Chapter Four: Nora and Veggie Soup

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chapter Four: Nora and Veggie Soup

When Jaebum first woke up he noticed a wonderful aroma floating through the air. Breathing in deep Jaebum stretched out his limbs, his shoulder making a sick but satisfying popping sound as he did so.  Then he remembered something…his home never smelt like freshly cooked food and two his bed was much firmer than what he was laying on. Opening his and sitting up quickly Jaebum looked around before he heard a sharp mewling sound. Look the side said he saw a very confused and sleepy kitten who had been tossed of Jaebum’s chest when he rose so quickly.

“Oh goody your awake, dinner is almost ready. Also you weigh a lot less than you look like you should, are you eating properly?” Jinyoung said looking at Jaebum from the living room. The divider that Jinyoung normally had in place was moved so Jaebum could clearly see the other man’s apartment.

“Um I’m sorry, what exactly am I doing in your bed?” Jaebum asked before looking down at the kitten that was tugging at the sweatpants he was wearing. That’s right…he got caught in the rain and rescued this kitten. He didn’t remember falling asleep though, just drinking something warm and delicious.

“You passed out, I knew being in the rain couldn’t have been good for you. I moved you from the kitchen table because I needed the space, plus waking up with a crick in your neck can’t be comfy,” Jinyoung said, closing the journal he was writing in to get up and head to the kitchen.

Jaebum followed the man that way, but not before straitening up Jinyoung’s bed and picking up the kitten in his hands. Jaebum watched as Jinyoung moved around the kitchen with ease, mixing this and that together before placing many vegetables into the pot on the stove that was radiating such a wonderful scent.

“Who taught you how to cook?” Jaebum asked taking a seat, placing the playful kitten on the table. He watched with mild interest as the kitten tried to grab at his fingers. The small girl was pretty cute.

“My grandpa did, that’s why he trusts me with the shop. It’s been my dream to take it over for years now.” Jinyoung said before reaching for two bowls and dishing out whatever was in the pot. When he placed it in front of Jaebum’s face he wouldn’t help the gurgle that came from his stomach. Jinyoung was right, he probably wasn’t eating very well. His job kept him so busy he hardly had time to cook actual meals.

The dish in front of his was a soft inviting red with swirls of different vegetables inside. Jaebum had never had homemade soup before… this was nice. Looking up from the kitten that was sniffing around his bowl Jaebum saw a spoon in front of his mouth. Jaebum blinked a few times before Jinyoung pushed the spoon closer to his mouth and said, “Open wide!”

Sliding his mouth open just enough for the spoon, Jaebum carefully wrapped his mouth around it before pulling the soup into his mouth, it was delicious.

“Is it good, it’s a new recipe I’m trying out for the shop. Is it too spicy? Grandpa says I overdo it sometimes.” Jinyoung asked concerned.

Jaebum just shook his head no before picking up his own spoon to eat more, “No…it’s really good, thank you.”

Jaebum couldn’t help but watch as Jinyoung put the same spoon that had currently been in Jaebum’s mouth into his own bowl and take a sip. For some reason the sharing felt intimate almost…shaking himself from the thought Jaebum pushed the kitten aside with his finger as she tried to get closer to his bowl again.

“That kittens real fond of you for saving her life, what are you gonna name her, I can’t just keep calling her Jaebum’s furry baby now can I?” Jinyoung asked, smiling brightly at him.

Jaebum never thought about it, but he did find the little girl cute…and having a cat at his home would make it less lonely.

“Nora, her name is Nora now.” Jaebum said, scratching the girl’s belly.

“Ohh that’s cute! We have to get more things for the girl, you have to spoil her rotten.” Jinyoung said before going on and on about a little boutique pet shop he knew about. Jaebum was about to say something until a loud sound of thunder was heard. The pounding rain could easily be heard on Jinyoung’s windows. Great now how was he gonna get home…

“Aw man that …um I don’t think it’s a good idea to go back into the rain. I don’t mind you staying here, you can take the bed while I sleep on the couch?” Jinyoung asked, concern written on his face.

“No I can take the couch…if you really don’t mind?” Jaebum asked looking at the boy.

“No! You are a guest you can’t sleep on the couch, um okay how about we share the bed. It’s pretty big and it’ll be like a sleep over.” Jinyoung asked smiling wide at Jaebum.

Jaebum once again thought of all the red flags that a normal person should get in this situation but once again his brain seemed to not care, and the word, “Sure” was already out his mouth. Jinyoung was very happy to hear this as he practicly shoveled the food in his mouth before getting up to take the dishes, but Jaebum stopped him and said, “I’ll do it, it’s the least I could do. Why don’t you go get ready for bed?” Jaebum asked.

Smiling Jinyoung nodded before heading to the bathroom. As Jaebum washed the dishes he looked over at Nora who was laying on the table, before sighing. “Just what exactly am I doing?”