006

Through Fire and Water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What? What do you mean? I couldn't have summoned the fire, I can't!"

How does everything that's been happening lately make no sense at all? Starting from being paired up with Kim Taehyung for the ranking battle, and then to me beging a fire magus?

I don't want this at all.

"But you did, Juno. You really did. Everyone is a witness." When I was about to protest once again, Jihyo unnie said, "Let me show you" and started to raise her hand.

Even if I still wanted to deny it, the images through Jihyo unnie's abilities clearly show how a circle of red light appeared around me, similar to that of when Taehyung summoned his water dragon during our battle. From just seeing the fire balls summoned, I can tell how it was a large amount of magic. Fire was really everywhere and almost hurt a lot of people if not for Jung Hoseok's barrier and Taehyung...The boy actually saved me from a huge fire ball coming straight at me.

As the truth starts to sink in, I whisper, "My parents just considered themselves as average magi. How did my brother and I end up having the same fire abilities?"

Headmaster Kim gently reaches out for my hand and says, "What one's parents' abilities have nothing to do with what abilities we get. It's just...fate."

 

As I left the headmaster’s office, Mr. Kang’s last words before I excused myself to leave kept ringing in my head.

“You should be thankful, Jung Juno. You’re not such a nobody after all. Who would have thought that you're actually a fire magus? And potentially powerful at that?”

Of all other abilities I could get, why does it have to be fire?

I kept walking hastily to exit the school building and get some fresh air. I can’t think straight and I feel suffocated with all these recent happenings. My thoughts keep coming back to the images Jihyo unnie showed me and that fire...I haven't seen such fire since Chanyoung.

When I turned around the corner, however, I stopped when I found someone, whom I definitely do not want to see, leaning on the wall, as if waiting for somebody. Ignoring the person, I continue walking my way to the exit. I was about to pass him by when Taehyung pushed himself off the wall and grabbed my arm to face me with his same old frown.

“I guess I was right. You were hiding something all this time." Still looking me straight in the eyes, Taehyung continued, "A fire magus, huh? What's your purpose for hiding this identity? To make us all look like fools?"

Seriously? His question made me roll my eyes.

"Believe what you want," I said coldly, "But this is ing news to me, too." With that, I tried to end this stupid conversation and pull my arm out of his grip but he just held onto me tighter.

“Hey, I saved your .”

“And so? Are you waiting for me to say thanks?” I look at him firmly in the eyes, “Thanks, but no thanks, Taehyung. Not everyone wants to be rescued. Not this , at least."

I was about to turn away and leave but then I started to feel like I have more to say. I faced him and finally said, "You people all keep telling me to be thankful. Be thankful Kim Taehyung saved you, be thankful that you're actually a fire magus, you're not so useless after all," I mimicked.

"But what if I don’t want all those saving? Did that thought even cross your minds?" 

My answer made Taehyung loosen his grip on my arm. "What the hell are you saying?”

“What I’m saying is," finally pulling my arm off his hand, " off, Taehyung," and I continued walking away, but the next few words I heard made me stop for the second time today.

“Too bad I can’t do that, especially now.”

I turned back to face him and saw Taehyung looking back at me with a smirk, “What do you mean?”

 

“Didn’t the headmaster inform you? I was assigned to privately train you from now on.”

 

The universe must really hate me.

First, I discovered that I have a second ability and it’s the element that I loathe the most. With this ability, I am now marked from someone useless to someone “potentially dangerous” to other noblessen. Great. Now people are going to further distance themselves from me, if that was even possible.

Second, because water is the element most similar to fire, Kim Taehyung was assigned to train me in controlling my abilities.

And if that wasn't the worst thing that happened to me this week, Headmaster Kim actually assigned me to a new dormitory, far from the other students. Is this the academy’s way of isolating me? If they’re going to treat me like this, maybe it would have been better to have me locked up somewhere.

 

Caliburn Hall.

To be honest, I have never seen nor been to this dorm before, since it is far. Curiosity aside, I just want to pass out on my bed right this instant, after everything that happened and was revealed today.

Arriving at the doorstep of my new dorm, I notice that it doesn’t look like a dorm, but more of a home? It brings back nostalgic feelings of being with my family, and the thought warms my heart a little.

As I knocked on the door, I got startled for a bit when the door opened on its own. Chill Juno, chill. You’re in a magic school for goodness’ sake.

Taking it as a signal to enter, I dragged my stuff inside when I was met with this tall, brown-haired guy – Kim Namjoon. Oh, so he was the one who opened the door.

Everyone knows Kim Namjoon – best student of the senior class, part of BTS and the student council, and holds exceptional telekinesis abilities. Snapping out of my thoughts, the sudden realization that Kim Namjoon is in front of me made me think that I probably made a mistake.

“Sorry, I must be in the wrong dorm.” I started to pick my stuff up again when Namjoon showed his dimple and said, “Actually, no. Headmaster Kim already told us to expect you.” Contrary to his looks, Kim Namjoon actually seems gentle. 

Grasping what he just said, however, I stiffened. Did he just say us? Kim Namjoon is a BTS member, his definition of 'us' will probably mean -- I quickly scan the place, alert for the presence of evil.

He lifted my stuff up in the air and said, “Come, I’ll lead you to your room.” Seeing that I wasn’t moving, however, Namjoon said, “Relax, Taehyung isn’t here."  At that, I finally breathe a sigh of relief and babbled, "Haha, yeah. What was I even thinking? There is no way Caliburn Hall is just for BTS members, right?"

Namj

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter