Runaway

Our winter, Our Spring (REVISED)

That was the last night, EXO had time to themselves. Another round of countless tours and fanmeetings filled their days and nights. Jongin's sisters would come over whenever they knew he was home, bringing him food and tonics. But they rarely saw her then. In fact ever since that night, they didn't see each other again at all.

Howeever one snowy night, before they had to fly for Japan, she suddenly texted him.

Ini-ah, could you come down? I'm leaving Korea, the next day. I have to give you something first. 

Leaving? Jonging was suprised and squinted at the message just to make sure he read it right. He checked the clock that was on the wall across his bed. 

It was 3 AM.

Jongin was tired from practice, and the rest were asleep. Sensing the urgency, he quickly went out in his slippers, glasses and a cap on. It was a good thing he decided to wear his sweater to sleep earlier. The cold December air was enough to wake him when wind gushed over his frame as he exited the dormitory through the back. She was there, turning to him when she heard his footsteps. Maybe it was because the biting cold that her face seemed swollen under her thick scarf. 

"Here," she simply said, handing him a relatively thick file of papers that looked familiar. It was the novel she...well, they were working on.

"Ah, noon-dongah, I don't have time to-"

"I've finished it. And I think it's the ending that's right for both of them. You can read it when you have time. No rush," she said, speaking rather rapidly. 

Jongin blinked, taking her words in. He still felt light-headed but he grasped the situation as he could. There was something in her eyes though she had a small smile in her eyes. Pain?

"Why are you leaving anyway? And why hadn't you told any of us earlier?"

She looked down. "I told Jung-ah unnie. I wanted to tell you all myself but I haven't been feeling strong enough to face you...any of you. You are too busy anyway, so I didn't want to rush you all in the middle of schedules."

Her voice was restrained, and she was still speaking hurriedly.

Jongin narrowed his eyes looking at her closely. Her eyes were red, and she seemed pale.

Taking a step towards her, he asked, "Are you sick noon-dong?"

She smiled that small smile again, but this time took a small step back.

"I..." she trailed off, closing her eyes. A puff of smoke escaped her lips as she let out a sigh.

"I'll be better when I come back," she said finally looking up and directly at him with the same smile. 

There was silence between them when he could only nod in response.

He felt she needed the space, so he just nodded. 

"You should go back Ini. Take care of yourself in Japan. And," she bowed in a full 90-degree angle, "Thank you so much for everything up until now, please tell everyone that." 

When she rose again, she grinned but there were tears flowing down her face this time.

"Ah, noon-dong. Don't cry," Jongin was starting to get worried.

But she dodged his advance again, laughing. "Ah it's just the flu, Ini. I'll be fine. I'm emotional when I'm sick."

Yes, she had fallen sick for the weeks that had passed. But it was also something else. Something she couldn't tell him. She looked at him directly again, and Jongin couldn't help but feel uneasy. He wanted to know what had caused her to suddenly be like this, but something held him back.

"Be happy and healthy, araseo?" she said finally. 

"You too, noon-dong. Thank you, as well," was all he could say with a smile.

She smiled back. And with that she left.

-------

It was months since they heard from her again. Her bestfriend had come back to Korea, but they were suprised when she didn't. Her bestfriend had told them that they hadn't had contact ever since she left Korea. Her SNS seemed to be still working, but there was no new activity.

It wasn't a 'til her bestfriend took a holiday tour and visited Suncheon that the duo met again. She had returned to Korea a month earlier than her bestfriend, but she reasoned she still needed time to regain her strength so she went to Suncheon for what she planned as  "another month to heal".

Sehun who was mostly free most of the time, went to see her at the request of his hyungs. When he came back though, he was quite sullen. 

"Go see her," the maknae simply stated. "The hyungs are busy right now, and you have to go see her."

Jongin looked at him quizically, "Why me specifically?"

"Because maybe it's what she needs to finally get all her strength back again."

Jongin only looked at him more confused. Sehun saw the novel placed on one of the bookshelfs in their living room, and sighed.

"Have you even read the novel's ending yet?" 

Jongin looked at the bind of paper in question. They had been so busy, that when the time came he did have the time off, he had forgotten about it.