TWO

Ethereal: A Trinket's Tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae stood dumbstruck in the center of what he considered nowhere. Surrounded by vast grasslands and massive trees bathed in such brightness as Donghae had never seen, he found himself questioning whether he remained on Earth. Grateful for the overpowering smell of the multicolored flowers around him, he was certain, at least, that he was still alive. 

But where the hell am I?

For miles all he could see were grasslands and meadows, trees and more greenery. It was stunning, looking just like something straight out of a monthly travel magazine to places just baredly inhabited and unknown. The bright, bright sun spread warmth rather than unbearable heat all around him and Donghae felt blanketed by calm. 

Donghae knew himself. By now, in an unknown place all by himself, he'd usually feel close to pulling the hair from his sideburns while screaming about how he was too young to die. Yet, it was strange. Right now, this unfamiliar place felt welcoming and he wanted the land to coat his entire being. Drink him empty, swallow him whole.

It was overwhelming. 

A sudden dizziness took hold of Donghae and he stumbled, fighting for balance. "No. W-What's happening?" He mumbled, words coming out as slurred as his vision was unsteady. The land before him lost its clear edges and the green faded from his vision. His mind weakened. Delirious, Donghae swayed sharply and landed hard on his knees, his upper body following soon after, crushing several mutlicolored flowers beneath his weight.

His eyelids grew heavy and as his consciousness faded, Donghae noticed the approach of what appeared to be a man walking slowly toward him. A man who seemed to be...

Glowing?

 

A sharp intake of breath Donghae from his slumber. It was his own. The image of a man approaching in the distance, glowing green, still lingered in his mind. The pain of his heartbeat thrashing against his chest sent alarm through Donghae's being.

He was terrified.

Trying not to move an inch, Donghae crept his eyes open and peered around the room he awoke in. Dark, barren walls the color of wet sand welcomed his eyes. Judging by the small amount of light, the room seemed to be lit by a tiny lamplight, if Donghae had to take a guess. And the way his neck arched upward... His head was resting on a pillow. Donghae's heart rate picked up in alarm.

I'm on somebody's bed. He thought and flinched hard at the sound of a disembodied voice.

"I can tell you're awake."

Donghae cried out in surprise and fought his way to the opposite e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter