My Artificial Love

My Artificial Love

Minseok sighed loudly and looked annoyed at his friend who was currently driving, himself sitting in the passenger seat. He turned the AC harder in the car as today was very hot.

“Can’t you go another time to this Suho guy? Aren’t the others waiting for us?” Minseok asked as he looked out the window now.

“Maybe it will be out of stock if I go later. Let them wait for a bit. I don’t think it will take long,” Kris said and made a turn at a corner.  “We’re already here.”

As they turned the corner, a huge mansion could be seen with a wide green garden. When they arrived at the entrance of the huge fence, Kris pushed the button for the intercom and said his name. When the connection died, the gate opened and he drove further.

“This house is even bigger than yours,” Minseok stated, looking at the flowerbeds, fountains and finally the house itself.

“You should buy a mansion too.”

“I’m fine with my apartment. I’m not going to use my parents’ money unlike you,” he retorted back.

“Hey, I’m working for them so it’s not that I’m carelessly using it,” Kris argued and stopped the car.

They walked out and Kris locked his car before they entered the mansion. When they went inside, the first thing that stood out was the large staircases that could be seen immediately when walking in. The walls were covered with Bordeaux red wallpapers with golden symbols on it, few paintings hanging to decorate it. Several doors could be seen on the sides and a sitting place was set up at the left side of the stairs with sofas, chairs and a coffee table. When they sat down, they were served tea and sweets.

“Waiting isn’t that bad like this, right?” Kris asked, taking a cookie off the tray.

“I guess... When will they come though?” Minseok asked back impatiently and just as he said that, a butler came down the stairs and walked up to them.

“Mister Kris, your presence is requested by Suho. You may come up now.”

“Alright,” he said and stood up. “You can wait here, I’ll be back.”

“Sure,” Minseok replied bored and slumped in his seat. When they ascended the stairs and there were no footsteps heard, it was all silent. He decided to grab his phone to fight off the boredom and started playing games.

“Why is it taking so long?” he muttered after a while and put his phone back in his pocket, already having enough.

“It seems like your friend is very picky,” a high-pitched voice said and he turned around to see a small girl with long straight black hair in a light blue summer dress descending the stairs. “Are you waiting for him?”

“Yeah,” he muttered and watched the little girl take a seat next to him. “And who are you? Do you live here?”

“Yup, I’m Hee-Jin. Nice to meet you,” she said politely and smiled at the man. He politely smiled back.

“Nice to meet you too Hee-Jin. I’m Kim Minseok.”

“Since you’re bored, would you like to play with me?” Hee-Jin asked, staring at him with her brown orbs.

“Sure,” he replied simply. He didn’t know how long his friend would take, he was bored and the child seemed nice enough. She jumped off the couch, Minseok standing up as well and he noticed she just reached his stomach if he stood upright. She was indeed small.

“Great!” she cheered happily and took his hand to pull him with her and started walking. Her hands felt cold and it was cooling for him in this hot weather.

“Let’s do something fun!”

“We should stay close to the entrance though. Or else they won’t find us,” Minseok stated as they went outside, walking through the garden.

“It will be fine, we can just walk back. Besides, let them search for you as a payback for letting you hang in boredom like that,” she replied and Minseok chuckled at her reply. She seemed quite cheeky for a little girl.

They arrived at the back of the garden, where she let his hand go and pointed at a trampoline.

“Isn’t it a bit hot to jump outside?”

“I got something for that,” Hee-Jin replied with a grin and ran around to move a sprinkler from the garden to point it at the trampoline. She then ran to the other side, grabbing a garden hose at a small shed and poured water on the trampoline.

“This will be cool enough! Let’s jump!” she yelled enthusiastically at him and he laughed at her antics, making his way over to her. They both took off their shoes and started jumping excitedly. The water splashed in every direction whenever they landed on the wet surface, indeed cooling them.

“So why did you come here with the tall guy?” Hee-Jin asked as she jumped around him as he jumped in place.

“We’re supposed to go to the beach with some friends, but he said he had an appointment here first and we drove past here so he figured he could do it today... while I’m with him,” Minseok replied and frowned.

“You could’ve gone with a car yourself and just go to the beach first. I know only rich people come here so you must have one of your own.”

He frowned at her comment. What was Kris planning on buying that was only meant for rich people? Was it rare? Was it that expensive? Now that he thought about it, he didn’t even ask his friend what he was going to buy and his friend didn’t tell him either.

“I could... but it does seem a little pointless to go with our own cars when we live quite close to each other.”

“That’s true,” she agreed. “How is the beach? I’ve never been to a beach.”

“You haven’t? I guess it’s cooling in this weather and sandy?” Minseok said unsure, not knowing how to explain it to a child.

“Actually, I’ve never been out of this house,” Hee-Jin admitted and they both sat down on the trampoline, wet and tired from all the jumping.

“What do you do every day?” he asked curiously.

“Studying, learn and practise manners and such. It’s boring,” she said and lied down, turning her head to Minseok. “Can I hide in your car and go with you to the beach?”

“I’m sure your parents won’t like that. You can ask them though, I don’t mind taking you with us,” he joked and patted her head. The girl was quite likeable.

“There you are Hee-Jin!” a panicked voice called out and the two turned their head to see a man coming up to them.

“Oh, you found me Lay oppa,” the girl said and pouted.

“No pouting little child. Look at you! You’re all wet and what did I tell you?! No loose hair, always have your hair tied in a knot. Hee-Jin, there is a guest today. Why can’t you behave for once,” the guy that was identified as Lay scolded and looked suspiciously at the man sitting next to her who was equally drenched and dishevelled in appearance. “And who might you be?”

“I’m just a visitor. Kim Minseok, nice to meet you.”

“I told you to never go with strangers,” Lay said and sighed when his attention went to Hee-Jin again. He took the girl from the trampoline and straightened her dress and proceeded with her hair. Minseok decided to hop off too and put on his shoes.

“I didn’t go with him, he went with me. Besides, he’s not a stranger since I know his name. Where’s Chen oppa anyway?”

“Don’t have such a big mouth. Chen is with Suho and the guests, that’s why I needed to look for you. We should head back now since you’re the last he needs to see,” Lay said to her and finished tying her wet hair in a bun. He passed down her shoes to put on.

The man then turned his attention to Minseok and bowed. “I must apologize to you. I’m sorry for assuming you took her. She must have caused you trouble and I’m sorry for the late introduction. My name is Lay.”

“Ah, not at all. She helped me from the boredom,” he said and bowed a little as well.

“Here you all are,” a voice called out and Suho walked up towards them, together with Kris and who Minseok assumed was Chen. The little girl rushed to who he thought was Chen and stood beside him.

“What did you do Hee-Jin? I told you to stay in the playroom,” Suho said to the girl disapprovingly. “I’m sorry for her current condition Kris.”

“It’s fine,” Kris replied politely, but frowned a little when he looked at the girl.

“And this is?” Suho asked as he looked at Minseok. His clothes were slowly starting to dry by the warm weather, but his appearance didn’t seem too pleasing for the gentleman either.

“I am Kris’ friend, Kim Minseok. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Minseok said and stuck out his hand. The man took it and gave him a smile.

“I’m Suho, the inhabitant of this mansion. I apologize for any misbehaviour Hee-Jin may have caused.”

“Come on, I don’t always misbehave,” Hee-Jin complained, but went quiet when Suho and Lay glared at her. “Okay, I’m sorry.”

 “It’s because Chen is your tutor. You took after his personality,” Suho said and sighed.

“Really, it’s fine. She’s been very lovely,” Minseok pushed.

 “I’m an excellent tutor for your information. I’m Chen,” the guy next to Hee-Jin said and bowed lightly to Minseok.

“Now, introduce yourself to Kris,” Suho said and motioned the child to stand in front of said guy.

“Dear customer,” Hee-Jin began bored, but cleared when Suho and Lay looked disapprovingly at her. Again.

“Dear customer, welcome to our estate and it’s a pleasure to meet you. I hope you will find someone pleasant to your eyes and be one of our owners. I’m Song Hee-Jin, Child number fifteen.”

Minseok frowned at what she said and the change of her style of speech.

“I already decided,” Kris said nonchalantly, waving the girl off and turning his attention to Suho. “I’ll buy Tao. I like that kid.”

“Wait, you’re buying a child Kris?! And you’re selling children? This is illegal,” Minseok said frowning and kneeled down beside the girl, holding her closely.

Suho chuckled at his reaction which made the guy only glare at him. Hee-Jin only stayed quiet, trying to behave for now.

“You must not have been informed by your friend, I assume. The girl in your arms is not human. She’s a Hybrid Child, a man-made doll which grows upon receiving it’s master’s love. I’m in charge of the sales while Chen is the creator of the dolls. Hybrid Children normally start off with no understanding about the things around them. You could compare them with babies, unable to do anything yet. Since buyers recently desire that these Hybrid Children have basic knowledge and are aware of etiquette that is important in the rich world, we have tutors and Lay is one of them. While we have quite a few Hybrid Children, Chen took the care of Hee-Jin on him... which was not a good idea seeing how she turned out.”

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with her,” Minseok reasoned and pinched her cheek while muttering; “You feel just like a human.”

“Thank you?” Hee-Jin said unsure and giggled. This person was the first person after Chen who didn’t see her as malfunctioned for not obliging to the rules of the prosperous.

“Perhaps you’re interested in buying her?” Chen asked.

“I’m not planning to. Besides, why are you buying one Kris? This is nonsense, spending your time and love on something artificial? Just find a human being if you’re so lonely,” Minseok retorted.

“Because you don’t need to feed them and they won’t smell so no shower. Less money to waste.”

“You wasted your money on a brand new car just yesterday,” Minseok stated and sighed.

“They’ll love you, no matter what you do. No stupid fights and arguments,” he argued again.

“That means you’re not willing to work on a relationship. Never mind. It’s your choice so I won’t bother.”

“Anyway, shall we settle the payment and such?” Suho offered and he went inside with Kris. Lay followed behind and ascended the stairs again while the other two entered a door on the ground floor.

“Hee-Jin, could you grab a drink for us? While you’re at it, you can steal an ice-cream out the freezer,” Chen said with a smile and she nodded.

“You mean borrow,” Hee-Jin corrected with a grin and walked off quickly.

“I thought you didn’t need to feed... Hybrid Children,” Minseok asked confused and sat on a bench outside as Chen motioned him to sit down. The creator then took a seat next to him.

“You don’t have to, but people sometimes feel lonely to eat alone so they can eat. It’s just not a requirement for them in order to keep living. As long as you don’t break them, they will be fine and if you give them lots of love they will change, grow.”

“I’m still not buying one,” Minseok answered firmly.

“Alright, alright. But you seem to show a liking to the little child. She is one of my favourites to be honest, probably because she is one of the less uptight ones. Rich people are quite boring, but you seem a bit different. I heard from Kris you started from the bottom at your parents company instead of using your parents and have a high position at once.”

“I’d rather do things with my own strength.”

“Very admirable,” Chen noted when Hee-Jin came back with two cans of soda in each of her hands and a popsicle in .

“Thanks Hee-Jin,” Minseok said and patted her head as he took one can.

She walked away after giving the drinks, putting the sprinkler at the right place again and ran through the water sprays.

“Don’t choke on your ice!” Chen warned, but she continued, making Chen chuckle. “That girl is so stubborn.”

“She’s quite witty too. I guess she has that from you?” Minseok guessed and smiled when looking at the girl.

“From me I bet you. The others are too strict... but I hope someone comes for Hee-Jin even if she’s different. She deserves a good master.”

“Can’t you keep her yourself?”

“I’m only here to make them, not for myself. Are you sure you don’t want her? It seems she caught your eye,” Chen tried again and Minseok shook his head.

“I find this Hybrid Child thing just weird, but you’re right. She caught my eye. Hee-Jin seems cheerful.”

“Then what about this? I’m getting more offers which means I need to make more dolls and the other tutors had quite enough of her... Could you take care of Hee-Jin? You have your own job so once a week would be more than enough. I’ll pay you of course and I’m sure Suho wouldn’t mind that I teach her less often.”

“I never took care of a child...” Minseok muttered, thinking about this proposition.

“It’s alright. Since she needs discipline, you can just bring your work over and let her be quiet... She still needs to learn not to talk. I’ll schedule you on her free day if you want to do fun stuff with her. That’s when she can be a bit difficult to handle,” Chen suggested.

Minseok thought about it and nodded. If he could do his work here and get money for it, why not? And it seemed quite interesting, maybe he could learn more about these creations of Chen.

“Alright, we have a deal. I’ll send you more information and the contract so you can read it more thoroughly and sign it if it’s to your liking,” Chen chirped and stood up to excuse himself when Minseok gave him his contact information.

“Did he leave you alone?” Hee-Jin asked and came to sit next to him, her feet dangling. She threw the popsicle stick in a nearby garbage can.

“He’s sorting some things out for me. Hey, how would you like it if I came by next week? I know you don’t know me that well yet, but first impression counts?” he asked her carefully.

“I’d like that, you seem nice. Could you make pictures of the beach for me then?”

“Of course I can,” he said and patted the child.

“Alright, everything’s set and I just need to pick him up when everything’s packed and ready to go,” Kris called out as he walked to Minseok.

Hee-Jin waved them goodbye before she got ordered to go upstairs and Suho bid them goodbye as they entered the car once again and drove off.

 

The next week came around when Minseok stood in front of the mansion. To be honest, he always had his work done on time and so he didn’t know why he agreed in the first place. He could work in advance though, which wasn’t a problem, but free time sounded better. The door opened when he sighed and a butler greeted him and let him come in. The butler led him to a room where he saw Chen, Hee-Jin and two boys sitting at the table. The table was currently being cleared by the maids.

“Minseok oppa!” Hee-Jin cheered and immediately stood up, rushing to the man and holding his leg.

“Hey there,” he replied with a smile and patted the girl’s head.

“Come sit,” she said and pushed him in a chair before taking her seat again.

“Glad you could make it,” Chen said happily while the two boys looked curiously at him.

“Is this the mister you played with? Lucky,” one boy whined and the other nodded.

“I still got scolded and got chores, Tao. Nothing to lucky about it,” Hee-Jin retorted.

“Introduce yourself boys,” Chen ushered.

“Dear customer,” both boys started, but Minseok quickly interrupted them.

“Ah, you can just say your names. I’m not a client.”

Both boys sighed in relief and smiled.

“My name is Jongin,” one boy said simply.

“I’m Tao,” the other said and nodded. Minseok took note that this was the Hybrid Child Kris had bought the other day.

“I’m Minseok. Nice to meet you.”

“Why do you have a bag with you? Do you have presents for us?” Hee-Jin then asked.

“If you want to do my paperwork, sure,” Minseok replied jokingly, making her pout while the other boys laughed at her reaction.

“Alright then, let’s get going now,” Chen suggested and everyone stood up and followed him. He dropped Jongin off in a room where he would have ballet lessons and stopped at one room, saying Minseok could sit there with Hee-Jin. When they entered the workroom, that looked more like a library, Chen walked further with Tao.

“So what are we going to play today?” Hee-Jin asked excitedly and took a seat on the floor.

“I got some paperwork to do. Chen said you needed some discipline and stay quiet,” Minseok said amused when she frowned.

“I thought the paperwork was a joke...” she muttered. “Did Chen oppa really say that about me? I can stay perfectly quiet though. I’ll show you.”

“That would be nice,” Minseok said politely and got his items out of his bag. He glanced at the girl who grabbed a book from the shelves and laid on her stomach on the ground, starting with the book. He smiled at the image. She wasn’t that bad with discipline as they had told him.

For a while, they both sat in silence with the ticking on the laptop and the turning of the pages as the only sounds. When Minseok was done with the paperwork, the only thing he needed to do now was to write and send an e-mail. That’s when he heard shuffling and saw Hee-Jin standing up.

“What’s wrong Hee-Jin?” he asked her as the girl stood up.

“I don’t want to read anymore, but don’t worry I’ll be quiet,” she replied and took some paper and colours from one of the bookshelves.

Minseok decided not to disturb her as he saw her hands moving carefully on the piece of paper and her face in deep concentration, her tongue poking out slightly. The male smiled at her expression and continued with his own work. He held his arms up and stretched his body when he was done and glanced at the girl who was smiling.

“What are you drawing?” he asked amused, placing an elbow on the table with his head leaning in his hand.

Hee-Jin looked up at him with a smile.

“I just finished Minseok oppa. Do you want to guess?”

“Sure,” he replied and motioned for her to come. She carefully picked up her drawings so he couldn’t see and walked over to him, sitting on his lap. Then, the girl placed the two drawings on the table for him to see.

“A… hamster? And a squirrel?” the man guessed after looking at them for a while.

“Half right.”

“Why?”

“Actually, it’s you,” she said with a grin. “Doesn’t it look alike?”

He chuckled and softly patted her head.

“I guess. Should I try to draw you as well?”

“Yes!” she yelled out happily and quickly got some blank papers and crayon for him from where she previously sat. She leaned her head against the desk, waiting for Minseok to finish. She couldn’t see anything as he covered the paper with his arm for her to see. When he finished, he turned the paper around.

“Done,” the man exclaimed happily and motioned the little girl to come to him. When Hee-Jin walked around the desk and stood next to him, he placed her on his lap and turned the two drawings around.

“A… heart? And a pie?”

“Because you’re a sweetheart and a cutie pie,” he explained with a grin and the girl giggled at his joke.

“I see I wrapped you around my finger with my charms~” Hee-Jin sang happily.

“You got no shame do you?” Minseok asked her jokingly. There was a bit of truth in her words though, the little girl was adorable and he couldn’t help but coo her even when this was only the second time they met. He could have let her sit on the ground in silence, but she pulled his attention towards her.

“I did not learn such a thing.”

“Oh, I got pictures from the beach trip. Do you want to see?” Minseok then asked and she nodded. When he pulled his laptop closer, he began to move the cursor and clicked several times before a folder opened. Just when he opened a slideshow, the door opened.

“Jongin, already done?” Hee-Jin asked in wonder.

“The teacher had some family matters and Suho hyung isn’t home yet so I’m free for now,” he explained and Hee-Jin ushered him to come over.

“Minseok oppa is showing pictures of the beach! Come look,” Hee-Jin then said excited. The guy smiled brightly and came over, the two children sitting on one of Minseok’s knee.

As they went through the pictures, the children smiled brightly at everything he showed them. The sand, the sea, all the people playing happily and all the little shops and food. Also the fireworks they lit at night. It had them mesmerized. When Minseok stopped at the last picture, a group picture, he pointed at one of them.

“That’s Kyungsoo, he was interested in you Children,” he explained and the two looked at the man with big eyes.

“Maybe he’ll be one of our owners!” Jongin said excitedly and the two children cheered loudly, making Minseok chuckle.

“We’ll see about that,” he then said with a smile.

“What should we do now?” Jongin asked after a while.

“Can we take a picture together? Like your trip?” Hee-Jin then asked. Minseok nodded and took his phone out of his pocket. They made all kinds of faces to the lens as it snapped several times.

“They look great,” the man commented as they looked through them.

“… Jongin? You said Suho oppa wasn’t home right?” the small girl asked with a grin. Jongin only looked at her with a frown.

“Yes, why?”

“That means he’s on a meeting and that means he’ll probably be home after dinner,” Hee-Jin theorized, making the other boy nod.

“We’re not going to!” he yelled out as he realized what was going on.

“What are we not doing?” Minseok asked confused.

“Let’s go to a fun place!” Hee-Jin yelled out, ignoring his question and standing up.

“Don’t we need to stay here?” the man asked as she pulled him with her.

“We’ll stay in the mansion. Come on Jongin, you know you want to~”

“Fine. But if we get caught, it’s your fault.”

“Even if it wasn’t, they’d still scold me so I don’t care.”

As the two bickered with each other, Minseok just followed them silently in amusement. He probably shouldn’t be doing this, but he was curious as well. This also gave him the chance to get a bit of a tour around the mansion, which he hadn't gotten. As they stopped in front of  a door, Hee-Jin let the man’s hand go and opened the door. Looking around, Minseok noticed it was a karaoke room.

“What should we sing?” Jongin asked as he looked through the list when Hee-Jin turned the device on.

“We only know opera and classic music though…” Hee-Jin said as the two children looked through the, for them, foreign title songs.

“I think I know one. It seems to fit you,” Minseok said with a grin as he tapped on the remote tablet.

“I probably don’t know the song though,” Hee-Jin commented, but took a microphone in her tiny hands anyway.

“Lyrics are on the screen so we’ll be fine,” Jongin encouraged her and took a mic in his hands too, standing next to her.

As the music started, Minseok sat behind them, looking at their curious faces as the unfamiliar music started playing. When the text came on the screen, the two started to try singing seriously. With every word, their faces began to light up and they began belting all the words.

 

I'm gonna be a mighty king, so enemies beware!

I'm gonna be the mane event

Like no king was before

I'm brushing up on looking down

I'm working on my roar

Oh, I just can't wait to be king!

 

No one saying do this

No one saying be there

No one saying stop that

No one saying see here

Free to run around all day

Free to do it all my way!

Oh, I just can't wait to be king!

 

Everybody look left

Everybody look right

Everywhere you look I'm--

Standing in the spotlight

 

Oh, I just can't wait…

 to be king!

 

“That was fun!” the two exclaimed as the song finished.

“The song sounds like you, Hee-Jin,” Jongin joked and laughed as she gave him a face.  He then turned to Minseok who smiled at them.

“Do you know other fun songs, hyung?”

“Let’s do this!” Minseok yelled out and they cheered loudly.

Singing for quite some time, they decided to go back to the room where they previously sat. Just in case Suho came earlier, you never knew. They spend the remaining time playing board games and Pictionary with each other.

“Will you join us for dinner?” Jongin asked Minseok when a maid called them over to the dining room.

“You don’t need to eat right? I was curious about that when I came in,” he asked curiously.

“We eat everyday to practise the etiquettes and to not forget them,” Hee-Jin explained. “So, will you stay?”

“I’ll stay,” Minseok replied with a smile and the two cheered in delight.

 

Since their first meeting, Minseok would always take a picture to commemorate the days he visited. Coming every week for two months, he got used to the idea of Hybrid Children, but decided to continue to treat them as human children. He was quite loved by them for whenever he came, he would always have something interesting for them that ranged from games to costumes. At first Suho didn’t approve of the peculiar clothes, but the man made a point of it so the children could re-enact the novels they needed to know about so bad. The children cheered triumphantly when Minseok won the argument and he smiled at their happiness. He would lie if he said he didn’t get attached to them as well, so when Jongin was sold he was happy the owner was his own friend Kyungsoo. It surprised Minseok that Jongin grew in a short amount of time and he was already towering over him. When Minseok asked his friend how he did, he only got a wide grin with the word ‘’ back and that was enough for him. Maybe too much information.

Minseok slowly began to understand why he still came every week. While his apartment was not too big and comfortable, it was somewhat cold. Suho’s mansion was huge, but cosy with all the people (and Hybrid Children) that resided there. It was a nice change in his life that he quite enjoyed.

 

One day at work, Minseok sat in his office like usual. His eyes were fixed on his computer screen as his fingers moved quickly on the keyboard. When he closed the window, he grabbed a document from his desk and started reading, only to get interrupted by the voice through the intercom.

“Mister Kim, there’s a call for you,” the voice of his secretary stated.

“Direct it to me,” he answered and the line got cut with her.

“This is Kim Minseok speaking,” he said with a serious tone as his eyes scanned the document in his hand. He heard a giggle coming through the phone and he frowned amused.

“Minseok oppa! You sound so serious,” an enthusiastic high-pitched voice called out and the man placed his paperwork on the table.

“Hey sweetheart, how are you doing?”

“I’m doing fine, no. Actually, I’m doing great. Aren’t you curious why I am calling?” she asked eagerly.

“I’m more curious about how you got my number,” Minseok answered chuckling. “So what’s making you so happy?”

“Suho oppa is letting me go to the beach with you! Isn’t that great?! My dream is coming true!”

“Really? That’s great! We’ll go this week then, when I come?”

“Yup, I can’t wait oppa.”

“Me too.”

“Then I’ll let you work. Good luck.”

“Thank you sweety. I’ll see you in a few days,” he said and hung up.

Contemplating for a bit, he dialled a number on his phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Dia, can I ask for a favour?”

“Sure.”

 

When Minseok asked his friend for a favour, she didn’t expect this. They were walking through the mall and went to the bathing suits department.

“So, you want me to help you look for a swimsuit?” Dia asked amused.

“I don’t know what would suit her,” Minseok replied as they walked further to the smaller bathing suits which made Dia frown.

“Wait, weren’t we going to get one for your girlfriend?”

Minseok chuckled and shook his head.

“Hee-Jin’s not my girlfriend.”

“You call her sweetheart whenever you talk about her though,” Dia said as they rummaged through the suits.

“She is a sweety, though. Wanna see some pictures?” the man asked and she nodded, coming closer. As he swiped through the pictures, Dia’s smile widened.

“Alright, I take the girlfriend thing back. You two still look adorable together,” she commented and he smiled, putting the phone in his pocket again.

“We’re going to the beach this Friday and it’s her first time. You want to go with us?”

“Sure, sounds nice.”

 

Walking up the little stairs, he smiled as he looked at the little package in his hands. He was quite happy with his present and he sure hoped she was too. Hee-Jin could be very picky. Walking into the mansion he greeted everyone he came across and when he entered the dining room, he could only spot Lay.

“Hey, I’m ready to go.”

“I’m sorry Minseok, the beach trip is cancelled.”

“What? Why?” he asked confused, his smile faltering.

“Hee-Jin got sold,” Lay said simply and Minseok frowned more.

“But she called me and said Suho gave her permission.”

“It’s true what Suho said, but the buyer came earlier to pick her up. I’m sorry Minseok.”

“It’s alright,” he said and tried to smile. He decided to change the topic and asked; “So is there something I can do today?”

“You could help me out with our new Child.”

“Alright. Let me make a call first,” the man said and walked out the room when Lay gave him a nod.

Minseok fingers tapped on his phone and he put it against his ear, listening to the beeps. He leaned against the wall as he sighed heavily. It wasn’t that rare to happen right? He could’ve expected this. Instead, he should be happy Hee-Jin finally got an owner. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a female voice. He sighed one more time before opening his mouth.

“Hey Dia. I’m sorry, but… plan’s off.”

 

After that day, Minseok was appointed to a new Hybrid Child named Luhan and Jongin who temporarily resided at Suho’s place due to Kyungsoo’s business abroad. Not too long after, two months later, did Kyungsoo come back. Summer went, autumn past by and winter arrived. Kris once asked him if he regretted that he didn’t buy her in the first place and to be honest, he did.

 

One day, already six months later to be exact, did his hand reach to the oh so familiar doorknob of the mansion, only to be opened quickly by a man who seemed quite mad. Minseok quickly stepped aside so the man could get out.

“You’re selling trash, I tell you. Love my .”

Minseok looked confused at the man’s retreated back, then looked inside to see Suho sighing deeply.

“Tough customer?”

“You could say that. You can go to Lay now, he’s in the dining room.”

Minseok nodded and went up the familiar stairs. It was best not to interfere with other ones business. When he opened the door, he was immediately greeted by an enthusiastic Jongin. Kyungsoo had a short business trip this time.

“Hyung! Hee-Jin is back! She’s back!” he yelled out and Minseok looked at him shocked.

“That’s not funny Jongin,” Minseok then said as he regained his composure and took a seat.

“He’s not lying though,” Lay said and smiled at him.

“She’s with Chen now. Let’s go visit her?” Jongin suggested and he only nodded.

It’s been so long already and he already resolved in his mind that he wouldn’t see the little girl anymore once she was gone. Heck, she could have the figure of a woman now because of her owner. Maybe he wouldn’t even recognise her anymore. But why would she be here again? His thoughts kept throwing questions everywhere in his head until Jongin knocked on the door. They heard Chen’s voice faintly calling out a ‘come in’ and they opened the door.

Jongin immediately went through one of the doors in the room while Minseok walked up to Chen.

“What’s going on? Jongin said Hee-Jin’s here again?”

“You heard that right. She’s in the room resting.”

“What happened?”

“Her owner was dissatisfied by the fact she didn’t grow. You know they only grow by the love they receive from their owner right?” Chen asked and Minseok nodded.

“The owner was patient at first, but got agitated when Hee-Jin still didn’t grow so he… You know how Jongin grew right? Just not the nice version…” Chen explained and Minseok nodded again. His eyebrows furrowed deeply as he realized what happened. She got abused. Seeing the guy’s hands growing into fists, Chen went on.

“The owner brought her here a few days ago, but he came again today. He was demanding a new ‘doll’. Suho refused, considering his  attitude towards our Children.”

Minseok vaguely remembered the guy he almost bumped in to at the door and he sighed in frustration. He should’ve given him a good beating.

“How is Hee-Jin now?”

“She’s fine, but she kept moving and opened her stitches again and again. That’s why she’s grounded on her bed now,” Chen said grinning and Minseok chuckled.

“Go visit her,” the creator then said and motioned to one door. The man nodded and walked in to see Jongin sitting on the bed next to Hee-Jin. The girl had several band aids wrapped around her arms and head for as far as he could see.

“I’m still astonished you grew so much. I’m so envious,” Hee-Jin said and pouted, making Jongin laugh and give her a quick hug.

“Your time will come.”

“I hope soon…” she muttered as her small arms were covered in his big ones.

“Hey there sweetheart,” Minseok called out and slowly took a seat next to the bed. The Child’s eyes grew wide, seeing the said guy and she smiled brightly.

“Minseok oppa! You came to visit me, oh how nice,” she said with a squeal and he chuckled. His face then turned into one with concern.

“How are you?”

“I’m fine. I can’t feel hurt remember? But my skin got cut really badly so Chen oppa had to fix me. You always forget we’re not human, don’t you?” she teased and he chuckled. Minseok smiled and looked at the both of them.

“Only because I see you all as one.”

 

A week after Minseok knew Hee-Jin was back, was it time for his birthday. He visited the mansion at noon and celebrated it with a birthday cake Hee-Jin had made with Luhan and Lay. After enjoying his time with them, Minseok bid his goodbye early as he celebrated his birthday in the evening with his friends and family.

He held Hee-Jin in his arms when he said his goodbye.

“Happy birthday again, oppa,” the girl said and kissed the man on the cheek before he let her stand on the ground again.

“Thanks sweety, I will,” he said and gave her a kiss back on her small cheek before standing up and walking through the doors.

“Now let’s go upstairs again,” Lay said, but then the door opened again to reveal Minseok.

“Did you forget something?” Lay asked with a knowing smile while the children looked at each other curiously and then back to Minseok who was walking up to them.

“Yeah, I forgot my present I bought.”

“You bought one for yourself?” Luhan asked with a frown.

“That’s pretty lame,” Hee-Jin commented with a grin and got flicked on her head by Lay.

“I mean... odd?” she corrected herself.

Minseok chuckled and held out a contract. Hee-Jin’s eyes widened as she read each sentence, each word, each letter, with care. It was her contract.

The man kneeled when the girl ran up to him and caught her in his arms.

“Still think it’s lame?” he muttered at her and he felt Hee-Jin shake her head against his shoulder.

“It’s the best present you could’ve got if I say so myself,” she answered with a grin.

“As cheeky as ever. I wished Chen learned you to be embarrassed and humble,” Minseok said and picked her up when he stood up again. Her hold on him loosened so she could look her new owner in the eyes, a smile grazing on her lips.

“You taught me how it feels to be loved.”

---

“I’m home sweetheart,” Minseok called out tiredly as he took off his shoes after a long business trip. He offered Hee-Jin to go to Suho for a few weeks, but she refused to and he already knew how stubborn she could be so he let it go. She could take care of herself so he wasn’t that worried and they called each other plenty of times, but right now the only thing he wanted was to see her.

“Hee-Jinnie?”  the man called out again when there was no response.

Walking to her room, he noticed no one was there. He then heard shuffling in his room and walked over.

“Hee-Jinnie? What are you doing?” Minseok asked confused when he saw his clothes shattered around his room, Hee-Jin hiding behind the closet.

“What’s going on here? You know I don’t like to see mess.”

When Minseok said that, the girl jumped from behind the closet with a cheer and ran towards him to embrace him.

“Look at me! Look at me!” she yelled and loosened her grip on him and backed away so he could take a look at her. He only stared in shock at the girl in front of him. Hee-Jin wasn’t the small girl that reached his stomach anymore. She came till his shoulders now, her body slim and long, her chest, hands and feet bigger. As he observed her, he saw she was wearing one of his dress shirts with a tank top underneath. Also from him. His gaze moved further down and he frowned.

“Is that my boxer short?”

“All my clothes don’t fit anymore. Guess you gave me lots of love~” Hee-Jin sang and wrapped her arms around Minseok’s neck.

“I guess we need to go shopping soon,” Minseok muttered and gave her a kiss on the nose, his arms wrapping around her as well to return the embrace.

“Am I hot now?”

“You’re still cute, even if you’re like this. And I still wish you learned embarrassment. How can you ask such a thing so bluntly?” he asked and chuckled.

“You can teach me.”

“Alright. Since you’re a grown up now, we can do this,” he said and kissed her softly on her lips, making the girl gasp and blush. He pulled away slowly and looked her in the eyes, smirking.

“I guess you’re embarrassed since you’re not regulating your temperature,”  he commented smirking and ticked her flushed nose.

She stared at him in shock before regaining her senses again and pouted angrily.

“I’m not embarrassed, never! It’s a malfunction!”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authore Note: I hope you liked it :D Subscribe, Upvote and/ or Comment is love <3 XD