Summer Romance

It's Just Life

First one is Junhong/Jongup but mainly focused on Junhong's feelings through this. The others will be less romantic but there wasn't a whole lot I could do with a prompt like 'summer romance' and not make it romantic, you know?

And yes, it's prewritten, that's why I was able to upload it so fast :)


It had happened more times than Junhong would’ve cared to admit.

 

“You need to put yourself out there, Junhong,” his friend Himchan had told him. “Be daring! People like daring. They like others being bold, making the first move.”

 

“But I’m not bold,” Junhong had whined back. “And I can’t make the first move.”

 

“Well why not?”

 

“Because I’m me!”

 

Himchan didn’t have a comeback for that one so they had let it go.

 

But now it was once again summer and once again another year where Junhong had seen each of his friends fall in love and get their heart broken while he was there with a listening ear and tissues. He hadn’t really experienced anything like that but he just nodded and let them rant and cry.

 

He’s liked people of course, but never anything serious. Not since in fifth grade when that person found out, he had to deal with it until they moved away

three years later. After being in the same classes of course because Junhong just couldn’t catch a break.

 

It didn’t help that compared to all his friends, he was the youngest and (at least he thought) the most replaceable. He was smart, but not as smart as Yongguk, attractive but not as much as Himchan, more of a rapper than singer but still couldn’t compare to Youngjae and Daehyun (both for singing).

 

And while they seemed to go through relationships like clothes, he was always stuck in the back.

 

But this year was going to be different.

 

As cheesy as it was, Junhong ended up meeting someone at a coffee shop. Why they were getting coffee in the heat of summer Junhong doesn’t know but Himchan and Daehyun had insisted so he followed them into the small Starbucks located on a corner near his house. He never goes, not much for coffee, so he lets the hyungs order for him.

 

The boy behind the counter is cute, a little short but his arm game is on point, thinks Junhong. They meet eyes and Junhong looks away, his cheeks warming. His hyungs are doing all the talking and he feels stupid and small and keeps his gaze on the floor the whole time.

 

“I hope you like caramel, Junhongie,” Himchan sing-songs.

 

“Who doesn’t like caramel?” asks Daehyun, almost scandalized that such a person could exist.

 

“I do like it,” says Junhong quietly, and that’s enough to satisfy Himchan as he orders from the boy, saying some nonsense that Junhong can’t quite catch.

 

“I’m going to the bathroom,” says Himchan decisively and Daehyun gets up to follow him, handing their phones and keys to Junhong.

 

“I’m not your servant,” the younger whines but Daehyun just ruffles his hair, leaving Junhong alone near the counter.

 

He frowns to himself, looking outside. It’s sunny, a nice summer day with a breeze blowing the leaves out of place on the trees.

 

“You’re Himchan?”

 

“Huh?” Junhong looks up to see the boy from earlier near the counter, three drinks in front of him and smiling kindly at Junhong. His smile is really nice. He’s a lot shorter than Junhong thought at first but that could just be because Junhong is just really tall (another thing to add to his ever-growing list of insecurities).

 

But then what he said clicks and Junhong flushes. “Oh no, I’m just- I’ll take it though and you saw-uh…”

 

The boy chuckles and picks the drinks up, stepping around the counter and setting them on a nearby table with a few stools. “You look like you have your hands full.”

 

“I’m okay, they just left me all of their stuff.” Junhong pouts, putting the things down next to the drinks. “But thank you.”

 

“So if your name isn’t Himchan, what is it?”

 

“Junhong.”

 

“Junhong…” The boy (Junhong now sees his nametag reads Jongup) says Junhong’s name carefully, like he’s weighing each letter. “Does that name come with a number?”

 

“What?” That’s the cheesiest line in the book but Junhong will take it. “How do I know you’re not a serial killer?”

 

Okay. So he’s not much for flirting.

 

Surprisingly, Jongup laughs again and it’s like windchimes. Junhong wouldn’t mind listening to it again. “Well there’s only one way to find out, isn’t there?”

 

“Um…”

 

“You’re cute, Junhong.”

 

That’s it. Junhong is going to be bold, even if it gets him nowhere. He takes his phone and hands it to Jongup, looking at a spot over his shoulder. “Put it in. And text yourself.”

 

Jongup smiles and accepts the phone, typing his number in. Junhong’s heart is beating fast and his cheeks feel like they’re burning and he wonders just where the heck are his hyungs?

 

“Text me later when you get home, okay?” Jongup says with a smile (he never stops smiling, Junhong decides). Junhong nods before Jongup is called

away back to the register.

 

Junhong’s eyes flicker between his phone and the other boy, almost in disbelief. These things only happen in movies. How could it have just happened?

 

Himchan and Daehyun slither up to his side, wearing identical smirks. They had watched the whole thing from afar.

 

“Not bold, are you?” Himchan says teasingly.


 

It’s almost like Junhong is living in a dream.

 

The next couple days, he and Jongup having been texting nonstop, the other had asked him out on a date. Nothing fancy, just ice cream (much better for summer than coffee) but to Junhong thinks it’s perfect.

 

The play twenty questions, which is much easier in person than texting. Junhong finds out Jongup’s older than him, his favorite color is teal but it has to be certain kind of teal, he actually hates the smell of coffee but he works because he needs the money and he’s been dancing for years.

 

“You’re really cute, Junhong,” says Jongup when they’re finished and walking back to the care and Junhong flushes because no one’s ever called him cute

in such an endearing way.

 

It becomes a usual thing.

 

Jongup picks Junhong up and does all the cheesy things one always reads about in books when summer romance is at finest.

 

They go to the beach for a day (accompanied by a couple of friends from each side because Himchan had been reluctant to have Junhong go by himself with a boy he just met, no matter how cute but Junhong had made them go in separate cars, unsure he could stand the embarrassment).

 

Junhong had never liked how he looked like in a bathing suit but Jongup’s eyes were kind and he thinks maybe he could get used to it. Of course, he couldn’t help but to stare at Jongup’s impressive muscles that could never been seen under a shirt.

 

He thinks he’s even luckier than he first thought.

 

Jongup takes him to an amusement park on another day, when it’s not too hot but the sun is shining and blinding and they stop for water more often than they should.

 

Junhong lets his inner kid run wild and drags Jongup onto every ride they pass. He finds out he’s much more into roller coasters than Jongup but the elder deals with them because Junhong loves them.

 

Nothing about him is more attractive than that.

 

There are fireworks at the end of the day, when the park is closing and Jongup kisses him then, under the night sky ablaze with light and Junhong can’t breathe.

 

At Jongup’s insistence, they go hiking one day. Junhong hates it but he bites back any comments he has because Jongup loves the outdoors and nature and yeah, it could be kind of cool to climb a mountain.

 

It wasn’t at all and Junhong makes a mental note to never do it again. He’s tired and thirsty and feels like his legs are going to fall off.

 

But the view is spectacular. It’s even better when Jongup looks over, his face sweaty but smiling and widely and beating any old mountain view and kisses him again. Jongup’s lips are chapped and he’s hot but it’s only Junhong’s second kiss so he swallows it whole and commits it to memories.

 

They hang out at the pool a lot because Jongup used to be a lifeguard there and still gets to sneak in because his friends work there. Junhong notices how many people are staring at Jongup in appreciation and he can’t help but feel maybe they’re better off with him than Junhong is.

 

Already Jongup knows what’s going on with Junhong before he says it and waves it all away with some sweet words and kisses.

 

“But hyung, they’re all staring at you,” points out Junhong, his eyes accusing. Jongup merely laughs and shakes his head, splashing some water at Junhong

affectionately, the start of a splash fight.

 

“No Junhongie, they’re all staring at you.”

 

Junhong thinks he’s not much to stare at, especially when the next day they’re making flower crowns for each other in the middle of a large field a stone’s throw from Jongup’s house.

 

“I normally come out here during the summer,” Jongup explains as he expertly weaves daisies together to make a beautiful crown. “But it’s a lot more fun when you’re here.” He smiles at Junhong, making butterflies take flight in his stomach as he looks down at his own clumsily tied together flower crown.

 

But Jongup wears it proudly anyway.

 

They have a picnic in that meadow soon after. It’s always been one of Junhong’s hidden dreams to have a picnic in a large flower meadow with a lover and he knows it’s cheesy but he finds he doesn’t care.

 

And Jongup did it so well, with a checkered blanket and strawberry shortcake and just every cliche thing one could have and Junhong wonders if this is what love is.

 

He’d never know because the next day, Jongup takes him out for a drive. It’s nice, the top of Jongup’s convertible down and the wind blowing through their hair and Junhong raising his arms above his head pretending to fly as they go down little-used roads filled with the occasional farm and fences and lots of grass.

 

“You’re leaving for vacation soon, right?” asks Jongup once they’ve parked at the dead end of one sandy road, just looking out over the ledge a few feet away.

 

Junhong nods, his eyes on the field below them. He hears Jongup sigh but doesn’t look at him.

 

“Maybe we should end things here.”

 

“What?” Junhong whips his neck around to see Jongup looking sad for once, no trace of that beautiful smile anywhere. “Why?” It’s not like he’s leaving

forever. Just two weeks to Japan to visit his cousins. Certainly not something worth breaking up over.

 

But Junhong just knew it was too good to be true. Summer romance can last only so long and his made it pretty far before the heat has started to fade.

 

“I really like you, Junhong. I don’t want it to end either but-” Jongup rakes his hands through his hair in frustration and Junhong doesn’t know what to say.

 

So he doesn’t say anything and just kisses him, softly, the only way he knows how. He’s never initiated the kiss before so he doesn’t know if he’s doing it right but the way Jongup sighs into his mouth he thinks he’s doing decently.

 

They break away but not apart and there’s no talk of leaving each other again.

 

They swim at night later, at a lake near Youngjae’s house. Junhong had insisted they park the car away from the house so his friend wouldn’t see and

question him about it later.

 

Stripping down to their boxers, they race through the prickly grass down to the water’s edge. Junhong pauses, not quite ready to get in the water but

Jongup throws himself into the soft waves. He gestures to Junhong to come out and join him and not wanting to disappoint, Junhong plunges in after his boyfriend.

 

He shrieks as the coldness but Jongup’s laughter warms him from the inside out and suddenly it’s not as bad as it was.

 

They kiss again, under the moonlight streaming through the trees and Junhong just knows that this is what love is.