2/2

At Midnight

"I'm going home. Goodnight, Taehyung." He didn't let the older student speak any more before he sped out of the building. He pulled out his phone and dialed a number he knew by heart, tears threatening to blur his vision as he shuffled through the cold city streets towards someplace warm, towards Jimin.

"Jungkook?" a soft voice on the other line questioned sleepily. Jungkook felt bad for waking his hyung up, seeing as it was past two in the morning, but the sound of his voice was enough to make him feel a bit better.

"Can I stay at your place tonight, hyung?" Jimin must have heard how choked up the younger was, because he agreed without a question, scuffling to buzz Jungkook in when he got to his building. The moment the younger stepped foot in the elder's apartment, he was engulfed in a warm hug and pulled onto the ratty but comfy couch that sat in the middle of the room. 

True broke-college-student-style, the apartment was admittedly kind of gross and a bit empty, but Jungkook loved it. His best friend's place was warm and felt like a second home.

Especially in moments like this. Jimin was his best friend for a reason, always there to comfort him without a second thought. Jimin had been a senior of his since primary school, where the two had met when Jungkook was eight and Jimin was ten. Their friendship had always been effortless; they joked around like kids just as easily as they helped each other through tough times.

Jimin knew what it felt like to be under pressure, to have expectations set on him that didn't seem fair or possible to meet. That's why Jungkook looked up to him, really. He wasn't afraid to forget about others' expectations of him and just do what made him happy. That's what lead him to Hoseok hyung and the studio.

"Jungkook-ah," Jimin's voice called softly, bringing his thoughts back to the present. "What's wrong? More parent stuff?"

Jungkook shook his head with a sigh, keeping his eyes squeezed shut. Jimin's hand was running through his hair softly, comfortingly. He could easily fall asleep like this, but the problem at hand plagued his thoughts too much to let him sleep that easily.

"Taehyung."

That one word was enough. Jimin nodded his head, mouth open slightly as he nodded. He knew what their situation was like already; Jungkook told Jimin about everything, so it was natural he'd know about his crush.

"Want me to kick his for you?"

Jungkook let out a half-sob, half-laugh. "Thanks hyung, but I think I'm just gonna try to forget about him."

"Forget about who?" a voice, groggy from sleep, called from one of the halls in Jimin's apartment.

"Oh, hyung, did we wake you up?" Jimin asked, voice laced with concern. The man just walked past Jimin on the couch and ruffled his hair before sitting down in the middle of the floor.

"Hoseok?" Jungkook questioned.

The two hyungs shared a hesitant look before Jimin stuttered out an explanation, that it was cheaper for the pair to split the rent, they were both college students so it was too difficult to afford living alone.

Jungkook knew that wasn't all there was too it, judging by the warm way Hoseok looked at Jimin, but he didn't say anything.

"Don't try to change the subject kiddo," Hoseok said in a gruff voice. "There'd better be a good reason I'm awake right now."

"Taehyung troubles," Jimin answered for him, matter-of-factly. When the eldest of the three reacted the same way Jimin had earlier, just a simple ah of realization, Jungkook sat up quickly, turning to Jimin.

"Hyung, you told him??"

"Jiminnie tells me everything," Hoseok said with a -eating grin. The hyung in question blushed madly, his whole neck turning red, and he puffed his cheeks out, glaring at Hoseok.

"Anyway," Hoseok continued, "what did he do this time? He still ignoring you?"

Jungkook figured there was no point in not telling Hoseok; he already knew everything anyway, no thanks to Jimin. "After Taehyung almost kissed me, he was ignoring me for a while. But you already knew that..."

Jungkook let out a breath of air. "But tonight, I asked him about what happened, about us, where we stand. He said he couldn't tell me, that he didn't know how to explain. What a excuse," Jungkook spat, still worked up. "I mean, he almost kissed me. He wasn't even an inch away from my face and now he's denying it. I was stupid to ever think he might like me, wasn't I hyung?"

Hoseok pursed his lips thoughtfully. "How old did you say Taehyung is?"

"He said he's twenty-one," Jungkook replied. "Why does that matter?"

"Hmm," Hoseok nodded. "No, I don't think you were stupid to think he likes you, Jungkook. Give things time, I'm sure he has his reasons for things."

"He should be able to tell me though," the youngest muttered. He thought they had built up some sort of trust between the two of them, but he must have thought wrong. Jungkook didn't mean a thing to him, he was stupid to think it would be any different.

People usually ended up getting bored of him, or sick of his personality. He was sarcastic and could be harsh at times. Jimin was the only one that had stuck with him, really. He understood that side of the younger and he even loved him more for it.

But Taehyung... He didn't even last half a year. He didn't want to bother making up with the other, it seemed.

 

 

Jungkook had been going straight home after school for a week now, and Taehyung hadn't made any attempt to contact him. He would be lying if he said he hadn't cried over him a couple times after their fight. That's what happens when he gets his hopes up about someone; he just gets disappointed.

Soon enough, Christmas passes by, and Jungkook still doesn't feel any better. He usually loves Christmas; it was his favorite holiday. He loved everything about it, from the string lights, to spending time with his friends, to the hot cocoa with the jumbo marshmallows.

But everything was dulled this year. He couldn't enjoy his winter break, not with Taehyung weighing down on his mind. He spent Christmas night alone, studying in his room. He didn't want to go out with his friends, he just wanted to be alone.

And that night, his phone vibrated on his desk, lighting up the screen with "Taehyungie." He wrinkled his nose at the name, making a mental note to change it later while he declined the call.

It rang again exactly one minute later. Jungkook groaned, thinking on throwing his phone across the room, but settled with pressing that red button again, mentally signalling to the elder to stop calling, he didn't want to talk.

His telepathy apparently wasn't very good, judging by the text he received seconds later that read Jungkook, please answer~.

Like hell he was going to answer. Focusing on his books once more, he tried to drown out the repeating vibrations of his phone; more texts from Taehyung. He didn't want to see them, so he put his phone on silent and turned it over. He stumbled over to his bed, throwing an arm over his eyes.

He was so tired of this, tired of Taehyung's games. When it came to relationships, the other person had to be either in or out, there was no middle ground. And it definitely seemed like Taehyung was out on this one.

Jungkook woke up the next morning, still fully-clothed with a terrible taste in his mouth from forgetting to brush his teeth the night before. He stretched, feeling several bones popping because of the tension; he must have slept wrong.

He picked up his phone that was still lying face down on his desk, surprised to see that the battery had died sometime during the night. "Jesus," he muttered. How many times did Taehyung try to reach him last night?

He didn't want to know. He plugged it in the wall charger, opting to leave rather than find out how many notifications would pop up once it regained a little power.

 

 

Five missed calls and nine text messages. Taehyung left one voicemail, but Jungkook didn't think he could stomach listening to it.

 

 

​I miss you, Jeon Jungkook.

Jungkook missed him too, but he wouldn't admit that to himself. He chose to distract himself with video games and long runs in the park that ended with him wheezing for breath because of the cold air. The pain in his lungs was nothing if it distracted him from the thoughts in his head.

 

 

​Please, Jungkook, just hear me out.

Taehyung's name was open in his contact list. Jungkook's finger hovered over the delete button for five minutes before he sighed and put his phone in his pocket.

He was tired of hearing people out. He just wanted someone to listen.

 

 

​New Year's Eve, Jungkook. Remember? I promised to take you out for drinks.

​What was the point now, though? Three weeks. Jungkook hadn't answered him in three weeks, and yet Taehyung was still trying. Trying what, Jungkook didn't know. All he knew was that the elder had made it very clear that he didn't want to be with Jungkook, that he just wanted to be friends.

Jungkook wasn't good at the whole 'friendship' thing.

 

 

​I'll be on the tram where we first met at quarter to midnight. I hope you'll come, Kookie. Please come.

​Should he go? He almost wanted to. Almost.

But maybe he shouldn't. Maybe Taehyung just wanted to humiliate him, to rub it in his face that he definitely wasn't in love with the younger. Maybe he'd just feel pity towards Jungkook. He hated the thought of that. Maybe he wouldn't show up. Jungkook would be that loser standing alone on New Year's Eve, waiting for a love that wasn't going to show.

"That's stupid, Jungkook."

The youngest threw a glare towards his best friend, who was currently typing away at an essay that was due in two days. Jimin had never been one to do homework early.

"Jimin has a point, kiddo. You know that's not going to happen, right?" Jungkook wanted to tell Hoseok to shove it, but he was his hyung, so he wasn't allowed. What did Hoseok know, anyway? He and Jimin were completely in love, even if they kept it a "secret" (Jungkook secretly enjoyed watching the pair squirm as they tried to hide the fact that they were, in fact, a couple).

"I don't know, hyung," the youngest muttered. "He disappointed me once before, I wouldn't be surprised if he did again."

Jimin pursed his lips in thought, looking away from his laptop screen. "I don't think so, Kook. You wouldn't fall for someone like that, I know you."

"Yeah, maybe he just needed some time to think. I'm sure he had his reasons, Jungkook," Hoseok mused. "Doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?"

"This was his second chance, Hoseok."

"My point is," Hoseok continued, "it can't hurt to give him another chance."

Jimin smiled and nodded, agreeing with his boyfriend. "Worse comes to worse, you can come cry on my shoulder again. Sure, maybe you'll get hurt. But maybe you won't. Isn't it worth finding out?"

 

It was worth it, apparently. Jungkook found himself catching his breath, hands on his knees, standing at the staircase above the tram they had agreed to meet at. It was past quarter to; he was late, and his nerves were going haywire.

He took the stairs by two on the way down, nearly tripping a few times, before he came to the open walkway. It was filled with people, going to and coming from parties for the new year. He couldn't see Taehyung anywhere.

Until he felt a soft tug on his arm. Turning around, he was left breathless at the sight of Taehyung, soft lavender hair styled away from his forehead, in black from head to toe, with a cautious look on his face. He was gorgeous, as always.

Jungkook resented that fact.

Taehyung led Jungkook back up the stairs and into the streets. It was much colder up there, but at least they had some space.

"Thanks for showing up, Jungkook." Taehyung's voice was tired, strained. Like the elder had been struggling as much as he had the past few weeks. The younger didn't want to think about that. All he thought about were the weeks he spent alone, the weeks he spent mulling over why the elder idn't like him back.

"What did you want to talk about, Taehyung?" He purposely left out 'hyung.' He didn't deserve that title anymore, not after the way things were left the last time they talked.

"I feel like , Jungkook. I'm so sorry."

There it was. Jungkook felt a lump form in his throat and willed his eyes not to tear up. The pity he was worried about, was that what he came for? "I don't want to hear it, Taehyung. You don't like me back, you made that very clear last time." He couldn't help the icy tone that crept into his voice. "If you came here because you felt sorry for me, you can save it. You don't have to do that, and you don't have to see me again."

"Jungkook, no. God, I..." Taehyung took a deep breath, eyebrows pulled together at the middle. "I wanted to explain myself last time, I really did. I just didn't get the chance."

The younger shifted on his feel, shoving his hands in his jacket pockets. He let out a puff of air that decorated the air in front of him, looking anywhere but at Taehyung. "Fine, here's your chance."

The elder smiled sadly, nodding. "You asked me the last time why I wasn't... Why I didn't touch you anymore. I really wanted to explain, Jungkook, but it was too complicated." Jungkook raised one eyebrow, prompting Taehyung to continue.

"I couldn't hug you because I was afraid that it would mean something different for me. I thought I shouldn't hold your hand because... because I wouldn't want to let you go, and you wouldn't want that. I was afraid, Jungkook. I was scared you wouldn't feel the same way, and I didn't want to ruin what we had."

"But hyung, you knew I liked you. You knew that," Jungkook countered.

Taehyung let out a weak laugh. "I didn't know that, Jungkook. I was always joking around about that, but I never really thought... But then, when it really did seem like you felt the same way about me, I got scared."

"Scared?" Jungkook asked, surprised. "Why would that scare you?" Maybe the thought of actually being with him was scary, he thought. He did have that kind of personality that kept people away after all. Jungkook started to feel more negative, choosing to glare at the ground.

"You're too young, Jungkook."

"You're two years older than me, hyung, you can't really call me young," Jungkook complained.

Taehyung shook his head with a small smile. "That's not it. You're underage--"

"Not after tonight, I'm not," Jungkook cut in.

"--and you don't know what you're getting into." Taehyung gave him a look, daring him to cut him off again. "You've never been in a relationship before, you told me that. Let alone a relationship with another guy."

Taehyung ran a hand through his hair, shuffling on his feet. "People like me get judged when they're with the person they love, Jungkook. Every day, we get glared at. People spit insults at us, ostracize us. They even go as far as to physically hurt us. And I'm fine with that. I'm used to it. But you can't possibly want that Jungkook, not when you have a chance at being in a normal relationship."

Jungkook stared at the older student for a moment, a strange happiness filling up his chest, shaking his head in bewilderment. That was what he was worried about? It wasn't that he didn't like Jungkook back, then?

"You're an idiot, Taehyung. You know that?"

The elder raised his eyebrows, visibly shrinking with the drop of his shoulders, so Jungkook continued, a seemingly out of place smile stuck on his face. "I get that you're too noble or whatever to be with a minor. I respect that. But I thought you were smarter than this, seriously."

"Jungkook..." Taehyung's voice was nearly drowned out by the sounds of hundreds of people starting to count down to the new year. 10, 9, 8... Pretty soon, fireworks would light up the city before people would part ways, some going out to party more, others turning in for the night. Jungkook didn't want to waste any more time, not when he was running out.

7, 6... "I'm not much of a people person anyway, hyung. You know that."

"Jungkook, please think about this," Taehyung warned, voice wavering. 5, 4... Jungkook could see the elder's resolve visibly weaken.

"I'm in love with you, Kim Taehyung." 3, 2... "I don't care what anyone else thinks. I just want to be with you."

Taehyung's eyes flickered between Jungkook's as the crowd counted down the last seconds of the year, looking him deep in the eye with more emotion than he'd ever seen in someone's eyes before. Suddenly, the crowd grew louder with shouts and whistles, Happy New Year's, some people wrapping each other in hugs, others just enjoying the view of the fireworks that started.

Taehyung took that moment of commotion to lean into Jungkook, softly brushing their lips together in an innocent yet loving kiss. The younger found his hands reaching up, tugging Taehyung closer by his warm scarf, pressing himself closer and closer to the elder until there was nothing left between them. He couldn't believe it was happening, and he laughed into the kiss, tickling the elder's lips.

Taehyung pulled away after a few moments, a blissed-out smile on his face, and Jungkook swore he had never looked that beautiful before that moment, cheeks flushed, lavender hair reflecting soft moonlight and the fireworks. The younger was left completely breathless as a warmth spread throughout his entire body. God, was Jungkook in love.

And so, apparently, was Taehyung.

 

"Happy New Year, Jeon Jungkook."

 


A/N: I dunno how I feel about this guys, it seems too short. I didn't want to leave them unhappy for too long, I suppose x)

Anyhow, sorry that took so long, I was struggling to find a way to end this. Hope you liked it, and thanks as always for reading!

Also! I have a new story that I'm going to start posting soon, once I have all the details worked out. It's a YoonMin soulmate AU that I'm super super excited for :) So head on over and subscribe if you'd like, I'd much appreciate the support!