Prologue

Wolf Moon

     When the skies and the grounds were one, the legends, through their twelve forces, nurtured the tree of life. An eye of red force created the evil which coveted the heart of tree of life, and the heart slowly grew dry. To tend and embrace the heart of tree of life, the legends hereby divide the tree in half and hide each side. Hence, time is over-turned and space turns askew. The twelve forces divide into two and create two suns that look alike into two worlds that seem alike. The legends travel apart. The legends shall now see the same sky but shall stand on different grounds, shall stand on the same ground but shall see different skies. The day the grounds be kept a single file before one sky in two worlds that seem alike, the legends will greet each other. The day the red force is purified, the twelve forces will reunite into one perfect root, a new world shall open up.

     It was an old story, one that mothers told to their children at night just like any other fairytale. But for twelve highschool boys, this was far more than just a fairytale. For these twelve boys, it was a prophecy and a promise, even if they did not yet realize the truth of it or the meaning it held them. Invisible forces would pull these boys together, leading them into an intricate tale of magic and war, of love and of hatred, and of ancient lies and of equally ancient truths. The time has finally come for the legends of old to finally come to bear, and these twelve highschoolers have been swept up in it, their fates so tightly woven together that they can never be seperated -- even if they may wish that they could be.


     "Come on, already, Hyunnie! You're so slow!"

     "Wait up, Jae! You know I can't run as fast as you!"

     "But Minnie is so far ahead already! Come on! We have to catch up!"

     The first boy, who had platinum blonde hair and blue eyes that sparkled in the evening light, stood atop a hill, looking down at his brother. The latter of the two blew his light brown hair out of his face as he dashed up the hill to stand beside his brother, who pointed down towards the woods where the silhouette of their friend could be seen.

     "Come on! Lets go already!"

     "Alright, alright, Jae! Go then!"

     The two boys took off after him, but when they reached the small stream in the woods where they had agreed to meet, their friend was no where to be found. A few moments later, a small, silver-colored wolf pup made its way out of the trees. The brothers exchanged a frightened glance before turning and running back to the village where they lived. Despite the search parties sent out, no one could find their young friend. Several days later, a young boy was found at the edge of a city, covered in bruises and scratches. Their only clue to his identity was a series of scratches on his left wrist that read "I am Xiumin".


     "Hyung, I feel weird..."

     The two young boys sat alone in one small corner of the orphanage, their bodies pressed close together in the fading light. The elder of the two looked at his friend now, frowning a little and letting his silver and pearly white amulet fall from his fingers.

     "What do you mean?"

     "I dunno... I just feel kinda... warm and... tingly."

     The slightly elder boy nodded in understanding. "You're never gonna believe this," he murmured, "but I feel the same way right now."

     "Why? What does it mean?" The younger boy was fiddling with his own amulet - much like Lu's but silver and gold, and the elder smiled at the action.

     "I dunno, baby..."

     They leaned against each other in silence for a few minutes before a soft, silver light enveloped then for only a few seconds. In the morning, the two boys were gone. All that remained to indicate that they had ever been there was a patched, worn brown blanket and several drops of blood. Twelve days later, two boys were found at the edge of a forest. Both were covered in bruises, and both had scratches on their left wrists that read, respectively, "I am Luhan" and "I am Sehun".


     A young boy sat by himself in a dark closet, clutching a silver and black amulet on a silver chain to his chest. Despite the two closed doors and the distance that stood between them, he could still here his parents fighting in their bedroom. There were raised voices and occasionally a sound of something breaking, as if someone was throwing things. He whimpered softly as the voices grew louder, pressing himself closer to the corner in the closet. He hated it when his parents fought. He just wished- He wished that it would all end; that someone or something would come along and end all of this. Suddenly, a soft silver light began to glow around the boy. His eyes widened in shock and fear, but seconds later the glow was gone. Later, they boy would have no memory of this night, or of several nights after that. He woke to find himself in a hospital about a week later, the doctors baffled and his parents just glad that he was awake. The only thing that remained of those lost nights was a fleeting dream - or perhapse a memory - of trees and wolves and softly glowing silver lights, the sensation of running free without any worries or cares at all, and a series of scratches on his left wrist that read "I am Kai".


     The mansion was huge. People constantly passed it, sometimes stopping to stare and sometimes just whispering as they walked. "How lucky," they would say. "How lucky that family is." "They must be so happy." But the child who lived there - a young boy - was far from happy. His parents were constantly forcing him to do things that he didn't want to do. "You must always be on your best behavior. Don't do anything that might disgrace the family name. Always be polite. Do not mingle with commoners, but do not be rude to them. You must keep your grades up. You must be the top of your class." He had had enough. He left, walking out of the house one night and just walking around town aimlessly. Suddenly everything flashed silver then went black. He woke up several days later in th office of his family's private doctor, covered in bruises and with scratches on his left arm that read, "I am Chen."


     He hated being alone. But there was no avoiding the fact that he was, in fact, alone. He almost always had been. He should be used to it by now, he supposed, but he still hated it just as much as he had the first time. He sighed softly, curling himself up in a ball on his bed. Words couldn't describe how much he hated this. All he wanted was for this to be over. She had promised... she had promised that she would come back, that she wouldn't leave him. She had promised that he would never be alone. But now here he was. It was dark, and cold, and he was frightened. Then, out of nowhere, he began to see a faint silver glow. The glow grew brighter and more intense, then suddenly flashed brilliant white. After that, everything went black. It was several days before he was found, miles from his father's home, covered in bruises and with scratches on his wrist that read, "I am Tao".


     Life had never been particularly difficult for him. He had always had food on his table, clothes on his back, a roof over his head, and a warm bed to sleep in at night. He didn't have the fanciest clothes or expensive toys, but he that had never really mattered to him. He was warm and well fed, and he was happy. But all of that changed when his father died. Everything changed after that. His mother began ill, and the next thing he knew he was shipped off to live with his mother's best friend. But he didn't get there. He was found by a pond by his parent's home several days later, covered in bruises and with scratches on his wrist that read, "I am Baekhyun."


     His life had always been easy. His parents loved him and supported him in everything that he wanted to do. He could have anything and everything that he had ever wanted and all he had to do was ask for it. But all of that changed when all of a sudden he was told that the child of his mother's best friend would be coming to live with them. His family moved to a new house, far away from all of his friends and everything they had ever known. Suddenly he couldn't have everything that he wanted.  Money became tighter, he had to share his room, and his parents attention was focused more on this new kid than it was on him. He disappeared from his parents new house, and was found several days later by the house where they had lived previously. He was covered in bruises and there was scratches on his wrist that read, "I am Chanyeol".


     Things would never be quite the same after his mother died. He knew that from the very beginning, though he was very young when it happened. He had never met his father, and he didn't want to. He had grown quite used to his life with his mother and somehow he knew that the changes that were to come were not good changes. It took months to even find him, and that was the only clue that he needed. His father did not want him, and he did not want his father either. On the night before the day he was supposed to go to his father, he disappeared from the orphanage where he was being kept. He was not found until several days later, his body covered in bruises and small cuts. And on his wrist there were scratches that read, "I am Lay".


     He was everything his parents had ever wanted. He was smart and more important even than that, he was a strong, healthy boy. And that was all his parents cared about. He was their heir, their pride and joy. He was given anything and everything that he wanted - anything money could buy belonged to him if he wanted it. But there was one thing that his parents failed to give him: love. Finally he snapped. He was tired of the rules, tired of being ignored. He left the house that night, but he did not return like he planned to. His body turned up by the edge of a river several days later, covered in bruises and with scratches on his wrist that read, "I am Suho".


     He hated it. He hated the fact that everyone else had everything they wanted. Everyone complained about their lives, saying that it was so difficult or that they didn't have this or they didn't have that. But no one knew. No one understood what it was like to really hurt. None of the pathetic wimps that surrounded him knew what it was like to actually have a difficult life. They were all sick. He hated this. No one could understand, no one would even try. He hated them, all of them. Why couldn't they understand? Why didn't they even try to understand? Would they even notice if he disappeared? That question especially echoed in his mind. Would they noticed? But he would never find out if they noticed or not, because he would not be returning to that school, that building, ever again. His body was found miles from there several days later, covered in bruises. There were scratches on his wrist that read, "I am D.O".


     He sat alone in the park a few miles from his house, starting up at the sky in mild curiosity.

     "A Wolf Moon, " he whispered, his voice hardly louder than a soft breath of air in the silent night. "That explains it then."

     The boy stood and walked away, letting his legs carry him down the road and towards the forest and letting his fingers dance across the silver and green amulet at his chest. He would not returned home that night. And despite the hundreds of search parties sent out to find him, he would not return to this place again. He could not explain how, but he knew. He knew that it would be him who was claimed tonight. And no one claimed of the Wolf Moon would ever be seen again once they were taken. The only clue that the police would find in there serches were a series of scratches on the trunk of a tree at the edge of the forest that read, "I am Kris".


     Though they would be questioned, none of the boys could remember what had happened to them. After about a month, no one remembered that anything unsual had happened. The boys went on the grow up, leading normal lives. But when each of them enrolled in the Seoul Institute for Gifted Students, old secrets began to resurface and ancient forces began to stir, twisting the boys' fates together until they were completely and totally inseperable: until 12 had become 1.


A/N

So

Hi. This is a rewirte of a story that I started a while back, so no one freak out, kay? ^^

But I figured it would just be easier to completely rewrite the story (since I've changed it so many times since I originally posted it), as opposed to trying to edit it and find all the things that don't match up and make everything connect in a way that makes sense. I've also changed chapter layouts, like, 10 times, so I'm just gonna start over fresh. ^^

Hihi to all my new readers ^^ I hope you guys enjoy the story ^^

Lots of love guys. And remember, comments inspire me ^^ Please feel free to offer feedback or criticism. I make a lot of mistakes since I tend to just post without making a draft of doing grammar checks or anything ^^" So please let me know if you notice something wrong and I'll fix it right away ^^

See you guys next chapter ^^