reasons anyone would visit the pub was if they were looking for cheap booze, messy fun, under-the-counter information, and...

If they were pathetically desperate.

Kyuhyun was forceably tugging Hyukjae into that category by the strands of his hair. Anything to save his best friend.

"You go into the pub, alright?" Kyuhyun continued, "And you sit down at the bar. Just sit down. Don't do anything. Don't look at anyone. Don't talk. Don't even hold out your hand. Just sit."

"Now why in the hell would I do that?" Hyukjae asked, voiced dropped low into that of a growl. 

"Well because..." Kyuhyun shrugged, "You're just the least approachable person that I have ever met in my entire life. And I've met some damn unapproachable people, man. I've even met an imp (before I killed it) and even that wasn't worse than you!"

Hyukjae shook his head, scowling. "Kyu. Shut the hell up."

"I'm just saying," Kyuhyun continued, "you've got this steel glare like you're always waiting to kill something. Or someone. And when you breathe, it's like--" 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter