0. Would you please sign Visitors' book?

Would you please sign the Visitors' book?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind was blowing mercilessly through the quiet street of Seoul and this was probably the reason why Junghan felt like smacking himself for his own stupidity. It hadn’t come across his mind to spare a little more seconds just to grab his jacket before storming out of the house. He was too upset to use his proper common sense at that time; too blinded by rage, anger and frustration.

His fight with his dad was not the first time, but it seemed that as month passed, his father hardly pay attention to him. They hardly spent time together like they used to be when he was younger. He knew it was childish, but he couldn't help it. He had lost his mother at the tender age of 7 and his dad has become his hero ever since. He would tuck him into bed and cuddled with him until he fell asleep, or doing a Disney movie-marathon every weekends while eating pizzas and other unhealthy junks. Or maybe that time when he was a little older, the road trip across Korea and that times when they went hiking. Those were days where it was just two of them.

Things started to change when his dad went on a business trip to Canada.

He said he won't be long and will be back for the summer holidays to spent time with Junghan and he had been planning his holiday ever since. But then, his summer dreams shattered on one humid night, a week before it even began.

Junghan, meet Catherine, your future mother. He had said. He still remembered it loud and clear. He couldn't missed the fact that his father was smiling brightly at him while gazing lovingly at the woman beside him. Their entwined hands showed how much they loved each other and for once in his life, Junghan lied.

He had lied when he said he was happy that finally his father found his loved one and he had lied when he said he was looking forward to having a motherly presence in the house. Of course he couldn't tell the truth to his father. That would break him. He has been raising him without a wife and to be honest it's about time he got one. But Junghan did not want to admit it, as much as it was true. His selfish desire was afraid; afraid that his father wouldn't love him anymore once he got married.

He has been trying to behave, though, as much as he hated her. Junghan actually felt relieved when he knew that Catherine didn't choose to move in before marriage. Even if she came like, nearly everyday in a week, as long as she didn't sleep here on his house, he didn't mind.

Then it happened.

His dad was out for groceries when she showed her true colours. The fight had ensued and his dad just had to choose the wrong timing to enter the house. He hit me!! She shrieked and cried dramatically, limbs flailing and disgustingly clinged to his father. Seeing the trashed kitchen, his father saw red and before Junghan even utter a single word, he slapped him, so hard that he was thrown to the floor.

Junghan could only choked back a sob, tears flowing freely to his cheeks and before he knew it, he fled out of the house, ignoring his father's plea. And the fact now he was freezing to death in the middle of street was probably his own fault and stupidity too. But the cold he felt prickling his flushed skin was nothing compared to the continuously pang of betrayal he felt right now. He didn’t know what to do anymore; he didn’t know what to do with his dad, he didn’t know what to do with the witch, he didn’t know what to do with their upcoming holiday plans, heck, he even didn’t know what to do with himself anymore.

The long-haired boy knew it from the start. From the first glint he saw in Catherine's eyes the moment they met. It was the fortune she was after. She did not love him like how he loved her. Junghan's heart constricted at the thought and found himself suddenly struggle to breathe. Out of all woman in this world, it just had to be that witch that his father fell in love with.

His continuous train of thought was cut short when he felt himself colliding with something and a scorching sensation on his chest that came after that.

“Ow! What the—“

“Oh dear! What have I done? I’m terribly sorry. I have not used my poor eye properly. Here, let me help you up.” In amidst of hissing, Junghan looked up and his sight was welcomed by a sight of a fat, jolly man with top hat, wearing a colourful coat and a rainbow-coloured umbrella extending his gloved hand to Junghan. The man was smiling, but there was something eerie about that smile, the way the man’s too large ears were perking up when he looked at him and the way he smiled from ear to ear. This had successful in churning Junghan’s stomach and he couldn’t help but felt slightly frightened.

The man had kept looking at him and his still extended arms were unmoving, somehow giving an impression that Junghan had to take it. Seeing how the man eyed Junghan intently, the long-haired boy reluctantly took the man’s hand and let him helping him up on his feet and to his surprise, the man was gentle, too gentle, as if he was made of glass.

Junghan watched as the man’s eyebrow turned into frowns. “Not good.” he heard him say. “We need to get you changed before it can leave burn mark on your skin.”

Well, it kind of already left one anyway, Junghan wanted to say, but decided against it since he wanted to play it safe. “Um, it’s alright. I’ll go and changed once I got home.” the pretty boy found himself stammered, or maybe chattered, as he unconsciously draped his arms around his body. “Then, I shall take my leave before it gets too dark.” He continued as he took a final bow to the man, trying his might to refrain himself from scurried away from the creepy man.

Yet, a strong grip reached his wrist and Junghan visibly tensed. “Oh no, no, no. No can do. It was my fault in the first place so please let me do you a favour.” The man said in a mock guilt and Junghan dared himself to turn around and face the jolly man, along with forcing out a strained smile.

“It’s really okay, sir. I’m fine. There is no need—“the words had died in his throat when the man, forcibly yanked the pretty boy forward and dragged him through the dark street. “Non-sense! You are going to come to my shop and I’ll have some nice and clean clothes for you to change onto. I’m not letting such a pretty doll like you, wondering around in the dark street of Seoul, with coffee stain on your shirt! That is just absolutely outrageous! A blasphemy!” the man exclaimed animatedly and Junghan winced slightly at the firm grip the man has on his wrist.

The 17 years old boy opened his mouth to voice out a piece of his mind but quickly shut it up when he realised that he would never get a chance to speak as he watched the jolly man continuously talking. Walked straight, turn left, turn left, right, right, left ,left then another right, then walked straight from approximately around 20 blocks, then turn right, left, right, left, right, right, left, left, left, right, walked straight, right, left, right, right…

Junghan felt like tearing up.

There was no way in hell, he’ll be able to memorise his way home. And they had been walking for— 27 minutes, he checked. And along those times, the long-haired boy had tried to wriggle free from the talking man, but decided to stop the fruitless attempts since every time he did; the grip on his wrist doubled the strength. And along the journey, Junghan hadn’t been talking either.  He kept his eyes firm on the talking man and once or twice, he would look around the street, desperately to find someone who can help him.

And much to his nerves, there was nobody around.

Cold sweats trickled his pale cheeks and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter