One

Soundscape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Story by Eiryia ch.cover by ELITEJEAN ART&GFX

Soundscape Ch.1

 

Seungyoon was walking through the empty halls of the university. Having arrived in the city two weeks before the beginning of the semester started had its benefits. No people, no hassle. He was only picking up a few books at the library for some light reading, other things could wait.

It would become hectic enough once the school year started.

Trailing the many rows of books on his way to his favorite section he thought about how well everything had worked out for him. This year won’t he be staying at some broken down flat with 4 others. He would be staying with Seunghoon.

The two of them had become friends last year having both been at the start of their master’s degree. He in music production, Seunghoon in art administration. When the water pipes had sprung leak towards the end of his stay last year and his contract had been lifted at the previous place had Seunghoon been quick to offer him to come live with him for their last year of studies.

Usually he would have refused such an offer, but having stayed many a time at Seunghoon's place last year did it already feel a like a second home to him.

When he returned to his new home a few hours later had he found Jinwoo napping in their living room. Not that there was anything strange about that. They had both stayed over at Seunghoon's rather frequently the last year.

He and Seunghoon were only good friends. Seunghoon and Jinwoo however, he was not so sure. The two of them went way back as their families where both part of a very small circle of rich families back in Seoul. Where they just very good friends? Or something more? He would probably find out during his stay with Seunghoon this year.

He wondered for a bit more about Jinwoo and Seunghoon's relationship as he walked down the long hall towards his room. Should he have asked Seunghoon how Jinwoo felt about him moving in? It weren't really any of his concern.

Having arrived at his room he proceeded to leave the books on his desk before looking around. Only a few pieces of the furniture was his own. The rest was of the fancy kind that Seunghoon's parents had furnished with when he had moved to the city to study 4 years ago.

It was all modern looking though and didn't look as expensive as they probably were.

"Think you can get used to living here?"

Seungyoon turned around to see Seunghoon standing in the doorway to his room. He was playing with a stress ball while looking around. Seunghoon always had this calm about him these days, not like back when they first met. Back then had he been all kinds of miserable and you could tell from far away. Seungyoon had never quite been able to find out what had been going on back then. That was another thing he might learn more about during his stay.

"Oh I think I’ll manage" he replied throwing himself on his huge new bed.

Seunghoon smiled and threw the stress ball at him before turning to walk down the hall.

"I’m making lunch, wake Jinwoo before joining me in the kitchen will you?"

He said before moving out of hearing range.

Seunghoon didn’t ask if he wanted lunch because after all the times Seungyoon had stayed over had he yet to turn down a meal. It weren’t that he was the typical starving student. It was just that Seunghoon was the only person he knew in this town that was above average when it came to cooking. Good traditional Korean homemade food was hard to come by. Even in a city as big as this one.

Crunching down next to the couch he stared intently at Jinwoo who was still fast asleep. Jinwoo was a couple of years older than him, but he looked like he was younger.

His pale skin, soft brown hair and light pink lips made him look almost girlish. The way his eyes glimmered even in darkness gave him this extraordinary look however. That among many other reasons was why Jinwoo was so hard to ignore. Not that he wanted to. It was more Jinwoo who never really paid any attention to him, but why should he.

"It’s time for lunch"

Seungyoon said shaking Jinwoo’s shoulder lightly. There was no reaction as he had expected. Waking Jinwoo was no easy feat when he had passed out like this. He stretched out a hand and brushed a few strains of hair out of his eyes. It was then he noticed the faint bluish circles under his eyes.

Pondering for a moment whether or not to let him sleep he trailed Jinwoo's cheek with his index finger before resting his hand on his upper arm.

To be completely honest didn’t he have any idea about what Jinwoo was up to when he wasn’t working. He knew that his family wanted him back in Korea though and that Jinwoo had refused. He also knew that Jinwoo was leading the stateside part of the family company now, that alone would be enough to give Seungyoon dark circles under his eyes.  

He gave up trying to wake him, he had arrived at the conclusion that Jinwoo probably needed this nap more than food. Also with Jinwoo sleeping would there be more food for him. 

 

 

Jinwoo woke to the sound of loud laughter coming from the kitchen. Sitting up slowly he looked around to see if anyone was close by. How long he had he slept for this time was hard to tell and so he began checking his pockets for his phone.

"Oh no" he mouthed before jolting to his feet. He was late, again! He jogged down the hall, put on his shoes and headed towards the elevator pushing the down button frantically.

Checking the time every time he had to slow down he was relieved to find that he would only be 10 minutes late this time. Last time he had been hours late and he still felt bad about that.

Stepping in to the diner 12 minutes late had he attempted in a last bit of effort to straighten out his suit. Nothing he did helped, he was painfully aware of how ridiculous he must look running around in a black suit in the middle of the summer. Everyone else was dressed in shorts and light dresses, but then again not everyone had the kind of job that he had.

Scanning the diner on the lookout for the familiar jet black hair he found him sitting a few tables away from where he stood. He was wearing a light blue loose t-shirt showing his tanned muscular arms making Jinwoo feel even sillier for wearing a suit. He went over to him in a few quick strides patted him lightly on the shoulder before asking if he could join him.

Mino looked as tired as ever, piles of paper spread around him both on the table and on the seat next to him. Jinwoo worried, even if he didn’t know him well was it obvious that Mino didn’t do a great job at taking care of himself.

"How is it going?" he asked peeking at the notes Mino currently was scribbling on.

"Made any progress?" he continued when Mino didn’t reply.

Mino looked up, smiled and held up a finger as if to say wait a minute. He went over and ordered something to drink for both of them, took of his suit jacket and sat down opposite Mino again.

It was only the third time they had met, but Jinwoo felt that he knew Mino well already. Having read his debut novel last year and loved it had their chance encounter at this dinner about a month earlier quickly become a fond memory for him to think back on.

Back then the diner had been packed and he had been exhausted. Asking if Mino had been okay with sharing a table had he slumped down and hugged his freshly pressed orange juice in silence. After a while had he become curious of what it was Mino was working on as the table had been as crowded with papers as it was today.

It was during their conversation back then he found out about Mino and his authorship. How he often sat at this diner to write and how he was struggling with the thought of how he was going to meet the expectations of the public for his second novel.

The first one had been a huge success and Jinwoo had enjoyed reading it immensely. As their conversation went on had he quickly become somewhat fond of the author as well. Mino had this warmth about him and a certain softness when he spoke, even if his voice was really deep.

Talking with Mino that day had made him forget everything about work and all his other appointments so when his phone had started frantically ringing had it taken him a while to realize how late he really was.

Because he was always running these days were his meetings with Mino such a relief, here time didn't matter. Why Mino kept agreeing to see him was beyond his understanding as he had nothing to contribute to his writing. Still now as they meet up for the third time was it as if they had known each other for a long time.

Their drinks got delivered to their table and Mino put away his notes for a bit.

"How have you been?" Mino asked taking a sip of his iced coffee.

Jinwoo hesitated for a moment, how much could he tell? Even if he liked Mino he didn’t really know if he could trust him. Deciding on partial truths he told him about how exhausted he was and how he had almost missed their meeting because he had fallen asleep.

"You should try to get some proper rest this weekend"

Mino concluded after listening to him talking.

"I would love to, but there is always so much going on and people trying to reach me. The difference with timezones between here and Seoul isn’t helping either"

He explained before taking a big sip of his smoothie.

Cringing slightly as the cold of the smoothie gave him a brain freeze he sat up a little in his seat. Someone who worked for him had just entered the diner and he was silently hoping that they wouldn’t notice him.

Shifting his focus back to Mino he gave him a small smile and met his gaze

"How about you come stay over at my place?"

Mino suggested after staring back almost so long that Jinwoo had begun feeling uncomfortable. He apprec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter