Three

Unexpectations

As I packed my groceries in rustling paper bags, I saw Yixing running towards the pay desk.

“Wait for me!” he yelled while he started to throw the content of his shopping basket up onto the desk.

“Don’t rush yourself, I’ll wait.” I finished packing and carried the bags down onto the floor.

“But you’re in a hurry!”

“If you keep stressing you’re gonna break something. Calm down!” I yelled back. He seemed to calm down a bit and instead of throwing everything he intended to buy onto the desk, he carefully lined them in perfect rows and then packed everything in a bag after it had been scanned by the cashier.

Exactly two minutes and thirty-two seconds later we were ready to leave the supermarket and start going home. Yixing talked almost all the way there and whenever he got a word or expression wrong, I corrected him. He told me about China, how he grew up and how his father used to sing for him.

“Hyejin…” he said in the midst of his story. “Thanks for keeping me company, I really learn a lot when I’m talking to you.”

It was odd for me that someone would be so thankful for just having me listening to their endless talking about anything and nothing, but it felt good when he said it.

“Truthfully, I haven’t gotten to know so much about a person so fast before.”

“Is it okay? I would also want to know more about you.” he said with something that actually sounded like genuine curiosity in his voice. I felt even better now, but tried to hide the excitement.

“You do?” I was speechless.

“Yeah! Tell me about yourself. Like what you like, what you dislike, what your childhood was like. Tell me anything!”

I had to think for a moment.

“Well, first off…” I started and I felt like I could go on for an eternity. All my uncomfortable feelings towards Yixing were gone like a gust of wind and his expression, like he was actually really interested, like he actually cared, boosted my confidence. If I didn’t have any self control, I could have easily told him all my secrets, no matter how dark or deep. I would have told every single one of them. At last we arrived at my house and I opened the gate. That’s when a peculiar feeling struck me. I didn’t want him to go.

“We’ll leave our bags here and then we’ll go for a walk around the area. I’ll show you around.” I suggested.

“Really?” Yixing’s eyes lit up and he looked like a child on Christmas.

“Yeah, really.”

I couldn’t believe I was doing this.

I went through the gate and took off my shoes before entering the house.

“Mom?” I yelled. Mom came out of the living room and clapped her hands when she saw the grocery bags I had brought for her.

“Thank you dear! What would I do without you?”

“Go to the supermarket yourself?” I joked and she laughed.

“You’re a funny one, aren’t you.” she ruffled my hair.

“By the way mom, can you take care of this bag too, it belongs to someone else but we’re going for a walk.” I handed her Yixing’s bag with strange grocery products I didn’t even know existed, but she accepted the bag and went into the kitchen to pack up.

“Invite your friend for dinner too, will you? I’d love to see some new faces.” she said from the door opening.

“Sure!” I quickly said and ran back outside to Yixing who was waiting by the gate.

“Are you ready to go?” I asked him, already knowing of what he was going to say.

“You’d bet!” he exclaimed and I laughed at his excitement.

We walked the whole afternoon, talking, exploring new places, getting lost, laughing at ourselves. I invited him for dinner as mo, had asked me to and he instantly accepted the invitation. Oh, my parents’ faces, when they realised that the friend they had invited for dinner was a foreign boy, was priceless.

“So where in China are you from, Yi…-?” my dad awkwardly asked Yixing, awkwardly trying to initiate a conversation.

“Yixing. I’m from Changsha in Hunan. That’s in the south-east.” Yixing seemed to be fully accepting of the fact that my parents weren’t used to his Chinese name.

“Don’t we know the Wu family from around there too?” dad asked mom.

“They live in Guangzhou, dear. That’s far from Changsha, isn’t it Yixing?” mom said calmly.

“It’s not the other side of the country, but it’s quite far.” he nodded in agreement.

“The son, what was his name again? Lifon? Yifan? Anyways, he’s a nice fellow. I liked that boy.” dad continued.

“That was because he was the only one ever who didn’t fall asleep when they were watching basketball.” mom whispered to Yixing and giggled. 

We finished dinner and it was time for Yixing to go home.

“Thank you so much for the meal ma’am. I have never eaten proper home-made Korea food earlier, it was very good eat.” Yixing said and bowed to mom.

“He means it was delicious.” I translated when I saw her puzzled face. After only one day, I could easily understand his way of talking.

“Ah!” she answered in realization. “It was nice having you here Yixing, please come back again, we have more food that needs to be eaten.” she smiled and patted his shoulder before going back into the house.

“Can you find your way home by yourself?” I asked and thought of what he had said about getting lost earlier the same day.

“I hope. Maybe I’ll go daydream like I said before. But we managed to find the way to where I recognized the area, so I think it’ll be fine.” he assured me and ruffled my hair.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye then.”

“Goodbye Hyejin.” Yixing turned around and walked out the gate. I heard his footsteps stop for a second when the gate had slammed shut, but a little while later continued away along the street until they disappeared into the night.


Hello again guys!

This chapter had been lying around for a while because I wasn't quite satisfied with it, but I fixed it and here it is!!

And to you whom have subscribed, you're the best!

Stay awesome everyone!