Prologue

Counting the Days

"Yong Sun, do you have an ideal type?" Moonbyul scooted close to Solar who shot her a weird look but she answered her anyway. 

"Someone who has to be funny," She said and took a look at the person beside her. "And not greasy." 

Moonbyul narrowed her eyes and tilted her head slightly to the left. "Why does it seem like the second point is targeted at me." 

Solar burst out laughing and hit Moonbyul's shoulder. "So you admit you're greasy?" 

"Am not." Moonbyul rubbed her shoulder and sulked. 

"Alright, alright, you're not. Why did you ask anyway?" 

"Oh, nothing, just asking, you know, in case I know of someone..." Moonbyul trailed off, sipping her coffee. 

Tapping her fingers on against the desk, Solar thought out loud, "If that's the case... what's your ideal type?"

They were seated on the bench by the beach, coffees in their hands. Moonbyul took a quick glance at her best friend and kept her head down, hiding her smile.

"Well?" Solar asked, wondering why Moonbyul was not answering her. "Are you shy?"

Moonbyul rolled her eyes and gently nudged the person who just in protest. "What is there to be shy about? My ideal type... let's see. Someone who has to be bright, smart, caring and uh... well, basically someone who just smiles a lot." 

As expected, Moonbyul looked up to see Solar smiling at her. 

"That isn't too difficult I guess." Solar crossed her arms in front of her chest and stared into the endless vast of waters. 

Unknowingly, Moonbyul found herself staring at Solar and had a sense of dejavu. Couple of years back, they were sitting by the beach, imagining how their first love would be like and they fell into a comfortable silence. This time, something was a little different though, Moonbyul was sure of it. 

She could hear the beating of her heart, slow and steady, but gradually quickening as the time she stared at her best friend passed by. 

"Byul yi?" With that call, Moonbyul returned to earth. "You're spacing out again. You've been doing that quite often lately. Is anything bothering you?"

Moonbyul shook her head and hands, denying it straightaway, "No, nothing is bothering me. I'm fine, really."

Being best friends for as long as both of them could remember, Solar did not believe in what Moonbyul said, of course. "As if. I've known you for... what? 10 years? Or was it 11? Anyway, the thing is don't bother lying to me, just tell me."

The truth is, there will always be some things you can never tell your best friend. For example, the fact that you're in love with her.

Moonbyul nervously took a sip of her coffee again. "Oh, it's nothing, just a bit stressed up, you know with work and all other things."

"Well, always remember I'm here for you." Solar took Moonbyul's hand into her own and patted it lightly. "It's getting late, we should get back home, there's work tomorrow."

Moonbyul nodded in response as they stood up, their hands never separated and she secretly hoped that, even years after, those hands will never leave hers.