The Past

Blood and Ties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Why does my father have to be such a ing , I’ll deal with this issue another day Myungsoo thought to himself as he entered his car. He threw the manila envelope on the vacant passenger seat. He sat for a minute thinking about how his day went from absolutely wonderful because of meeting the handsome and bubbly young man at the cafe to from having to go through another one of these dances for dominance with his father. He started up the engine and left, driving towards his apartment.

His father had never been a good man, he would leave a young Myungsoo and his mother alone for days at a time attending to ‘business’ affairs. Coward, he thought. We all know about your affair with your secretary. Before his father had become a member of the senate, he inherited his own father’s newspaper company. His family came from a long line of money. He still ran the newspaper company with an iron visit but he had delegated part of the responsibility to Myungsoo’s mother who accepted the offer gracefully as part of a deal to keep quiet about the affair. Myungsoo knew she was unhappy but he also knew that she too had a craving for political power and would let her husband’s behavior slide as long as she would have a say.

To outsiders, his family was picture perfect. His father and his mother met at the prestigious Seoul National University, both coming from Korea’s old money. Myungsoo attended their alma mater but got their on his own accord, not on bribe money.

He reminisced back to the day his father told him he was running for Senate. It was a dreary Sunday afternoon and his parents had just arrived home. They sent the maid fetch him from his room and bring him down into the living room. When he entered he felt a change in the air, it was weird seeing his parents sitting together or even being in the same room together. It was almost unheard of. He sat on the couch opposite of them and looked up expectantly, surely this is going to be the day they tell me they are getting a divorce, he thought.

“Myungsoo,” his father began, “I’m going to need you to be on your best behavior these next months. You see, I’m running for Senate and I cannot have my son acting on his… desires,” his father spat the word out. “I won’t have you ruin my chances, do you hear me?”

Myungsoo was at a loss for words, his face be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter