Chapter 1

Blood and Ties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sungjong please be more careful next time!" Hoya warned as he picked up the shards of glass from the steaming hot puddle of tea. Sungjong felt slightly dizzy due to a lack of sleep had almost tripped over his own two feet, dropping a customer's drink in the process. Hoya was closeby and decided to fix up the mess, sending Sungjong off remake the item. 

 

"Well, if you told me beforehand that I would be working an 6 hour shift after school, I would've tried to get more sleep! It's not my fault I'm nauseated from 16 hours of non-stop work," Sungjong shot back. He ran his hand through his hair, today was a horrible day. His grades at uni were slipping and they were two months behind on rent for the cafe and their shoebox of an appartment. He was bound to crack, life was too grueling. 

Money was of the essence at the Lee household. It was needed to pay for tuition, it was needed for cafe supplies and for rent. Money was what made the world go round and Sungjong hated it. He hated its existence but knew it was something he and Hoya so desperately needed to survive.

Hoya and Sungjong were brothers. Their parents had met at uni in the 80's and fell in love. A few years later and one mortgage down, they had Hoya and two years after that, they had Sungjong. They cherished their children and taught them the importance of family and hardwork. They were a family of dreamers. Their parents believed in the marrow out of life, that adventure is always around the next corner. They believed that although time was fleeting, you could live forever in a moment of adventure.

When Hoya was five and Sungjong was just a mere age of three, their parents quit their jobs and left Gwangju. Although they were upper-middle class and both had well paying jobs in Gwanju, they were unhappy at their state of living, particularly the staleness of life in the countryside. At Hoya's and Sungjong's insistence of wanting to see the big city, they sold the house and some furniture choosing only to keep the necessities, packed their clothes and headed to Seoul for a fresh start. They moved into a modest 2-story apartment complex with an out of business restaurant just below. With the money they saved, their parents opened their cafe, Infinite Possibili-teas. They lived a happy and fairytaleesque life during their first couple years in Seoul.

It was last year on Sungjong's birthday when tragedy struck, their parents were walking home from Coex Mall, present in hand, when a group of men attempted to rob them. Thinking the couple would comply, the robbers saw them as easy targets. A fight insued and the two parents were left fatally injured.

At their parents passing, Hoya dropped out of school to run their family cafe. He had given up his dream of owning a dance studio in order to support himself and his younger brother. Making ends meet was difficult, in addition to running the cafe, Hoy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter