Chapter 24

Protecting The One

Hoya could feel the stares on him as he walked into school. By morning, students who have read the papers would’ve already known. The headlines were huge and the story was coming out in different papers as well. By lunchtime, the entire school knew that Hoya is the son of Lee Kyungwon and also the next heir to Lee Enterprise.

 

The infinite members tried to treat him the way they usually do but today, the atmosphere was different. Even the usual noisy Sungyeol kept his mouth shut though he really wanted to know how the event went yesterday.

 

“Guys, you can treat me normally you know. I’m still the Hoya you all know.” Hoya stated awkwardly. He knew the conversation would be awkward, heck he could even smell the awkwardness in the atmosphere.

 

Being the most reliable one, Sunggyu stood up all of a sudden. “Hoya’s right. We shouldn’t treat him differently because of his birth parents. We’re his best friends, so even if the others were to treat him differently, we should not.” Sunggyu was stunned by his own courage and slowly took a seat, noticing how everybody at the cafeteria was staring at him.

 

“You’re right.” Sungyeol cleared his throat, “so how did it go yesterday?” He directed the question towards Hoya.

 

Finally, the billion-dollar question is out. This is the moment everyone was waiting for. To know what really happened last night. Even Eunji stopped eating and glanced at the now silent Hoya.

 

Hoya looked around to see all his good friends all staring at him, wide eyed. “I… I…” And he took a deep breath before telling them everything. Except for his private conversation with Mrs Lee, everything was revealed. Mr Lee first apologized for his actions before marriage and acknowledges his very own son before introducing him on stage. He was also announcing the next heir of the company, which was Hoya. Of course, everybody was startled at the sudden revelation but they still came to congratulate him for being the next heir.

 

Finishing his story, the rest of the infinite members had their mouths wide open. Dongwoo even had a grain of rice stuck at the corner of his mouth but he was too distracted to notice. “Y-yah guys, stop staring.” Hoya shifted in his seat, uncomfortable from the others’ gaze.

 

Sunggyu then snapped his fingers, getting the others out of their trance and brought up another question to change the topic. It was enough bombs dropped in a day. Eunji poked her food, she felt like something was wrong. Something that Hoya isn’t telling them but she couldn’t point out what. *Just what is oppa hiding?*

 

L noticed her uneasiness and wanted to put his hand on hers to comfort her but he stopped himself halfway before his hands could touch hers. She wasn’t his girlfriend and he had to keep reminding himself that, which pains him the most.

 

After their lunch, the eight of them headed to their lockers to grab their books for the next lesson.

 

“I’m so dead I’m so dead I’m so dead! My history book is missing!” Sungyeol exclaimed as he rummaged through his entire locker and still couldn’t find his history book and he has history next period.

 

Out of courtesy, Hoya took out his own book and handed it over to Sungyeol. “Do remember to return.”

 

Sungyeol threw his arms around Hoya and thanked him infinitely for the history textbook, claiming how Hoya saved his sorry . Next to them, Eunji was done packing her stuff and getting books out when she saw Lee Hyeri and her two equally mean friends walking in her direction. Trust her to have such luck of meeting Hyeri at the hallways so damn often. The group suddenly went silent because Hyeri is now Hoya’s half-sister. No matter how much they disliked her, they’ll have to see how Hoya reacts to her first since he’s the one who shares the same father as her.

 

Hyeri walked confidently in their direction but something was different in her gaze. It was as though she gained more confidence than she already had and was killing people with her eyes, if looks could kill. For the second time, Hyeri had walked past L without batting an eyelash. She didn’t even send him a second glance but she kept her eyes fixed on Hoya.

 

Hoya looked straight into her eye, not wanting to lose this stare down battle but he couldn’t get anything out of it. Was she angry? Was she upset? What did she think about suddenly having a new brother? He couldn’t tell. Shocked by the fact that she didn’t even turn to face L, Hoya gulped. All she did was stare at him until she walked right past him. Immediately shifting her gaze to Eunji, she gave an unreadable expression as well. Eunji was prepared for insults to be thrown at her but Hyeri kept shut. She stared intensely at the couple before she sauntered off for her next lesson. Eunji, Hoya and even L were surprised at her actions. That girl was just so unpredictable.

 

Though confused, Hoya went up to Eunji and took her books. “Let’s go. I’ll walk you to class.” They bade goodbye to the others and went off together in a different direction, leaving L staring at their back view in disappointment.

 

Hoya was silent throughout the entire walk and Eunji could definitely sense something wrong. Something was off but Hoya doesn’t want to speak about it. “Oppa, if there’s anything you want to talk about, remember that I’m always here for you okay?” She tried to get him to open up to her but it was futile.

 

Hoya took her hand in his and nodded silently. “I will,” he whispered, barely audible. Eunji moved her hands up to cup his face. Underneath his eyes were two very deep dark circles. It seems like he’s been under a lot of stress these days and he’s not sleeping well. She caressed his face before she stood up on her toes, giving him a peck on the lips.

 

Hoya missed that taste of her lips so much that he deepened the kiss before she could break it off, not caring if they were outside of her classroom. Luckily for there, most of the students were already in class and the hallway was empty. Hoya let one of his hands trail down to her waist and the other held the back of her head. It felt as though she was his only sanctuary right now. With so many changes in his life, he hoped that she would remain constant. While their lips moved in sync, Eunji suddenly felt something wet against her cheek. Remembering that they were still in school, she broke off the kiss only to see Hoya’s eye b with tears.

 

“Oppa—“

 

“Go on in, I’ll get going as well.” Hoya interrupted her before she could even ask anything. He didn’t want to have to answer any questions right now because he can’t even think of the answers. Eunji could only look at her boyfriend’s back view and wished that there were more she could do to help him.

 

After school, the gang was crammed in L’s living room as usual with Hoya and Eunji at the corner of the couch, where Hoya had an arm around her. Eunji was studying her literature text whereas Hoya was reading a book. The others were busy preparing for misterms as it was just around the corner. Then there was L, who was trying so hard to focus and not let the couple affect his concentration but it was just too hard. Every now and then, he would steal a glance at them and regret it afterwards because they were being so lovey dovey.

 

In the meantime, Mrs Kim was in the kitchen preparing dinner for the kids as she had invited them to stay for dinner. Hoya was unable to concentrate on his book, as he felt uneasy, even with Eunji in his arms. He needed to find an appropriate time to tell everyone this big news and he finally decided that this dinner would be the best timing.

 

“Hoya, Hoya! Are you listening to me?” Woohyun waved his hand in front of him, bringing him back from his thoughts.

 

Wide eyed, he replied with a confused expression, “eh? What’s wrong?”

 

“Could you help me with this question?” Woohyun showed him his math book and sulked due to the tough question he came across.

 

Hoya took a pencil and began solving the question but his mind was also somewhere else. *Yes, I’ll definitely talk to everybody about it later.*

 

Once everybody was seated at the table, they thanked Mrs Kim for the dinner that she had prepared for them. The table was filled with all their favourite dishes and sides that Sungyeol couldn’t help but take a whiff of the amazing smell of her cooking. “Whoa Mrs Kim, the food smells really good!” He gave Mrs Kim a thumbs up.

 

Mrs Kim returned his compliment with a motherly smile as she took off her apron. “Do eat more then. You guys are so skinny, here have some more.” She took one of the chicken drumsticks and placed it in Sungyeol’s bowl. He thanked her politely and began munching away, enjoying the delicious meal.

 

The table was noisy as usual, filled with much banter and gossip but Eunji noticed that Hoya was just sitting quietly in his spot. His rice bowl was still pretty full and he was only picking on the rice. Everyone else was pretty much done with their dinner but he looked like he had yet to start. Sensing something was most definitely wrong, Eunji stopped eating and rested her hand on Hoya’s thighs. He looked up at her and she stared back, silently asking if he was alright.

 

Hoya slightly nodded and plucked up the courage to tell his family and friends the thing that has been bothering him for a while now. Setting down his chopsticks, he cleared his throat. “Everyone, I have something to say.”

 

The once noisy dining table suddenly turned silent. Everyone was anticipating what Hoya was about to say next. It was as though they felt that it wouldn’t be some good news and they all braced themselves for what was coming. 

 

 

 

 

 


Sorry this took longer than I expected because school's starting to pick up again and I just have so many things to deal with at the moment! Thanks for waiting patiently (even if you're not waiting for me to update, still thanks for even reading this hahaha) I hope this is not getting boring or anything because I really enjoy penning down the stories in my head and I even have more planned out hahaha. I hope this chapter is a good read (at least just a few minutes of your life hahaha) 


Whatever it is, I love you all my readers! And of course my lovely suscribers and those who leave me a comment!! <3 Do leave me a comment because I love it when someone does!! (it just feels like someone cares y'know and right now in my horrible life I need someone who cares. Oh well, this is just getting personal) I hope you all have a nice weekend ahead and had a fulfilling week!!! Stay strong to those who are struggling with life because you are not alone. Nobody is. Ok I am talking too much, BYE!!