Getting There. [FIN]

Our winter, Our Spring (REVISED)

Present

 

He didn't know how long they've been walking or when they had come to a stop, with him sitting while she leant on the railings of the walkway that cut across the reedbed. There was a respectable distance between them. Allthroughout still hadn't spoken a word nor looked at him still.

Internally frustrated at how the visit had been going, Jongin strainfully yet softly called her name when she suddenly spoke. 

"Are you doing well, Jongin-ah?" Her voice was gentle and peaceful.

Though slightly surprised he smiled and nodded, "Neh." 

She nodded and smiled at his response but still didn't look back at him. Not wanting to stall the conversation he decided to ask the first question that ran through his mind.

"So...how'd you know about this place?" 

She looked at him now. "Oh c'mon dongsaeng-ah, you should know by now why," she said rather jokingly. Like he had told her how he had been in a relationship back then.

Yes, he understood. Reading the novel brought back a lot of memories and also a clearer understanding to Jongin. She had known him and watched him from afar even before they had first met personally. It was part of the basic facts about "EXO's Kai".

However, while her bestfriend was rather expressive, she was more reserved in expressing her interests. She was also stubborn in her convictions that she didn't show a single sign that would be so obvious to anyone, or to him at least.

 

She treated everyone well, she did her best to be a shining ray for those around her. No one could've guessed right away, if her heart had been touched by anyone because she always loved those around her.

But that special passion she had for writing, she shared with him.

He didn't suspect much back then. But her intentions were sincere- he could tell from the last chapters of the story, more than half of which they had written together.

But like the female protaganist in the story, she could only be strong to a certain extent. Jongin still remembered that part of the story.

"I will always support you, Boseok. But our paths are going in different directions, and you know I can never be dishonest...especially with you," Jinae reasoned. She was doing her best to hold back her tears.

"But do you have to leave? Why can't you go on your journey with your friends? Why, Jinae?"  Boseok's voice was filled with confusion and pain. He was losing his bestfriend.

"Because you've become more than a friend to me Boseok! Can't you really not see it?! "

Boseok's eyes widened and he was lost for words.

"And I know you love what your doing. And I know how much you love Mina," Jinae added. She looked up at him now, tears freely falling. But her bestfriend couldn't hold her gaze, as he looked away still rather confused. She raised her hand to cup his cheek- the first time she ever touched him,- and made him look at her.

"I'll come back when I can be Jinae, your bestfriend again. You know how much I want to treat people I care about with sincerity. But know, I'll always be cheering you on, Seokkie~"

She tiptoed to kiss his forehead. Boseok was stunned, and could only watch her as she walked away.

 

What felt like a minute of silence passed by them again. Jongin believed that there was a chance that the friendship they had could be restored, or else she wouldn't have come when Sehun called her to know that he wanted to meet. It was like this even when they met at the entrance to the park. Besides the short hellos they exchanged it was him who offered that they take a walk before getting breakfast. She only nodded and smiled a little, her eyes downcast. But now that she spoke to him first, Jongin felt like this was his signal to push just a bit more.

"How are you doing, noona?" Jongin carefully asked. His voice so gentle as a friend's hand bringing comfort to a tired soul.

The air was beginning to warm, the sun being fully out in its place. But the breeze was still cool, carrying the calming fragrance of the sea. Faint chirping of the birds started to fill the air, as those of the crickets slowly died down.

And for the first time in those moments, she looked at him fully in the eyes. Jongin couldn't help but smile widely at her. Finally.

One year ago, that winter those same eyes reflected a pain, he somehow knew he couldn't take away. Through time, what was left of that tearful winter night was all but little, if anything still. 

 

She smiled back at him releasing a breathe she had been holding in, "I'm getting there Ini-ah. I'm getting there."

 

 The beginning of the new day, bloomed with the spirit of spring.