Chapter 30

Protecting The One

Sunggyu motioned for L to head up to the rooftop after lunch, signaling that they need to talk but someone else at the lunch table caught their small notion.

 

As the two slipped away and headed up to the rooftop, the eavesdropper followed them as well, wondering why they were so secretive.

 

“L, you didn’t tell her right?” Sunggyu jumped straight to the point without beating around the bush.

 

“Hyung, I can’t bring myself to. She’s Hoya hyung’s girlfriend.”
 

The eavesdropper covered his mouth with his hands, as though by covering, he wouldn’t make a sound and stay hidden. *What has this got to do with Eunji?*

 

“You’ve been keeping this to yourself for a long long time. You’re only hurting yourself.”

 

“I… I thought I could do it, but no, I cannot do this to Hoya hyung. He’s my brother. As much as I love Eunji, I cannot do this to him. Neither can I put the girl I love in a spot.” L spoke with a fixed gaze on Sunggyu. He was determined to keep it a secret forever, or at least, until Eunji is single again.

 

Just then, there was a loud crash of metal. “Who’s there?” Sunggyu hurriedly ran to the entrance of the rooftop with L following behind. By the time they reached the stairs, the person was already gone. All that left was the dustbin the person has knocked over after eavesdropping.

 

--

 

“Are you sure you want to go? I mean, you were so against it before. I don’t want you to be unhappy about this dinner, if you’re not ready, we can always push it back.” Hoya said over the phone, which Eunji had put on speaker mode while choosing her outfit for the night. She had finally agreed to that dinner with Hoya’s family and tonight was the big night. Not just for her, but it meant a lot to Hoya as well. He cannot wait to show off his girlfriend to his family. His dad will love her, he was sure of it.

 

“Neh oppa, how may times must you ask me? Now if you will excuse me, I’m trying to look good for your family later tonight.” She held out a sleeveless white dress and compared it with a more formal black dress.

 

There was a chuckle at the end of the line and Hoya replied her, “okay, I can’t wait to see my beautiful girl looking her best later. I’ll get Minhyuk hyung to swing by and fetch you at seven?”

 

“Alright then! See you later oppa!” She blew a kiss into the phone and hung up. Still comparing dresses, she couldn’t make up her mind as to which one was better.

 

“Aish, this won’t do.” Eunji immediately went to type away in her phone, calling for help to save her for her very important date tonight. Within a matter of minutes, her help has arrived on her doorstep, which she hurriedly went to open the door for.

 

L had his hands in his pocket, as though he was reluctant to help her pick an outfit but inside, his heart was beating like crazy and he couldn’t wait to help her pick one. No, whatever she wears will look good on her, he was sure of it. Eunji pulled him into the living room and made him sit down on the couch.

 

“Oppa, just wait here.”

 

She then headed off to change into her dresses and she came out to show him one by one. From a black to a white and to a blue dress, even L couldn’t decide. Her beauty blinded his eyes and everything she wears looks amazing to him.

 

Eunji gave a pout as L was deciding. “Oppa faster, I still have to get ready!”

 

Pressure by her, L finally gave an answer. “Black looks too formal, blue looks too casual, so white is the best.” He even gave her the thumbs up. Honestly, L just liked seeing Eunji in white. She looked like an angel, his angel, or so he hopes. After which, she disappeared back into her own room to get ready but not before shouting to L, “thank you so much oppa!”

 

L smiled to himself and picked up a magazine to read. It was as though he was waiting for his date to get ready and that made him smile.

 

After about an hour or so, it was finally seven, which means Hoya was on his way with Minhyuk to fetch Eunji. Minhyuk had become Hoya’s sort-of-personal driver on top of being Mr Lee’s secretary. In fact, Mr Lee wanted Minhyuk to stay close to Hoya to protect him from whatever dangers.

 

Right on time, Hoya went up to ring the bell at Eunji’s house. However, it was not Eunji that came to the door.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“L!”

 

The two brothers gave each other a hug before L invited Hoya into the house. L immediately explained the situation about Eunji unable to decide on what to wear and had called him over to help out. He was worried that Hoya might take it the wrong way. Halfway through the explanation, a pretty girl came walking down the stairs.

 

Her white dress flowed and stopped mid thigh. It was not too long, neither was it too short; it was of a nice length to tease the boys. She wore light makeup, her rosy cheeks brings out the fairness of her skin and her tinted lips curved up into a smile as she saw her beloved boyfriend waiting for her in the living room. Eunji’s hair was curled nicely and her bangs were in place, not a single strand was out of place.

 

The two boys stared at her with their jaws dropped, eyes fixated on the prettiest girl they have ever seen in their lives. However, only one of them had the luxury of claiming her as his own. Eunji walked down the stairs and straight away went into Hoya’s embrace. She had even given him a peck on the lips, which caused L to turn away.

 

Taking her hand in his, Hoya smiled down at Eunji. “Shall we?”

 

She nodded and returned the smile. “Oppa, take care! I’ll be back even before you know it!” She called out to L who was still standing in the same spot.

 

“I’ll see you at night then.” L replied. He was serious about it. After she had spent time with Hoya, he wanted to just have a moment with her too, even if it will just be a best friend thing. He needed to. His mind is going crazy from thinking about her and he realized that Sunggyu was right after all. He needed to tell her, at least let her know how he felt. He needed to let it all out, so that he can stop hurting from inside, from within.

 

--

 

Hyeri was pacing back and forth. She was more worried about this dinner than anybody, even more worried than Eunji because all Eunji needed was just to spill the beans and everything will be her fault. All that she’s done to Eunji will be revealed. Her mom will kill her and her dad would disown her. They would be so disappointed to see that their daughter had turned out to be some school bully. “Andwae, andwae, they cannot know about this.” She kept chanting as she paced back and forth.

 

“Hyeri, what are you doing not getting ready?” Mrs Lee’s sudden appearance caught Hyeri by surprise and she jumped a little.

 

“Oh, I’ll go change now.” She said and made a dash up the stairs to get ready. “Otteokae!” She screamed in a high-pitched voice but loud enough just for her to hear.

 

When she was finally ready and prepared, she came down only to see Hoya and Eunji walking hand in hand. *Just the right time.* She stopped in front of the couple with folded arms, not knowing where the confidence came from when she was panicking just a minute ago.

 

Hoya held onto Eunji tighter than before just to make sure that she will be protected from Hyeri, who looked like she could devour Eunji up. “Hoya oppa, I just want to have a short exchange with Eunji, is that okay?” She had seemed polite, but her tone, more demanding.

 

Hoya was about to say no but he felt a tug at his elbow. “Oppa, I’ll be fine. Wait for me in there okay?” He turned to glare at Hyeri but if that’s what Eunji wanted, he’ll respect her decision.

 

“Don’t try anything funny.” And he walked straight in to the huge mansion, leaving the two girls alone.

 

After Hoya left, Hyeri took a step closer to Eunji, with a gaze so fierce that it seems like she wanted to deal with Eunji once and for all. “Listen up,” she cocked her head to one side arrogantly, “whatever you do tonight, don’t you dare talk about me in school. I’m giving you a warning.” Hyeri then her heels and walked away, not giving Eunji a chance to even retaliate.

 

“And if I don’t want to?” Eunji said out loud so that Hyeri could hear.

 

Without turning back, Hyeri gave a smirk, “don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

 

--

 

Dinner with the Lee’s was nothing like Eunji had expected. She thought it would be awkward and hard but surprisingly, Mr Lee had his way with people. Maybe that’s why he deserves to be the leader of one of the country’s leading corporations. He would ask her about her schoolwork, about her childhood and how she got to know Hoya, how long they have dated and he even mentioned about Song Jimin. It was indeed a touchy topic that Eunji didn’t want to go into, but Mr Lee made it easy for her to talk about her mother as though there was nothing wrong. Truthfully, she missed her mother. Her warm embrace, her home cooked food and even her constant nagging. She just missed her.

 

However, the other side of the table did make her feel a little uncomfortable. Lee Hyeri was sending death glares to her, warning her not to spill the beans and Mrs Lee had this pair of cold eyes that were unreadable. It was scary and it sent chills down her back. Hence, she never got to look straight into her eyes.

 

Despite that, Eunji did notice the similarities between Hoya and his father. They were strikingly similar in terms of the way they ate, how they liked their steak and even up to certain manners, they were similar. Eunji was happy for Hoya that he’s finally found his true identity. Not noticing it, her lips curled up into a small smile.

 

“What are you smiling at?” Mrs Lee questioned across the table that caused Eunji to freeze.

 

“Errr… n-nothing.” She gave an awkward smile in return and mentally cursed herself for not being more confident.

 

“So…” Mrs Lee started, causing everybody at the table to face her. “What do you think about Hoya’s future in America? Are you going to join him?”

 

There was a loud clang heard at the table. Nobody moved. Hoya’s eyes widened to the size of Sungjong’s or even bigger. Eunji sat frozen in place, trying to take in the information. Mr Lee, who had dropped his cutlery on the table, was furious. Angry with his wife for mentioning this again and for mentioning it right now, when they were having a nice dinner with Eunji.

 

“What are you doing?” He bellowed while he wiped the little bit of gravy off his lips. He could sure feel his blood boiling in rage.

 

Mrs Lee’s facial expression didn’t change. Not one bit. If she was intimidated at all by that sudden outburst, she sure hid it well. Hyeri, on the other hand, was more than shocked.

 

“I just want to know how she thinks about Howon leaving to such a faraway place. Is she able to cope with the long distance relationship?”

 

“Well, he’s not going.” Mr Lee stressed.

 

“Or is he?” Mrs Lee gave a creepy smile. It was as though she had planned something behind her husband’s back and nobody else knows what it is about. She gave Hoya a smile as well before continuing her dinner.

 

Eunji, on the other hand, was stunned. She was too distracted by Mrs Lee’s words to continue dinner. Little did she know, the devils words rang in her ears throughout the entire night. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Sorry for not updating on a friday like I ususally do becuase I went for Infinite Effect in SG yesterday!!!!! I'm so so so happy to see them live and I've even written a blog post about it on tumblr. 

But anyways, here's the update (like finally) and I hope you all enjoy this latest chapter! I wonder who the eavesdropper is..... HOHOHOHO (christmas is coming too btw I'm so excited) With finals coming in a week, I may or may not update this story next week :( I shall see how it goes but once my finals is over, I will definitely by updating more often and of course, I can't wait to share a new story with y'all. Yes, a new story is coming up, so be excited becuase I am!!!!!!! (PM me if you wanna read about my blog post and I'll send you the link to it. If you're interested in knowing what I felt. hahaha)