Of Sunsets And Stars

Of Sunsets And Stars

 

You watched the sunset through the window. The orange-y pink color settled at the skyline of Seoul, the sun receding further and further behind the apartment buildings, offices, and highways. You loved the view from Namjoon's window; in fact, it was your favorite. Sitting against the headboard of his bed, hugging a pillow, and staring off while he was composing was one of your favorite things.

Okay, to be completely honest, anything that involved Namjoon was usually something that was higher up on your list of favorites.

Today, though, something was different. Your beloved Namjoon was right there, sitting at his desk, hunched over some notebook not five feet from you. He had been growing increasingly distant these past few nights. The usual sparkle in his eyes had become dull, and his smile hadn't been seen in days. The others hadn't noticed yet. With the schedule being so empty lately, they hadn't spent so much time together.

You sighed, shifting your gaze from the window to your boyfriend. All evening this had been the set up. "Namjoon," you said, trying to grab his attention. You knew he had to rest or he was never going to find his peace of mind. Your attempt failed though, as he didn't acknowledge you. It was likely he didn't even hear you.

As you got up from your spot, your heart ached for him. It wasn't often that his thoughts started to consume him like they were now, but when they had, it was never this bad.

You carefully s your arms around his tense shoulders, leaning your head on his shoulder, your mouth resting by his ear. "Jagiya," you whispered. "Talk to me. I will listen, I promise."

For a brief moment you doubted that he was even aware that you were there, but he slowly turned his desk chair around to face you. You took his face in your hands, kneeling in front of him. The exhaustion etched on his face pained you, but you didn't show it. Instead, you gave him a soft smile and brushed his hair back. It was growing out again, and you even though you liked it when his hair flopped over his eyes, you wanted to see him. "Oh, Jagi," you murmured softly, pulling him towards you.

Namjoon had always been there for you when you needed him, and you were eager to return the favor.

The boy was slow to react, but he wrapped his arms around you eventually. Instead of an embrace though, he clung to you, almost as if he was struggling to grasp onto something he could be sure of.

Running your fingers through his bleached hair, you kissed the top of his head. "Why don't we talk about it," you suggested, your voice no louder than it was before. "I'll listen. Just lie down with me."

You leaned back onto the bed, arms open to welcome your boyfriend into your embrace, but you noticed his hesitation. Despite wanting to share his thoughts with you, they were just so jumbled up. He didn't even know what he was thinking.

"I don't even know where to begin," he laughed pathetically. He sounded pained.

"Let's start with today, then," you suggested, trying to soothe his tension. "Tell me about your day."

And so he did.

That night he spilled his heart out. He told you of his fears and worries, how he thinks he isn't good enough to be the leader or even in the group. He expresses his frustration with how hard he has to work to get dances down. How hard it is to write and compose. How hard it is to be an idol. How hard it is to exist.

And that night you listened, nodding every now and again and helping him sort out his thoughts. You provided commentary when you felt you could help, and when it was all done, you told him that you loved him.

By the time he took a deep breath, the sunset was long gone, but the moon was out. Though light pollution killed the stars, you knew they were shining brightly.

"Namjoon," you whispered just as the both of you were finally calming down enough to sleep. "The stars are out."

Your boyfriend didn't open his eyes as he replied. "You can't see the stars in Seoul, Jagiya," he murmured sleepily.

"Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they aren't out. The light is still there, you just have to get to where you can see it."