Pretty Dreadful

This Is Silence

For a school for the mute, it has an appropriate amount of silence. I couldn't bear another minute outside or being in contact with any of the student. I don't understand sign-language. Best solution? Avoidance. So I have stayed in dad's office for about an hour today, spinning in his chair, unbothered by the affairs outside the school. I have partially given up on searching for the will for now. I deserve a break. Scrolling on my phone's contact list, my finger stopped on Joonmyeon's name. I didn't even name him as: Fiancee with lots of heart shapes behind it, I simply put: Kim Joonmyeon. He didn't need the exclusivity.

 

전화 킴존면

Call Kim Joon Myeon?

 

"I think I will be working on the research from Gwangju from now on…

Yes, I understand. But give me time to sort out this school. I don't think it will be much different if I start my studies from here. There are teenagers around here…somewhere." I called Jongdae from the office instead. He is the only guy I could ever depend on, work-wise. He was a year senior, though so, he doesn't seem to boast his impressive personal experiences on researches, ever. He was more than willing to help when he heard I was caught up with Dad's will, and the sudden change of priority, came upon me.

 

"Maybe we will. It's not a bad idea." He said, the sound of the tip of the pen tapping on his work desk was loud enough to get through.

 

Mdm Moon politely knocked on the doors, and I spun around to see her. I stood up from the chair to greet her. "I'm busy, I'll call you if I need anything, ok." Mdm Moon gave her wrinkly smile at me as she sat the coffee on the table.

 

"We are having lunch. Join us" She said.

 

I don't even know if I was ready for this. I can't even do any of the sign-language, despite having a father who has mastered it. Escape plan. Escape plan. "Mdm Moon. I actually needed to go to the town and have some documents copied. Since our office's copy machine is down, I should get going. Send my regards to the kids." I hurriedly walk away and bumped into a 13 year-old boy. He glared at me rudely. It was an intense stare, the kind that brings chills to your bones.

 

######

 

Lift is extremely slow today, Joonmyeon thought. The mirrored doors of the elevators had him looking at his own reflection. Leather briefcase, Parker fountain pen sits in the pocket of a dark grey GQ tailored suits, and a pair of Allen Edmund's black leather shoes to match. Not forgetting, mangagement ring he had. It had him wondering, what she's doing right now. Maybe he will call her after the meeting with the mediator ends.

 

"The chances for the plaintiff to agree on this circumstances are relatively low, you know that right?" Kyungsoo glances at Joonmyeon. Four of his years in paralegal, particularly involved in mediation affairs made him one of the few that Joonmyeon goes to when in need of fellow professional views. Kyungsoo held the door open for Joonmyeon and calls his assistant for beverages. It's not everyday the highly respected lawyer comes to see him. Joonmyeon pinches the bridge of his nose with his left hand and his ring brought unwanted attention. Kyungsoo knows well about the engagement, he was there when it happened. First guy Joonmyeon hugged when he got the news. "How's she?" He asked, with a peasant knowing smile. This friend of his rarely talks about his girl, but the love of a person isn't determined by the casualties he'll talk about them. A man who never talks about his dog, loves it very much the same as those who do. Joonmyeon hung his head back.

 

"She's angry at me." It wasn't the first but, it shan't be the last. Joonmyeon sighs heavily. Kyungsoo being single all his life could never really relate to this, but if engagement if anything like his relationship with his mother, he might be as experienced. Without the kissing and make outs. Of course.

 

What's a relationship without turbulence, right?

 

"Anything related to work?" Kyungsoo brazenly asked. He never wanted anyone out of the circle to know about his relationship, but Kyungsoo is in the circle. Even if he starts speaking of it, would he understand?

 

Joonmyeon straightens up when the assistant came in with a glass of rice wine, and a cup of warm green tea. "Something about that. You know her father's intricate way of writing wills, right? She's accusing me for having the will, and not telling her. You know how she's not that close with her dad, and after the engagement, she accumulated suspicions on my existence, and my actions. She never really want to talk about it. She just…I don't know. Sometimes I just want to know what she's thinking about." Joonmyeon gets a sip of his green tea.

 

Kyungsoo's norms are to drink before noon. The only time he was allowed to drink. He thinks it helps him to think out of the box. It sometimes helps him, but most of the time, he gets sidetracked and vulgarly rude. In contrary of his outer appearance, who is nerdy and seemed to be easily manipulated. He believes that soju (rice wine) would also diminish his cravings on sweets and sugary items. It works, but it makes him super hungry at night. He swirls the liquid in the glass, thinking an appropriate reply on Joonmyeon's situation. "…Crack her head open and see what's inside, right…" Then the whole room was filled with snickering laughter. Joonmyeon tilts his head to the side, thinking. It sounded wrong no matter how he puts it, but he appreciate the humor that comes with it. Kyungsoo could be an sometimes, but no one else would know how to deal with his relationship troubles, but him. "I just hope that she'll tell what she's thinking of, and maybe, I could understand. Instead of leaving me in the dark most of the time." Joonmyeon murmurs.

 

His phone rang, and it was an unknown number. It could be one of his client, so he answers hurriedly. "Hello. Babe?" He looks at Kyungsoo. And Kyungsoo mouthed, "It's her?"

 

Joonmyeon points out of the door, and Kyungsoo nodded. "What number is this? Why are you calling from this number? Where is your phone?" He bombarded her with legit questions. But he sensed that if he continued, she'll curse at him. "I've been robbed."

 

With those three words, and those three words only, Joonmyeon was out of Kyungsoo's paralegal office, into his Lexus and off to the road. "…Songpa-gu Police Station, okay."

 

#####

 

"And you are?" With lazy eyes, and uninterested expression, the policewomen asked Joonmyeon the moment he steps in. "…Kim Joon Myeon. The fiancee." After filling up the police report forms, he came and joined her. She's been hugging her legs since he came, and isn't saying a word about the incident. Crimes know no boundaries. It was broad day light, and out of nowhere, a purse was stolen and identity cards were gone. "He wore this mask. Deadly pale. I almost think it was the vampires." Her eyes were wide, gazing boringly to the floor. As a fiancée, he wanted to do all he can to protect her. But like he said, crimes happens, whenever and wherever. That's why people like him can keep his job.

 

Joonmyeon wanted nothing more but to touch her hand, and give her a hug. But judging from the circumstances, he would not be as comforting.

 

Watching the couple from afar, two policewomen, young and middle-aged, starts talking. "Who's the good looking one in suits?" The young one asked. "The fiancee, apparently." The middle-aged replied while flipping pages of the printed reports. "…They don’t look like a couple." She commented. "More like siblings." Thefts were not rare in the district, having at least five to six cases of thefts per day the police were not surprised at the ranges of varieties that the gang has come up with. But this case in particular, were some what different. Because the stolen items were retrieved in less than three hours, and lines of suspects were caught within the same time.

 

It is as if the thief wanted to be caught.

 

"They say they have lined up the suspects in the room, and if you could identify the culprit, we will punish him by the courts of law. But before we get to the blacks and whites, we need to identify who did the crime, okay?" Joonmyeon helped you up.

 

The two way mirror makes it difficult for you to identify so you requested to be in the same room as all the 12 suspects.

 

"I wouldn't recommend it sir, because three of the suspects are in gangs." The young policemen whispered to Joonmyeon. I pouted, and held the mask tighter to my side. Joonmyeon held the conversation and start to find a win-win solution, like he always does in difficult case. "…How about me? I have guards around the clock, and I'll take off this ring, so they won't know that I'm in any relationship with her, how about that?"

 

Joonmyeon steps into the well-lit room where the suspects stood in a straight line, facing the two way mirror. He wore an ear piece that allows me to talk to him. When he entered, the three people with the gang tattoos squared their shoulders. "Move." I commanded, and Joonmyeon goes to the suspect next in line. I could tell that they were holding their breathes as he passes. "Move." I put on a hawk eye as I watch him moves. Joonmyeon wasn't nervous, or scared. He leisurely walks from one person to another despite all the careful observation from the officers. This could turn ugly in just a second. The images of the thief flashes in my mind. I could remember the scent of the street, to the color of his hood. Yes, he was in hoods. Grey. He was thin and tall. Pale. He wore a hat.

 

"Stop." I whispered. Joonmyeon eyed the young man in front of him. Visually good looking. She better not get distracted by this boy's look. Tilting his head to one side as he swallows in this boy, giving him a spine chilling stare while the boy looks ahead, chewing his lips. Joonmyeon's eyes reaches just underneath his chin. "Put the mask on him please." Joonmyeon dugs into his pocket and took out the mask she's been holding since morning and fixed them on this boy. "Stupid." I cursed. Joonmyeon spuns around to see the two way mirror, looking annoyed at her. "…It's him." She smiled. Though they can't see each other, they understood what the other half is trying to say. Joonmyeon leaves the room after the 8th suspect. Two policemen came and turned the boy to face the walls behind him with force. They handcuffed him, and dragged him into his cell.

 

"The boy's name is Oh Sehun. Nineteen. He's a well known trouble maker, but never actually caught in theft. He's usually around downtown making illegal art works. He was a senior in a school nearby, but was expelled last year, for unreasonable school leaves and other complaints undisclosed by the school. He's been on the streets since then. He's an orphan, but has a step mother. His step mother doesn't want anything to do with him, so he works on and off in a cyber café owned by his step dad. He rarely had scrapes with law, but I guess he got bored. A pretty dreadful life…the boy leads." The policemen explained as this Sehun boy was detained.

 

"Drop all charges…" I whispered. Joonmyeon looks at me in disbelieve. He can't process what he's hearing. "This boy just stole your purse, I am not going to drop all charges…" Joonmyeon protested. "For my sake. He's just a boy!" I cried. "Maybe he needed the money. Maybe he was hungry." I added. Joonmyeon slams the files in his hand to the table. "I didn't drive half an hour for you to joke around." He muttered. I pulled his arm to face me, "Do it. For me." It was a threat. He's gotten through this situation more than once with me, why can't he handle another sudden change of mind? I thought it was wise to punish the boy by law, but once I've heard his story, a lot possibilities comes to mind. He was just a boy. Life was unfair to him. Doesn't mean I have to be one of his mishaps. And I'm taking Joonmyeon out of the situation.

 

He may not understand this now, but he will. Later.

 

"I don't know why you're doing this," He muttered angrily when we both got into the car.

 

"…I didn't know why he did that too.

Fairly enough." I replied.