Finding

The new tenant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moving to a big city when you were just starting your career was a pretty tough decision.

 

Sunggyu experienced it all.

 

 

He used to be a part-time cleaner at a host club - which was because he was so desperate to pay his rent and food. He also used to be a part-timer at a convenience store which was really because the owner somehow did not trust his workers and decided to pin Sunggyu with a crime he did not commit, which was stealing the paper cup from the coffee vending machine - yeah, it sounded ridiculous. And not long after that he became a teacher's assistant and it was awesome for a while until a student decided to pull a prank on him and it was not funny at all and he quit the next day because he almost broke his nose. He became a temporary tutor for middle school and high school students for quite sometimes. And when he was pretty desperate, he became a subject for an experiment which was thankfully it was only for two weeks and he hoped he will not sign himself up again into another experiment in the future because he totally felt like he was a lab rat, more like a lab hamster, because of his small eyes. And the guy that did the experiment kept calling him that and he hates it.

He almost decided to sell his body to an old lady with lots of money but Mr. Hamster managed to stop him, because ion is Korea is illegal. And you can get a hefty punishment because of that. Well, that last one was just a lie. His mom is going to kill him even if he just had an intention in his mind. And who the hell is Mr. Hamster? Oh yeah, his imaginary friend that he had since kindergarten.

 

Basically, he already did all kind of other odd jobs too to support his pitiful life. All of that happened before his submission to teach at a school was accepted.

 

Thanks to god, after suffering for almost two years of doing different kind of jobs and juggling between three jobs in a day, he managed to secure a place at a co-ed high school in a very prominent area where all the kids rode their own cars bought by their parents as birthday gifts to go to school. Their lunches were served by five-stars restaurant. The school produced elite candidates for all sorts of field such as business, politics, medicines, and pretty much everything. 

 

As a matter of fact, the entire environment was stunningly ironic for Sunggyu.

 

He did not know how his life managed to turn 180 degrees like that. And he was very thankful to God for giving him that kind of opportunity.

 

He is a math teacher.

 

Sunggyu was certainly not living the dream even in the midst of those atmosphere. His life was the epitome of mundane. He went to school by bus. He wore grandpa style wardrobe, sometimes he suspected that the school accepted him just because he unleashed the least threat of bad influences for students. And he was definitely sure that their interpretation solely came from their judgement of his clothes. Pretty much because he appeared to be so lame. And he lived in a very small apartment with his colleague, a tall and lean young PE teacher, Lee Sungyeol.

 

Sungyeol was kind enough to let Sunggyu overcame his stay by splitting the apartment rent. Both teachers were not so well off even though they earned big money teaching in elite high school. Their salaries were just enough to cover their so ridiculously expensive rent, bills, and foods, considering the local department stores in the area of their apartment sell a whole chicken worth three times of the original price. Both did not have the time to go shopping at cheaper places since Sungyeol was super busy dealing with his girlfriend. While Sunggyu was likely programmed to spent his free times lying around all day and not doing anything, because he liked it that way after suffering so much.

 

 

Everything changed when Sunggyu noticed that his life needed to turn the other way round. All of it happened after he had his high school reunion where almost all of his friends had already gotten married and had children of their own. Sunggyu himself did not know how to deal with those small creatures. Somehow deep down, he felt that he needed them to perfect his current life. It was kind of lonely going to reunions where he was automatically seated among the guys who were not bringing partners, neither wife nor girlfriend. And when all of those children running around in the family restaurant where they were having their sweet time reminiscing old memories, Sunggyu was left with the other leftover bachelors and definitely single friends, talking about old times, work, and nothing more. Sometimes his friends asked him to join their multi level business during reunions which he denied because he was so lazy to promote anything.

 

But first of all, he needed to save money. And living in that area was not helping at all.

 

Sunggyu kept thinking about that very matter when he got home. He kept thinking even more when he was always bumping his with Sungyeol's when they were standing in the kitchen, trying to boil instant noodles while drinking coffee in the morning for the kitchen was so small, maybe his great grandmother casket was ten times bigger than their kitchen size.

 

 

 

"I'm thinking about moving out from this place." Sunggyu said one day.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter