Two

Soundscape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soundscape ch.2 

By Eiryia

 

 

Having stopped by the apartment to drop off his books, he ran into Seunghoon who was on his way out to stop by work. He placed all of his books on his desk and picked up his skateboard before returning to the humid city streets this late summer morning.

Seungyoon had sent a message in advance to check if he was welcome. The reply had arrived quickly, that he was more than welcome, but to wait until lunchtime. Therefore, he was in no particular hurry to get there. He made a short detour, buying himself an iced coffee at his favorite coffee shop before getting on his way.

Deciding on stopping by a park on his way there to enjoy his coffee, he sped up on his skateboard. Enjoying the cool breeze a bit too much as he almost hit a water hydrant before reaching the park. Seated on one of the many benches in the shade, he watched people pass. He was trying to make a plan for how to best spend the time with his friend now that he actually had time to meet him.

He didn’t really have much to go on, all he knew was that he had several recordings where this  sound appears to be exactly the same. It’s a natural sound meaning it’s not by humans, but by nature. That’s what he thought anyway, it wouldn’t be the first time he was wrong about something like this…

Among the people passing while he sat there planning was a tall slightly tanned guy with jet black hair and glasses who was walking a huge dog. He stopped at the corner a peaked down the path before turning around walking back towards him.

"Mind if we sit down for a moment? She could use a break in the shade and it’s really crowded beyond this point"

Seungyoon looked up at the stranger before moving to the side of the bench to make room.

"Sure, I won’t stay long anyway"

He replied taking another sip of his coffee. The guy sat down next to him and pointed towards the patch of grass next to him that was in the shade. His dog didn’t look to be obeying at first, eyeing him coldly but then she moved to the side and laid down.

"That place got some great coffee!"

The stranger said motioning towards his hand that was holding his coffee.

"I know right? I stop by there whenever I’m in the area!"

He gazed at his coffee rather fondly before taking another sip. It was rare for strangers to approach him like this and so he was a little unsure of what he should say. It was probably because he for once wasn’t listening to music while moving about.

"You come here often?"

The guy looked at him curiously. He had a great smile and his voice had an appealing ring to it even if it was really deep.

"No, not really I’m on my way to see an acquaintance of mine and I had some time to spare so I decided to roll by here."

Motioning towards his skateboard beside him on the bench as he said the last part. The other guy smiled a smile that looked both genuine and over the top enthusiastic for such a simple fact. 

"Aw man, I miss skateboarding! Used to do it lots before I got this lady that I have to bring along everywhere."

He pointed to the dog on the ground and gave his skateboard a longing look.

"You can have a go if you want to, I can watch your dog for you in the meantime."

Seungyoon offered with a smile. Having spoken before thinking he wondered what was going on with him today suddenly making friendly offers to strangers. He didn’t mind letting him borrow the skateboard, but watching the dog he was a little anxious about. What if it didn’t like getting left behind?

"Really? Ah, I’d love that!"

He replied then he stretched out his hand towards him. Seungyoon grabbed his hand firmly.

"Song Mino, nice to meet you."

Seungyoon introduced himself as well and handed over his skateboard before taking the leash from Mino’s other hand. He gave the dog a worried look, but it didn’t even blink as Mino got up and inspected the skateboard.

"Just a few minutes then."

Mino said before wiggling his shoulders in a strange kind of happy dance looking all excited, putting down the board and rolled down the pavement. He seemed to be a little out of it and Seungyoon hoped he wouldn’t fall, because he was still wearing his glasses.

"So it’s just the two of us then."

He said to the dog and shifted over so that he was sitting on the edge of the bench next to her. She lifted her head and blinked up at him lazily.

"Please behave nicely while your owner is away, okay?"

She got to her feet as he said it and he waited anxiously for her next move. She walked around him and then hopped up on the bench placing her front paws and head in his lap. He sat there motionless for a while, but when she stayed put he began petting her.

Fifteen minutes passed before Mino returned hair standing in all directions with a huge grin on his face. Seungyoon had started worrying if he would make it to his lunch meet-up and was relieved to see him back in one piece with his skateboard.

"Whoa, that was a lot of fun! I’ve forgotten how to slowdown it seems. I almost crashed a few times!"

Sitting down on the other side of the bench he gave the two of them a funny look.

"She likes you, that’s pretty rare."

He stated while petting her tail a little so it fell smoothly down around her. She didn’t move an inch, but kept her eyes shut and sighed a little when Seungyoon stopped petting her. 

"Don’t you have somewhere to be though?"

Mino asked after they both had spent a few minutes petting the soft fur of his dog for another couple of minutes. Seungyoon looked at his watch, it wasn’t far away but one never knew what one would run into in this city so being early was probably not a bad idea.

"You’re right. I better get going"

He said carefully lifting the front part of the dog up and placing her down on the bench.

"The northern part is closed off again, best follow the edge if you are planning on taking the fastest route."

Mino added as he waved good bye.

"Okay, thanks! See you around!"

He waved back and followed the road Mino had suggested. See you around, why had he said that? It’s not like they would ever meet again. As he got to where the paths divided he thought about what Mino had said about the northern parts of the park being closed. Why would they close such a big part of the park mid-summer and so early in the day? His curiosity irked him, but he decided he needed the time so he hurried along the fastest path towards his destination.

Arriving ten minutes early he stepped into the reception area of the huge skyscraper. He had been here once before, but it had been months ago and he felt a little uncomfortable coming here.

He was about to tell the receptionist that he was there and is an expected guest when he heard someone say his name behind him.

"Kang Seungyoon?! it’s been a while!"

Turning around he saw his friend and previous senior in school walking towards him from the elevator.

"Woo Jiho, you did well."

He said teasingly, having already visited once before, he knew perfectly well how nice a job his friend had landed after graduation. Jiho was two years older and had the exact same degree as he was still working on. Having met during a volunteer project while Jiho’s was on his last year of school they had become good friends. Keeping in touch had been hard as Jiho now worked as a music producer for one of the world’s biggest records labels, but they had managed somehow.

"Let’s go up, shall we?"

Jiho said turning around heading back towards the elevator. Seungyoon followed, looking aro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter