Coffee Stains

When You Remember Me

It was a slow day the afternoon I met Jang Dahee. I was on my break from pilot trainning, stopping by a shop to get coffee. The place I went to was a usual for me. The people knew me by name and I'd memorized the daily faces that'd come in around that time. That afternoon however, a new face appeared in the shop.

Her hair tied up high with bouncy soft curls, with caramel brown highlights. Her eyes twinkled from the furthest distance, her lips a peachy pink color. Her skin was pale and dusted with a rosy pink at the apples of her cheeks. Her jawline was defined and her nose shape was soft, her forehead tiny and her eyebrows slightly arched. She sat at a table by the window with a notebook in front of her, her tiny hand holding a dark blue pen as she wrote notes. As I purchased my coffee, my eyes fell on her. I couldn't stay for long but at the same time I wanted to stay and watch her. How to approach her, I didn't know at the time. Never had I felt my heart beat be out of my chest just at the sight of someone.

How do I talk to her? Do I sit beside her or ask her about the weather later? Or maybe I should ask for the date? I couldn't think straight. I'd never gotten so stupid and unconfident in my entire life. I couldn't say a thing, I was mute. I decided to leave her be, to not say anything to her because she probably wasn't going to come back anyways. I knew I wasn't going to get anything out of that. 

My eyes fell down to the ground, and I took a sip from my coffee before I was suddenly hit by another presence. The hot coffee went from my hand to my shirt, drenched in the bittersweet drink. I look up, and there she was. She let out a gasp, running towards a table with napkins and gently rubbing my gray shirt. 

"I am so sorry, I hope you aren't mad. I'll pay for your dry cleaning bill and everything, my apologies." She said. Her voice was like a song to my ears, her scent like honey nectar from the heavens. My hand raised to pull her tiny one away from my chest, and she quickly julted with her hand pulling backwards from mine. Her gaze fell to the floor, and she pressed her lower lip into a thin line. She bowed multiple times towards me, her hair bouncing back and forth in springy waves.

"It's alright, I'm okay. You don't have to pay for anything, I'm fine." I said, and her teeth attached to her lower lip. Her hands folded behind her back, her shoulders small and her figure petite. Her eyes twinkled as she stared at me, and what a divine twinkle it was. She took a step to the side, my eyes following her as she did so.

"It's okay if you're angered by me. You're drench in your coffee now. I'm going to purchase you a new one." She said, moving over to the counter. I wanted to refuse her offer, but I could tell that she wouldn't take my forgiveness unless I let her pay for my coffee or something. I slipped by the counter next to her, and she slowly turned her head upward. She had a face of guilt on, and I simply patted her head. 

"Hey, it's alright. I don't like the idea of you buying me coffee however. I'll buy the coffee, all I ask is that you stay a litte while longer with me. Can you do that?" I ask, and she froze in her spot before slowly nodding. She followed me back to the table by the window, my coffee in my hand as she was beside me. She sat down across from me. The shop fell a bit more quiet than normal.

"So what's your name? I don't think I've seen you before." I spoke, and she placed her things down beside her. Her scent radiated from her seat to me, the sweetest of it almost making me dizzy. Her lips curled upwards for the first time, warming up to my presence a bit.

"Oh, do you come here often? My name Jang Dahee, I just transfered here from Busan to finish up my fourth year of college. What's your name, and what do you do? Are you still in school?" She asked. I shook my head, my hand wrapped around my hot coffee. She placed her hands into her lap as I took a sip, my eyes however falling back onto her.

"Ah, so you're my dongsaeng. My name is Kim Mingyu. I'm a student you could say, but not for university. I'm training to become a pilot now. It's really quite interesting, I can tell you about it if you want." I grinned lightly, and her smile never faded. She placed a few book down onto the table, her hands falling back into her lap again. She shifted in her chair, one of her legs crossing over the other.

"Wow, a pilot? That's really cool. Hmm..I'd be alright with you telling me about it." She said, and I nodded towards her.

"Alright, well it's kind of like driving school but with more studying and you can go out a lot more with the plane. The uniforms are awesome, I think you should know." I let out a light laugh, and she did so as well. 

"Ah, your uniforms are cool? You should wear your uniform for me sometime, that would be interesting." She said.

"Alright, I'll wear my uniform for you sometime. I have a dear friend in training with me. His name is Wonwoo, we occassionally stop by together.  Anyways, Wonwoo and I are finishing up on our rating and stuff. It's a big step, knowing pretty soon that I'll be an eligible commerical pilot. I'm very praised within the district. You should fly with me sometime." I said. A grin formed on her face, her hair shuffling towards her left shoulder in a long ponytail. 

"Wow, that's so cool. I've always liked the idea of flying, it seemed so glorious to me. You should take me with you one day, I've never met a commercial pilot in training before." She spoke. I felt at ease. I was getting something out of the conversation. Everything she said seemed like a 'next time you see me,' and I was quite excited for the next time. She seemed just as interuiging as her physical features. 

"Why don't you go into it yourself as well than? Aviation is quite an adventure." I spoke, and she nodded with her gaze kept on me. A laugh slipped from her lips before she shook her head, letting out a soft sigh. 

"You're a lucky one, Kim Mingyu. If I got into aviation, I don't think my father would be very happy with me. He's put me in law school for the sake of me becoming a lawyer. Honestly, I hate it but he thinks it's a stable career for me. I follow whatever he wishes, he's the only parent I have left." She said, before she looked towards me with a slight tilt of the head. I shifted back in my chair, nodding a bit.

"I have you know aviation is a very stable career. The payment is great, and you'll be doing something you enjoy. I don't see what's so wrong with that as a career. I think you should go for it, Dahee. I mean, you never know. If you don't like it then you have something to fall back onto, working in law. But I think you should do it, you seemed to really love the idea of it." Her lower lip pressed into a thin line again, her leg shaking under the table before she grinned at me.

"Mingyu-ah, this may seem strange but I'd like your number. You can tell me more about your job. Truly, I'm intruiged. However, I have classes starting soon and need to get going." She slid her phone across the table. "Put it in contacts please." 

I picked up the phone and typed in the digits, putting my name into it before handing it back. I really didn't think this could happen, not ever in my life. A coffee stain led to a conversation with a wonderful girl that shared the same interest with me. Indeed it was tragic that she constantly followed her father's wishes instead of chasing after her own. We both stood up from the table, and she picked up her things. 

"It was wonderful getting to learn a bit about you. We should meet up some other time." She spoke, before leading herself out this door. I followed along shortly after exchanging a few words with Seung Cheol, the son of the coffee shop owner. He worked there part time when he was off from his other job and he had no classes. He was a very hard worker, one of the best I've seen in my life. 

"So, are you into that girl?" He asked with a laugh. 

"Yeah, I'm into her. What's so funny about that?" I asked as he cleaned off the counter with a grin. 

"I could tell by the way you looked at her. But aren't you afraid that if she meets Wonwoo here that she'll end up falling for his charm rather than yours?" He asked. That had never occurred to me. Wonwoo was a huge flirt with an ego that couldn't fit through the door, he knew exactly how to charm a woman. I shrugged lightly and brushed it off, all though it bothered me internally. 

"Wonwoo is whatever. Wonwoo can find another girl, but not her. She's too special for him." I spoke, and Seung Cheol nodded. I showed myself out, and he hollered 'have a nice day' from behind the counter.