Let's Go Out

You Are NOT My Type

The last thing Jimin saw before she turned around and slammed the door shut was Sehun’s face in shock. She ran as fast as her legs would carry her of the building and down the stairs, only stopping once she had reached the lawn. She collapsed onto the grass and tried to catch her breath.

            Oh My God. Out of all the ways that she had imagined her re-encounter with Sehun, this situation had never crossed her mind. Why was the door unlocked anyway??

            “Jimin? There you are! I was so worried when I heard you scream. Actually I think everyone on the floor heard you scream. What happened in the bathroom?” From behind her came Joy’s voice, followed by more footsteps in the grass.

            “Jimin, my princess. What’s wrong? Tell me if I need to go beat anyone up for you,” said Jinhwan as he sat down on the grass beside her.

            “It’s so embarrassing I can’t talk about it,” Jimin moaned, hiding her face in her hands. She had just met these people less than half an hour ago and they were already going to find her a freak.

            “Dude, it can’t be worse than the time I got up to give a presentation and a fell out of my pocket,” said Mino in an attempt to console her.

            “Once I stole some of my mom’s face cream, but it turns out it was hair removal cream. It took me two months to grow back my eyebrows,” Taehyun added with his usual pitiful smile.

            “Well, it’s not that bad.” Jimin was touched that the boys were so open with their embarrassing stories even though they had no reason to trust her. “Basically, there’s this guy that I’ve always had a crush on since elementary school. He was two years older than me, and we took the same school bus everyday. After I moved away, we lost touch. But I knew that he went to school here and I was hoping to meet him again.” When she had finished explaining what had happened, everyone bursted into laughter.

            Jinhwan was laughing so hard tears started falling out of his eyes.

            “Hey, stop laughing. I didn’t even cry so much from humiliation!” Jimin complained, kicking him in the side.

            “Jimin, you’re such a drama queen. It’s not that big of a deal. I thought you’d pooped your pants or something!” Jinhwan choked out, wiping away his dripping tears.

            “Oh honey, I’m sure your crush didn’t even see your face. And even if he did, it’s not your fault the door was unlocked. Look on the bright side, at least he’ll never forget you this way,” Joy advised her confidently.

            “I’m just disappointed that you already like someone else,” sighed Mino. “But if it doesn’t work out with this Sehun guy, remember I’m always here.” Jimin laughed at Mino’s Choi Young Do expression.

Thinking back, it was probably more embarrassing that she had screamed so loud and terrified half the school than the fact that she had walked in on Sehun on the toilet. Wouldn’t it be much worse if she got here and Sehun didn’t even go to this school?

            “Why do you even like this guy anyway?” Jimin had almost forgotten that Hanbin was there, and his sudden question threw her off guard. As everyone was now looking at her expectantly, she felt pressured to justify herself.

            “He–He’s super smart. Um… he’s always confident,” She paused to gather her thoughts. To be honest, no one had ever really questioned her obsession with Sehun. It started off with an admiration for the older boy who would always have something to teach her. He would recite the multiplication table on the school bus while she was still learning to count. He always let her hold his thick chapter books and warned her about the playground politics of older kids. She admired the way he could get other kids to listen to him. Even when he was mean to her, he would smile afterwards to make her forgive him immediately. That was Sehun’s charm. He could get anyone to like him with his beautiful smile. She’d seen the way he could hypnotize teachers into letting him off for not having his homework by flashing an innocent grin. “And he can make anyone fall in love with him with his smile, “ Jimin finished lamely, finding it impossible to explain Sehun’s charm to her friends in words. She had liked him for so long that it became a habit. Something she didn’t need to live, but she couldn’t live without.

            “So basically he is the definition of a player. He can around all he wants without paying because of a smile,” Hanbin smirked as he stretched out on the grass. “I hope you guys will be happy together.”

            Jimin wanted to kick Hanbin’s overly large nose off his face. She resented his condescending attitude, and she’d seen enough boys like him who hated Sehun because they were jealous.

            “Thanks for your concern. I’ll make sure to take care of myself.” She snapped. Even when she stopped herself from saying things she’ll regret, she couldn’t keep her irritation out of her voice.

            “Lunch is almost over. Let’s go back to our classes and meet later for dinner okay?” Joy changed the subject to everyone’s relief, and the moment passed.


*****

That evening, Jimin found an empty corner of the library stacks to work on her math homework.

“Arghhhhhh I hate ing pre-calc!” She threw down her pencil and lied back on the floor with her eyes closed, massaging the side of her pounding head.

“I see math is still not your thing,” said a voice from above her. Jimin looked up and for the second time that day, found herself face to face with Oh Sehun.

            “Oh my god!” Barely stopping herself from screaming again, Jimin immediately jumped up. “H-h-hey.” She leaned against the way for support as a wave of dizziness from standing up to fast almost made her fall over again.

            “It is you, right? Jimin?” Sehun asked as he looked at her with concern.

            “Yes I’m Jimin. It’s been a long time. I wasn’t sure that you would recognize me.” She wanted to slap herself. But that would just make her already painfully burning face even redder. Why did she have to be so damn awkward around him? All she needed to do now was go and fall on her face to give Sehun déjà vu of baby Jimin.

            Sehun laughed, “I’m so relieved it’s you. I thought I was creeping on some random girl for a moment. I was planning on turning around and running away if you answered a second later. Actually, your mom told my parents that you were coming to this school too, so I’ve been thinking about when I would see you.”

            So Sehun knew she was coming? And he was thinking about her? Jimin couldn’t help feeling excitement bubble up in her.

            “You look exactly like you did before,” She said shyly.

            “You look nothing like I remember,” He responded, looking her over. “Hey, do you want to come out to dinner with me this weekend? I can show you around town.”

            “Yes, of course! If it’s not too much of a bother to you,” Everything was absolutely perfect. This was like a fairy tale come true. She was like the ugly duckling who grew up and despite all odds, became a girl fitting of the prince.

            “Let’s go to the Thai restaurant. Do you mind if Suzy comes? I want you to meet my girlfriend.” Wait. A. Second.

            “G-g-girlfriend? Okay sure! I’m sure she’s wonderful,” Jimin chirped, rescuing her smile before Sehun could see that something was wrong.

She should have expected that someone like Oh Sehun would have a girlfriend. After all, lots of girls have always like him. Once, the girls in his fourth grade class held a confession relay to see who he would accept to be his girlfriend first. Jimin immediately began imagining what this Suzy girl looked like.

            “Okay that’s settled. I’ll text you Friday after class. Happy studying,” winked Sehun as he walked away again.

 


*****

            When Jimin walked into her room, her roommate, Irene, took one look at her and asked, “What’s wrong? You look as if someone ran across your dog and is now suing you for car repairs.”

            Nothing’s wrong. Just the guy I’ve been in love with my whole life finally asked me out. On a date with his girlfriend.


What do you think? Are there any characters you want to see make an appearance?

I hope you're all having a great day. Subscribe, comment! ✿♥‿♥✿