ONE

Ethereal: A Trinket's Tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyukjae, we have a problem."

The call of his name reaching his ears, Hyukjae rolled his body from one side to the other and fixed bleary eyes on the speaker. Finding it was Kyuhyun, he fought a groan and instead of speaking his thoughts -- We always have a problem... -- chose to hum a wordless reply. 

"It's your birthday next weekend."

Hyukjae hummed. 

"And you'll be 34."

Hyukjae was falling back asleep and this time offered no reply. 

"And you're still blindingly single, man! Get off your lazy and get a move on before all the good ones are gone!" 

The other man's screaming shocked Hyukjae awake once more. "The good ones are already gone, you dingbat. Get out of here--" Before Hyukjae was finished answering, his bed covers were flung off and Kyuhyun was ripping him from the bed like a fresh sticker. Back smacking the floor, Hyukjae let out a pained cry and tried to shove Kyuhyun, who now knelt on his chest, away. But Kyuhyun wouldn't move, glaring down at Hyukjae as Hyukjae glared up at him. 

"Hyuk, get real. Seriously, you know what'll happen if you don't find someone to marry by your 34th birthday. We all do. It's the way of this land."

"Yeah, and everything wrong with the world is the way of this land. Get off me."

Kyuhyun heard the threat in Hyukjae's voice. Moreover, he felt the infamous series of pulsing warning shocks beating against his body. Not eager to be flung to the other side of the room by an angry exiled nobleman, Kyuhyun pushed himself off of Hyukjae and gained some browny points by helping the man off the ground. A single minute of silence passed between the two as Hyukjae stretched his stiff limbs and went to fish a t-shirt from the bottom of his bin of dirty laundry. 

As he stuffed the shirt over his head, he mumbled, "There's no saving me and you know it." 

Kyuhyun sighed, "You don't know that! Of course there's someone--"

"You have someone in mind?"

"... No, but..."

"Exactly." With no further words, Hyukjae dismissed himself from the bedroom and trudged into the kitchen, seating himself at the small dining table in the mostly empty room. Kyuhyun, like always, followed him inside. "Toasted bread with a sunnyside up egg, grapes, and a glass of orange juice." Hyukjae ordered the moment Kyuhyun entered the kitchen. 

Sighing but not refusing for fear of painful and a not-sudden-enough death, Kyuhyun silently set to work preparing Hyukjae's breakfast. It was the same as every morning. The same as every evening. Hyukjae ordered, Kyuhyun delivered. It was Hyukjae's most undesirable flaw: his inability to ask for any-damned-thing. 

It was the reason no one wanted to be involved with the previously most eligible and, by far the most powerful, faerie in the Ethereal Realm, Master Lee Hyukjae. That is, no one but his loyal manservant and best friend, Cho Kyuhyun. When Hyukjae directly defied the Realm Councillors knowing the only result

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter