Fiduciary

This Is Silence

"I've been trying to reach you since morning…Are you running away with my money?!"

 

Joonmyeon huffs angrily, "…Please. You have more than I do. And my fiancee took my phone." Joonmyeon isn't a fan of coffee, really. It gives him headache, but the assistant failed to get that memo, so he dismisses her, after she left them on his table, before flushing them down the toilet, later evening. For now, let's leave the bitter Americano alone. "Did you get yourself in trouble again, Chanyeol?" He fixes the bangs of his hair, leaning in closer and quickly regrets it because he just saw a zit on his face. That's going to double in size, in two hours, he's sure of it. Chanyeol took awhile answering, awkwardly laughing it off and then, the laughter died down. "…It's my Chevrolet. Tried to sell them on eBay. Did it. New owner comes back. Filed a fraud. I have 5 million won clogging down my throat right now, and it's pilling. I'm starting to stink like badger's and I have police reports tailing behind me."

 

He s his suit and hangs it behind his leather chair that the boss bought for him, before sitting comfortably, putting the phone on loudspeaker. "…Same old, same old ha…"

 

"Dude, I'm riled up in a corner kay, I don't want to say I'm desperate, but I'm way off my comfort zone here. I got no one else, I ain't going to stick someone else's up with my . It's okay if it's you. Because you're the family lawyer, a'ight. Though I still couldn't prove that you've been sleeping with mom, but if I could, that would be a great blackmail item, you dig?" Chanyeol always talks in a slur manner, and possibly, only Joonmyeon could ever understand his strange metaphors and choice of words. He's the only son of a wealthy family who own chains of restaurant and cafes around Gangnam, jobless and an attitude to match. But his family pays good money. Not that he needed any, but Chanyeol would be of good use one day. Venues for wedding dinners, birthdays and anniversaries. Children's birthdays, maybe.

 

The thought alone made Joonmyeon smiled. If a tiny effort is put on, for a scrape of glittering future, why not… He had a picture of her on his table. And when everything is fairly difficult, she takes the pain away. Though the pain were partly from her as well. "…Same money. Fax the report to the office, and call me only on my office phone…for now." He paused. Chanyeol listens well. Of course, he could end up in jail, if he doesn’t. "The fastest we could get into court is within two weeks, and I suggest in the mean time…try to stay out of trouble. Seriously." Joonmyeon advices in a tone only older brothers would use.

 

"Two weeks??! I can't do that long!" Chanyeol whines loudly.

 

Joonmyeon glares at the phone, and put his arms on each side. "…Or two months. Your choice. I mean, I didn't get your in this , you did." He loses his patience, and started on what he rarely does through the phone, which was cursing. "…And you won't find any prove of me sleeping with your mother, because A) She's fifty-one, and, B) I AM ENGAGED."

 

"I can line up a few girls…" Chanyeol sang. Joonmyeon slammed the phone down. If there's anything he'd rather protect, it would be her, and this relationship…what ever it is.

 

He had at least 5 fountain pens lined up before him. But amongst the Cartier, Caran de'Ache Varius, S.T Dupong Elysee, and Visconti Van Gogh, his favorite was, Parker Sonnet. The oldest, and cheapest one of the bunch. Why? She bought him that. The only gift he ever received from her. Though her father mailed them to him, but she signed the card that came with it. That alone, made him the happiest man ever graduated law. The fountain pen once stained his right hand for three days straight because of leaking resulted from the fall down the court's stairs the day after he got them. But he sent them off for repair, and is still paying for the bills until last summer. The pen is three years old, as old as their relationship.

 

He gets funny jitters every time he uses them. The metal body of the pen clinks with his titanium mangagement ring that he chose to wear. It had clean silver finish, and nothing else. Like a wedding ring, only it's not in gold. He turns his attention to them, wondering what the other half was doing.

 

######

 

Where did he put them? Where else could he put them?

 

"I smell something burning." Mother commented. I scrambled to the pan and took them off the stove. "That's why you should never scold your mother for accidentally burning food. Karma strikes, don't it." She hadn't moved from the couch since I got here, and I huffed angrily as the unstoppable puff of smoke made their way up and around the kitchen. I opened the window to let them out, and cursed at my equally fogged thoughts. How is this more important than anything in life right now! I could finish three researches with the time I'm using to figure out dad's treasure hunt. I feel like giving up sometimes.

 

I am well off. I have a car. We'll manage with a piece of 25 year old Vespa in the garden. Why would I ever bother myself to find his will for me? What's obvious is that…

 

"Appa didn't leave me any wills. He left nothing for me, eomma. And don't you dare tell me, it's Joonmyeon that he left behind. There's nothing in him. I've been with him two years now, and I am considering to call off the wedding. It's not going to happen sooner, and obviously, it's not going to be happening at all, at this rate. So you can forget having a son in law. Or a grandchild." I settled the pizza box on the table. I have decided that, until dad's will is officially Joonmyeon's concerns, no one is cooking on that stove. For the sake of us all, and the neighborhood we lived in. Firemen are put to rest.

 

Mother peers at me. "You two have been together for three years, actually, and I can't have a grandchild? What did I ever did to you?!"

 

"We'll adopt," I shot, and dipped my slice of pizza in mustard sauce, pulling them nearer to my mouth, and stopped, "…As the years gone by, things get more expensive, and pizza toppings become so little…what is happening to the world." I whined. Mother looks at me briefly, and threw the pizza where she got them, and pinch my waist until I scream in pain. "…That's why I asked you to marry a lawyer, you inconsiderate child!

 

It's a very dangerous world out there to live alone, in a city, even! That-that-that ring in your finger, do you know how difficult it is to get one, when you're in that age, single, and living in the city? You could get younger guys, sure!

 

 But they leech out on your money, and when you've gone wrinkly, and your money is all gone, so are they!"

 

I hissed loudly in pain, making it clear that I certainly disagree with the child abuse that have just occurred. "…How can you be so sure that he won't leave too." I pouted. Mother looks at me, clearly still fuming.

 

"I don't care. You will give me a grandchild. Don't think I've not heard that you had been stalling the wedding. Why am I not even surprised. Do you really aim on getting wrinkly alone…" She reaches the back of her head and massaging herself, while chanting, "…Aigoo. My back."

 

I gave it a long thought. And if you think I was getting near into believing the idea of marriage with Joonmyeon, you're wrong. "…I'll adopt a cat." And right there and then, I knew, I'm going to wake up with bruises around my waist and thighs. All from my mother's doing. And me, being my loose cannon self.

 

#######

 

After last night brawl, I figured that it might be wise to make myself busy away from home. Mother's home in particular. She almost shunned me out of the house when I said I was going to tell Joonmyeon that I will be okay without him. I decided that I would continue playing the game Appa started, and maybe finish them, if I'm lucky. He maybe just forgot that he wrote the will in another paper, and accidentally put an empty one in the envelope that he eventually handed to his lawyer. So it could still be on his desk. Back at the school~!

 

"This is a surprise, we had no events today…right?" Joonmyeon answered the call on the first ring, and sounded rather pleasant today. Though he was ecstatic, he couldn't hide his uncertainty. Is there something he's forgetting? Was it her birthday?

 

Putting on her Bonia wrist watch on her left wrist, she placed the phone on her dressing table on loudspeaker, because she didn't want a hassle. There's an easy way to live, why make things difficult?

 

Peering her eyes to the phone, she leans toward her mirror, "…No. No. I just needed a second time drive to the orphanage. I wasn't clear with the road you drove, that day. I was… busy… getting angry." Satisfied with her thin make up, she picks up her phone and put them on her ear, "…Are you free right now?"

 

Tilted forward and sprinting his arm to see his wrist watch, he asks again, for confirmation, "…Right now?" Mock trial is in two minutes, and although he's one of the senior lawyers in the firm, he didn't think it was the right thing to do to miss any. After all, the mock trials were his only revision on how to tackle difficult cases, now that he's graduated. It was the only activity that springs up in mind once he's out of ideas on smart questions to ask in order to win a case. But would you deny half day with the women you love?

 

"Give me half an hour."

 

I perk my brows. "…Half an hour?"

 

"Twenty. No. Fifteen, tops." Joonmyeon missed mock trial for the first time in five years, that day. He got into his black shiny Lexus, and throw his briefcase to the back. Let's just hope the traffics fine today.

 

######

 

Hurrying out the door, I caught the lift going down. As I panted inside, I slip on my ring. Can't believe I just left without it. I catch my own reflection on its doors, and started unnecessary deep thoughts. It has become my identity, this ring. It's sparkle on my finger is now a part of me. I was incomplete without it. Quickly, my mind replays the conversations I had with my mum. She still wore that ring dad got her. Even after his death. I guess that's what she's trying to tell me. That loyalty…

 

The lift door opens. "…Want to grab lunch before we go, or on our way?" Joonmyeon smiled at me. I must have looked stunned, because he came over and feel my forehead. "…I thought you had fever when you look at me like that. Is everything okay? Did you forget something? I can go back upstairs and get them for you." He lowered his head to see my eyes. But I fixed my bangs, and force out a smile. I fiddled with my ring, and reminded myself, what I needed to do that day.

 

Joonmyeon shuts the door next to me and he starts driving. "…I brought some coffee from office. Cappuccinos. The way you like them. So…shall we start on the journey? Keep your eyes on the road okay." He instructed.

 

Mother tried to tell me,

That loyalty…

... is expensive. Simply that

 

 


[Author Note]

Ugh...Suho/Joonmyeon is . I'm sorry. *splashes self with cold water*

Thanks for the love!