Chapter V

Bulletproof

282 days before

 

 

There are so many questions that needed to be answered. I’m really confused. I don’t know why some people call me Kim Hyoyeon. For these past few days, I’m bothered with so many things. Maybe I’m not really the person that I know. I haven’t had enough sleep. Joonmyeon-oppa is still confined at the hospital. He got beaten (again) by his father mainly because he stopped giving them money. Kevin and I wanted Joonmyeon’s parents to be jailed. He was abused since he was a kid. His relatives wanted to adopt him but his parents wouldn’t want him to be adopted nor be helped by anyone.

 

I went to school just to keep my mind off on these things. I volunteered to stay at the hospital but Kevin said that I can’t because examinations are coming. We called Joonmyeon’s aunt from his mother’s side to stay with him for a while.

 

“Haru, what can we do to help Joonmyeon? And can we stop calling him Joonmyeon? Let’s call him Suho.” Kevin and I are studying in the library today. We have examinations next week so we really have to focus. But I can’t seem to focus; partly because of Joonmyeon’s condition and partly because of Lay. He’s been staring at me for a while now.

“You know what Haru. call Lay to come here. He’s been looking at you since like forever. It’s bothering me. Is there something going on between the two of you? Don’t lie to oppa, Haru!” Kevin teased.

 

“Hey, Lay. Come here. Stop staring at Haru as if you’re going to eat her,” Kevin called Lay. Is Kevin being jealous or what?

“Just so you know I’m not jealous, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“I haven’t said anything, Kevin.”

Lay is inching towards our table. There’s really something about him.

“Hyung, is it okay if I take Haru out on a date?”

 

I’ve never been on a date before. Kevin and I would sometimes go on a date (but not the kind you’re thinking right now). He would take me to amusement parks and arcades. But mostly we go play at arcades, we would sometimes play basketball. Joonmyeon and I would go on dates too.

 

“Lay. Can you please come with me? Let’s talk.” Kevin said before I could even answer. Kevin is really protective when it comes to people who are really important in his life. He cares so much about Joonmyeon and I and that is something that I am really thankful for. Some people think that Kevin likes me not as a sister or a friend but I don’t think that’s true. We’ve talked about the topic about being romantically attracted to each other but we’ve come into the conclusion that it’s not going to work. Besides, the three of us do not have any siblings. I watched the two of them leave the library. Kevin looked at me and winked. I am sure that Kevin won’t say something bad that would make Lay stop being close to me. I trust Kevin.

 

Yi Fan’s POV

 

I still remember the conversation Suho and I have months ago before Haru met Lay. We talked about what we really feel about Haru.

 

flashback

 

“I really don’t like your English name. I want to change it to Kris. I think that name suits you more. Remember what Haru said about you? You’re a cold person. The name Kris, I think, is suited for cold persons like you,” Suho said while grinning. I like it when he grins. He’s not the type of person who teases you so when he does that, I feel happy. There are so many things that happened in his life that makes me think that he lost all the happiness within himself.

 

“Kris? Isn’t that name for girls? And isn’t Suho sounds like a little bit funny?” I teased.

“Suho is a cool name, okay? And it’s not funny.”

“Suho, there’s something I really wanted to ask you. Please promise me that you’re not going to lie to me okay?”

“Promise.”

“What do you think about Haru and what are you really feeling about her?”

“I’ve been waiting for you all this time to ask me about Haru. Let’s see. When I first met Haru, I thought that she doesn’t need friends. When she entered the room, I felt a big sense of independence on her. She handles herself very well. However, when I got the chance to be her partner for an assignment, I believe that I was wrong. No. I was partly wrong. She’s very independent and at that same time she needs someone to be there for her. When you look into her eyes, you can feel and sense emptiness. It’s like she’s there but she’s really not. We got to know each other, and we decided we’d be always partners in every assignments and projects. And then you came. You ruined everything.”

 

I punched Suho and we both laughed.

 

“I’m just kidding. She’s a good student. Remember when we went to the arcade and we lost the chance to study for a fifty item quiz on World History? She perfected that quiz, man.” It’s true. It happens every time we fool and mess around. “Whenever I look at her, I know in myself that I love her. I love Haru. I love her as a friend, as a sister, as a companion through thick and thin. I tried to like her as a woman, but fortunately, it did not happen. Not because she’s not my ideal type, in fact she is, but I just can’t see her that way. How about you?” Suho asked.

 

“Remember when I asked her out on a date? We went to an amusement park at that time. I tried really hard to be romantic and sweet to her. But at the end of day, we both looked at each other and asked what we are really doing. We laughed so hard, the people at the amusement park were looking at us indifferently. She’s not my type but it’s not hard to fall in love with her. But what I feel about her is the same as you. The three of us don’t have any siblings. We started to treat each other like we’re really a part of the same family and I think that’s what makes our relationship from each other more important. I hate it when boys try to flirt with her. I’m not jealous; it’s just that they’re annoying,” I answered.

 

“Hyung. Let’s both promise that we will protect her at any cost, okay? There are so many things she did for us and I feel bad because we can’t do something in return. I don’t think I could forgive myself if I won’t do anything for her. Behind her boyish acts is a sweet and caring person,” Suho said.

 

“Not to mention she’s funny too. I love it when she would cook packed lunch for us.”

 

“Hyung. Promise me. When a guy likes her let’s get to know the guy first, okay? I don’t want any guy hurt Haru. She’s a crybaby and a bit fragile too.”

 

“Joonmyeon, my brother and my friend, I swear to my grave that with you, we’ll protect Haru and love her.”

 

end of flashback

 

I never thought that this day would come. The day that a guy will ask Haru out. To be honest, I feel like her father now.

 

“Lay, I like you but I’m having second thoughts about you. We don’t really know anything about you besides what you’ve told me when we first met. You see, there are a lot of jerks who tried to ask Haru out for a date. I don’t want her to get hurt or anything. Besides, you haven’t met Suho yet,” I told Lay. I’m mentally wishing that Suho is here with me right now. These kinds of times make me miss him. “I want to know you. I want to trust you. I want Haru to trust you.”

 

“Hyung, I’m really sorry if I said those words without thinking about your situation. It’s just that I can’t hold these feelings inside me any longer. I’ve waited for so long for this moment to come. I’ve searched for her everywhere and anywhere and now she’s here, I can’t lose her again. I can’t lose again,” Lay answered.

 

I can’t lose her again? What does he mean by that?

 

“What do you mean? I’m confused.”

“I want to tell you everything, hyung. Can I trust you?” He’s looking at my eyes. I can urgency and excitement from him.

“Yes you can.”

“Hyung, her name is not Lee Haru. She’s not the person you and Suho, even Haru, you think that she is. Can you keep a secret?”

For some reason, there’s fear that’s building inside me. I want to trust this person. I want to understand the whole situation. I want Haru to be protected.

“Then who is she? She was lying to us the whole time?”

“She doesn’t remember anything, hyung.”

“Tell me what you know.”

“Her name is Hyoyeon.”

That name sounds familiar. The doctor called Haru that name too when we were at the hospital.

“Kim Hyoyeon. Her name is Kim Hyoyeon.”

 

I don’t know what could be the reason, but I feel confused and tired. I wished I should have never asked. I wish that everything will be fine.

I wish Haru won't cry.

_____________________________

A/N: Hello guys! I'm thinking of changing the title. There are lots of things that come into my mind and I want this story to be more exciting and somewhat thrilling. To all the people who have read my story, thank you! Please keep commenting and if you think that there's something odd in the story please let me know in the comments section, or message me or tweet me @byuntaehyungie. If you want to co-author with me, let me know too! :)

Thanks again!