Such A Boring Ceiling

Me Before You

 

September, 2015

"Did you say no to Yunha again?" asked Kim Jongin on the other side of the line.  

Chanyeol loosen his tie. He leaned back on the arm chair, feeling tired after a long day. Back to back meetings, intern interviews, a firing and almost an hour of apologizing and motivational pep talk in the lounge (because apparently she can't handle rejection very well) had drained all his energy.  

"I'm busy and tired," he answered shortly.  

"Don't give me that . I know you're going to bury your on the couch playing Fallout until your eyes burn when you go home."    

"Or maybe, I'll have a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate and sprinkles and watch The Notebook then go to bed, you never know." Chanyeol grinned, twirling a pen on his desk.  

"Such a girl." Jongin snorted.  

"Thank you." He chuckled.  

"Can you at least, once in a while, accept one of her friendly invitation-"

"You know it's definitely not just a friendly invitation," He interrupted quickly.

Chanyeol knew how big of a crush Yunha had on him. Since the first time Chanyeol met her when Jongin introduced her as his new secretary and she turned pink when he said hello. Then she started making extra coffee for him when she was supposed to make it for only Jongin although she would put four cubes of sugar when he preferred only two, and lunch boxes on his desk with cute notes, and flipped her hair every now and then when they were talking and giggled to things he said. It was pretty obvious. And sometimes it bugged him.  

"I do. But come on, it doesn't hurt to go out."  

"But once I go out with her, then she will keep coming back and it will hurt her once she realizes that I'm not really into her or any relationship." Chanyeol explained, rubbing his eyes. He really needed to rest.  

There was silent on the line and then there was a sigh.  

"You know there will come a time where you have to move on y'know?" said Jongin, concerned.  

"But not now." He said monotonously.  

"It has been more than a year, seriously."  

"I notice that."  

"I don't like seeing you like this." Jongin's tone was  becoming more serious."

You have to go-"  

"Look, I am completely fine."  

Lie.  

"I am capable of managing my own social life,"  

Lie.   

"my mental and emotional state,"

Lie.  

"and my heart."   

A big. fat. lie.  

Truth be told, Chanyeol still carry this enormous burden on his shoulder and a vacancy in his heart and it gave him a sense of sadness and rage and all kind of emotions that even his vast vocabulary can't describe since she left him.  

"Don't worry about me," he finished.    

 


Chanyeol twisted the door knob of his apartment. It's dark and cold. Almost as cold as his heart. And it was very quiet. The sound of his keys echoed on the hallway. He sighed. Why did he always feel so blue coming home? He used to like coming home; there were always the smell of apple pies and chocolate cake, and vanilla perfume and her giggles would fill the air.....  

"Hey, dummy! About time you come home!" She skipped and jumped up on him and giggled as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Why do you have to be so tall?"  

"You're just short," he chuckled, wrapping his arms around the circumference of her waist.  

"Nope, you're just tall," she said, placing both her palms on his cheeks and slightly squeezing them before she planted a kiss on his lips.  

 

 Snap out of it!  

 

 Chanyeol shuffled to the hall. He dragged his feet to the couch and lied face down. Everyday was just so tiring.  

"Baby, what's wrong?" She whispered as she sat on the floor, pushing his thick, jet black hair away from his face.  

"I didn't get the promotion..." He mumbled, turning sideways on the couch so he was facing her, but he avoided her eyes.  

"Aww.. I'm sorry," she leaned her body closer, planting a kiss on his forehead. "Maybe next time," she said, curling her lips into a soft smile.

"It's just... I worked hard on that project.. And i really thought I would get it..." He sighed, a bit frustrated and disappointed. He turned around and stared at the ceiling.

Such a boring ceiling.  

Mia stood up and climbed on him, sitting on his middle.  

"Why is Ed doesn't have a girlfriend?" She asked randomly.  

"Ed? Who is Ed?" He raised an eyebrow. Mia always had this weird thing of asking a random question at random time.  

"Just answer me" She rolled her eyes.  

"How am I supposed to know? I don't know any Ed!"  

"Just answer it! You're ruining the joke!" She slapped his chest and giggled.  

"Fine! Because he's gay?"

 "Because Sheeran! Shee rannnnn!" Mia laughed her heart out. Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

"Oh, come on! It's funnnnyyyyyyyyyyyy!" She leaned forward and pinched his cheeks. "Laugh you !"  

He placed his hands over hers and pulled it away gently. He chuckled at her attempt on making a joke, and looked into her eyes.  

"Stop being so cute," he laughed, cupping her chubby cheeks. 

"Sorry, can't help it," she grinned. "Was born this way." 

He pulled her closer and leaned in close enough for their lips to touch each other.  

"I love you," he murmurred before he kissed her with all the love he can offer.  

Chanyeol opened his eyes and sighed. He stared at the boring ceiling, his mind wondered when will he ever get Emilia Holland out of his mind.