Date with Sehun's Girlfriend

You Are NOT My Type

 

The rest of the week passed unremarkably. Math got even harder, which made it easier for Jimin to ignore Hanbin. Not that he tried to talk to her either. When Friday finally arrived, Jimin couldn’t hide her anxiety all morning. Waves of doubt, then excitement, then dread cycled through her in turn.

“Stop jittering, you’re making me nervous,” said Jinhwan finally at lunch.

“I’m sorry I can’t help it!” Jimin whined, tapping her feet on the ground.

“Honey, are you worried about dinner with Sehun?” Joy asked softly.

“Echh. It’s that Sehun guy worrying you again? He doesn’t deserve you if he doesn’t see how amazing you are,” Jinhwan grumbled then hastily added, “But I’m sure he will so don’t worry!”

            “You know, guys like it when you play hard to get!” Mino suggested enthusiastically.

            “I like girls who wear skirts,” said Nam Taehyun dreamily.

            “But fortunately, not everyone’s a like you,” Donghyuk frowned at Taehyun. “Just be yourself, Jimin. That’s the most attractive.”

            “What the hell kind of advice is that? ‘Just be yourself’ is like telling a baby ‘just stand up and walk.’ If that was the magical solution there would be no love problems in the world.” Mino pushed Donghyuk away.

            Indeed, what does it mean to “just be yourself” anyway? Clearly, it hasn’t worked out so far. Anyways, if she gave herself a makeover, she’d still be herself. Right?

            “If you ask me, I think the real question is why he’s bringing his girlfriend on a dinner date with you. Or rather, are you the one who’s tagging along on his date with his girlfriend?” came Hanbin’s annoyingly conceited voice.

            No Kim Hanbin, she screamed in head. I did NOT ask you.

*****

 

“No! Don’t blink. Damn it, Jimin, you’re gonna look like a panda if you refuse to stay still,” snapped Irene as she struggled to draw eyeliner on Jimin’s watering lashline.

            “Please stop moving your head. I really don’t want to burn your forehead, dear,” advised Joy, who was curling her hair.

            As soon as Jimin had suggested that she should get a little dressed up tonight, her two friends took advantage of the opportunity to play fairy godmother for her. By the time Jimin realized that she was actually signing up to give away her freedom of movement for two hours, it was too late to turn back.

            Just when she thought she couldn’t take another second of their fussing, they were done. God, I’m so done being treated like some dumb poodle, she thought furiously, turning to the mirror. When she saw herself, however, she was stunned.

            “Jimin! You look absolutely gorgeous,” gushed Joy.

            “I approve of this look. Now, if we can get you to stick with it…” Irene reflected proudly.

            Jimin looked like… herself. But more sophisticated. A touch of eyeliner perfectly accentuated her almond shaped eyes, and her skin glowed from whatever goo Irene had smothered over her face. Joy had made sure to curl her hair so it that complimented her face shape and fell down her back in soft waves that bounced with each step. The dress that Joy lent her was fitted on top and loose on the bottom, casual but flattering.

            “Wow thanks guys. I really don’t know what to say,” she finally managed to utter. “Oh my god. Sehun just texted me. He says he’s here!” She ran around the room trying to find her keys and almost tripped in her panic.

            “No thanks needed. Just promise to have a good time okay. I would rather have a happy roommate than a sulking one dragging down the mood,” urged Irene as she pushed Jimin out the door.

*****

            When Jimin stepped out of her dorm, the first thing she saw was Sehun locked in a twisted embrace with a girl, making out furiously on her front steps. They were so focused they didn’t notice her standing there until she slammed the door with a bang.

            “Jimin! You look nice,” smiled Sehun warmly. “This is my girlfriend, Suzy. Isn’t she lovely?”

            “Uh huh. Yes of course,” Jimin barely managed a smile in their direction. Sehun was right. Suzy was probably the most beautiful girl she had ever seen. All of a sudden, her makeover seemed like a weak attempt to measure up to the real deal, who was finally standing in front of her in the flesh.

            “You may call me Unni,” said Suzy smugly, which somehow made her look even more beautiful. If that was possible.

            “Let’s go. I’m getting hungry,” said Sehun, his arms still around Suzy, who kissed him on the nose before turning her back on Jimin.

            The whole way to the restaurant, Jimin struggled to keep up with the couple, who despite insisting on gluing their sides together, walked incredibly quickly.

            It took them 15 minutes to order food, because Sehun and Suzy could not agree on the most romantic plate to share. When finally, Jimin got her Thai curry chicken with rice and the couple shared their “Lady and the Tramp Pad Thai,” Jimin realized that the torture had just begun. Suzy spent the next segment of their dinner quizzing Sehun on facts of their relationship, and rewarding correct answers by feeding him a spoonful of food. The punishment for wrong answers was a promise to buy her something on her wish-list and his turn to feed her something. Finally, Sehun announced defeat after he unsuccessfully tried to guess the color of her lipstick the day he first kissed her.

            “If was cashmere pink, Sehun. How could you not remember?” Suzy pouted, a tear threatening to form in her eye.

            “Oh baby, I’m so sorry. I promise to go shopping with you tomorrow, okay?” Sehun begged.

            “Alright then, I guess I can forgive you this time. Jimin? Are you enjoying your dinner?” Suzy suddenly looked at her full of concern. “Oh I know. Why don’t you tell me the story of how you and Sehun know each other?”

            “Um we used to take the same school bus in elementary school. He was two grades above me,” Jimin started uncomfortably.

            “Oh honey, I feel so sorry for you. Sehun here tells me he was a real brat as a kid. It can’t have been easy dealing with him everyday.”

            “Really? Sehun said that? I can’t believe it. He totally believed that he was the best back then. It’s a miracle he realizes how ridiculously he acted,” laughed Jimin.

            Soon, she and Suzy were giggling wildly and exchanging embarrassing stories about Sehun. Suzy couldn’t believe that Sehun peed his pants on the bus after daring another kid that he could down a liter bottle of Sprite faster. Jimin couldn’t believe that Suzy actually met Sehun when he spilled ketchup on her pants on the first day of their freshman year.

            “I see you two are getting along so well, so you won’t miss me if I go to the bathroom for a few minutes,” Sehun grinned at his two ladies.

            “Go go I don’t want to see you pee your pants here,” Suzy waved him away without looking. As soon as Sehun disappeared out of earshot, Suzy’s sweet smile took on a more sinister edge.

            “Do you want to know the secret of why Sehun and I are together?” She whispered, pausing to measure Jimin’s reaction. “It’s because we’re the same kind.” Seeing Jimin’s confused expression, Suzy continued. “You see, we were both born with charm, beauty, and fortune. Luck is cruel that way, and those of the same type will always find one another. Consider this advice from a sunbae, let’s say. People like you can try to shed your ugly origin. You might even succeed in fooling the unobservant. But I will always be able to see through you. Right. Under. There.” Suzy pinched her cheeks with her sharp nails, smiling diabolically.

            “You’re nothing like Sehun, you witch. You’re the one who’s got everyone fooled, but I know better!” spat Jimin, slapping her hand away.

            Suzy covered her little mouth as she laughed, “If that’s what you think, than Sehun is the one you should get to know better.” Jimin bit back her response when she saw Sehun’s approaching figure returning from the bathroom.

*****

            Later that night, Sehun and Suzy walked her back to her dorm.

            “Good night Jimin. We’ll hang out again another time,” Sehun promised with a wink.

            Hugging her close, Suzy whispered, “Remember what I told you. Don’t go where you shouldn’t. Good night.”


What do you guys think about Sehun so far? Hanbin doesn't make much of an appearance in this chapter, since he's not a big part of Jimin's life yet. But don't worry, I haven't forgotten about him ಠ‿↼ and neither will Jimin soon enough...